Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Delicious: German Spaetzle with Sage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Delicious: German Spaetzle with Sage Next Topic  

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  06:49:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls,

I tried this new recipe a couple of nights ago, after finding Maggi brandh German Spaetzle (sort of an odd shaped pasta) at a local World Market store. It's yummy!

Creamy Spaetzle with Sage
Cook spaetzle according to directions, then drain. (This step can also be done ahead of time.)
Melt 2 tbsp. butter in skillet, add 2 tbsp fresh chopped sage leaves, and 1-2 chopped garlic cloves. Stir all for 1-2 minutes, then add 3/4 cup of heavy cream and the cooked spaetzle. Reduce heat to low and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with Salt and Pepper. If too thick, or making ahead of time, add more cream or milk to get the desired creaminess.

Enjoy!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  10:58:26 AM  Show Profile
Mmm. Thanks Jo. I love spaetzle, but it has been so long since I had some. I'll have to keep an eye open for pre-made. I have recipes for homemade, but I'm too chicken to try. Looks sorta fussy and messy.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  11:16:21 AM  Show Profile
I love it, too, but I usually only have it in restaurants. I felt brave enough to try this brand...and I bought a single box to try it out; cost was $4.99 plus tax, with the label saying the whole box contained 6 servings. I made only half the box as a side dish for pork chops and red cabbage dinner for DH plus myself, with enough leftover for his lunch next day. I'm going back to buy a couple more boxes, now that I know that we like it. Want me to send you a box to try?

I'd love to try (or at least read) your recipe for making it...I may find some spare time in the next year or two!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  11:31:32 AM  Show Profile
Jo, thanks for the generous offer. I'm pretty sure we've got a market nearby where I've seen it recently, so I'll just pick some up here. I'll send you the recipe, I think it's in the old Betty Crocker cookbook...I'll do some snooping around and get back to you. :) I think I'm a cookbook collector.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  11:37:30 AM  Show Profile
Well, if you "think" you're a coookbook collector, you are not alone! No rush, just send it along if you happen to come across it.

Thanks!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  09:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Your recipe sounds really yummy. I have a friend from Germany coming over for dinner soon, I'll try it out on him. I'll let you know later what he thinks!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  10:27:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jo,
I have a spaetzle lid to cut the dough directly into the boiling water, haven't used it yet so this will be fun.
Bought it at Oktoberfest last year.
Thanks,
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  10:30:28 AM  Show Profile
Is it OK to send fresh herbs through the mail? If so, I planted sage in my herb garden this year, and I have lots on the plant. So, if anyone is interested in making this and wants me to send them some fresh sage right off the plant, just give me your address & I'll put some in a little Ziplock bag & send it to you.

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  4:36:06 PM  Show Profile
It's on the stove right now, except I decided to add cut up mushrooms as well. We'll see how it comes out--it sure smells good!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  6:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Spatzle batter (from The Encyclopedia of Pasta by Bridget Jones 1994)

2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
4 eggs, beaten
about 3 T. water

Mix flour and salt in bowl, leaving a well in the middle. Add eggs, work in flour gradually, beat hard until batter is very smooth and thick. Add water gradually so you can beat the batter without difficulty. Mixture should be thick, elastic and quite "stringy" in texture, not freely pouring.

Get just boiling salted water ready. Wet a small cutting board and large, flat-bladed knife. Drop a large pat of batter on the board. Use a cutting and sliding action to scrape thin, short lengths of the batter sideways into the pan. Rinse knife every 3-4 slices so batter doesn't stick. Once the spatzle have been in the pan about 30 seconds, loosen them off the bottom with a slotted spoon, boil them 2-3 min, until swollen and firm. Drain well, place them in hot butter or the sage sauce recipe.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  6:46:10 PM  Show Profile
I have made spaetzle for years whenever I do a sauerbraten. I do the recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook and boil them in half water, half beef broth. They really turn out well this way!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  07:38:30 AM  Show Profile
Yum, thanks for the recipe, Michelle!

Jana, interesting tip to flavor the spaetzle, I bet that using half chicken broth would be good, too.

Anyone else hungry?

Jo

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  10:42:27 AM  Show Profile
Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home also has a spaetzele recipe that you're supposed to serve with cauliflower paprikash. I make this dish often. I consider paprikash to merely be a vehicle for the spaetzele.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Delicious: German Spaetzle with Sage Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page