Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do you like your state quarter?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you like your state quarter? Next Topic
Page: of 2

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  3:39:27 PM  Show Profile
The final design for Idaho's state quarter was recently unveiled and boy, are a lot of us disappointed. Some folks are really mad. The perregrine falcon was chosen as the design of our quarter. As much as I love perregrines, I disagree with the choice of having one to represent our state on the quarter. Almost every state has perregrines. New York has perregrines. It's not even our state bird!

There are so many other more interesting symbols that could have been used: Hells Canyon; deeper than the Grand Canyon, Shoshone Falls; higher than Niagara, the appaloosa; developed and bred by the Nez Perce, the Nez Perce, Lewis and Clark, the miners, the lumberjacks, the owl that shut down the lumber industry, I could go on and on.

There is a lot of talk around here about how disappointing this is. Are you happy about the design of your state quarter?

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  3:58:48 PM  Show Profile
I couldnt tell you if Ohio has been released or what it even looks like. It wouldnt surprise me if it had a big pot leaf with boob looking nuts (buckeye leaf and buckeyes). Just really have not been paying attention.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  4:22:05 PM  Show Profile
Check out your state quarters here: www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/50sq_program/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=schedule
California is pretty cool; John Muir, Yosemite and the Condor. Elizabeth, I checked out Ohio. Its the "birthplace of aviation"...
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!

Edited by - sleepless reader on Jun 19 2007 4:22:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  4:33:55 PM  Show Profile
I like our state's quarter.(Washington) We got to vote on it even though the final was up to Governor. And the final design was the one with the most votes. It has Mt. Rainier, which is the second largest Mt. in the lower 48 and a leaping Salmon which pretty mush a state fish. And the words The Evergreen State which has always been the slogan. So I guess I'm happy. I would like to see the Applaoosa on the Idaho quarter and the Wheat fields even the Snake River. But i don't live in Idaho.
Lisa, is it a done deal? Washington just came out this spring. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  5:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wyoming's is okay. It is the bucking horse and cowboy that is on the state plate.

Some believe that the BH&R (bucking horse and rider) is representative of a legendary rodeo horse named "Steamboat" dating back to the early 1900's. One of the best known bucking horses of all time, Steamboat was known as "the horse that couldn't be ridden." There has been a great deal of dispute as to who the image of the man on the bucking horse was patterned after. (copied from http://soswy.state.wy.us/bucking/history.htm for your pleasure and edification! )

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  5:41:09 PM  Show Profile
Michigan's wasn't bad, very plain and it could have included some other things but it could have been worse...lol

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  8:21:21 PM  Show Profile
Utah's isn't out yet..it will be this year though.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  06:55:34 AM  Show Profile
AZ's isn't out yet but I did vote. There were 4-6 designs to choose from - one of the Navajo Code Talkers - which is cool but doesn't represent the whole State, one with the Grand Canyon and a Saguaro, things like that. I liked all the designs they had to vote from.

I agree about Idaho's though it's kinda plain and doesn't tell me anything about the state if I'm not from there if you kwim. Utah's has the Golden Spike and two trains on it for the transcontinental railroad.

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Jun 20 2007 06:57:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  09:51:17 AM  Show Profile
Lisa,
I agree with you. There could've been so many better representations for Idaho! I know they have the Birds of Prey refuge down in southern Idaho, but gee - we really didn't get a good quarter at all!!

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  09:55:02 AM  Show Profile
I think I remember Kentucky coming out, but it didn't have a horse on it, so I don't think I cared :)

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  09:56:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh, woops. It does. I have never gotten one, though!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  12:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I guess I never keep a quarter long enough to know what they look like. I use them in the morning when I stop for coffee/cappucino on the way to work. But when I went online and looked at Kentucky's quarter, I found it sort of sad and ironic that Federal Hill is pictured on it. Stephen Foster stayed there(not lived there) when he wrote 'My Old Kentucky Home', which is our state song. But the poor guy died at the age of 30 in a flophouse in the Bowery in NYC with only 38 cents in his pocket....so he didn't even have much more than a quarter for all his life's work. Okay, now I'm sad. :(

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  1:47:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm disappointed in the choice for IL - Abraham Lincoln with the Chicago skyline over his left shoulder and a grain farm over his right. Sorry, but Lincoln is already on the $5 bill and the penny. And as much as I *love* Chicago, it is not the "...defining community..." for many Illinoisans. Illinois has *SO* many icons of historical importance - not just Abe Lincoln, not just Chicago, and not just corn & soybeans!

Why not put "Superman" on the quarter to celebrate the lesser-known community of Metropolis?

What about Starved Rock, one of the largest natural rock formations in the state? A Native American tribe of Illiniwek were *quite literally* starved to death by the Pottawatomi and Ottawa tribes in retribution for the killing of an Ottawa chieftain.

Why not the John G. Shedd Aquariam - to celebrate it as the first public-access acquarium in the United States?

How about Ronald Reagan...40th President, born in the central Illinois town of Tampico and raised in the northwestern community of Dixon prior to his HS graduation?

How about Fermilab in Batavia, which houses one of the largest superconducting supercolliders and has been home to many of the world's pre-eminent physicists for nearly 50 years?

The "Ice Cream Sundae" was invented in Evanston, IL - at a Walgreen's soda fountain just a short distance from Northwestern University - nearly 120 years ago.

Dare I suggest Wrigley Field? One of two last remaining "...old school..." baseball stadiums in the US (the other is Fenway Park in Boston, BTW.)

A Chicago Bears uniform...after all, they were originally a downstate team (Springfield? Bloomington? I can't remember exactly where...though they've always been in IL.)

Ray Koch opened the first "modern-day" McDonald's in 1955 in Des Plaines. I say "modern day" because while he is celebrated for being the founder, he truly wasn't. Earlier franchises had been sold by the McDonald brothers of California. A milk-shake machine Koch had sold them helped boost sales at their new-fangled walk-up restaurant. (Though I must admit...the "Golden Arches" on a quarter would just be *WRONG*!!)

Any of the locks built and maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers on the Mississippi River? Of course, we'd have to share notoriety for that with MN, WI, IA, MO, AR, MS, and LA.

Oh yeah...we're more than just Honest Abe and The Windy City and agriculture.

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  4:30:25 PM  Show Profile
As far as I know, Marybeth, it is a done deal. Sad, huh? But you gals are sure educating. I never knew so much about IL. I've driven through it on I80 (scary going by Chicago during rush hour) but never really knew anything about it. I'd like to see more info on other states here. Anybody else?

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  5:35:46 PM  Show Profile
I think Washington's quarter is really representative of the state.
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:08:59 PM  Show Profile
Iowa's quarter has something to do with education and a schoolhouse. I don't get it it...how does that represent our state?! What about corn or hogs, since we produce the majority of it here in Iowa? I think that there could be a lot of better choices.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:20:23 PM  Show Profile
Montana, my other home has a good one too - very representative again.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lets see here, information about the State of Wyoming:

Wyoming was the first state to let Women vote.

Our state dinosaur is the Triceratops.

Our state fossil is the Knightia (not sure what it looks like! *blush*)

Our state mammal is the Bison, and the bird is the meadowlark.

We hold the majority of Yellowstone park which was the first National Park, designated so in 1872

We have Devil's Tower which was designated the first National Monument in 1906

We have the largest coal mine in the United States.

JC Penny was created in Wyoming.

The term "Dude" as in "Dude Ranch" was coined in Wyoming.

The "Flicka" books were based upon real life events in Wyoming.

The Red Desert in Southern Wyoming has no drainage to the east or west. The Continental divide splits and goes around the desert.

We have a river named the Big Horn River and the Wind River. They have determined a specific point where it changes names and each year the Native Americans hold a "Wedding of the Waters" ceremony.

Wyoming is one of the most Fossil rich states in the union. We are still discovering dinosaurs and have recently discovered the world's most complete brontosaurus skeleton.

Antelope outnumber people!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  7:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Alee, I really like the "Wedding of the Waters" thing. Do they allow spectators? I'd like to see that ceremony some day. The dinosaur stuff is really cool, too. I knew Utah had a lot of fossils and dinosaur bones and stuff, because I lived there for a while. But I didn't know Wyoming was THE dinosaur state. I'll have to do more exploring over there.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  8:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Lisa-

Oh yes! It is a big community event. Very beautiful! Wyoming has lots of fun "undiscovered" things that mostly the locals know about. We also host Frontier Days which is the "Daddy" of all Rodeos. Lots of fun stuff!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  3:30:30 PM  Show Profile
Wyoming is one of the *most* beautiful states I have ever been to. SO much variety, so many things to do, *SO* gorgeous! I can't wait to get back some day... ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  4:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kaylyn-

I agree! Let me know if you ever plan on going! Maybe we could have a get together! I would love yet another reason to visit home! :p

Alee

Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  10:53:26 PM  Show Profile
Well, we do more than race cars in Indiana, but according to our quarter, that is all we do!! Mighty redneck..oh well, I like car racing as much as the average person, but what state does not race cars?
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  12:36:03 PM  Show Profile
Nevada's quarter has mustangs (the horse, not the brothel), sagebrush and the sun coming over the mountains. Could have been much worse...like a slot machine or area 51.
Idaho could have used a potato, or isn't that part of the state slogan anymore?
Sometimes makes one wonder what the "powers that be" use for brains. Maybe not enough people vote and it's swayed by some special interest group.
Ronna...born in NV and proud of it :)
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  1:57:27 PM  Show Profile
I live in Arkansas and I don't really like the quarter. It has the big diamond on it which they are also now putting on the liscence plate. I know we are the ONLY state with an active diamond mine but I think the state is much better known for other things. But then again I guess it wouldn't be cool to put a meth junkie on the quater. LOL

I am from Vermont and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the quarter. I personally think it is the BEST of all of the ones that have come out!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  1:58:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh I also like New Hampshires because it features the man on the mountain. Shortly after the relaease of the quarter the man actually fell off the mountain!!! SO SAD! So it is neat that is is forevor commemorated on the quarter.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you like your state quarter? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page