Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:30:25 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Families Forever badge.

"We are planning two family events for sure this summer. One is a trip out west to enjoy the mountains and a horseback ride out there. The other is just a little weekend camping trip in the middle of nowhere to introduce our oldest kid to camping (I think she will love it!) and swimming, hiking, enjoying nature. It is so remote we may not see any other people except for any family/friends that want to come with us!

We also have a few other day trips to do as well. We are going to explore some local lighthouses, a mining museum, shipwreck museum, a few national parks, one with a big sand dunes attraction. We also want to do some exploring in Northern Wisconsin like the Apostle Islands, and I am hoping we can make it to Northern Minnesota since I have never been to the far north shore of Minnesota before. We basically have a list of everything we want to see that we haven't seen or done before and as we accomplish our plans we will check it off our list! I can't wait for the weather to cooperate!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:34:42 PM  Show Profile
Tommily King (#2165) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I started a Community Service journal and listed 4 areas that I could help by volunteering; 1-Bountiful Baskets food co-op 2-Fremont Indian State Park 3-One-Way Ministry 4- Aurora City Parks.

I started by contacting each entry to see what I could do, and began with the Fremont State Park. The museum at the Park has a huge collection of Fremont Indian artifacts that were deposited there after an archealogy dig they did to preserve the artifacs that were in the way of the freeway that was being built in the canyon. (I70) I re-bagged and labeled pottery sherds and worked bone tools in archival safe bags and tags. So far I've volunteered 14 1/2 hours.

It has been a good project for me as I'm interested in archealogy. The collection is huge and it's being degraded by being stored in bags and containers that are degrading and making the artifacts not useable for research. I plan on volunteering 1 day per week."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:39:33 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"Since reading the book for this level I have posted over 10 times in the forum. I try to keep my grammar correct, although after years in college the "new" way is still hard to remember! Sometimes I wish language would not change so quickly! I have been getting a new word each day since January!

I was really surprised to find out how outdated my language both writing and speaking was! Surprise! I would like to buy the book so I could go over it as often as I need too instead of renting it from the library. I wish I could have known about that book in college! As for the new words I have been getting each day, I have expanded my vocabulary by leaps and bounds!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"I wrote out a letter to the editor so I will have to wait and see if it gets published! I have still been looking up a new word for the day, it is so much fun!
The book for this level was another really good read! Again, this is another book I would like to add to my personal collection so I can review it as I need.

Still waiting to see if my letter gets published. I love expanding my vocabulary and being able to use the words in regular conversation is so much fun! I need to add that book to my library so I can review it as much as I need too."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:48:41 PM  Show Profile
Tommily King (#2165) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I sewed a half apron from McCalls pattern M5690. It took me 3 hours to complete.

It turned out cute and I wear it real often."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:53:53 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I interviewed my Great-Grandpa a few years ago and he told stories of World War 2. I wrote them down since I didn't have a camera or tape recorder. I cherish those memories especially now because he has passed away since then. I'm so glad I asked and listened! Now I can pass those stories on to my kids!

My little brother interviewed me and we had so many laughs about growing up since he is 14 years younger than me so we talked about me growing up. So much fun!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Tommily King (#2165) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I sewed a full apron using McCalls pattern M5690. It took me 4 1/2-5 hours.

I used a material patterned with snowmen and it was really cute for Christmas. I wore it to deliver the breads I made for our neighbors for Christmas."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  5:03:11 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Know Your Roots badge.

"One side of my family is very well documented back to the original countries and even documented back in the country of origin. The other side of my family is not so well documented so I am working on finding out the roots of that side of my family. I am also working on finding the roots of my husbands family so I can pass down to our kids their family tree.

I have been learning so much about how they used to file family information. This whole project is so informative not only about learning my families' history but also history in general!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  5:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Tommily King (#2165) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I made zucchini bread, pumpkin apple bread and caramel popcorn as gifts for our neighbors and friends.
I made a garland of small pine cones, little pine tree sticks, and plaid ribbon tied onto florist wire. I did not take a picture unfortunately. I also crocheted snowflakes that I used on presents and the tree.

It was satisfying to me to give the gifts I made and the recipients seemed to like them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  2:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"I have been making sprouts for over a month now! Fun! I loved reading the book for this level. It was so informative and entertaining at the same time! Our monthly food journal was really interesting. I cook food way too much and we do not eat enough raw food in the winter. I think I will freeze more food this summer instead of just canning everything. Frozen peas are such a yummy snack in the winter. I prefer it to popcorn!

I learned how much fun sprouting is! I have tried clover, alfalfa, beans and radishes so far. My next is wheat for wheatgrass (not quite sprouts but it sounds fun!). When I buy packaged food I always read the ingredients. Corn syrup products stay on the shelf. Absolutely no artificial sweeteners are allowed and processed oils can stay on the shelf too. If I noticed a product that I love has processed oils, or something sassy like that I just make a healthy re-do of the product. I get to be creative and healthy AND save money all at once!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  2:06:41 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Know Your Food badge.

"I just finished Omnivores Dilemma and that was another good read! I found some information on some semi-local CSA's but I decided it would be more affordable to support a local you-pick farm (it is only a mile from my house). I like the you-pick because I can go out and pick exactly what I need, how much I need and I get good conversation with the owners and anyone else in the same patch I am in too. I have been making sure in the past month to get rid of the corn syrup, fake sugars, processed oils from our diet.

To replace a sugar dessert I have been making smoothies for a before bedtime snack as a late dessert. We usually have it an hour or two after dinner. Our kids love it! All I do is I put one cup of milk, one cup of unsweetened frozen fruit, and depending who I am making it for 1/2 T to 1 Tablespoon organic flaxseeds. Blend it in a blender, pour into a cup and serve! My personal favorite is cherries, my husband likes strawberries, the kids like anything! I also like getting a bag of mixed berries which is good also. It is surprising how sweet an unsweetened smoothie can be!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  2:10:09 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I love dill pickle chips but not the processed oils and other oddball ingredients in them. I took potatoes, sliced thin then put them on a baking sheet and coated them with olive oil. Then I put some real sea salt, a touch of garlic salt (do not want them too salty), a sprinkle of organic apple cider vinegar, and lots of dill weed.

They turned out so well even my husband liked them! He does not like the store bought chips but he liked my healthy re-do! I forgot to take a picture of them before we ate them up. Sorry!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  2:14:16 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer of the bees, and read the book. Both were quite interesting. This year I decided to do a bee and butterfly garden.

I have a few flowers started in my windowsill to transplant later this spring. I also have a bunch of flower seeds I can direct seed outside once the weather warms up a few degrees! I am so excited to start seeing the bees and butterflies! Plus the more I attract with my little bee and butterfly garden, the better my garden will be pollinated too!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  2:18:39 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"After doing a little research on how to decorate green with little kids in mind I decided the best thing to do is stick with organic fabrics for my curtains. I also am finding the perfect growing containers (non plastic is best) and planting non-toxic plants in them to decorate my home, help with cleaning the air and giving my home an actual homey feeling. As I re-upholster some of our furniture I will be looking for the most natural fabric possible. No pleather upholstery here! The house we are renting has carpet, we are not planning on staying here longer than our lease otherwise I would seal the carpet. When we build our own home eventually there will be no carpet in our house at all.

Any paint I use on furniture, or anything else will either be milk paint or the special paint they make now without those nasty chemicals. Once I started learning what I can do to decorate green I found out how easy it is to be green. To just incorporate nature, organic when possible, stay away from plastic things! Especially sneaky things like shower curtains! This was a fun project!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  2:24:03 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"I kept track of my mileage and fuel for a whole month. Despite my "never going anywhere" the short trips really added up. I was quite surprised to see my grocery errands, household shopping really add up in the end. I only have to fill up twice a month but I check the fluids once a week.

I grew up taking care of my car, I also have been in the habit of keeping track of fuel costs, but keeping track of mileage is so useful I am going to continue doing so. Besides it is good to know if you continue to keep getting the same mileage per gallon because if it drops, then you might have a problem."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  2:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Grease Chicks badge.

"I changed the oil in my car forever, I think it is fun. The one time I didn't do my oil change myself I took it in to a shop and they didn't put the oil plug in properly and it was such a small leak I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't checking fluids regularly. I would just rather do it myself.

I think if you can do it yourself, why not?! "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  2:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Grease Chicks badge.

"I rotated the tires, put in new spark plugs, flushed the coolant, changed the alternator and the easy one: put on new windshield wipers.

Again, if you can do it yourself, why not?! Then if something is wrong you can only blame yourself and you saved yourself the lost money in labor."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  2:35:46 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I am now at month 2.5 for my diet and exercise change. I am now down 16 pounds! I feel so much healthier and I never have food guilt anymore even if I eat something sassy like ice cream from the ice cream place in town. It's all about portion size, enjoying the food, and eating organic when possible! I am still working out 3 times a week for 30 minutes each time. Now that I am feeling healthier and the weather is getting warmer I want to start walking and training for some upcoming run/walks!

I am down 16 pounds now! I think it is turning out super great! After two and a half months now I have tried so many organic foods, exercising, I know the weight loss is permanent too because of how I am losing the weight. I'm pleased. I will keep on keeping on. This routine is very doable with two little ones and a farm to run!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  2:48:10 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I started trying more organic foods and serving them for dinner. Some foods were better received than others.
I have replaced the sugar to organic and have been baking with it for a month.

Was very easy to replace some of the foods. Of course the price is higher...in a perfect world organic would be cheaper!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  2:53:55 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made an entire scrapbook showing all of the parties I had my for daughter. I wrapped it like a present and at her party she was able to show all of her friends.

It was wonderful to watch the girls look for themselves at previous parties. They had many laughs over a simple special scrapbook."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  3:02:10 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"Ordered the Chillover powder and read the Ideabook and the special farm kitchen magazine. A farmgirl sister and I had a get together, making and tasting!

Delicious.....the cat licked the bowl!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  3:07:55 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"As my mother had worked at the extension office for 30 years previous, I was able to read her books on edible plants in my area.

Edible...the best overall book."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  3:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson (JThomp, #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"This is my first merit badge! I cleaned out my storage container cabinet and organized it. I had more containers than I could possibly use, so I gave one set to someone who is just starting out in her first apartment. I recycled the oddball lids and worn out pieces.

It turned out great! I no longer have to dig to find lids or containers! Everything is so easy to get to. I am so happy that I was able to help someone out a little as well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  3:19:12 PM  Show Profile
Laura Hughes (Morning, #1915) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Families Forever badge.

"We kept track for one week of all the tv we watched. Most of the time the television that we watched was from Netflix streaming and movies. We rarely watched regular tv programming (which makes me wonder why we even have cable).

We have never really watched much television but I would like to expand this theme and see just how much time we spend on the computer and on video games. I think this is an area where we can cut back time."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  3:32:14 PM  Show Profile
RoDonna Carson (kymomma4, #2361) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have collected over 100 buttons. Most of what my aunt gave me.

Some of the buttons that were given to me by my aunt used to belong to my great-grandmother, they are wooden."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page