Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Do you sew clothing for yourself?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Do you sew clothing for yourself? Next Topic  

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  5:36:26 PM  Show Profile
Just wondering if any of you sew clothing for yourself, or do you mostly stick to crafty things and aprons. I used to sew for myself a lot, but lately I haven't much. I was just thinking it might be kind of fun to sew a few summer tops.

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  6:08:19 PM  Show Profile
I would be naked if I did not sew... for myself. I have sewn my own clothes since I was a teenager LOL.. many moons ago..and I love it....I prefer homemade to store brought (they last longer, don't shrink and are better quality for the price....I do buy jeans and coats but no dresses...they are mine to make..

Margie

Chocolate makes my Heart 'sing"...
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  6:10:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm so happy to hear that Margie. I thought maybe it was a lot art - patterns are so expensive now and all. I spend so much time sewing for my business, that it never occurs to me to sew for myself again. That's going to be one of my new mid-year resolutions. What else do you make besides dresses?
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  6:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I do sew for myself, but I have to confess I am much more likely to make things for my girls. I guess that is just the mommy nature. As for patterns being expensive, I buy many of mine at thrift stores for 10/$1.00 (I like the older styles better anyway) or on clearance for 1 or 2 bucks apiece. I make mostly skirts and shell style tops. When I had bitty ones, I made nursing clothes. Currently, I thrift most of my clothes and embellish or alter them.

Trina

http://glitteringgoat.blogspot.com/

If you would know Love, you must know pain too. -Hannah Hurnard
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  6:42:57 PM  Show Profile
I haven't seen too many patterns at thrift stores around here but I will start looking harder! that is a great buy! I do mostly buy mine when Joanne's has their .99 sale. I never pay full price - Walmart always has them for 1/2 off at least.
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  9:28:40 PM  Show Profile
i sew skirts and formal wear for myself. I need to make some pants just have gotten around to it yet. When I tell stories I am often in costume and I make them.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com

Edited by - janetinva123 on Jul 05 2007 9:29:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  10:16:04 PM  Show Profile
Okay, you do not want me to sew my own clothes. I can sew on a quilt, I can figure out an apron, but clothes. They end up in the brown bag closet. I sewed a jumper in Junior High, I attempted a dress, I couldn't figure out the simple pattern and it and the partially done dress went in a brown paper bag to the closet, never again to see the light of day. I hadn't really sewed again until starting to quilt 5 years ago. Don't ask me to figure out a pattern, nope, not happening..... Good for you girls in sewing some of your clothes. I applaud you.
Carol Sue

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  10:31:38 PM  Show Profile
I do sew my own clothes and for the kids as well, but I also doing a lot of thrifting which often works out cheaper. So it just depends on what I am after. I will normally make my own dresses as there aren't many good ones available in the shops.
Janet, I love your blog. How is the Farm Jar going? I do that too. Unfortunately I have been doing it for years, but I think the farm is finally happening for us. I put all my change in it - it adds up really quickly. I also read about a lady here in Australia who saved up for a house (the whole amount, not just a deposit!) in five years, by never spending a five dollar note. If she received a five dollar note as change, she would never spend it - it would go straight to the savings account. So good luck with the saving - would love to hear more on the type of farm you are planning for.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  12:42:47 AM  Show Profile
I sew more for the girls, but do sew for myself too...mostly skirts,jumpers, aprons and like that now though. I hate putting in zippers. I do love to sew!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  01:07:06 AM  Show Profile
I don't do much sewing anymor--mending, aprons, etc--but I used to sew for my daughters when they were growing up. I did sew some dresses for myself but was never too happy with the outcome. I remember making the girls matching long pants and jackets out of narrow wale corduroy and then embroidering the yokes of the jackets. Those hippie little kids. Today they see pictures of themselves and say "why did you dress us like THAT", I just chuckle. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  03:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Hummm...that $5 idea is a good one. Maybe I should try it. Thanks Jayne!

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  07:06:25 AM  Show Profile
Jenny - I know what you mean about zippers! They were always tough for me to get them to look nice. When I was oh, probably 12 or 13, I got a zipper in a dress I was making SO nice - it looked perfect, so flat and even and I pickeed the dress up to go show my mom and discovered I had put it in the BOTTOM of the back seam instead of the top. I can't put a zipper in to this day without checking and double checking to make sure it's in the top of the seam!
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  07:58:04 AM  Show Profile
I stick to sewing little tops and the occasional skirt, but I mostly re-work/embellish/alter things I buy, often from the thrift. I **love** clothes by anthropologie.com but they are sooooo pricy, so I look at the website for inspiration, then have a go at something I already have.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17061 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17061 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  08:51:10 AM  Show Profile
There was a time when you could look in my closet & 80% of my clothing was sewn by me....In high school I sewed nearly all my clothes, & formals. When my daughter came along I could nearly make a complete outfit w/a yard of fabric, usually from the K-mart store. When the country/western line dance fad came in style, I sew my DH western yoked shirts & my C&W dresses. But about 17 years ago, when I went to work for the county & wore a uniform, I had no need for lt's of clothing & got away from sewing. Then pattrens started getting expensive as did fabric. I found I could buy a complete outfit for what it would cost me to sew. But...then I turned my attentions more to crafting....so it is still a win-win situation.
I do hope to get back into sewing for the love of the art of sewing not to save money.
Oh, & Jen, I too louve Anthropologie,,, my daughter & I could spend hours touching the texture of the clothing fabrics....also have bought a fe w aprons there!!!!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jul 06 2007 08:52:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  09:08:40 AM  Show Profile
Jayne, thanks for looking at my blog. I do love my blog. My daughter bought me a john deer bank that looks like a mail box so I am putting all my change in that.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  12:09:58 PM  Show Profile
I don't do much sewing for myself, I have made a couple skirts, also a couple of blouses, which ended up not fitting to well...also my 50's style dress...I do have several skirts waiting for me, one to make from a table cloth, one to finish and two to adjust.
cheers,

~Naomi~

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln
Check out my blog:http://thebellamodiste.blogspot.com/
and my Etsy store: www.shesewsbytheseashore.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  1:54:12 PM  Show Profile
I do like to make myself skirts. But I really love making curtains. Nothing fancy. Just little ditties I make and hang up in the kitchen. I used to make my twin daughters matching outfits all the time until my youngest one said, "Please don't sew for me anymore!" And, I never have.! Susan
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  2:13:09 PM  Show Profile
I love to sew & quilt for myself family & friends. I started sewing my clothes at 13 yrs.
After finding Palmer & Pletsch books, zippers are a breeze. Their instructions are easy to follow & you'll never have "zipper challenge" again. I love making funky & fun clothes. A 47 yr. body looks better in blouses or tops than t-shirts anyway! I even feel "better" dressed, even though I've got on jeans & mucking clogs.
Can't wait to make some new aprons..... :)

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  3:18:55 PM  Show Profile
Susan - my oldest daughter said the same thing to me, but when it came time for her to get married, she asked me to make her wedding gown. It turned out really beautiful - strapless, lace coveed satin and 7 layers of tulle in a gatherered skirt. We cut motifs from the lace and scatterd them over the tule, and embelleished the lace bodice and motifs with small irridescent sequins and seed pearls. She also asked me to make the bridesmaids dresses. They were not so much fun. All the same fabric, but each got to pick their own pattern.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  4:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Kristine,

What is the name of the Palmer & Pletsch book you mentioned? Zippers are the only area of sewing that I lack confidence in. I can do them acceptably well, but want to be able to do them professionaly. I'm picky.

Trina

Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  6:05:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh, how I love to sew. Now that summer is here, and school is out (as well as homeschooling being out for summer break) I feel like all I want to do is sew.

Years ago I made myself several things, or maybe it was the pattern, maybe it was the way I measured myself, but they all turned out awful. I made several different elastic waist pants that were OK, a few jumpers that were OK and some shorts that were NOT. I got intimidated with fitted clothing.

My daughter took sewing in school (called Fashion Creations, a much better name for a class) and she actually inspired me to make more corrections on the pattern to make the clothes fit better. So, now I am making things for myself again and doing that to help myself out. The clothes look better, and I feel pretty in them.

I just made a cozy big tee from Cindy Taylor Oates pattern. It is an older publication, and the tee is loose fitting. I saw in Old Navy some loose tops and thought "Why not?" It turned out real nice in a cream linen blend, very versatile for pants or skirt for summer.

So maybe you just got to find the right pattern. I love al lthe altered clothing. My daughter is big time into doing that. I use her for inspiration and need to do over jeans into a skirt and embroider a denim skirt. I plan to this summer. I think I have been stuck in the "fear of failure" long enough and want to soar with creativity. You all have really inspired me to just "do it" and "try it out". Thank you.

I used to sew for my daughter until she reached ten and decided she did not want handmade clothes. She is back to liking them and pulling things from my closet now. I liked to sew for children, very little fabric and time involved.

I like to quilt, too. It's fun to make something from a bunch of fabric and know it wil lbe loved. I like to picture my nieces and nephews wrapped up i ntheir special blankets. Some are just hung in the room, but one day I think those will be enjoyed, too.

Sewing is such a great hobby/habit. When I sew, I feel relaxed, creative and happy.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  3:37:36 PM  Show Profile
Mother Pletsch's Painless Sewing is the BEST sewing book. I've taking many classes & this out does them all!!!!

Happy zippers...in you go!!!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  8:00:19 PM  Show Profile
I made some maternity clothes for myself. Haven't had much time for sewing since the baby was born though. I've made some stuff for the baby also and stuff like hotpads and curtains. Hubby has been on me to make new curtains for the living room, especially since I threw the old ones away already. I have the material, just not the time! He hangs the bath towels on the curtain rods to keep the hot afternoon sun out!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Do you sew clothing for yourself? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page