Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:05:23 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"One of my favorite foods is Perogies. I grew up in Pittsburgh and we would simple make them with butter and onions to putting it on pizza. At the grocery store you are lucky to find them for $3.50 a box. So I started my research and found a receipt from Martha Stewart to make them. I went to my local organic store and purchased the potatoes and some locally made garlic cheddar cheese.

My family and I are very proud of our homemade Perogies. We did it as a group, after the dough was finished and I cut the circles, my husband did the stuffing and pinching into the half circle shape. We boiled them for a few minutes and then placed them on a cookie sheet to quickly freeze. Now for about $3.00 we made 30 Perogies."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:12:32 PM  Show Profile
Valerie Oliver, (valgirl, #2356) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected reusable bags from local grocery stores, the book store, and various other places. I try to keep them in my car after I put away those things I have purchased.

I am getting much better about being sure I return the bags to my car so that I have them if I make a spur of the moment trip somewhere. I was just putting them in my car when I made a planned trip to the store, but I found I needed them on the spur, then I wouldn't have them. So now they get back to the car as soon as the groceries are put away."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:16:52 PM  Show Profile
Valerie Oliver, (valgirl, #2356) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have researched not only household cleaners, but all natural skin secrets, hair secrets, dish and laundry detergants, etc. I have looked quite extensively into organic products and use many of them. I use Seventh Generation dish soap, Mrs. Meyes laundry soad, vinegar and baking soda for clearing drains, vinegar to clean kitchen countertops, salt to clean off the stove, lemon juice to remove rust stains when my husband leaves the wet cast iron skillet sitting on my countertop....lol.

I am very pleased to say that I am very satisfied with what I have found to use. I keep trying things out of curiosity because it is rather fun. I have found vinegar to be the cheapest and best ingredient for EVERYTHING, including poison ivy....lol."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:20:21 PM  Show Profile
Valerie Oliver, (valgirl, #2356) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I have given reusable bags to my co-worker and we share "green" methods all the time. We both live in the country, so sometimes, being green is more of a necessity than anything else. We also have many friends that we hash wind and solar options up with. I often do the "trash to treasure" method and reuse what I can.

I enjoy sharing what I learn and what I have come to know. There are too many people out there who would not be able to "survive" if they had to. I want to know that I could "survive" if I had to."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"As I biked around my area I found a great stable less than a half mile from my home. There were beautiful chestnut horses and dark brown horses. I was able to meet the owner and talk with her about the ones I liked.

The Dark brown ones were Morgan Horses and the chestnut one was an American Quarter Horse. They were very sweet and I fed them a few carrot bits."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:33:44 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"My grandparent’s 57th wedding anniversary was taking place, so I went to her home and borrowed a bunch of pictures. I copied them and then returned them to grandma. I then contacted all my aunts and uncles to provide some pictures of their families.

Everyone was so pleased with the scrapbook. I unfortunately did not understand the physics of scrapbooks so it was overflowing with pages. But in the end it was wonderful to see grandma relive the years with her husband."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:46:20 PM  Show Profile
Amberly Barry McGee, (amethyst, #2581) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"My husband and I moved into our first house in early March. Unpacking the kitchen was my first priority. I finished up the kitchen in the first week, except for four boxes. Those boxes were sitting there until I decided to tackle this merit badge. It gave me just the motivation I needed to sort through all those storage containers! I have been saving nice boxes and glass jars and we received some glass storage containers as wedding gifts in September. One of my long-term projects has been to eliminate as much plastic from our lives as possible. I finally felt ready to release those plastic kitchen storage containers. Fortunately, most of the containers were recyclable, so they ended up in the recycle bin. I had bought us each a stainless steel travel mug, so I put the plastic travel mugs in the give away container. I even went around the house searching out those old plastic containers and containerless lids used for other things around the house and switched the contents into a nice box or glass jar.

My quest to rid the house of plastic storage containers spurred me to unpack a few more of those lingering boxes, which are always nice to put behind us. I have the storage containers that I like using, with lids to match, and they are put away where I can access them easily. I have more storage space. Also, my kitchen is now completely unpacked! What a nice feeling!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:52:21 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Maguire, (maguiren, #1107) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected the following reusable shopping bags from the following:

The two cloth bags; brown two-toned and blue floral I made (similar bags I sell for $10 - maguire27@msn.com)

Two bags were purchased from the Mother Earth Fair last year.

One bag we purchased from our local grocery store.

The large straw bag was my late sister's - I use this one most often.

This was a pretty easy task, since I had all of these readily available, especially the little floral one that I keep rolled up in my purse."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend, (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I've been making my own laundry soap for months now, mainly to save money but I love how fresh it smells after hanging out on the clothesline on a sunny day. I've also tried making my own dish soap but I really didn't like it so I buy this totally organic and green dish soap. I did finally make my own homemade soap. It was a blast. I need to do it more often! I also need to continue to collect essential oils so I can customize my soap scents! I make my own window cleaner, AP cleaners, and my house feels cleaner now than it did when I used to use toxic cleaners! I use my AP cleaner on the floors, it works great on everything!

I'm so happy and I've saved so much money by being green and not just buying regular "green" products from the store. The house just even feels clean. It smells like fresh air not that fake "clean" smell like pine or orange from store cleaners. Actually I noticed I have to scrub less with homemade cleaners than I ever did with the tough grease cutting store cleaners. Ha! Natural is better. I share my "secrets" with others since cleaning up is a popular topic with everyone pretty much. It's easy to pass on tips. I have my handy list of good books from the library at home so I can recommend a good book for even more tips for my friends!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  1:05:32 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend, (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Know Your Food badge.

"I am working on starting my own chapter and since there are no other members yet (I'm sure there will be soon!!!) I have talked to multiple people, even people I didn't know about food. Organic, local, what a big difference it makes and how it helps local economy and our health. I was really surprised to find out that most of the people I met while shopping had no idea the impact of buying imported food that we could get local at a farmers market. It was crazy how many self professed "green" people I met that would buy a tomato from Mexico instead of going a few miles down to the farmers market to buy a fresh tomato ripened on the vine a few miles from their house. I am so glad to start making ripples towards a positive change of buying local AND buying organic just by talking to people who make comments while shopping! Love it! We buy about 3/4 organic food and try to keep it as local as possible. In winter it is harder but not impossible. Again, talking to random people in the store is a great way to network! I recently found a local CSA, I never knew we had a local one. The nearest one I had previously found was an hour away. Yay for local!

I tried having a meeting with a friend but no one came. It's just the area we live in really. People don't really go to stuff like that. I found it to be more effective when I'm out and about and I can talk to more people that way. Almost all the people I could talk to for well over 30 minutes standing in an aisle at the grocery store. The nice thing about living in a small town is that a lot of the produce I can get there is from local farmers! If I don't have time to run to the farmers market at least I know I can get a few things at the grocery store grown locally and most of the time organically! Honestly I went through the list of merit badges and I read every single book MaryJane listed during the last few months of winter. I'm a bookworm especially in the winter. I loved each and every book she had listed, every type of reading material she had required for the merit badges. I'm so glad she shared all these resourceful books and materials! Thanks MaryJane! I also want to mention I have been able to talk to so many young moms about how easy it is to make homemade baby food, not only is it healthier but cheaper! I came across a lady the other day that I had talked to months ago and she thanked me for the encouragement to make her own baby food. She said it saved them so much money and her baby didn't have any adverse reactions to food like she previously did! I encourage every one to share the wealth of knowledge! Buy organic and buy local!!! It's so easy!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  1:10:03 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend, (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"I have a bunch of information from the extension office that I have been looking over for months now. I have the Outpost book and I am actually making the Dandelion and Rose petal jelly from the book! Oh the salad greens recipe looks amazing! We are going to make that this week for dinner! I have already had a version of that recipe but I want to try the one in the book! We also fried the heads of the Dandelion's up and served them with fried pepper sandwiches one day, yum!!

I love all MaryJane's books, there are so many good recipes in them, try them! I can't wait to try some of her recipes out. I've had variations on a few of the foraging recipes while camping and while having a cookout on the weekends but I still want to try out her recipes! I love foraging, it's so good for you! You can't get anymore local than your backyard!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  1:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend, (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Forage for Food badge.

"I have been looking for wild leeks, berries, flowers, possible places for mushrooms to grow ever since we moved here in November!

So far I found 3 stands of wild asparagus, some really good possibilities for mushrooms (they are just starting here by me!) unfortunately I don't have any wild leeks but I have tons of trout lilies! I have a bunch of plantain, wild violets, and I even saw what looks like the little plants of stinging nettle. We have some really old apple trees that have gone wild back in the woods, blackberries, wild strawberries, raspberries and lots of clover. As the seasons continue to change I know I will see even more plant life! I love what I've found so far, I can't wait to see what else the woods has to offer as the year continues!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  1:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend, (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I replicated a strawberry shake/smoothie. I put a cup of milk and 1 cup of strawberries and blend it in the blender. It's so yummy! I also add flax seed to it too, just for an extra health benefit!

I made homemade kettle corn because I love kettle corn. Since I got rid of the microwave because of the possible health risk I haven't been able to have any for a long time. I know there must be recipes out there but I popped the corn on the stove like normal but I added about 1/4- 1/3 cup sugar to the kernels and oil. After the corn was done popping I sprinkled some real sea salt on top. It was so wonderfully delicious!

I loved eating kettle corn without HFCS! Not to mention free from preservatives, and other extra things that don't have to be there. Same with the fruit smoothies. I like to make my own oven fries, seasoning mixes, and meat coatings. It's so much healthier and saves so much money. Plus I can customize what we eat, instead of one size fits all box mixes!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  2:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian, (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Light the Way badge.

"We had our first "official" chapter meeting this past Saturday and we decided to make the chandelier from MaryJane's Ideabook.

It turned out wonderful! We all had so much fun and in the process we each created chandeliers that were so different from each other's! They all looked beautiful!
I am the one in the red apron!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  2:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian, (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I have been cleaning green for a while now. I have read books, and have read information online as well.
We started a chapter last month and decided that for our newest members to our chapter, we would give them a welcome basket, a welcome basket filled with green cleaning supplies! I started a thread in the cleaning up section of the forum asking for everyone's favorite cleaning "recipe". I then created a recipe book for our new members to look through and even put blank pages in there so they could add their own. We supplied ingredients, crochet dishcloths & rags.

The baskets looked beautiful! The founding members earned a badge for putting these baskets together, and the newest members will earn a badge when they commit to using these green products!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  2:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Debora Carr, (Debi Carr, #1983) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted two dishcloths for a farmgirl swap. These took me approximately four hours."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  2:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Mari-lyn Lobinsky, (lucylobo511, #2571) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"My husband helped start my button collection with bringing me a box out of the garbage and I have added to it by buying buttons at garage sales and antique stores. I never buy new buttons old ones have the best character.

I love my buttons. My collection is awesome and I will continue to add to it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:01:28 PM  Show Profile
Sherry Buck, (sweettea59, #2215) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been collecting buttons for years. Some were my granny's that I got when she passed away, others have come from old shirts and jackets. I always make sure to take the buttons off a shirt before recycling it to the rag bin.

I keep one of my button jars in my laundry room for when I run accross those strays. I have another jar in my scrapbook/craft room for using with paper projects."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I have a small bag packed up together and handy to throw into whatever bag is going out to the woods/trail with me. Even handy for taking when I go with hubby fishing. (Just in case.)

Took a wonderful edibles book on plants of the pacific northwest out into the woods with me and found more than ten! Cannot wait till a few are better in season to be able to make and use in salads and stews.

For the emergency kit I had things already in my backpacking pack but not having used that in awhile had not been taking it with me on the short hikes. This inspired me to get things back together and handy to be used as they were intended to be.

Fun! A girlfriend went with me to identify while we were at our weekend river camp. She will have fun foraging and cooking them with me this summer."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:16:27 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I made two different granolas and superfood bars for hiking, camping, fishing meals. Curious to try the pemmican. I have made jerkey before but not quite to this extreme. Want to try making it with Salmon as I can only digest fish/seafood so will have to tweek the recipe some.

I made a small weekend feast over the camp fire (but then I do this most weekends). In the dutch oven hanging from the tri-pod I made a black bean veggie chili with a nice layer of peppered corn bread atop it. In the dutch oven layered with coals I made a stuffed apple spice cake for dessert. For an appetizer we had stuffed mushrooms with crab. These were done in a shallow cast iron pan wrapped in foil over the grate.

Well, the granolas are much lighter and I enjoy knowing what goes into my food, no hidden oils, sugars or salts. The bars went over well too and I was able to freeze many for future weekends.

The meal was delicious! I so enjoy cooking over the firepit! I have even done a complete thanksgiving feast with all the fixings...in 11 degree weather, lol."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Sherry Buck, (sweettea59, #2215) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Quilting badge.

"We have a friend of the family that loves horses and is getting into sewing. I decided to make her a samplers quilt as her Christmas gift. I found 5 different blocks (log cabin, tree of life, bear claw, 9 patch and a star). I also incorporated 4 pre-printed horse blocks that I later quilted around the horses by hand. I choose barn red fabric to match the horse theme.

She loved the quilt for Christmas. She even told her mom that no one else could touch it. Her mom has since bought her a sewing machine and I am going to make her a sewing kit."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:26:16 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I own a 1966 Aloha 15 foot vintage trailer. The decor is pin up cowgirl and I have renovated it to the best of my ability.

In the past I used to build wall tents when living in Hawaii and taking our girl scouts into the rain forest. But here in the northwest a vintage trailer is very nice for year round fun!

Just last weekend I caught a 20 lb Coho Salmon. Some has gone to the freezer, some was dried, and some was grilled over the fire grate on a cedar plank with sweet onions and lemon/pepper.

I love my trailer! But sadly just the other day I listed it for sale. Hubby needs to have a bathroom, the city boy! So we have had to do a bit of compromising. He got a newer, larger trailer but it is still my pin up girl palace.

The fish was delicious! Cannot wait for many more... and some trout!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:30:25 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I am lucky to be able to get away most every weekend and unplug. We have a small camp property on a river where we camp in a vintage 1966 15 foot trailer. I prefer to cook over the fire and in the area cell phones, internet, television, etc do not work. I do have a hand cranked solar radio that sometimes will work but you have to wind it every few minutes, so we save that for emergency info. I take books, board games and my knitting.

Wonderfully! I enjoy it so much, as does my husband."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:34:29 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"Four couples and us went camping for the weekend. We all have small vintage trailers and are in the same vicinity of eachother. We enjoyed hanging and chatting by the fire pit, playing horseshoes and darts by the shed, fishing, bike riding, hiking... just being together away from it all!

Wonderfully, we plan to do this as often as possible! One is even asking me to teach them to knit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:37:41 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"I have made/stocked/refilled the few we had kits for all places. In our home it is small enough that one good kit in the central bathroom works, plus a fire extinguisher in the kitchen as well as in the garage near the door entering the house. Both cars have a kit in the glove box as well as our trailer and ATV at camp. We replaced all batteries in the smoke detectors and also checked the carbon monoxide detectors in both trailer and home.

Was a great reminder as we have used the kits and needed some restocking. Also to check those batteries!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page