Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  1:15:15 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Massie, (Andwhathaveya #3468) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer for The Vanishing of the Bees. I planted zinnas and sunflowers in the late spring. I also just finished reading the Secret Life of Bees.

My zinnias and sunflowers are beautiful. I cried through most of the Secret Life of Bees and now only buy local honey. I haven't seen the movie yet but I hope I can get some girlfriends together to watch it with me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  1:21:52 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Massie, (Andwhathaveya #3468) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"My grandmother passed a vintage jewelry box full of buttons down to me. There are at least 100+ buttons in there.

I had totally forgotten about it until I saw that I could earn this badge! Shame on me! My 2 year old daughter and I fell in love with that box of buttons and spent the rest of the evening playing with them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  1:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Cortright, (mandymarie20 #2070) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"I contacted by power company, Xcel Energy, and found out how power is generated in my area. It is mostly derived from coal. I created a chart of how our energy is produced (picture attached). The energy breakdown is:

•43.3% Coal
•30% Nuclear
•8.3% Natural Gas
•7.9 % Wind
•7.4% Hydro
•2.6% Biomass
•0.4% Refuse Derived Fuel
•0.1% Oil

I compared and contrasted the various methods of energy production:

• Natural Gas – A fossil fuel, drilling is required to access it. Natural gas can also be harvested from bogs and landfills. Waste is released into the air as natural gas is consumed.
• Oil – Fossil Fuel. Finite and requires accessing the oil through drilling. Waste is released into the air upon consumption.
• Coal – Fossil fuel from rock and peet. It is a finite resource. In its original state, coal releases some of the greatest amount of waste into the air. Efforts are being made to alter how coal is used to produce energy so less waste is released into the air.
• Hydroelectric – Electricity is produced by water power. Generated by dams. There is virtually no waste
• Nuclear – The atomic energy is produced through a chemical reaction uranium undergoes. It is clean, but there is waste. A major concern with using nuclear energy is the volatility , the repercussions of not handling it properly, the horrendous properties of the waste,
• Sustainable Energy – Renewable energy from sources that are not finite. Hydroelectricity, solar, wind, wave, geothermal, bioenergy, and tidal power are examples of sustainable energy. There is extremely minimal if any waste. The tradeoff for using these sources can include disruption of nature such as a dam and/or large amounts of land and/or water required to generate the energy

I think my research turned out well. I was definitely surprised about the energy breakdown. I was also surprised about how much energy we get from wind. I see the windmills everywhere but they don't seem to be moving very fast, if at all. I was pleasantly surprised by how much energy they create.

I also was pleasantly surprised by the variety of ways my power is created. I mostly see windmills and coal plants and it is nice to see there are multiple ways energy is generated."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  1:50:58 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Cortright, (mandymarie20 #2070) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Green Energy badge.

"I calculated out energy expenses including our electricity bill and gasoline consumption. Of course, this is not during the winter, but this is generally the average amount we spend.

We created a way of reducing expenses:
• Use the oven less
• Planted plants at our home
• Changed our light bulbs
• Use car less – I try to run errands only 1 day a week. I try to walk or bike if I can.
• The shower head was changed

I think it turned out well. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  2:00:41 PM  Show Profile
Kristi Groth, (Kristi #3407) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I went through all my plastic lids and containers and got rid of the ones without lids. I then put the ones with lids in the back of the cabinet to use for guests when I have leftovers to share. When all the plastic containers are gone then I will switch to canning jars to share with guests. I invested in some pyrex containers with lids. I just like glass better.

It went well. My cabinet looks much nicer and more organized."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  2:07:25 PM  Show Profile
Kristi Groth, (Kristi #3407) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"I gathered up kitchen tools that I needed. I also gathered up some staples like cornmeal and various spices. I already had a fairly good working kitchen because I love to cook and having the right tools and seasonings, etc. makes all the difference.

It's exciting to have a kitchen put together with all the things I need to cook good and healthy meals. I appreciate the inspiration I get from the possibility of earning a badge for making my life easier."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  2:13:48 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca McGinnis, (Sister Becky #2598) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer to "Vanishing Bees" and researched bee-friendly plants and trees in my local area. I also read Sue Monk Kidd's "Secret Life of Bees".

I have a better awareness of how important bees are to humans and our food. They are not just flying pests! I have planted several bee friendly trees and plants in my yard. The book "Secret Life of Bees" was sooo good. I read it at night before I went to sleep and it only took me a week because I was so interested in it. One of our farmgirls, Barbara Roberts, bought the book and we are passing it around the henhouse. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did. I am very interested in beekeeping and would like to attend our local bee school."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  2:36:53 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith, (forever young #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Ink Slinger badge.

"I read The Elements of Style.
I wrote a two page story about the love of my life, my husband. We both lost our spouses. Thanks be to God we found each other five years ago. Our love story is very special to both of us, inspiring us to never lose hope.

My husband was a faculty member at U of A. He checked my writing, I did make a few mistakes in punctuation. I learned from it. Also, in reading The Elements of Style, I learned so much in using wasteful words to make a sentence. Thanks for recommending this book."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  09:29:41 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Civic Heritage badge.

"I was born not far from where I live now, in a hospital that I still visit for emergency care. My parents lived in an apartment near there, then moved to a home in Gansevoort, NY. At that time, my father worked in the local paper mill, Finch Pruyn, one of the first business created in Glens Falls in the 1800's. After my two brothers were born, we outgrew that home and moved to a larger house in South Glens Falls. My father took a job with a construction company and, the summer I turned 11, moved us to Cambridge, NY, an hour away from Glens Falls. This is where I graduated from high school, got married, and had three of my children. During my fourth pregnancy, my husband and I moved into a big house in Argyle, NY, just 15 minutes away from where I was born. I have lived here now for 18 years, the longest I have ever been in one home, taking my own 5 children to the places I remember from my childhood.
Since I have visited so many of the historical sites in my hometown, I decided to find something that I had never been to before to satisfy the requirements of this badge. I found a place called The Chapman Historical Museum. According to the Historical Walking Tour guidebook, this museum “Features the history of the Glens Falls/Queensbury community and its connection to the Adirondack region.” A portion of Chapman House has been preserved to introduce visitors to 19th century domestic life. The photo below is an antique quilt, dress and corset on display in one of the bedrooms. Another portion of the building is a historical presentation of life in the area during the 1800's. I took my daughter Ashley with me and were both fascinated by the museum. We loved the preserved household with quilts on the beds, antique toys in the bedroom, silver tea settings in the dining room, and an 1800's dress, corset, and chemise in the dressing room. We agreed that we would have loved to have lived in this house a hundred years ago, even if the plumbing was a bit rustic! I enjoyed the historical presentation as it devoted an entire room to the beginnings of the Finch Pruyn paper mill, a mill that has, since 1865, employed hundreds of local men and women, including my father, and is still today the largest employer in Glens Falls.

Standing in this portion of the museum made me feel connected to the mill, the town, and to my father in a way that I did not expect, and it brought tears of gratitude."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  09:41:01 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Civic Heritage badge.

"It was my visit to the Hyde House for my Make it Pretty badge that inspired me to learn more about Charlotte Pruyn Hyde (1867-1963), daughter of Samuel Pruyn, co-founder of Finch Pruyn & Co., the paper mill where my father was employed at the time of my birth. Charlotte married Louis Fiske Hyde in 1901 and settled in Glens Falls in 1907. She and her two sisters built adjoining homes designed by Henry Forbes Bigelow of Boston; their revival-style dwelling and the surrounding seven acres which overlook the Hudson River not far from their father's paper mill now make up the Hyde Collection, a museum complex with a world-renowned collection of art that is available for public enjoyment. My photo is of Charlotte's amazing thimble collection, of particular interest to me since I am a lifetime sewer. Together, Charlotte and her husband worked to contribute both artistic and educational spaces for the residents of Glens Falls. Their financial contributions helped build the Crandall Public Library, and her husband authored one of the first published histories of Glens Falls. After his death, Charlotte continued to increase the couple's art collection and hired a curator who later offered tours of the home as well as art classes. In 1952, Charlotte established a trust and dedicated the estate to the community “to promote and cultivate the study and improvement of the fine arts, for the education and benefit of the residents of Glens Falls and vicinity and the general public.” This is the current mission of Hyde House, whose doors have been open to the public since Charlotte's death in 1963. Hyde House is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and includes an Education Wing (three exhibition galleries, auditorium, storage, and classrooms) and a 6,600 square-foot collections wing. The building has been restored to its historic period.
I was drawn to Charlotte because of her involvement in the establishment of the Crandall Library. This is a place that I remember visiting as a small child with my mother while she was a student at Adirondack Community College. This library is a vibrant part of Glens Falls and still a favorite research and study hub for ACC students, including two of my own children. My own children have grown up visiting Crandall Library as we have taken advantage of the many opportunities they offer for homeschooling families. They have recently built an addition giving them more room for books, increasing study areas and available computers, adding comfortable reading areas with gas fireplaces. They also increased the area used for their historical collection and public entertainment/enrichment. They offer free movies weekly throughout the school year, outdoor entertainment in the bandstand during the summer months, educational classes and workshops year round, reading programs for teens and youth in the summer, and a gallery for displaying the work of local students with displays changing seasonally.

I love visiting the Crandall Library and am grateful for people like Charlotte Hyde and her husband who cared for their community and for the coming generations. See my presentation on Charlotte Hyde at www.apronsoftheadirondacks.blogspot.com"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  09:47:22 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Civic Heritage badge.

"I am fortunate to live in an area with tremendously rich history. I have dozens of options for historical research and reenactments.
There is Cooper's Cave, the inspiration for J.F. Cooper's “Last of the Mohicans,” as well as Fort William Henry (1755-1777), the actual Fort built for protection from the Mohicans which offers stagings of Cooper's tale each summer. My family has attended one of their mini-reenactments which included a firing of the cannon.
Fort Ticonderoga is an hour north of us. It was built by the French during the French and Indian War, but is also the site of the first major victory in the Revolutionary War; the fort hosts reenactments of battles from both time periods.
Saratoga National Historical Park is the site of the battle of September 1777, also known as “the turning point in the American Revolution.” This is where General Burgoyne and his troops (5,500 men) surrendered to General Horatio Gates. This battle influenced the French to join American forces which later helped secured a win over the British, and ultimately won American Independence. The park has extensive walking routes which I have explored with my children; we've watched their documentary film and viewed the collection of artifacts. Reenactments are usually in September on the anniversary of Burgoyne's surrender, but this August they hosted “New Hampshire Regiment Returns to Saratoga—Encampment of American Forces.”
Schyler House is not far from Saratoga National Historical Park. It is the home of General Philip Schyler, built in November 1777. It was built in 29 days, was burned by the British, and then rebuilt by General Schyler. It has been preserved in the same condition as it was in 1777 with no electric or water. It boasts having been visited by General George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, President Franklin Roosevelt, James Madison, and the Marquis De Lafayette. Schyler House has living history days which are great fun to attend. This August they hosted “18th Century Days.”
My 4H group participated in an “18th Century Days” celebration as part of a Glens Falls Living History Program. We made homespun dresses for the moms and daughters and pioneer outfits for the sons. At the program our group displayed a variety of animals including a dog, bunnies, and chickens. We made soup, bread, and cobbler over an open fire in our cast iron dutch ovens. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate and so we spent much of our time sheltering ourselves from rain and drizzle with our shawls. Local folks who visited asked questions about our costumes and praised our cooking—great fun, even in poor weather!
Curiosity drove me to also find the oldest building in my hometown (pictured below). My visit to the Chapman Hisorical Museum for the beginner portion of this badge provided me with a walking tour guide to the historical buildings in Glens Falls. I discovered that one of the oldest buildings still standing is called William Woods House. It was built of bricks in 1830 (or possibly earlier) and still looks much as it did when built except that it is no longer a blacksmith shop; it is currently up for rent and has updated windows and interior. I also found an early drawing of the Finch Pruyn paper mill and found that it, too, looks much as it did over 100 years ago.
I was driven by this badge to learn more about the area where I was born and have found an exciting history that I, sadly, new nothing about. I was embarrassed to learn that there are many museums and historical foundations that I have never paid attention to.

All of the Each Other badges have had a profound impact on me personally, but this one has aroused the deepest emotion. I am filled with a growing gratitude and greater sense of belonging than I have ever experienced regarding my heritage and locale, no longer walking these streets as a stranger, but rather as a beloved character in a story that was begun long before I was born and which will continue long after I am gone."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  09:56:08 AM  Show Profile
Tiffany Massie, (Andwhathaveya #3468) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I used hemp cord to string together some of my favorite vintage buttons.

I liked it so much that I decided to make several more in different colors. I haven't taken it off since I put it on!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:05:14 AM  Show Profile
Tiffany Massie, (Andwhathaveya #3468) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been using reusable shopping bags for a long time. I take them with me when I go on my weekly shopping trip.

It really cuts down on waste! My daughter loves them and I hope she will follow in my footsteps one day."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:12:46 AM  Show Profile
Tiffany Massie, (Andwhathaveya #3468) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"All the hinges are oiled in my house! We don't have any bicycles yet so I could not oil them but the garden tools are oiled as well.

I don't think I'll ever walk past a door again without stopping to see if it needs to be oiled."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:20:19 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Morales, (luckilady #3375) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"Over the course of a month I have only purchased green products. This includes cosmetics, personal care items and cleaning products. I started using Dr. Bronners liquid soap for almost all cleaning and laundry, I mix it with baking soda and it is wonderful. Vinegar is working well as a window cleaner. I now use mineral makeup that is organic. We switched to method products for hand soap and dish soap until I learn to make my own :) I am a work in progress! I made a journal that I am giving to my daughter who is getting her own apartment and can use the help when she is just starting out in life. My mission statement is:

I pledge to only bring green and natural products into our home. This includes cosmetics, and all cleaning supplies. I will use green shopping bags to bring home groceries, and will of course continue the recycling efforts our family already maintains.

I just feel better. I was surprised that it is actually not expensive at all to go green, and much easier than I thought. I am making my own shopping bags and am happy to say the whole family is joining me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:28:39 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Morales, (luckilady #3375) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Over the course of a month every time I went to a store I would purchase green shopping bags to take my items home in. I now have enough to put in every car and some to keep in house to send leftovers and other things home with guests when they come. I am also making my own green bags. I make sure everyone takes them into the store and gives them to the baggers so we don't end up bringing more plastic home.

I now have no plastic garbage bags and it feels like I am making a difference! I am now doing one more thing to help our planet and I plan on keeping it going :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:34:29 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Morales, (luckilady #3375) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I researched for one organic and green all purpose cleaner that I could buy and use all around the house. The most highly recommended one was Dr. Bronners liquid soaps. I have used these soaps for laundry, kitchen and bathroom scrubbing (I add some baking soda to it) and even use as a body wash! I have used vinegar to clean my windows, and have not used any other commercial products this last month. I am hooked and will keep this going in my home.

It was so much easier than I thought and I don't feel like my house or laundry isn't clean. In fact, it smells better because there is a natural freshness to everything. I also don't have to wear those plastic cleaning gloves anymore YAY!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:40:44 AM  Show Profile
Mari-lyn Lobinsky, (lucylobo511 #2571) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I taught myself how to knit and made a washcloth.

I am really happy with my washcloth it took me many tries to complete it but I taught myself and I am very happy."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:51:04 AM  Show Profile
Robin Allen, (#3373) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have my grandmothers old buttons, my mothers buttons and my buttons in all colors, shapes and sizes. It's good to get them in order and in easy reach.

It's funny how that when you do this for a badge you find that you have some old ones, my grandmother never got rid of anything that could be reused."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  11:00:59 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca McGinnis, (Sister Becky #2598) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"Keeping a gratitude journal was not very hard to do at all. I have a lot to be thankful for.

I was thankful for many things including God, my family, a job, a memory, and my sisters at Georgia Farmgirls. I will save my gratitude journal to look back at and remind me of the many things that I should be thankful for."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  11:22:11 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Scrapbooking badge.

"I have been scrapbooking for years and am working on several projects. I have a series of scrapbooks that begin with the birth of my first child and run through the years to about 5 years ago. My early attempts at scrapping have been recently updated with some of the newer materials available to me, such as stickers and fancy papers. I only have simple tools so my books are mostly photos with simple accents to make them brighter. I continue to work at my family history by organizing prints and keeping my photos in chronological order so that they are ready for me to work with. I save things such as menus and fliers, newspapers clippings and other mementos from our holidays, celebrations, travels, and special occasions. I incorporate them into my scrapbooks.
Another project I am working on is a personal family history which is a continuation and addition to a family history album that my mother made for me which included mementos from my childhood. I also have a scrapbook showcasing my friends throughout the years, including photos from our childhoods and additions to their lives such as husbands and children. My most current album is one that records special trips that my husband and I have taken, usually on our anniversaries. This is a small album and a current favorite.
My albums certainly reflect my interests at the time they were worked on. As I learn about artistic design and color usage, particularly color compliments, my scrapbooks have improved and become more pleasing to me. I try to work with the colors that are present in the mementos or photos so that the page is pleasing overall.
In reading “Organizing and Preserving Your Heirloom Documents” I got several good hints and bits of advice. Chapter 7 stressed keeping good records of family documents and photos. Ms. Sturdevant advised keeping a record of where and when items are found and having a method of preservation that allows easy access to the item when it is needed. She has a helpful guide on pg 89. Chapter 8 advised transcribing and annotating documents. This is something I usually do with my albums because I have learned that I do forget the small details such as dates and places. Transcribing documents is helpful if the original is difficult to read or if the grammar is poor. Annotating helps add the context that a viewer may not gain from the document or photo. Chapter 15 is helpful for the serious writer who may want to publish a book with their documents. There were some “asides” in the text that I enjoyed, such as the story about signature albums and quilts (pg 76-79) and her story about codes used for taboo subjects in writings (131). It was a great read!
Some of my favorite books are the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness books, and the one on Impressionism is wonderful. The art of the impressionists is my favorite, particularly Monet and Renoir, and this book is an inspiring read! It is not an instruction book, but it gives an overview of impressionism and the new and improved palette of the time period (pages 20-21). I have tried to use these design elements in this sample page from one of my scrapbooks. I started with the dragon design from a flyer, added the picture of a Qing Dynasty ruler whose dark blue costume matches the dark blue in the dragon design while complimenting the oranges in the background. A little bit of red at the sides of the ruler stand out brightly (just as does Renoir's red hat and ball of yarn in “Two Sisters”). This was a perfect spot in the scrapbook to place our tickets as the pink on the tickets is also found in the dragon design alongside the reds. My family's red shirts (matching shirts we wore on field trips) in the photo stand out against the dark backdrop of the staircase and are complemented by the yellow trim I cut to frame the photo before adding it to the scene.
I have shared my expertise in scrapbooking by teaching my children design elements and helping them in their effort to create cards, scrapbooks, and memory pages to hang on the wall. They enjoy using the fancy scissors to create intricate edges and corners. My daughters have been making most of their own cards with my supplies and are quite good at incorporating buttons and lace into their work.
I helped students at the library make memory pages as part of a winter program. My kids each made a page that fits into an 8x10 frame and boasts photos of them throughout the years. Each one had a winter theme including snowmen and snowflakes that the librarian provided. They were fun to make!

Each time I put together a scrapbook page, I am happier with my results. I have learned a lot about color and framing which has helped me with my layouts and overall designs."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  11:43:43 AM  Show Profile
Angela Neikirk, (#2043) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I grow all my own organic meat (free range chicken, California Red sheep & lamb & Dexter beef). We only use organic feed from Coyote Creek in Texas and DE to worm. We have a great peace if mind knowing that our animals are happy and well looked after right to the end. Many people do not realize how important it is to know where your food comes from, especially the difference between corn-fed and grass-fed beef. Beef is not "just beef", there are significant differences between the two. One major difference is that grain-fed beef has a fat content ranging from 35-75%, well over half of which is saturated fat. In addition, grain-fed cattle are crammed into feed lots where they are not only fed a lot of corn, but animal bi-products, antibiotics, and growth hormones. "Animal bi-products" includes parts of horses and pigs which are lawfully allowed to be ground into the feed. These practices introduce significant risks for both hoof-and-mouth and mad cow disease, as well as a higher risk of E-coli contamination. Keeping cows on grass fed diets greatly reduces all of these risks. A cow's digestive system was designed to digest grass and not corn. Grass-fed beef also has the perfect balance between Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids.

We have made our own cheese & butter from goat & cow milk.

I love the country & growing our own food."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  12:00:07 PM  Show Profile
Carla Crawford, (chappieschick #3366) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have purchased three fabric shopping bags, and three were given to me.

I keep four bags in one vehicle in the pockets behind the front seats. I keep two bags in the other vehicle between the two front seats. It helps to remember to take them in the store when I go shopping."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  12:19:20 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge.

"As I needed to replace all my non-friendly cleaners I started my research on the MJF boards. I found out how to make “The Duggar Family” powdered laundry soap. To make my own bar hand and body soap I went over to a good friend’s house and she helped me make a special batch just for my family. For the all purpose cleaners I began by labeling all my bottles. Water and vinegar for glass cleaner, certain bowls were labeled so that I knew to use them to mix ONLY CLEANERS. I did not want to mix them with the regular food bowls. I have posted my recipes on the MJF boards several times for fellow farmgirls to see.

My own cleaners have turned out wonderful, but I think my favorite was the mouse deterrent that was recommended to me, peppermint oil on cotton balls. My house smells like candy canes!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  12:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"Here are the two weeks of new words:
Catarrh – inflammation of a mucous membrane with increased production of mucus.
In the winter my nose has such catarrh that my eyes feel clogged.
Intestable – not legally qualified to make a will, as an infant or a lunatic.
I was very glad that my grandfather did not wait until he was intestable to write his will and he did it with a sound mind.
Décolleté – of a garment, low necked.
During the civil war only ball gowns were décolleté, everyday garments by contrast were much more conservative in the neckline.
Foist – to force upon or impose fraudulently or unjustifiably.
I try not to foist to many of my schemes on my husband.
Pangram – a sentence, verse, etc., that includes all the letters of the alphabet
As the Farmgirl Emily Matscherz Hack, I do work to come up with designs for Civil War gowns that are out of the regular thought box of any normal, quiet reanacter. That sentence was a pangram.
Pecksniffian – hypocritically and fervently affecting kindness or high moral principles.
In my years of working in the office I have come in contact with many people that are Pecksniffian.
Wiredrawn – finely spun, extremely intricate; minute.
Some would be afraid of a fabric such as a taffeta back silk satin because they feel it is too wiredrawn for their sewing machines.
Cater-cousin – an intimate friend.
Since moving to the area I live in, I have made many acquaintances, but only one new dearly beloved cater-cousin.
Lucubrate – to work, write or study laboriously, especially at night.
My dear husband prefers only to lucubrate, putting me in a frustrating moment in the morning when he is ‘too tired.”
Umbra – the invariable or characteristic accompaniment or companion of a person or thing.
In the movie Shrek, Donkey in the very beginning is an umbra to Shrek, but by the end they are wonderful pals.
Kerf – a cut or incision made by a saw or the like in a piece of wood.
During my pregnancy, my husband had to do all the kerfs to finish the hardwood flooring.
Arroyo – a small steep-sided gulch with a nearly flat floor: usually dry except after heavy rains.
Many of the arroyos in my area were hard hit this year and several of my neighbor’s basements flooded.
Cosher – to treat with special fondness
My sewing students by the end of their time become more friends than clients and I treat them with great cosher.

Reading “Woe Is I” was very difficult for me. I am a grammarphobe, actually I could be president of the club. After I was about one third of the way through it, I got more into the book.

I am very glad that I was able to get through the book. I am also very proud of the new words that I have learned."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page