Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  3:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Green Energy badge.

"Since I live 30 minutes from any kind of "civilization" (perhaps you can relate), I make sure I combine all my errands to do in one day, if possible. I try to go out only once or twice a week, at most and absolutely no more than three times if something special is going on. It's sometimes difficult as I have to give up doing things I would like to do because I've already been out too many times that week.
I use only electric energy so my EMC bill for May/June was $173.11 and gasoline for my car was $73.84. My car gets about 26 miles per gallon and I drove approximately 540 miles this past month.

I replaced all of my light bulbs with CFLs and eat mostly raw foods all the time so that my oven is not in use. As a matter of fact, for the first six years I lived here, I didn't even have an oven. The stove was the only thing I used and that was rarely."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  3:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Bustin' Out badge.

"I've actually been working on new recipes since last year for a Recipe Book I am going to publish soon. As many of the recipes as possible focus on local and organic produce and all of them are wheat-free, gluten-free, sugar-free and artificial sweetener-free. Many are vegan for those who choose that route.

I'm growing my own garlic and onions, which are staple ingredients in most of my recipes. I'm incorporating all of my vegetable garden produce in my recipes as possible, so they are organic as well. My bell peppers and tomatoes are almost ready and I have heirloom watermelons coming along too. My front yard is about as local and organic as you can get!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  3:42:03 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"My partner and I love to go off for a few days, (about five is what I need), to get away from it all. We take nothing that is electric with us and usually go to a cabin out in a remote area.

We both love to read and five days of peace and quiet where I can just read for the fun and pleasure of it is my idea of heaven. We hike and get out in nature and then come back and cozy up by the fireplace and read in companionable silence with each other. I think we're about due for another trip soon."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  3:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"We had severe storms in our area over the Father's Day weekend and my electricity was off for 18 hours. It was a widespread area that was affected and while it was an aggravation to be trying to do stuff by lantern light, I thought about all the men who had to go out in that weather to fix the downed power lines.

I wrote a letter to the editors of both of our local newspapers expressing my gratitude to these men, especially, who had to give up the day set aside each year to honor them, and be away from their families. They do this in all types of weather and all times of the year, (we had terrible weather at Christmas and couldn't get out either) and I just wanted to express my appreciation for all that they do."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  3:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build it Green badge.

"You inspired me on this one. I had been thinking about this for awhile and just hadn't acted on it. I know that using plastic shower liners in a bathroom emits VOCs, but I just hadn't done anything about mine. So I got a new shower curtain that has a cloth liner and a pretty outer decorative part and put them in my bathroom after cleaning the tub well with my organic cleaner (citrus based).

I replaced my towels and bathmat too, which were getting a little frayed since I have had them for 11 years. The color of my new items? Green! And would you believe, they match the colors of some of the items that I already had in the bathroom. I love how synchronicity works!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  4:06:23 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self Sufficiency badge.

"So many of my friends are pregnant, as well as myself. I found that a great tea to drink during your final trimester is raspberry tea. I went to a friend’s home and she let me pick as many raspberry leaves as I wanted to. I came home and put them in my food dehydrator for a few hours. Once the leaves were brittle I put them into my food processor and chopped them up. I then placed them in a mason jar. For all my friends I have made raspberry tea bags and sent them out as gifts.

They turned out wonderful and I am very happy to have made them. Let us hope that they “help things along.”"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  4:28:13 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Community Service badge.

"After going over my list of possible needs in my community that I could fill, I decided that food, which affects everything that we do, is the most important one. And where our food comes from is becoming increasingly important. I fear for our country if we continue the way we have been going, so I am adamantly pushing for people to grow their own food and eat organic and local, so that we can stop Monsanto's madness.

I have been teaching my friends (and, frankly, anybody who will listen) how to grow their own food and have volunteered at community gardens to help out. One is a place aligned with my goals called Cedar Hill Enrichment Center and they have an educational garden. I have put in 71 hours altogether of volunteer service with the Master Gardeners program so far this year, which includes Cedar Hill. I continue to teach this philosophy."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  4:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Gracee Brooks, (Countrygramme, #2938) has received two certificates of achievement in Cleaning up for earning a beginner and intermediate level Going Green badge.

"Got MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook: For the Farmgirl in All of Us in 2010. I was ill for a year and this March I got rid of all toxic cleaners in my house. We made a family pledge to only use green products and I made my first laundry soap then! I have since made it as needed; and my clothes smell great after washing and having been hung on the line to dry. I use a white vinegar rinse and everything is soft and clean smelling. Less ironing too! I have a special book with my recipes in it and I consult it as needed.

Convinced my clorox loving hubby that fels-naphta soap cleans better and removes stains when rubbed directly into the fabric. We make coconut oil hand soap, all-purpose cleaner with vinegar, lemon juice borax, and castile soap...great on rugs and furniture! Vinegar and ammonia window cleaner, bathroom/kitchen cleaner with baking soda, borax and washing soda, and have my local IGA to carry my borax, washing soda and felsnaphta soap! My latest is non-toxic disinfectant-borax, lemon juice + tree tea oil!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  09:31:34 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I got out my grandmother's button box and went through it to see what I could find. What an interesting assortment of buttons there were! I found several that were intriguing and narrowed it down to one.

This is a very big wooden button with a loop on the back of it, so I strung it on a leather string I already had by using an old loop earring back. I like simplicity, so I just used this one button instead of stringing several. I am wearing it right now and will wear it to a function I am going to this evening as well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  09:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Kim Hazelrigg, (kimarie91, #3147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"For my beginner level Aprons badge I completed a blue gingham half apron. My grandmother made me the smaller one in the photo when I was a little girl. I found it a while back and thought I would make a "grown up" version of it.

I love it. The apron turned out so cute. My husband said it looks like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. She's cute so, okay." :)

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  09:50:23 AM  Show Profile
Kristin McNamara, (fmglmac, #3176) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"To complete this merit badge I went to www.eatwild.com and read up on the differences between grass fed beef and what is commercially available. I recorded everything that I discovered in my farmgirl journal. What an eye opening experience www.eatwild.com has been for me. I have recently been trying a more natural approach to the food that I eat and have been looking into more local and healthy ways to eat. I was so excited about all of the information that www.eatwild.com had, not just on beef, but on eggs, dairy and poultry. I am so bothered by the blind eye that I have turned to what is on my plate. I suppose that is what happens when society decides that they want to see their beef only on a Styrofoam plate behind plastic wrap. There is only one major chain grocery store that I can think of that even has butchers in their meat department who still cut their own beef. We have become too far removed from what is on our plate and completing the beginner level of this badge has opened my eyes to the incredible health benefits of eating free range, grass fed animals and the horrible health hazards of eating animals raised on CAFOs. The things that I found the most fascinating was how much better for you free range, grass fed animals are. They are higher in Omega 3s, which are practically non-existent in all commercial beef raised today. I was shocked to hear that Europe has banned the import of USA chickens!

We really need to stop and look at our farming practices when another country says that they won’t take our stuff. It also opened my eyes to the questionable practices of organizations like the FDA and the USDA. Some of the farming practices that they approve make me wonder if any of them have actually set foot on a farm, or if they are just making these decisions in a lab or office somewhere. I can’t wait until I complete the Intermediate and Expert levels of these badges. I think that I will be a healthier person for it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  09:59:36 AM  Show Profile
Melissa Havemann, (lissak78, #581) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"Gathered items to make sewing kit: Fabric, polyfill, straight pins, needles, buttons, thread, scissors, safety pins, thimble, needle threader, seam ripper, and measuring tape.
Placed fabric wrong side up in the palm of my hand and stuffed it with the polyfill. Then I gathered the fabric and put the ends through the ball jar ring. I opened the circle and placed the seal into the inside of the ring, pulled the fabric tight around the seal until the pin cushion was the size I wanted. Gathered the ends together and fastened them together with a rubber band. I filled the jar with the items gathered earlier and topped with the lid.

I took it to work to keep on my desk. I love it and plan on making more for friends and family!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  10:15:34 AM  Show Profile
Melissa Havemann, (lissak78, #581) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"Garden Tools – 12/23 My husband and I cleaned all the dirt off of our trowels, hand shears and pruning shears. We then sprayed them with WD40 and removed any rust. After that all items were sharpened and given a light coating of WD40 to protect them.
Squeaky Doors – 12/27 I went through the house and checked all doors for squeaking and applied WD40 to the master bedroom door and the interior garage door.

It’s nice not to have squeaky doors anymore. I also noticed that one of our doors needed new weatherstripping which led me to the intermediate level of this badge."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  10:29:21 AM  Show Profile
Melissa Havemann, (lissak78, #581) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Little Squirts badge.

"While checking for squeaks in the doors of our house I noticed that none of them really needed to be removed or sanded, but that some of them needed new weather stripping. Since I have never replaced that before, I figured I could do that as part of the requirements for the intermediate level of the category. I removed the old weather stripping with a razor blade and then scraped off any bits that had stuck. After the old stuff was cleaned off, I then applied the new weather stripping.

According to my husband I did a great job! It’s also nice to know that it will help save on our energy bills. It was so easy to do, I don’t know why I hadn’t done it sooner."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  10:33:18 AM  Show Profile
Melissa Havemann, (lissak78, #581) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"My family has been using reusable grocery bags for several years now. I started with one, and then I couldn’t stop. Now I have a set specifically for groceries, (even a bag that helps keep cold items chilled), and other bags that I use to tote other things around in. I also keep two bags that fold up very small in my purse for any random or last minute purchases.

It has been wonderful to know that we have reduced the amount of plastic bags we were sending into a landfill, even if we do reuse the ones we do end up with as well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  10:39:23 AM  Show Profile
Melissa Havemann, (lissak78, #581) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"For years I have worked to remove toxic cleaners from my household. In the past, it was a lot more difficult to find affordable cleaners that were non-toxic. Nowadays, there are many more options.

Currently, I use Mrs. Meyers Countertop Cleaners for my counters and I love how well it cleans, as well as the smell. I also use the concentrated cleaner for mopping my floors, and I usually add some tea tree oil (for disinfecting), sweet orange oil, and peppermint oil as well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  10:47:28 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman, (Klamath Falls Charming Chicks, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Get 'er Done badge.

"I have been helping a Farmgirl unload her storage trailers in order to sell items that she, and that other Farmgirls have donated to earn money for our local women's shelter. So far we have had 2 weekends of yard sales and are having another in July.

We have made over $500.00 with a company that matches whatever we make. We have donated many household items, clothing and money to the shelter. We are doing very well helping out in our community."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  10:58:19 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman, (Klamath Falls Charming Chicks, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I have planted some heirloom radish and arugula in my garden so far. I have planted heirloom and some organic vegetables in our chick community garden, and our chapter shared seeds, and plant cuttings at our Feb. monthly meeting. We discussed the importance of saving heirloom seeds, where to purchase seeds, and we were shown a chart with planting and harvest dates for our area.

We have many varieties of seeds among us to share so we can keep the heirlooms going. I especially like the tomato seeds I started, and look forward to seeing my first tomato. Radishes are coming up, but I am still waiting on the other things to grow."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  11:11:29 AM  Show Profile
Valerie Fein, (vmfein, #2619) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"My quilt guild that I belong to wanted to help the victims of the tornadoes in Alabama and Missouri. I have only made panel quilts from kits and a few table runners before. I wanted to help and make a baby quilt on my own, without a kit. I did have to redo the quilt top a few times, next time I will number the rows first before sewing them together! I did spend quite a few hours on making it, but went slow since I am a beginner. I made bigger half square triangles than needed, and made smaller triangles which I think will be made into a small wall hanging for another charity project.

I think it turned out great. I love the 1930's fabric and hope that a baby will love it. My guild loved it and I donated it at the last guild meeting for it to be donated."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  09:03:27 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie Orr, (OrrShine, #1545) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"For starters, I really enjoyed reading the book, The Earth Moved, by Amy Stewart. I was truly amazed at the power such a little creature could hold. I was also surprised at how devastating worms could be to an ecosystem.

For the last 3 years, I have had a rubbish pile in the corner of my backyard. To earn the badge, I decided to clean it up.
I built a compost bin out of wood pallets that my husband brought home from the office. I now use this to contain the grass clippings and scraps. I have also moved the larger sticks and logs to the side of the compost pile."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  09:15:12 AM  Show Profile
Julie Felton, (FarmDream, #3069) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I know how to crochet simple projects so I chose to crochet a hat that I would be able to sell in my business. This hat took me approximately 6 hours to finish. I had the opportunity to teach a coworker 3 things about crochet: How to do a double crochet stitch, how to work a single crochet stitch and a double crochet stitch into the same stitch, and how to read a pattern for a washcloth so she could work on her first project.

I'll be trying a more difficult project to improve my skill."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  09:44:57 AM  Show Profile
Teleka Holbrook, (tholbrook, #2426) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I bought several reusable shopping bags and I keep them in the car for convenience.

It works really well and I love the idea that I am helping the planet. At one store they gave me a discount for using the bags."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  09:45:43 AM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle, #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I went to www.onethousandgifts.com and downloaded the 2 pages on which to write my blessings. I chose a month that I knew was going to be a difficult month for me emotionally and wrote down something that made me smile each day.

This was a good discipline to follow. I wonder if I am sometimes too shallow and this was a challenge to see if I could get beyond that. I think you can tell a lot about a person by what they are thankful for. I tend toward the melancholy and it's good to keep track of the good and to go back and look at it from time to time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  09:54:05 AM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle, #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"We have recently bought into a CSA for the first time ever. We have never knowingly eaten anything organic until now. But it's easy when it's even delivered to you!

6/8/11 - salad greens and radishes
6/13/11 - chives
6/20/11 - spinach, dill
6/26/11 - chickweed and butter

It's turning out fine. I feel better knowing that the food I'm feeding my family is coming from my friend's farm instead of the great unknown."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  11:05:10 AM  Show Profile
Pilar Stevens, (retasos2, #2498) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We were given 5 chicks for Easter for which hubby and I built an all in one chicken coop.

We love our chickens, they are so much fun and the eggs are the best."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page