Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  11:57:26 AM  Show Profile
Jamie Crosby, (jcrosby2019, #3323) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been using my green reusable bags shopping for a year now. I picked up a few more, because on some shopping days I run out. I have a stash of plastic grocery bags that I have collect over several years. I just found a crochet pattern to turn them into reusable market bags. That will be my next project.

I was shocked at how many plastic grocery bags I used before I switched. I am glad to be helping by using my reusable bags."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  12:04:25 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge.

"I taught myself how to needle tat. I learned the double stitch, picot, ring and chain.

My finished piece is 3 feet, 9 inches long. I love tatting and can't wait to have time to create more."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  12:13:50 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level First Aid badge.

"I earned the expert level of this badge by going to www.cprandfirstaid.net and renewing my knowledge of first aid and CPR with a video series and test. I then took my two youngest children to the local EMS station and we received first hand training in CPR and choking rescue with one our certified volunteers. It was nice to have the hands on training with the practice unit (shown in the photo). I discovered that my compressions had to be much harder in order to be effective. I also need to work on making them quicker as I did only two series in my two minutes instead of the necessary five series. I strongly encourage every farmgirl to get this training.

It has built my confidence and I feel better now knowing that I live with two other people (my courageous teens!) who will know what to do if I am ever in need of CPR help someday."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  12:22:05 PM  Show Profile
Donna Kimball, (#2431) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Arpons badge.

"I have to say I wasn't excited about a half apron. I have several. So I decided to make it as a gift. A newly married couple who I am very close to. So I bought the fabric. Cause I wanted bright colored. I bought red and yellow. I have to say I have enjoyed making this apron. I had forgotten so many things. And it went together so quickly. But not without trials. lol. I had to redo several things that a beginner would only have to do. I made the gathers and I had to redo them. I sewed the hem with a different color fabric and I had to redo some of my top stitching. I made the waistband a little wider. I dont like skinny ones.

This turned out great. I put a Yo-Yo on the pocket and a button on it to make it look like a flower. I am in love with this little apron.
This took about 4 hours since I redid some things. It is a little longer than I would of liked. But I think it looks cute."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  12:27:36 PM  Show Profile
Julie Felton, (FarmDream, #3069) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"For this badge I had to change a habit or create a new healthful exercise/diet habit. I chose to take my breakfast and lunch to work for a month instead of buying food from the cafeteria. It was hard not to be lazy and make sure I had my food packed the night before.

It was very rewarding because I knew where my food came from. I ate healthier and learned I didn't need to bring quite as much food as I thought I needed. I'm going to keep this new habit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  12:34:08 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Stargazing Chicks badge.

"We have been star gazing as a family for many years. We unpacked our telescope, and did some more star gazing. We have also visited many planetariums together as a family.

I read over books to review, and to be able to identify Ursa Major and other constellations. We are recording it in a journal vs. photographs. I learned about measuring degrees and arc, by reading a Web site called One Minute Astronomer (http://www.oneminuteastronomer.com/860/measuring-sky/). We discussed how a planet shines steadily, while stars appear to twinkle (due to light reflection or other factors of the air)."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  12:49:24 PM  Show Profile
Jo'Lee Tarkon, (alkorhol, #3189) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I gathered all of the buttons I've saved over the years as well as going through a bag of rags that my husband got from the Salvation Army and collecting all of the buttons from those discarded clothes.

I was surprised by how many buttons I was able to accumulate. It was pretty fun, really."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  12:57:59 PM  Show Profile
Megan Corwin, (mcorwin, #3285) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"First I collected the seven reusable bags to take shopping with me. I have since then consistently used them when making purchases at the grocery and other stores.

It has been much less of a hassle then I originally thought. My habit of taking the bags to my car trunk as soon as I unload them has prevented me from forgetting the bags on future trips to the store."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  1:20:10 PM  Show Profile
Jo'Lee Tarkon, (alkorhol, #3189) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"Years ago I made a cute little apron from a kit. So... for this badge, I patterned off of that apron and made an apron for my daughter with fabrics she picked out.

It turned out even cuter than the original."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  1:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have been an avid composter for over 20 years( YIKES) so this was a pretty easy one to accomplish. Did the worm bin thing after attending a workshop sponsored by my city. Enjoyed reading "The Earth Moved" a bit too evolutionary bent but I gleaned much from it in-spite of the clear anti-creation language.

Composting is going great! Failed at the worm bin... too many issues with ants so I had to default to just my yard bins. OK since my new chickens LOVE to stir the compost for me it's moving right along and the chickens get all the goodies they can find veg. & insect." ;)
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  1:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have been successfully composting for over 20 years. Hubby built from my design my latest and greatest permanent compost bin from recycled (plastic/wood) lumber and fine metal mesh. A cute little 2 bin number. It is hard to track the amount of goodness it has pumped out but I believe it is around 10 cubic feet in the last year. My newly employed chickens are great compost turners and they work for cheap. ;)

Going well on the composting. Our City is supportive of composting over all. Our waste collection service picks up green waste in addition to recycling and trash. It's nice to have a way to divert the nasties I don't want in my compost~leaves with fungus... weeds with set seeds, etc. I know the city coordinator on a first name basis. :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  2:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd, (NancyOH1, #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I found a demonstration on YouTube.com about making button bracelets. After buying the flexible string from Joann’s, I sat down with all my supplies in hand and had my button bracelet completed before too long. It was so easy that I am now planning on making a couple more bracelets for members of my family and a couple of friends.

It turned out fabulous!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  2:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd, (NancyOH1, #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge.

"I have always wanted to learn to Tat. It wasn’t until I joined MaryJane’s Farmgirl Sisterhood and started working on my Merit Badges that I finally made the leap. I ordered the Needle Tatting Beginner’s kit from www.craftforless.com. Learning to Tat has been really fun and not as hard to do as I initially thought. I made a three foot chain over the course of a few weeks. It has been really exciting to learn to do this craft as my grandmother was quite skilled at tatting.

My tatted chain turned out really well. I know my tatting will get better with more practice."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  2:40:12 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I researched the difference between grass-fed and corporately raised beef.

We are now buying our meat from an organic farmer, who raises his beef 100% on grass. The meats are much healthier for us and it is less stressful on the animals. Grass feeding is also better for our environment than caged animals fed solely on non-organic grain."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  2:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I borrowed the book, “BEEF: The untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World,” by Andrew Rimas and Evan D.G. Fraser, from our library.

This book was very detailed. With the provided Web sites, we were able to locate an organic farmer in our area. We recently took a tour of the farm, and asked many questions about his grass-fed beef, and other animals. He also raises a heritage breed hog and only feeds them organic grain."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  2:49:04 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level What's Your Beef? badge.

"We toured an organic farm and now buy our meat from him.

I brought four of my kids along for the tour. Another farmgirl met us there also. He was very informative and explained how he rotates the cattle every few days, so they always have fresh grass. He explained how the fat content in the meats are the best proportions for our health, unlike corporately raised beef today. They contain the right fats that our bodies should have. He explained that most people are over weight due to eating the wrong fats in corporately raised beef. I shared my information with chapter farmgirls, and posted photos on my blog to share. I also shared the farm's Web site, and location. Even my girls asked questions. We brought home organic, grass-fed meat, and ordered two turkeys for Thanksgiving."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  2:56:51 PM  Show Profile
Mistianne Guzman, (mirly, #3262) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I had been avoiding learning how to crochet knowing that once I started it would be another consuming, enjoyable hobby. I already make quilts. I decided on a women getaway that it was time. The feel of the yarn was just toooo tempting. I was shown how to crochet with a Q hook and chunky yarn and a wonderful scarf was born.

It is soft and drapable and snuggly and I am definitely hooked on crocheting. I did not stop with one. I have made 10 since." :)

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  3:05:12 PM  Show Profile
Winifred Nielsen, (Red Tractor Girl, #3109) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I purchased Mary Janes Ideabook and found the dishcloth crochet pattern. I knew the very basics of how to crochet but had not made anything. I made a dishcloth and decorated it with fall leaf buttons which I think turned out well. That inspired me to make some crocheted mug rugs (small versions of the dishcloth pattern) for Halloween. Using the basic stitches, I made the pumpkins and black cat embellishments.

I plan to give them to my sisters this year at Halloween along with some of my home blended coffee. For fall I am planning on a cinnamon flavor which will have regular coffe, french vanilla, and cinnamon spice added to create a delicious fall blend. I think the mug mats will be the perfect addition. Now I cannot wait until October to send them!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  3:14:04 PM  Show Profile
Jody Andrews, (#3346) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"Took picture of my survival kit items I gathered. I also looked up and identified 10 native Floridian plants and determined whether they are used for food, medicine or posion. Results of that research included:
1. Agave americana
common name: agave, century plant
used for food and medicine
The sap is used as a diuretic and laxative. The flower stalk is swedet and can be roasted and eaten. Seeds are ground into flour to make bread. Tequilla is distilled from sap of the blue agave plant.
2. Myrica cerifera
common name: Wax myrtle
used for medicinal
Used as an astrigent and stimulant. Large doses of it may be used as an emetic. The powder mixed with water is an excellent wash for the gums and helps with chronic throat inflammation.
3. Coco plum
used for food
Fruit is best when full, firm and dark purple. Tastes like an extremely bland banana and skin has dry taste similar to skin of a nut.
4. Citrus x paradisi
common name: Grapefruit
used for food
The grapefruit is a pulpy fruit with a thick, leathery rind. The fruit is characterized by its notable fragrance and prevalence of citric acid which gives it a tangy flavor.
5. Arisaema triphyllium
common name: Jack-in-the-pulpit
POISON
The leaves are trifoliate, with groups of 3 leaves growing together at the top of one long stem. Plants are sometimes confused with poison ivy. The plant contains calcium oxalate. Eating this raw results in a burning sensation of the mouth and GI tract and the throat may swell--->difficulty breathing.
6. Rotundiafolia
common name: Muscadine grape
Food
Easy to grow in native Florida with our daily rain, heat and high humidity.
7. Typha species
common name: Cat-tails
Food
The Florida edible cattail has 2 portions of the stalk that can be eaten when green. The top part is yellow or green before it ripens. This tastes like corn when roasted.
8. Betula nigra
common name: River birch
food
Some species are used to produce extracts that are used to make birch beer, an old-fashioned pop.
9. Verbenaceae
common name: Lantana
POISON
Lantana berries are poisonous when eaten green.
10. Cocos nucifera
common name: Coconut palm
FOOD
A coconut is a staple in many countries. The nut is highly nutrious and contains lots of vitamins and minerals. People drink the coconut water which is rich in sugar, fiber, antioxidants, protein and vitamins.

This task was beneficial for me because I love the outdoors and love to hike. I can use my survival kit and survive with the best if I need to. And now, after research I even know a few plants that grow native that may help provide food and medicinal properties if needed."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  3:21:26 PM  Show Profile
Kate Lange, (#862) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been collecting shopping bags for years, but, never really used them consistently until the last couple of years.

Things have been going great with this lifestyle change. I often have to "train" the cashiers to use my bags. Especially in the stores like crafts and fabric stores or pharmacies. The grocery stores are mostly on board with the bags although the cashiers grumble when they have to break the plastic bag routine. Whenever I shop at the health food store, they look for the reusable bags first. I love not having the pile-up of plastic bags and have been using them since I started shopping for my father as well as me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  3:33:11 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell, (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Knitting badge.

"My next knitting project was to make a beanie for our service men to wear under their helmets,(to keep their head warm). We had to use 100% wool and I had to learn how to use circular needle, but it really wasn't that hard. I knitted with my friend one a week. (Who showed me how to knit with circular needles) until we finished the beanies.

The deadline was Nov 20th. I was able to finish four beanies, and my friend made five, for a total of nine beanies, we were able to send.
I'm a beginner in knitting but I really enjoy it. I want to try and make other items."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  09:30:00 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker, (woolgirl, #1947) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I recently took a small trip with my daughter to northern Minnesota's Boundary Waters Canoe Area for a few days to "unplug" for a bit.

My 3 year old LOVES to get outdoors! Makes her Mama proud!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  09:45:04 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Community Action badge.

"My big issue and passion is what is being done to our food supply and dietary supplements. Staying healthy is becoming more and more difficult as congress keeps passing laws that don't support our freedom to choose. I have been posting petitions to sign on my Facebook page, emailing my contact lists and talking about this to everyone I meet who will listen to me.

I have given way more than five hours to this cause. I've written articles about this and posted them on my website www.HealthyEatingOnTheRun.com and in my monthly newsletter. Years ago when DSHEA was being debated in Congress, they had to back down when they were overwhelmed with the vast numbers of emails and letters that were received on this issue. We can do it again by the strength of our numbers."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  09:54:44 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Community Action badge.

"I have written letters to my Senators and my Representative about the approval of GMOs, and about the new laws they are trying to pass to have every new supplement since 1994 pass rigorous testing as a new "drug." I have also posted petitions against these on my website, on Facebook, in my monthly newsletter and in talking to anybody who will listen to me.

Thankfully, my congress critters agree with me on the latter issue, but still think GMOs are going to save the world. I will just continue to fight and to educate people about this great lie as much as I can. I have more than 10 hours logged in on this issue because it is so important to me. This is only about the future safety and biodiversity of our food, for heaven's sake!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  10:07:37 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Little Squirts badge.

"All of my doors work just fine and didn't need any oiling or adjustment, but then my significant other was a carpenter for 27 years so between us, we make sure everything is in good working order.

I did check all of my locks in the house and they are in good working order too. Of course, we rarely use them as we are blessed to live out in the country and have no need to use them much. They don't have much time to give us problems. All of the keys to the deadbolt locks are hidden close to the doors just in case of emergency."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page