junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  12:22:31 PM  Show Profile

My passion flower vines are loaded with maypops this year, a first for me, I"ve seen recipes for jelly and want to try it, has anyone made jelly from maypops? Any other ideas on how to use them? Thanks!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art and Apron....

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  05:38:03 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I'd never even seen the word 'maypops' before! Passionflower is quite an exotic for our midwest (Chicago) gardens, and I don't think our season is long enough to get fruits. So I had to google 'maypops' to learn . . . found references to their being an edible fruit, and that jelly can be made from them. Obviously, I don't have any experience with these, but just wanted to say hi and to thank you for introducing me to 'maypop'. That would be a great pet name!!
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  07:35:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm not a sweet jelly eater, so I only make pepper jelly. This year we've just made maypop ice milk. This will make a 1/2 gallon
3/4 cup noninstant milk powder,3/4 cup ice water, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 and 1/4 pounds maypop, 3/4 cup honey(And the honey is to taste. So taste the mixture and if it is too tart add more honey, but keep in mind that everything is going to be diluted when you add it to the whipped cream.) which really isn't cream but thats what I learnt to call it. LOL
I put the beaters and bowl in the freezer to chill for 15 minutes. In the chilled bowl make up the ice water and milk powder, beating untill stiff, about 20 minutes.When almost stiff I add the extract. In a blender, I process the maypops and honey until thick puree. Taste here for the honey like I said. Then scrape this into the beaten you know cream and beat in well. Then we put into our ice cream maker and crank until set.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  11:33:21 AM  Show Profile
Katie-ell, are you in zone 6 like me? If so,I can send you some seeds when I go to make jelly? They are a fast growing vine which should give you fruit next year, even if they dont they are still worth having in any garden.
ByHzGrace, never thought to make ice milk, will have to try it if I have extras, thanks for the recipe, I love to try out new recipes!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art and Apron.....

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  8:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh! If anyone can send me seeds I would really appreciate it! I think moscow is in Zone 6b by the chart I read...

Do you think they would grow here? Morning Glories are rampant so is clematis and virginia creeper so I think it is vine-friendly.

Thanks

Alyssa
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  04:44:52 AM  Show Profile
Alyssa, I'd love to share my seeds with you, send me a email with your addy and when it comes time to harvest, I'll be drying plenty of seeds and will save you some. I'm sure they will grow there, just may take a little longer to set fruit but still worth the wait. They grow wild around here but never took to transplanting well and I tried for years, but had better luck with the seeds, hope you will too.

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  05:18:24 AM  Show Profile
Sue -- I'd love to have some seeds. We're zone 5 here, but I can start a few inside to get a jump on the season. I would love to give them a try. I'll email you my address. Would you like some seeds in trade? I have cilantro seeds, some nicotiana seeds (Nicotiana langsdorfii -- green flowers, way cool), and probably some annual poppy seeds. Let me know! Thanks.

Edited by - katie-ell on Aug 29 2005 6:20:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  05:25:09 AM  Show Profile
my sistah sent me this link.

http://www.edible.co.nz/recipes/passionfruit.htm

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  1:45:24 PM  Show Profile
WOw! I didn't even know that the passion flower seed pods were edible, where have I been? I am always up for making new jellies,just made Rose Geranium jelly. YUM! If one of you girls would be willing to send seed my way, I would be thrilled. Maypop Jelly sounds so fun, something served for a children's tea paarty.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  1:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Sue, This passionflower sounds wonderful! So does the jelly! I'd like some seeds too! I could send you a self addressed envelope! I have your address because of mail art.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  12:37:34 PM  Show Profile
Anyone who would like some seeds just send me a email with your addy and I'll add you to the list. They are still green yet so it will be a bit before they are ripe, havested and dried for seeds, but I won't forget, nothing is needed in exchange, but if you happen to have some extra seeds from one of your favorites, I'd love to spread them in my friendship garden but it's not nessasary, I"d be happy to share my seeds with fellow farmgirls!

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  12:30:35 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to update all those who requested seeds, the pods are finally beginnig to ripen so I should be able to harvest seeds soon so hang in there, I didn't forget. I'll send them out as soon as they are ready and you can plan your spring planting. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  09:16:23 AM  Show Profile
Sue, I brought home one of the fruits a month or so ago from my cousins plant. It has been sitting on my counter and is now bright orange. Will it have seeds inside i can grow or did I need to wait for it to turn orange on the plant?
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  04:45:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Eileen, you can go ahead and harvest the seeds, the best way to do that since they will be in a pulp, is to put the whole insides in a jar of water and shake real good, this will hopefully seperate the seeds from the pulp, then dry the seeds on a paper towel before storing away. If they don't grow you know it was too early, but I've had mine drop green and the bunnies have been eating them like crazy causing them to spread all over and some have sprouted already, so I'm thinking they will be easy to reproduce. Hope this helps, all we can do is experiment. Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  10:19:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sue! Looking forward to their arrival.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  12:13:00 PM  Show Profile
Great to get the update, Sue! Be sure to email your addy to me so I can send you the promised annual poppy seeds!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  11:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Ok girls, I didn't forget about the seeds, they took awhile to dry and then the holidays and all, but they are ready to be sent out if your still interested? On my list for seeds is: Anne Hodge, Julia Valovich, Laura Robinson,Alyssa Gaulke,and Kathleen Loren. Do you still want some? Just let me know so I can pop them in the mail.

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  12:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes please!! Perfect timing too! I can start the seeds and have a bit growing for when I move. I was just reading on a diet site that passion flower is really good for you! :)
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  12:30:14 PM  Show Profile
Gotcha as a go Alee, just becareful about using passion flower, do your homework, they are also used for sleeping aids! lol

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  8:52:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, please! Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  05:42:50 AM  Show Profile
Yes, yes, me too! --> Kathleen Lorden
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  04:42:51 AM  Show Profile
Julia, yours went out yesterday. Sure thing Kathleen, just send me your mailing addy so I can popo some in the mail to you! It's March, finally!!!

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  12:16:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Junebug! I can't wait!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  7:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sue-

Thanks so much for the seeds. They arrived safe and sound. I can't wait to plant!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  04:31:24 AM  Show Profile
Good, glad to hear it Alee, anyone else want some passion flower seeds?

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  11:09:55 AM  Show Profile
I plan to get mine started soon. I have the perfect trellis for them to climb. Do deer like them?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic passion for maypops Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page