Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Have lots of mint, have honey? This salad is 4 U
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Have lots of mint, have honey? This salad is 4 U Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  08:09:00 AM  Show Profile
This is apparently my new contribution to all family gatherings...I made it for Easter and had none left, and for the last three get togethers (including my godson's first birthday on Saturday), this is what I've been "ordered" to bring. Everyone raves, including the guys, and it's a great use of that summer mint that runs rampant!!!!

I used kiwis the last time, and will again (but BOY are they a pain!), and instead of cantloupe (because it hasn't been that great yet), I used honeydew and green and red grapes for extra color. Use whatever fruit you like, really. I bet blueberries would be great, too.

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint (I used a little more because I used more fruit)
1 3-pound cantaloupe, halved, seeded
1 12-ounce basket strawberries, hulled, halved (I used 1 1/2)
4 kiwis, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups seedless grapes preparation (2 cups)

Whisk lime juice, honey and mint in large bowl to blend. Using melon baller, scoop out cantaloupe. Add all fruit to syrup in bowl; toss to combine. Let stand 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. (Can be made 3 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  09:31:48 AM  Show Profile
Boy, does that sound yummy! And I have LOTS of mint!!! Thanks, Jonni!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

BackyardTreasures
True Blue Farmgirl

189 Posts

Anne
Connecticut
USA
189 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  09:59:10 AM  Show Profile
I make this alot during the summer and it's always a BIG hit too. It's great because as you said, you can
use any available fruit. My husband doesn't like cantaloupe so I use watermelon instead. And if I use peaches, then blueberries "have" to be added. :-) Instead of just regular mint, I also like to use Pineapple Sage...it has such a fruity taste that goes well with the fruit. And the smell is divine.

~~Anne

www.homesteadblogger.com/BackyardTreasures
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  10:01:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Ooohh! This sounds so refreshing! I'm printing it off now for use this weekend! Thanks, Jonni!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  12:25:53 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to try that, Anne (with the pineapple sage)...it's vastly becoming one of my favorites--I even painted my study with paint called "Pineapple Sage"...

I hope you girls like it--Janice, it will be GREAT for this weekend, as I think it's going to be a scorcher in the Bluegrass!!!

Let me know what you think!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  07:24:33 AM  Show Profile
I am going to add this recipe to the hand out I give people when they come to the farm. I will give you a credit line under the recipe. Do you wish me to say anything in particular about you, your farm or how this recipe came into being? I love sharing the talents of others with the people I have visit.

Also, Could I get the brand name of that Pineapple Sage Paint. I have several sage, celery and parsley greens I use on my walls in different shops and I need something new - would love to look it up.

Thanks to both of you talented gals.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/larkspurfunnyfarm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  08:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yum!! Oh my gosh! I can't wait to try this! I love mint- any and all varieties. I will have to try this with a chocolate mint... so good! I bet my fiance would love this! It even sounds like a great Sunday Brunch type salad.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  08:57:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh, yummy!! I think I will make some for Father's Day! Thanks, Jonni!!

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  5:14:08 PM  Show Profile
I made this for today's meal. I'm pretty sure that everyone liked it, as it disappeared in about 15 minutes. :) Thanks again for such yumminess.

Karin

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  1:47:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad...sorry that I've missed the posts on here..been a bit busy with travelling this weekend.

I had no fruit salad to bring home, so it was nice! Glad everyone seemed to like it, Karin. What about you?

Grace...I didn't have time to pull my "decorating book" with all my paint samples last night, but will today to get you the maker of the pineapple sage paint. It's a lovely color! Also, about the salad--the recipe is something I put together because I was trying to come up with something other than just fruit...we'd been to a restaurant where they serve fruit salad with a lavender honey dressing, so I kindof manipulated this one to suit all my mint! I have lavender, too, but more mint!

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  1:59:06 PM  Show Profile
Jonni- I loved it. I think lavender would be a bit cloying. I really like the contrast between the lime, mint and honey. (I used cotton blossom honey- delish.) Glad you worked your magic on the recipe.

Karin

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Have lots of mint, have honey? This salad is 4 U Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page