willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  08:18:40 AM  Show Profile
This makes me laugh. I saw it in Rachel Ray! A flexitarian is someone who will eat meat but prefers to eat mostly vegetables. I have eaten meat my whole life but mostly only because everyone around me does. I like chicken pretty well but really dislike RED meat. I love fish.

My husband doesn't think a meal is a meal if it doesn't have at least 1 fried meat thing and 1 potato dish! YUCK

Anyway... I want to introduce more veggies into our house. Does anyone have any vegitarian meals that even a meat eater could enjoy? I'm not sure if I could convince him to try tofu or anything unless it is really "covered up". Any suggestions?

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com

juliet79
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Heather
Worland Wyoming
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  09:08:29 AM  Show Profile
If you make a lasagna or chili, you can make the base and then just divide the mixture up between two dishes. For chili, just add more beans for you, and ground beef or turkey for him. For the lasagna, once the noodles and sauce are made, you can add meat to his portion, and add eggplant, zuccini, or extra veggies for yours. They bake for the same amount of time, and that way you aren't really doing extra work.

You can make bean and cheese burritos, and if he wants to add meat he can. We like to make "super" burritos with beans, cheese, lettuce, spinach, onions, beans, guacamole, sour cream, etc.

I make a tomato sauce base I can use for spaghetti, chili, lasagna, chicken cacciatore, etc. Then when it's time to cook, I can make one portion, or more depending on need!

If you want more ideas, I can keep 'em coming.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  09:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My mom likes to slip veggies in where ever she can. Our family grew up eating spagetti sauce with carrots in it, for example. Actually the carrots taste really good because they sort of absorb the meat taste while adding a sublte sweetness. Did you know the commercial spagetti sauces usually add sugar?

If you really pulverize veggies with a food processor, you can add them to a sauce and the veggie-phobics usually won't even notice!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  09:43:33 AM  Show Profile
MMMM those all sound good. I love eggplant! What kind of beans do you use for the burritos? Refried, whole pintos???

How about any truely veggitarian dishes where the whole meal consisted of no meat. I'd like to do one "vegitarian night" and at least one fish night per week.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  7:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Julie,
Let me see what I can get for you! I am a vegetarian and my husband and family/friends are not so my goal is always to cook vegetarian that taste and looks great to a meat eater... let me get a few together and get you some ok??
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  8:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I second the vegetarian lasagna- even my meat eating Italian Dad loved mine and didn't suspect a thing!! The great thing is you can use what you have on hand or what is in season. Right now, with the tomatoes starting to come ripe, I would add pepper, olives and some nice light tasting cheese and some homemade sauce..yummy!!!!

Another great filler for me is angel hair pasta with sauted zuchinni and squash...double yummy!!! Chop up a colorful pepper to add even more flavor and color, some onion and garlic with all tossed with olive oil.....

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  06:26:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks buttercup that would be great!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  04:51:24 AM  Show Profile
A flexitarian?!?! LOL!!! Hey, that's ME! I never heard that before!
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  05:07:52 AM  Show Profile
My husband Used to say where is the meat any time I cooked just vegetables. But when he weighed in at 250 he decided that needed to change and he started reading about diets . He liked what Dr Joel Fuhrman said in "Eat to live" He is now eating vegetarian during the main weight loss part of his diet then he will eat some fish and a little chicken and ocastionally eat red meat. I have been cooking lots of greens and beans lately and have discovered Lentils. They have the texture of meat when put in stews soup or chili. Using beef or chicken stock could add that meat flavor.
These links have lots of lentil chick pea and barley recipes all which seem to be good meat subsitutes. I have tried a few of them so far and they are all good
http://www.fatfree.com/cgi-bin/fatfree/recipes.cgi?lentils

http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/lentil.html

My husband also seems satisfied with mushrooms instead of meat (we grow our own shiitakes)
BTW he has lost 12 lbs in 10 days and with greens, beans,fruit and salad and seems satisfied but I have spent much more time in the kitchen

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  08:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
12 lbs in 10 days! Wow! I am impressed! I know that it is not always good to lose that fast, but I know that when you get a certain percentage over your healthy weight, the doctors will actually recommend it.

I love lentils cooked in chicken broth mixed with rice also cooked in chicken broth. My fiance will gobble that mixture down like crazy! Seriously! I cooked 2 cups of basmati rice and a pound of lentils and he was eating it for almost every meal!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  10:03:56 AM  Show Profile
I think that's me, too. Used to be a vegetarian but it's really hard when your dh or family prefers meat every meal.
Would he eat a stew? My favorite is called Fall River Vegetable Stew, and it has corn, potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, onion, sweet paprika, and red wine, also mushrooms which I leave out. It's really full bodied, and with a big crusty loaf of bread, I don't think you can go wrong! My dh will eat it, if I don't use "whole" tomatoes (texture thing).

I love homemade pesto (tis the season) and pasta, can't go wrong there. I also make "wheat loaf" which has bulgur wheat and grains, but you use your onion and seasonings just as you would a meat loaf. Ketchup et al. It slices well, and tastes yummy. Mac and cheese and fresh garden peas on the side.

Let's see, what else....I'll have to look through my file at home for some of the old stand-by's.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  7:19:13 PM  Show Profile
The other problem I face is that my hubby is a WICKED PICKY eater! I think all his mom made was fried chicken, fried pork chops, chicken fried steak, roast and occasionaly spagetti with meat sauce! Of course there were mashed or fried potatoes with every meal and always eaither corn bread, bicuits or hot rolls! Can you believe it! I grew up in the Northeast and we had our own garden and ate mostly vegetables, grilled meat and A LOT of seafood! I don't think I ever had fried chicken until a KFC came to town when I was in high school! My husband lost about 80 pounds the first year we were married! Of course I have tried to accomodate his food choices at least a few times a week and have unfortuanatly gained the 80 pounds he lost over the last 7 years. He doesn't really like to try new things. I love to cook and often thought of going to culinary school so this has been really hard. Dinner is a rough time in out house and I would say in our 7 years that 90% of our arguments have been about what we were eating for dinner or why can't I cook like his mother! AHHHHHH! :)
Anyway I didn't mean to complain. Thanks a bunch for all your suggestions! I will check out those websites!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  8:03:49 PM  Show Profile
flexitarian well now that i have a name for it. that is totally me cause sometimes i can go without meat for a long time and others i just have to have it but then i get tired of it and dont want it again. thanks for all the tips
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  8:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Julie,
I am getting some of mine together and copying them so I can send you what I have! I hope to have them all together by the end of the week, sure hope they will help!! Mostly, I take regular recipes and substitute out the meat for tofu or meat substitutes and cook like that, but I do have tofu enchiladas that people seem to really like, a sweet and sour chicken that is made with a substitute meat product (or tofu), a mexican salad using vegetarian chili that you can buy in any supermarket and things like that...I hope this is what you are looking for!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  05:07:25 AM  Show Profile
I used to be a flexitarian before I got pregnant. Pregnancy and nursing has caused me to crave meat, but I figure when I'm done nursing my little boy, I'll probably go back to eating less meat than I used to.

If you haven't gotten into making bakeovers, I suggest that you do, since they're a great way to make a dinner with little or no meat. I'm also a huge fan of heavier bean/vegetable soups. Moosewood Cookbooks have a lot of great veggie soups and stews.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  10:47:30 AM  Show Profile
I think I'd try a really chunky chili with cubes of meat instead of ground beef, beans, peppers, etc. And I'd be making dishes like roasts with veggie sides so he can eat all the meat he wants, and I can eat just a little meat and go heavy on the veggies. But grownups know we don't always get everything we want whenever we want it.

Honestly, I think if my hubby was telling me I need to cook like his mother, I'd be telling him to go eat at her house.
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  1:06:08 PM  Show Profile
I struggle with this too. My husband acts like I mortally wounded him every time I suggest a veggie dish with no meat. I constantly struggle with finding recipes we can agree on. One good cookbook I have found is called "Almost Vegetarian". It has tons of veggie-only dishes but the last section has recipes for meat-eaters.

my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com --- my etsy shop:
http://rachelleigh.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  4:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rachel-

You crack me up! Your comment about your husband- I could totally see some big meat eater type guy whining and acting all "hang dog" when seeing there is little to no meat in on the menu! ROFL

Alee

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  11:22:35 AM  Show Profile
I had to laugh at Mary Ann's comment about telling your husband to go eat at his mom's. Because that is exactly what I would have said also -or- cook dinner yourself then.

WIth that, I do try to make things that my husband likes, and when the girls and I want Thai food, I will make him plain rice.

I was raised on that good old southern cooking, and honestly, although I love to cook, I rarely make anything that is typically southern food, except maybe my gramma's biscuits. We aren't vegetarian, but I like the flexitarian name because that fits me personally. I can eat vegetarian for a while and then crave a chunk of steak and go back to grains and veges for a long time. I cook more chicken than any other kind of meat. Girls and I aren't big seafood eaters, but I will make things for the guys.

THe funny thing is that my older boys eat seafood and sushi and all kinds of things we never had at home. It's been interesting to see what they will try when it's their buddies instead of parents.

But then I never had brocolli until I was married. My mom never cooked it or served it fresh. Green vegetables at our house were okra, collards, and cooked spinach. Gag.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I'm a flexitarian Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page