MaryJanesFarm Farmgirl Connection
Join in ... sign up
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Mold and Mildew solutions

Note: You must be logged in to post.
To log in, click here.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Insert QuoteInsert List Horizontal Rule Insert EmailInsert Hyperlink Insert Image ManuallyUpload Image Embed Video

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rabbithorns Posted - Sep 01 2017 : 07:32:04 AM
We bought a house late January and although the inspector found just a bit of mildew under the laundry room - and we could smell it and solved it with a wash of copper sulfate - but then the rains came.

We had just about the rainiest spring and summer I've ever seen for this area and the crawl space under our house filled with an earthy moldy smell that wafted up through the AC vents. The whole town smelled like it.

We blew food grade diatomaceous earth under the house and the house never smelled better and it held for a long time. But then we had devastating rains again and it started to come back in the soil under the house.

Then we used a fogger made for Concrubium. It's TSP and washing soda and it becomes a weird salt polymer when mixed with water. You can apply it around the house, it can be used on fabric, or fogged (wear serious masks). It has worked like a charm. And it's natural.

Bleach does not actually kill the roots of mold. Neither does vinegar. Diatomaceous earth coats it, dries it out and doesn't let it grow, but once the DE itself becomes damp, it turns into a surface that new mold will grow right over.

My husband has been digging out under the house to remove the soil that has mold growing in it naturally. Once that layer is removed, that area no longer seems to have a problem, so the mold seems to be in the soil and moving up into the floor joists which are 125 years old and thick oak.

I highly recommend trying the Concrobium if you have a mold issue anywhere in your home. We got it at Home Depot and rented the fogger from them. A regular garden sprayer can be used for spot treatments.

Farmgirl #473 &
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
marjean Posted - Jun 05 2018 : 09:26:07 AM
This is a great post. We are planning to move to the country and getting a manufactured home. Which will be raised off the ground. I never thought about the fact that the soil could have such a strong mold odor and get into the house. I am highly allergic to mold. We had to get our current foundation house treated professionally to kill it. That worked fantastic.

But, in a house off the ground it is good to know what to use for the soil. Thanks for sharing.

Farmgirl sister #308
Wallets & Travel Accessories, Tea Wallets, and Hankie Envelopes

Card Making Circle of Friends
Tea Lover's
FGOM 5/2018
katmom Posted - Jan 03 2018 : 08:55:46 AM
Allison,, I just spotted your post about your treatment for mold/mildew..

I was of the mindset that bleach would eradicate the mold/mildew..
So far we have been fortunate with this current house to not have an issue... but our other house back in the mountains of California has some issues due to lawn water sprinklers spraying up against the house... never really dring out.. imagain our horror when started reno work on it... we had a concret foundation,, so we just cut out the affected dry wall and replaced it.. then we re-located the sprinkle head.. Thank goodness that was a easy fix...

Thanx again for the information...

Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva! &

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page