Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Outpost
 Dh is going hog hunting...tips for me
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Dh is going hog hunting...tips for me Next Topic  

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  5:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
Ok, if he gets a hog, do I cook it like regular pork? Is it gamey ? Do I need to soak it? Help me out here girls!

Thanks so so much,
Denise

Proud Farmgirl Sister #113

http://mybigcityfarm.blogspot.com/

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  6:10:55 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest taking it to a wild game butcher. Ours has a smoker and can prepare bacon they will also prepare sausage and will cut up the other portions as specified. You could also do a hog roast and roast it on a big spit! Wild hog is one of the few game meats I have never had. Good luck.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  9:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Wild hog is gamier but very good. It makes especially good sausage!! My dad used to get one now and then..yum! My two oldest sons have gone hunting for them recently but they don't live near me so I don't get to benefit anymore!! Let us know how it goes!!
By the way...I have butchered and cooked all kinds of wild game including black bear and I don't soak meat. Just never have. I have had good luck without. I wish I were closer to you..I would help you cut it up!! Have fun!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jan 14 2008 9:52:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  06:21:50 AM  Show Profile
Is this the same thing as wild boar? My DH hunted that once several years ago and it was the best-tasting meat! Not gamey, just a little different/stronger/meatier than plain pork. We enjoyed it and I have been bugging him to get another one every since. It was really, really good. Really.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  08:36:49 AM  Show Profile
Wow. You've got to tell those of us here who have NO IDEA all about it! When he is going? Keep us updated on your experience.
Aunt Jenny, I continue to be in awe of your vast talents!
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Dh is going hog hunting...tips for me Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page