Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  3:30:02 PM  Show Profile
A new topic for us -- farmgirl charity! Here's what the farmgirls in St. John, Washington, have gathered together to accomplish. Let the charity begin -- we can't wait to see your ideas!

Chalk Walk
Bring the kids downtown for Chalk Walk in St. John Thursday, August 11 from 5-7 p.m. Sponsored by The Community Current and the Pleasant Valley Farmgirls the event is set to raise funds for the new St. John Library building fund and help sponsor a cleft surgery through Love without Boundaries. For a $2 entry fee kids will receive an art pack, snow cone coupon and be eligible for prizes.

Kids will create chalk pictures on the city’s sidewalks and enjoy live music from street musicians. Rickshaw rides will support the cleft surgery trip for farmgirl Kelly Lundberg who heads to China in September on a medical team to provide aide to toddlers in need of surgery.

Snow cone sales headed up by farmgirl Lisa Swannack will benefit the new library project. As a tribute to our hardworking truck drivers, organizers will hand out free snow cones to harvest trucks that stop and honk, directly outside the Community Current building.

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  6:20:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow!!You guys have done great getting organised like that.Well done!!
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  9:23:36 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE St. John, WA!! My cousins, aunt and uncle live there (Bushnell). I've been to the Hog Jog many times (even jogged once and got a t-shirt) and my kids when they were little would join in on the parade. If any of you are near enough to attend the event you really should. It is an easy town to fall in love with. And perhaps because I have such great memories of it from my childhood, it is in my mind the quintessential small rural American town.
Kudos to the St. John Farmgirls!

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  05:21:04 AM  Show Profile
we havent done anything as wonderful as that but our farmgirl chapter(small as it is) has been taking care of the older single women in our community. We cook dinners for them, check in to see them. Our "older" member who is 86 lives in a residential home and we go there also. If we lose power after storms we go and check to make sure they have what they need. We would love to get more members and do more, eventually we will. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  07:53:38 AM  Show Profile
Way to go St. John Farmgirls!!!! You're setting an example for the rest of us.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  4:29:56 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea and actions of farmgirl charity - you all HAVE set the example for our little Utah group. When we got together on the 5th, someone mentioned service projects/community action as something we should look into. It's so important! Taking care of the older, single women in our communities seems like something we might be able to manage - thank you for the motivation and ideas. What kind folks you are.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

RosieRiveter
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Rosie
White Creek NY
45 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  2:56:39 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas! Your chapter is an inspiration!
Rosie
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  4:54:06 PM  Show Profile
How blessed we are all, we really should share more often.
Thanks for the ideas, and the gentle nudge!
I will do more good, with a group, and on my own.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  5:41:27 PM  Show Profile
Yeah St. John Farmgirls!!! You rock!!!

I choose faith not fear.

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  09:16:12 AM  Show Profile
The Clark County Farmgirls will be holding the first annual Clark County Farmgirls Outdoor Market on August 19th. 10% of our sales will benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. We will also have about 15 vendors, live music, and a food booth. All the proceeds from the food booth will go to cystic fibrosis as well as proceeds from the gift basket raffle. It will be held at Patty's farm in Ridgefield. We're excited -- it should be a fun day!

I choose faith not fear.

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  11:10:50 AM  Show Profile
Kay, that's wonderful, I lost my niece to CF when she had barely reached 5 years old. I lived in Ridgefield a very long while ago. My son went to kindergarden on I think the street was 199th? Yeah to you!

labfun in alaska
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  09:31:11 AM  Show Profile
The Cystic Fibrosis fundraiser went well. Not as many people as we had hoped for, but it was still a wonderful day. We had a little cafe area where we had drinks and hotdogs that were all donated by local stores. I ran a cake walk that was lots of fun. The night before someone from our church brought five cakes that she had baked(and she's in her last trimester). It was amazing the way people jumped in to help in any way that they could. We had the owner of a local music store offer to bring out his sound equipment and he stayed for about 5 hours. We played blue grass all day and some of the kids shared some music. My 18 yr old son and I sang God of Wonders together. He played guitar and his friend played drums while I sang. That was really special to me as it was the first time I've gotten to do that with my son other than at home.

We had five vendors outside of all the stuff we had in the big barn. There was face painting and a little play area for the kids.

At the end Mary got up and spoke about CF. Her son has CF and she has lost some special people in her life to the disease. I don't think there was a dry eye. It was very moving. It made it clear that even though we wanted to raise more than 300.00 we still raised awareness of the disease and contributed to the walk that will continue to raise more money for research each year. I learned things I didn't know as I'm sure others did. The preparation was exhausting, but I feel blessed to have been a part of it!!

As soon as I have time, I will post some pictues!!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  09:33:06 AM  Show Profile
I've decided to take on my own personal Farmgirl Charity project -- there are two elderly women friends of mine - real, true, dyed-in-the-wool farmgirls - who are in their mid-to late eighties. I've decided that throughout the winter, since they are having trouble getting good dinners made, every Sunday I'll double our big soup pot and take them a large pot of soup or stew and some rice or mashed potatoes for them to eat throughout the week. It's really not much more trouble than doing it just for my family, and I feel so good about doing it!

What ideas for farmgirl charity you have - either as a Chapter or individually? We all can make this world a kinder, gentler - and more fun! - place, one farmgirl at a time!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  1:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh Libbie, that is so sweet! I know they will just love it! We all don't realize what little things mean to others, and it doesn't take or cost us that much more! You will be blessed as well. We always learn so much for our elders!

I have to say, I failed to email you and the others about our second Strawberry Butters Farmgirl Chapter meeting last Tuesday. We had 18 women, we have made 20 blocks for a charity quilt - one of our ladies has a friend who has a very bad cancer, breast, lungs and brain. We met again this past Tuesday, laid it out, picked sashing, backing and are trying to get it put together quickly. We had beautiful show-n-tell, and lot's of goodies to eat, little prizes we drew against our sign in log, assigned some things for us to do, we're making a quilt Think Pink to sell next year and raise funds for charity quilts for others! Everyone has so much energy, and just want to do things, I can hardly keep up with it all! We are also doing aprons - Tie One On and we will wear them when we meet! We're drawing one name for those who want to participate for birthdays and have one (birthday month) and exchange a little something then. We don't have the month down yet! A second charity quilt is already in the making, I had fabrics a customer shared with me, some blocks already made, and one of the ladies took it, she will put something together, bring it back next month, and another one will take it - a round robin so to speak until we have it complete! We will share it with someone who needs it! We are doing a rug hooking class, a locker hooking class, and our Houston International Quilt Festival is the first week in November and several are planning to go together! It seems to be just what we all needed, and I am so glad to have been involved! I just love it, we laughed, talked, shared and smiled so very much, I am always tired and my face seems tired from smiling so much! Sure wish you all were here to join in! We meet at a little quilting shop, and it is standing room only!!!! But then we get lot's of hugs that way!

Thanks for listening, I am still very excited!

love, hugs, and strawberries to you all, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  6:49:16 PM  Show Profile
Gloria - that sounds like such a fun meeting - and what a wonderful group of gals you have - standing room only?!?!?! That's wonderful! Isn't it amazing how once your heart and mind are open to meeting kindred spirited farmgirls, it happens? Sort of like magic... and it IS exciting!!!

My goodness - your fellow farmgirl and her friend are certainly in my thoughts. What a difficult thing to face. I just know that she will be able to feel the love wrapped around her in your quilt. That is such a nice thing to do.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  11:55:54 PM  Show Profile
Berries,
I love hearing about your farmgirl meetings. This came together so fast and with so much energy, most times its so hard to get things like this to work. You know, people say they will join and don't show up.etc. Sounds like you have one great group, wish I could be there to go to these meetings.
Libbie, how nice to help out the two ladies, do they live together, and are they real near you? I bet they would love to see your boys too. Hey, I could have used some good soup myself last week.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  07:00:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nancy Jo, sure wish we could have gotten some soup to you! I bet that was so hard and cold. Did you have a source of heat without electricity? What do you do? Eight days is a long time! Did you get any hand work done? We all were very worried about you girl! But thank goodness you are safe.

Yes, our meetings/group is turning out to be a very good one. We have lot's of plans, and seems like everyone is very eager to participate. Our little quilt shop is working up a challenge for us, picked out some fabric - set a size limit, not to small, not to big, have to use at least 6 fabrics in the little quilt, and then fill in with whatever we want. Design something ourselves. And then they will be viewed by the public when they come in, and there will be a special prize in around June or July! So excited about that, and we are planning on all the aprons we are going to make, and hang them up in their store!

I have lot's of ideas for us, I just have to pull back on the reins a bit as to not scare them with them all. :>) But I really am surprised at how many have come, and hopefully will stay. So the Houston International Quilt Festival is before our next meeting, so you can imagine how much we'll have to talk about when we meet in November! I do have a customer who's quilt was choosen for the show that I quilted! And I will check it out!

Wish you were here to share it with me! Come anytime you want or can! I'll have the coffee/tea on!

love, hugs and strawberries, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  09:37:06 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo - yep - the ladies live real close to me - well, about 1/4 mile, and they share a little "farmette." If you can believe it, they are still raising lambs and chickens at *87* years old!!! They just love my boys, and my boys love them! William, the older (3 yrs) one really likes to go over there because their house is so different than ours - busy, dusty, full of cats and "stuff" and all of those sharp rusty things that are WAY interesting to a little boy, and, wonder of wonders, a big screen TV][:)!

I sure wish I lived closer to you, too! I'd for sure have run over with a big pot of hot stew or something reall hearty for you!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

whymsicalmysfit
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

jaime
malden washington
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  09:15:43 AM  Show Profile
Calling all farmgirls for this one, My farmgirl chapter " The Palouse Plain Janes" is working on gathering scarfs for local homeless children. We are crocheting like crazy and also taking donated scarfs of all kinds, so if anyone is able to help us that would be wonderful!! How cool it will be to warm your hearts by warming the less fortunate this winter, so c'mon girls lets spread the Farmgirl love!! I posted this in the chapter projects too...oops :)

"I once cried because I had no shoes..until I met a man with no feet"
Go to Top of Page

whymsicalmysfit
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

jaime
malden washington
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  09:17:45 AM  Show Profile
Calling all farmgirls for this one, My farmgirl chapter " The Palouse Plain Janes" is working on gathering scarfs for local homeless children. We are crocheting like crazy and also taking donated scarfs of all kinds, so if anyone is able to help us that would be wonderful!! How cool it will be to warm your hearts by warming the less fortunate this winter, so c'mon girls lets spread the Farmgirl love!!

Go to Top of Page

hotmamawillie
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Gail
Mount Airy Maryland
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  05:50:21 AM  Show Profile
The scarfs is a wonderful idea ---but would someone post the address for the scarfs to be mailed. I will be shopping the w/e and would love to drop them in the mail next week.
Today in Maryland the weather is mild--but I know the winter cold and wind is right around the corner.
Keep the love of farm living in your hearts.
Gail
FarmHeartFarmChick
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  8:59:05 PM  Show Profile
Jaime - would you like the gals who have scarves to send to you to send you a personal e-mail so you can give them the mailing address?

What a generous idea!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

TNfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Joni
Sparta TN
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  01:19:29 AM  Show Profile
You farm girls are so special. I live on the farm alone and you girls and the farm girls in my beginng chapter are my family. That is such a wonderful idea with the chalk. I love it. I am excited about getting my our little group into action.
ps of course the critters are my family too.

Painted Springs Farm
"Bought the Farm"
Living the good life in TN.
Go to Top of Page

whymsicalmysfit
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

jaime
malden washington
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  5:09:48 PM  Show Profile
Hello my farmgirl beautys!! FORGIVE my absence I have been so busy with my holiday soap making and getting everything tucked in for winter, I am behind but working hard! It snowed here in my corner of the palouse this morning!! So I hope I am not too late for the scarves! so here is my address Po box 216 malden, wa 99149! Thank you all so much for reaching into your hearts and helping your fellow farmgirl sisters! Our unique sisterhood is proving that being there for one another even in the simplest ways is changing lifes! THANK YOU! Farmgirl love - Jaime

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  06:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Carol that sounds awesome! If possible could you email me information to maybe get something like that going in my lil town?:)

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  08:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
This is a project we are doing at my son's school- Sheila Wellstone was a huge figure in not just politics but community service. She has been deeply missed by many here in MN.

http://www.ncjwpgh.org/sheila's_shawls.htm

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic **Farmgirl Charity Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page