Author Outpost: Previous Topic Your "Inner Outpost" Next Topic  

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  12:28:32 PM  Show Profile
A couple of years ago I read a book called Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott. It's a great book, especially for those of us who aspire to the writing life, but one particular passage has stayed with me and warrants passing along. Fun and fruitful food for thought...

“Every single one of us at birth is given an emotional acre all our own. You get one, your awful Uncle Phil gets one, I get one, Tricia Nixon gets one, everyone gets one. And as long as you don't hurt anyone, you really get to do with your acre as you please. You can plant fruit trees or flowers or alphabetized rows of vegetables, or nothing at all. If you want your acre to look like a giant garage sale, or an auto-wrecking yard, that's what you get to do with it. There's a fence around your acre, though, with a gate, and if people keep coming onto your land and sliming it or trying to get you to do what they think is right, you get to ask them to leave. And they have to go, because this is your acre.”

In the spirit of MaryJane's Outpost, we might refer to our acres as “outposts.” These are our own internal refuges from the rest of the world, our centers, places we can go to get away from it all.

Let's explore the terrain of our inner outposts. Here are some ideas to ponder:

What does your acre look like?
Is it hilly, flat, forested, or clear?
How's the view?
What are you growing?
Is it spartan or spangled (any cute 'n kitschy lawn ornaments)?
Is it neatly mowed or unruly? Cultivated or wild?
Is your fence high, barbed, whitewashed, or rough hewn?
Who do you let in? Who do you boot out?

Anything goes!

PS - I've also posted this topic over at the outpost, so take a peek over there too! Here's the link:
http://www.maryjanesoutpost.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8737

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  5:14:19 PM  Show Profile
Partially wooded, partially cottage wild gardened

forested with little hillocks
How's the view?
Lovely, wild and green
What are you growing?
lots of wild roses, berries and a bit of everything else
Surprise ornaments in tiny wild grottos, wooden benches, gazing globes, bird bath, sundial....and a rope and wooden seat swing in the woods for contemplatin'
Unruly and wild in an intentional kind of way, with paths and enough cultivation to let you know that some crazy, wild lovin' gal lives here
White washed, what the heck, it's my acre
Anyone can walk in my garden, but they have to mind the fairies and magpies and pet the cats

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  5:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Coastal cottage garden, wild flowers, grasses everywhere with a few nice trees to hang a few hammocks on. I also require a spot for a pool that blends into the landscape.

Some hills (for DS to race up and down) and then flat with some trees to put down a picnic table or seating area.

How's the view?
Near the ocean with a view.

What are you growing?
Large vegetable garden heavy on the tomatoes, onions, peppers, peas, green beans, squash, watermelons and lots of irises and sweet peas and whatever native colorful flowers grow in a humid, tropical environment.

Must have a mandatory hot pink flamingo and some sort of garden protector.Alot of paths to walk throughout the gardens and seating/hammock areas. Lot of adirondack chairs tucked in here and there. Play area for DS.

Wild and unruly, not too overly prepared. I would like something that looks like God carefully parted a spot and put down my little dream beach cottage. Also, less to mow. I could spend all day weeding but not mowing.

How about a rough hewn, white washed but worn out fence. Something that looks like I really built it. Must blend in with the landscape. I like the look of a gray weathered fence.

Everyone is invited who wants peace, to munch on a hanful of peas while lounging lazily in a hammock. I would like to see those wearing aprons and cowgirl boots, but anyone can come!! I just ask to be respectful and to the little critters that may visit, please do not eat all my gardens up and please don't scare me to death when I come upon you unexpectadly.

Oh and please do take the time to play with one boisterous boxer and the multitude of animals you may find.

Cheers,
Heather

Edited by - catscharm74 on Jan 18 2008 6:28:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  9:18:26 PM  Show Profile
Mine is hilly and a portion of it is forested.

How's the view?
Green! Tall flowing grasses waving in the breeze and overlooking a pond with woods around it.

What are you growing?
Tomatos, cucumbers, strawberries, raspberries, snow peas, green beans, salad greens of all kinds and poppies.

Mostly it's pretty plain, maybe a short stone wall around the garden area.

Wild, besides the garden area. All different kinds of wild flowers and other wild plants. I suppose I've got to have one mowed area because I like to mow the lawn ;)

No fence other than the short one around the garden.

All are welcome that, like Heather said, desire and spread peace.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  11:40:16 PM  Show Profile
What does your acre look like? a small country garden
Is it hilly, flat, forested, or clear? kinda hilly
How's the view? lush and green
What are you growing? roses, roses and more roses
Is it spartan or spangled (any cute 'n kitschy lawn ornaments)? a few ornaments here and there
Is it neatly mowed or unruly? Cultivated or wild? kinda wild, the roses have taken over most areas
Is your fence high, barbed, whitewashed, or rough hewn? definitely rough hewn
any fairy that wants to stop by, all visitors must be mindful of the fairies, and not aggrivate the gnomes.

Life is too short to be narrow minded.
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  08:59:30 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to mention, I posted my inner outpost answers over on the MJ's Outpost forum:
http://www.maryjanesoutpost.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8737

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  09:37:07 AM  Show Profile
Jen ~ I just wanted to say how enjoyable this has been. I love "let's imagine" games!

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  1:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
jen, this game just takes me back! my first love and i were/are both very creative and whimsical people and we had our own "world." it was a beautiful place that inspired my poetry and his music and gave us strenth on the hard days when the cancer seemed stronger than he was. we still talk about it sometimes. i can remember doing water color after water color trying to capture it's beauty, but it always alluded me. i guess some dreams are just too beautiful to hold on paper.

my acre is a quaint stone cottage in the middle of a wild and unruly garden that spralws to every corner of the natural stone wall surrounding it. the perimater wall is only waste high and invites sunshine and guests, the opening in the fence are not blocked by gates but open and welcoming. the garden fairies keep the boarder and only let happy kind people enter, so i never have anything to fear. near the kitchen door i grow raised beds of vegetables and herbs. fruit trees, brerry bushes, and flowers of every type imigable fill the rest of the garden. a pair of pekin ducks wander in and out of the greenery and the hen is sitting a nest under the blueberry bushes. there is a basket hive of bees in the back corner near the old fashioned pump. hidden seating areas keep showing up where you least expect them. here and there you find whimsy garden art (broken dish mosaics, repurposed and handpainted flower pots, cup and saucer bird feeders, etc.) looking out over the garden wall, one can see a dusty dirt road winding away over the hill with a stand of trees to the right and a smooth green knoll to the left. behind the garden, the terrain drops away quite suddenly to a bubbling stream with pebbled banks.

corrine

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  2:00:31 PM  Show Profile
My acre is a wild place with a small house that blends into the surroundings. It has large windows like eyes that never shut out the world.

It is on a slope of a mountain, densley forested with rocky crags where various critters make their homes.

How's the view?
It overlooks the peaks and valleys of the surrounding mountains. The trees on the slopes are thick and green and I imagine all the things that hide and live there in that mystery.

What are you growing?
I let the place grow what it wants and use what I can of it. Pine sap salve for dry skin, horsemint for tea, wild onions and berries!

Nature is my exterior decorator and I trust her to know what looks best.

Wild, wild, wild!

No fences in sight (no phone poles either!)

I welcome anyone and anything that is attracted to this place. The people that would bring negativity would never be attracted to this place.

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers! ~John Muir
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  10:50:21 PM  Show Profile
I think I actually have this acre in physical reality. It's not really mine because it belongs to the people of the state of New York, but I doubt that it means the same thing to anyone else. There is a portion of Red House Creek in Allegany State Park where the current has carved out deep banks and broad oxbow islands. There are huge norway spruce and tall hemlocks growing on the islands and on both banks. The stream has cut out deep caves under the roots of the trees and the ground is deep and soft with needles. When the water is low I can walk out to the islands and follow the course of the stream easily. When the water is high it flows over the mossy rocks and I have to climb through the leaning trunks and roots of the bank to go upstream or down. My acre is a linear one because I never stray far from the water. In my childhood I made up a mythology and named many parts of my creekside kingdom, but now I only remember those stories vaguely. I have visited this spot almost every year since 1990 and my mental image of it is an oasis that sustains me in my mind-numbing, sense-numbing daily life.
Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  05:58:25 AM  Show Profile
Ok here is my Inner Outpost.....

On my small 5 acres, is a small cottage w/ coordinating shutters w/ artisian stain glass windows.

The acrage contains small hills with many different types of trees

How's the view?
Simply breathtaking...what more can I say :-)

What are you growing?
I am growing 4 varieties of roses..in pink, white and red colors.....geraniums also flourish here and pansys; off to the side is a small medicinal herb garden w/ sage, rosemary, lavender and calendula; there is also a small salad garden with tomatoes, onion, romaine and butter lettuces.

Not much other than trees that are decorated with cutsie lanterns, strun hearts/stars and candle lit Mason jars; There is also a comfy hammock for relaxing durring the day or to gaze at stars from in the night hours.

It is neatly mowed w/ spots of unrulyness

I have a whitewashed fence and is not too high...I also have a wrought iron gate at the front.

Everyone is welcome here and everything good is free and abundant...however, anything that is unpeaceful, unfair, unplesant is left at the front gate before coming up the cobblestone path.

Farmgirl Sister #21

http://artfulheart.blogspot.com
http://farmgirltales.blogspot.com

Edited by - amyartgirl on Jan 24 2008 2:22:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  09:26:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh Amie C! That sounds lovely! It is amazing how wild places can shape our memories and influence who we become. The way you speak of your place is so intimate and caring! It makes me want to know all the stories you created about it!

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers!
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Your "Inner Outpost" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page