Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  1:39:23 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider, (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Grease Chicks badge.

"The three things I did for this badge are:
1. Change a tire on our truck (the tie rod broke and blew out the right front tire). My husband replaced the tie rod, but I did help.
2. Rebuilt the carburetor. It’s pretty easy, all you have to do is buy the right carburetor kit and follow the instructions.
3. Our OLD farm truck started overheating, so I changed out the hoses and drained the coolant, put in stop leak and filled it back up with antifreeze.

My husband just loves it when I work on equipment or weld… he just thinks it’s so cool! It makes me extremely proud when he brags to our friends."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  1:49:20 PM  Show Profile
Loretta Praught, (rafeel, #3079) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I made an awesome bean pole and trellis. They sure came in handy.

They turned out good!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  2:04:48 PM  Show Profile
Loretta Praught, (rafeel, #3079) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Outstepping badge.

"I went on three great hikes. Two with company, and one alone. I made a safe fire by my barn. As for the pictures, pine, no problem, they are all over the place. Apple blossom was easy as pie. But the mocking bird took days of watching to spot one, and even more to finally get a picture.

I had a blast on the hikes. I'm glad I took the time to make a safe fire, I know how easy it is for them to get out of hand. Although it was a little hard to get the bird pic, I had a fun time doing it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  2:16:05 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Praught, (meshako, #3074) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Outstepping badge.

"I went on 3 hikes. Two on my uncles land, and one at a state park. Taking the flower picture was easy, an apple blossom and I've got apple trees. My neighbors have pine trees, so taking their picture was easy. The mocking bird took forever! I finally got a photo of one sitting on a telephone wire. I made a really safe fire, I even put it out with dirt when I left.

It turned out great. I really liked earning this badge from the fire, to the pictures, to the hikes."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  2:36:36 PM  Show Profile
Joy Lujan, (#3169) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"One of my girlfriends was moving from the country to the city and couldn't take all of her hens with her...so I ended up with 13 hens and less than a week for me to build a coop for them (another badge)! I was already buying organic eggs, but am so thankful to finally have my own flock to raise. I'm getting 6-8 eggs a day right now, and it's only been a week since I got them! I'm so excited.

It's going well! I am thrilled with my egg production and spend hours just visiting with "the girls" as I call them. I also love how my 4 children, still at home, are involved and excited! Thank You! I don't know how to put a date finished in, as this is an ongoing every day project!"

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  2:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Medina, (#3148) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I spent three hours this afternoon crocheting this little potholder.

I am very pleased with how it turned out. I will make a few more as gifts for my friends."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  2:52:44 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Moore, (momx10 #3076) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Lets Get Physical badge.

"By setting a weight loss goal and almost achieving it for 6 weeks.

I ended up falling short of my goal but also achieved it by feeling better."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  2:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Moore, (momx10 #3076) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Lets Get Physical badge.

"I eat more organic things that I can cook from scratch, and fresh vegetables.

I feel better, I don't know if it is from better food or from exercising and loosing a few pounds....but it is good."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  3:02:17 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Moore, (momx10 #3076) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Lets Get Physical badge.

"I am walking a 5k walk/run for my sister who has multiple sclerosis.

I had a great time and my kids want to participate in more....it raised a lot of money for ms research."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  3:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Moore, (momx10 #3076) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"We used up all chemical things...cleaners, laundry soap...fabric softener...toothpaste...deodorant...
and even some shampoo's and lotions.

Everyone is adapting pretty well. The kids don't like the toothpaste, but they may get used to it!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  3:34:21 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Moore, (momx10 #3076) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"We live in a very large city so this was a very hard challenge. We ended up researching berries...and finding out when they are ready to harvest. Then we made jam and canned it.

I had a great time with my kids, picking strawberries and making jam. They were so proud of what they had achieved!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  3:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Moore, (momx10 #3076) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I did not know very much about my mothers side of the family, so when my aunt came for a visit from Iowa, I decided to ask her some questions. She was the one who cared for my grandmother, so she knew the most about that side of the family.

I had a great time and recorded some things we talked about into a book to hand down to my kids."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  3:54:27 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (jay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Gaining Ground badge.

"Unfortunately no courses in Master Composter are offered in this county. There are many opportunities to learn from those who have been doing it successfully, and teach those who want to learn.

The "Secrets to Great Soil" book is an EXCELLENT book. I found it to be full of all kinds of helpful information, and it would be a great one to give as a gift to a new gardener who is also interested in composting.

The book was also used to teach composting to: neighbors, friends and family. I was also able to engage in teaching opportunities with my daughter and some of the members of our Henhouse Chapter.

A copy of the book was donated to our local library. At some point in the future I plan to purchase copies for gifts."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  3:59:37 PM  Show Profile
Marsha Gulick, (Osagegypsy #2988) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I gathered up tote bags for each car, and purchased extra at Walmart and TJ Maxx. We are all working on remembering to take them into the stores, and are getting better with each trip. The bags are so much stronger and hold so much more that this is an easy habit to learn.

It's a great practice and I am donating the nickels that we get for the bag refund to charity."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  4:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Marsha Gulick, (Osagegypsy #2988) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I found a small notebook and pinned a bookmark to the cover. I keep it in my bedside table, and have been writing in it in the mornings and evenings, as I remember to develop this habit.

I find myself going to the journal during difficult times to remind myself of all my blessings. It keeps me from wallowing in self pity! I have posted a finish date, but I plan to keep going with my gratitude journal."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  09:06:28 AM  Show Profile
Valerie Stiner, (#2292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"For this badge I completed a cross-stitching on punched paper that says, "Welcome" for the entrance to our home.

It's beautiful! I love it, and stitching on paper in many ways was easier than on fabric. I found the spaces easier to count and keep my place."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  09:37:04 AM  Show Profile
Valerie Stiner, (#2292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I've been sewing since I was a freshman in high school. Over the years I've made most of my clothing, most of my children's clothing, my sister's wedding gown, and so much more. Needless to say, my button collection is extensive. I love buttons. I would have collected buttons whether I did any sewing or not!

It's so convenient. Any time I complete a project that needs buttons, I sift and sort through my collection before I purchase any. One of my granddaughters favorite games was sorting buttons when she was a preschooler. So much fun. So many things to do with buttons. Date finished? My button collection will never be complete."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  09:44:48 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Grease Chicks badge.

"To earn this badge, I turned to my dad for help. I did the best I could, but my mom would not let me go under the car too much, being 8 months pregnant. My dad showed me where to pull the small nut off so the oil would drain into the pan. When we finished that I put the nut back on and he checked the tightness. We then went under the hood and started to fill the car with some clean new oil.

When the car started and the check engine light did not turn on it was a proud moment in my life. I am confident that I could do it again at my own home… Let’s just hope I don’t make as big of a mess as I did in my dad’s driveway."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  09:50:20 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"I went to my neighbor’s husband to find out how to hand sharpen knives. He processes chickens and pigs often. He showed me how to hold the knife and the sharpening utensil properly. In less than 10 minutes I was getting my knives nice and sharp.

I am very pleased to know how to do this. I got married 5 years ago and the knives have become a bit dull, and now they cut the vegetables and meat so much easier."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  10:00:35 AM  Show Profile
Heather Arnett, (harnett72, #3087) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"My two little boys, ages 4 & 7, love Hostess Cupcakes, but I'm not a fan of processed foods, and they are not something I buy. I knew they'd be so excited to have some, so I used the recipe from the April/May 2010 issue of Maryjanesfarm Magazine. They were so easy to make, and they came out beautifully! My boys were so excited, and my oldest son said repeatedly, "I can't believe you know how to make these, Mom!!" I'm hooked now...I can't wait to try some more "copy cat" recipes!

They turned out great. I did wonder if there was possibly a misprint in the recipe, because the batter was soooo thick. I ended up adding a little bit of water, but it was still pretty thick, which produced a pretty dry cupcake. The boys obviously didn't care..they gobbled them right up. Will definitely make them again."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  10:30:13 AM  Show Profile
Lorrae Moon, (Moonshines, #1649) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning an intermediate level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a heirloom scrapbook for my Dad. I tore apart a photo album of my grandmas. I added a bunch of journals and as many dates as I could. I gave it to him for his birthday.

I think he loved it. I found out how important it is to journal dates, and to identify all the people in the pictures."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  10:58:57 AM  Show Profile
Lorrae Moon, (Moonshines, #1649) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It! badge.

"I have cleaned my garden shed this spring. I organized all my pots, tools, wall of waters etc. I sold a lawn mower and a rototiller to make more room in the shed. I made a bucket of sand and oil mixture to put my tools in after using them to keep the clean and not let them rust. I used an old garbage can to store rakes, shovels and hoes. I put an old counter top in the shed to use as a work center. I sand blasted two pair of nippers and they are useable again. I am remodeling my garden, and built a flower bed in front of my little green house using recycled wood 2x6 stacked 2 high filled it with my homemade compost and planted Shasta daisy's and phlox.

It has made life so much easier to be able to find and have tools clean and not rusted together. Also having the extra room in the shed is a dream. The new flower bed it so pretty and its all done. One project complete."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  11:08:11 AM  Show Profile
Lorrae Moon, (Moonshines, #1649) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It! badge.

"I have cleaned my garden shed this spring. I organized all my pots, tools, wall of waters etc. I sold a lawn mower, and a rototiller, to make more room in the shed. I made a bucket of sand and oil mixture to put my tools in after using them to keep the clean and not let them rust. I used an old garbage can to store rakes, shovels and hoes. I put an old counter top in the shed to use as a work center. I sand blasted two pair of nippers and they are useable again. I am remodeling my garden, and built a flower bed in front of my little green house using recycled wood 2x6 stacked 2 high filled it with my homemade compost and planted Shasta daisy's and phlox.

It has made life so much easier to be able to find, and have tools clean, and not rusted together. Also, having the extra room in the shed is a dream. The new flower bed is so pretty and it's all done. One project complete."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  11:29:13 AM  Show Profile
Lorrae Moon, (Moonshines, #1649) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I have continued to increase my skills, by trying new patterns. I have learned a 3 needle bing off, a bow tie stitch, and many varied patterns with different stitch combos. I have learned a cable pattern. I have made many different snow hats, with all the different patterns and cables that I listed above. I am now finishing a sweater with the bow ties. I started a knitting group 3 years ago and anyone is welcome to get together. We have taught new knitters, and between the group we help each other. We knit every Monday night from 6:00 to 8:00. The group is about 20 members and the best part of my week. Without the group I would never keep picking up harder patterns, because we share patterns all the time. I have 25 hours in knitting part of my sweater and I have one sleeve to go to.

The different hats have been beautiful. I sold almost all of them. I learned a few of the patterns by making dish cloths. The cable pattern was a bit tough after the dish cloth was torn out a number of times. I did get it, and it was a good job. The sweater is beautiful and I can't wait to wear it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  11:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Kristin McNamara, (fmglmac, #3176) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"Since my condo complex does not allow us to have any outdoor birds (I am hoping to get them to change that.) I can’t raise a flock of my own chickens. As an alternative I searched www.localharvest.com and found a nearby farm called Heavenly Acre. It is a great place with tons of organic produce, eggs and other hand made products. This is now the only place that I buy my eggs. All of their egg varieties are organic and some are fed an organic, soy free diet. My husband and I enjoy these eggs much better than store bought, and we purchase a dozen every two weeks. The yellow yokes are unlike any that we used to buy in the store, and we love the beautiful palette of colors that each dozen contains. We will never be able to go back to store bought eggs again, and it feels good that we know exactly where our eggs are coming from, how far away, what they are being fed, and how they are being treated.

Becoming a patron of local, free range, organically fed eggs has not only opened our eyes to how wonderful they are, but also how wonderful local farm fresh products are. I really hope to one day live in a place where I can raise my own laying chickens, and am so grateful that I found such a wonderful provider of eggs locally."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page