lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  9:29:02 PM  Show Profile
I have blessed to see or have cross my path many beautiful birds lately. I know they are always there but I sometimes get in such a hurry that I forget to look up! I was having an absolutley miserable day yesterday and threw the blinds open in my office and was suprised by a flock of cedar waxwings, a pair of red breasted nuthatches and a half dozen downy woodpeckers all searching for bugs under the bark and eating snow off of a huge horse chesnut.
I think it would be fun to hear what kind of sightings you have- as a naturalist I am very interested in what kinds of birds live in other parts. It might be interesting to know, also, if just recognizing birds will help us to be more open to other creatures and sights we often take for granted. ?
Let me know what you think!

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers! ~John Muir

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  9:58:25 PM  Show Profile
I am a dedicated bird watcher--amateur of course. We happen to live near the Skagit Valley which is a wintering area for Eagles, Snow Geese and Trumpeter Swan. Also many different and unique raptors. Quite a few live here year-round too. I posted some pictures of the above birds on my day4plus blog. Last summer I saw a Northern Shrike and that was very exciting. during my husbands last illness we made daily trips into the valley and saw an amazing array of different birds. Since we have a not to cold winter climate we are fortunate to have lots of birds year-round. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  05:55:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm not a bird watcher, but I do pay attention to wildlife in general. I live in a midsized city that has a deep river gorge running right through the middle of it. I sometimes visit a large Catholic cemetery that backs up to the river. I've seen wild turkeys coming up out of the river gorge, and when I visited there a few weeks ago I was amazed to see the number of turkey tracks in the snow. There's a turkey trail as well established as any deer trail. I haven't seen the turkeys themselves yet this winter, but when I saw them before they came walking straight up out of the gorge. I was amazed that they are so surefooted.

Our area gets a lot of migratory waterbirds and raptors. I have never gone to this, but there are a lot of hawk watching events in the early spring. When I was in junior high, our biology teacher took us on a field trip to look for migratory owls.
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  8:27:05 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the news! The Skagit valley sounds amazing! I cant imagine seeing a trumpeter flying overhead! How wonderful! I am definitely looking at the pics. and I also love to see turkeys. There are a lot of wild turkeys that feed on the acorns in the foothills near my home. I know they are just turkeys but they are so cool! I'm excited to hear from you both!

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  9:36:04 PM  Show Profile
Here are some feathered friends not too far from my back door. I hope the close ups aren't too fuzzy, I used the zoom all the way it would go. Eagles and Trumpeter Swan

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  10:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Magnificent! do the swans graze in the field there? I need to get a good camera- right now I'm taking "mental" pictures (not too easy to share)!

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  10:14:44 PM  Show Profile
They are beautiful. I can officially say I am envious, Beth :D

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:

www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com

www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  10:48:54 PM  Show Profile
Lorie, yes the swan graze on the fields. They are not swimming on a lake but more of the field that is underwater from all the rain we have been having. I think that is an old corn field. It really is cool to see them. The Snow Geese come by the 100 thousands. That has been the count the past few years. Here are Snow Geese taking off. I just got a new camera with a nice zoom and it sure is nice. MB

Edited by - Marybeth on Jan 10 2008 10:50:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2008 :  4:26:16 PM  Show Profile
we have a snow goose festival in east central utah in March each year when they come to our area by the 100 thousands too! It is absolutely amazing to see.

Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  10:42:28 AM  Show Profile
Today there are a jillion little juncos in my backyard (I'm home sick from work). They are so cute! like fat little teacups hopping around. One of the few things I like about winter is the juncos! Unfortunately all the introduced species like house finches and starlings chase away all the cool, beautiful native birds- llike the western blue bird and king birds. the juncos can't be bullied though! bless 'em!

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers!
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Eyes to the skies! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page