Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Where are all the Herbalists lately?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Where are all the Herbalists lately? Next Topic  

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  12:35:43 PM  Show Profile
Gee, is it just me, or did all the herbalists on this forum go on vacation without telling us?

I confess, Herbal Wisdom is what I always read first, and most frequently, at MJF's FarmGirl Connection! I must be having withdrawal symptoms since there are so few herb-related posts lately!

So here I am whining, but does anyone have anything new and interesting to say about herbs?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  2:21:24 PM  Show Profile
My sage plant died this weekend and I can't figure out why. It was beautiful on friday when we left for the weekend. When we came back Sunday it was all whithered and dead!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  3:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Maybe everyone is out gathering herbs while it is growing season?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  06:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Julie, How very strange about your sage plant. (And thanks for feeding my addiction!)

Do you think a rodent or something attacked the plant from underneath, killing the roots, to make it wither and die so fast? Or perhaps it got watered with something toxic?

We've had a horribly hot summer in Virginia, and my sage plant is actually thriving, it's an old established plant, but nonetheless, I was just remarking last weekend that it is lush and full when everything else is dry and brittle. I'd be happy to send you some sage leaves if you need them!

Alee: I thought the same thing you mentioned, that we are all out in our gardens harvesting while we can, or else finishing up vacations and getting ready for the new school year!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  10:27:05 AM  Show Profile
It was planted inside in a pot on the windowsil. I had only started it about a month or so ago. I sure hope it wasn't a rodent! I don't think it was too terribly hot while we were gone. No hotter than it has been anyway. I watered it on Sunday hoping to revive it but no such luck. I guess I will start another. this is my first attempt at sage. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  10:46:02 AM  Show Profile
I had a similar thing happen with my yarrow that I was growing in water in the windowsill, new leaves coming out, then I go away for 3 days and come back to dried up and sad looking plant. I wonder if turning the A/C off while we were gone caused the temperature inside the house to go just high enough to affect our plant...and maybe yours if you went away for the weekend? Strange doings!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  11:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Maybe the window magnified the sun's rays and your plants got fried? Maybe next time you should take them down off the sill and put them on the floor so they can get some shade too?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  3:51:34 PM  Show Profile
You know, I did that (moved them out of the direct sunlight) last month when we went away for long weekend, so maybe I did let them overcook in the window...oops. I really hope that I am not an herb-murderer.

Jo

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Where are all the Herbalists lately? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page