Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  2:38:36 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Dyeing for Color badge.

"For this badge I used red onion skins to dye a 100% cotton yarn doily I crocheted.

I have been sharing information with my chapter on natural and historical dyes, and have chosen to work with dyes that are safe to dispose of. Although the photo of the final color was taken outside, I did not let it dry in the sun. I purposely did not use a mordant with this dye project. I want to experiment to see how long the color will last this way."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  2:46:28 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Dyeing for Color badge.

"I used wild growing pokeberries to dye wool yarn.

I have been unsuccessful at locating a local farmer to obtain roving. In place of using dyes with roving, I purchased wool yarn. I used a 50/50 water/vinegar solution as my mordant and shared the recipe with my chapter, and posted it on my blog. My journal for saving my recipes and swatches is simply a 3-ring binder and colored tab dividers (to easily locate the colors of dyes I have made). I have also used black tea to dye fabric with."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  2:52:09 PM  Show Profile
Debora Carr, (Debi Carr #1983) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I finished the half apron that I have been working on for the past two evenings. A total of three and one half hours.

I am very impressed with myself as to how nice this apron turned out. And the fabric only cost .50 cents from the Goodwill."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  2:58:06 PM  Show Profile
Debora Carr, (Debi Carr #1983) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted two baby afghans for my new grandbabies. I worked on these over a three month period. I know I crocheted in front of friends and family well over 5 hours, because everyone says I always have a crochet hook in my hand.

The recipients of the afghans were very pleased with the work I did."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  3:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Debora Carr, (Debi Carr #1983) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted an afghan for my friends birthday. It had several different stitches that I had not tried before. It almost looked like a cable knit afghan. using a reverse crochet stitch and tr cluster. I taught my daughter, niece and three friends how to crochet basic stitches.

The afghan turned out beautiful, I didn't get a picture before I mailed it to my friend in TN. Out of the five ladies I taught to crochet, only three have stuck with it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  3:16:32 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson, (JThomp #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"My family and I have had family game night, fairly consistently since April. We also do a lot of reading aloud.

We all look forward to family game night. We did this for a long time but not always consistently. Since April, every Friday is game night, we choose a game and I usually put together some kind of fun game night snack. Dinner is usually pizza or some other fun food favorite. It has been a lot of fun to play our board games each week and all of us getting silly around the table. We have missed a couple times but overall we have stuck with it more than 2 months.

Reading aloud is and has been a big part of our nightly routine for many years. It is typically me who reads aloud but my husband is doing it more and more often. It is fun to let our boys read too. Our dog even likes story time. It really is a special time for us each night. We all get to wind down a bit and settle in to hear a story."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  3:24:32 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson, (JThomp #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I grew some of my own herbs this summer and dried them. I used both my dehydrator and the oven. I dried peppers to make my own red pepper flakes also. I created spice blends from scratch using some of my own dried herbs and peppers.

Everything turned out great. The herbs were very easy to dry and dried very quickly. My family really likes the spice blends I’ve made so far. I did a little recipe searching online to find spice blend recipes to replace our store bought. The taco seasoning is so much better than any store bought and my favorite seasoning is garlic and herb. My husband’s favorite is the Montreal Steak Seasoning. I just bought MaryJane’s book so I am anxious to try some of her blends as well. These spice blends do make great gifts! I hope to grow even more herbs next summer; and have an even larger variety of fresh and dried herbs from my own garden."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  3:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson, (JThomp #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I canned apple pie filling and salsa. I didn’t can my spaghetti sauce but froze it instead. I made Kosher Dill pickles, crunchy pickles, and pickled jalapeno peppers.

This year was my first time canning and I am hooked. I’ve wanted to can for a long time and finally got brave enough to do it this year when my husband bought a water bath canner for me. I went a little crazy making jams, preserves, and fruit butters. I canned pears, applesauce, and apple pie filling. The apple pie filling is delicious and I have to say thank you to a fellow farmgirl sister for her recipe. I can’t wait to try MaryJane’s recipe next year too! I’ve made my husband and two sons very happy with the salsa. This did motivate me to make my own spaghetti sauce, even though I froze it. I probably will experiment with that some more next year. My tomatoes didn’t do very well this year so I had to get them at the farmer’s market and didn’t make nearly as much as I would have liked. I am hoping they do better next year.

I made two different kinds of dill pickles so I can get an idea of what we might like best. I made the Kosher dill with fresh dill and spices and the Crunchy were made with Ball Pickling Spices. So far I’ve only tried the Kosher and I really like them. I ended up with a lot of jalapenos so I decided to pickle them.

It was a lot of hard work but worth it. When I open my pantry all my pretty jars of goodies make me smile. I know when winter comes and the sky turns gray, I can open my pantry doors and let in a little summer sunshine."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  3:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson, (JThomp #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I dried fruit and my family helped put up some of our bounty this year.

I’ve been using a dehydrator and before that the oven to dry fruit for a long time. This year I’ve dried raisins, pineapple, apple rings, bananas, and cherries. Dried fruit is one of our favorite snacks.

My family jumped in and helped out quite a bit with our blueberries, which is an annual event for us. We go out together to a u-pick blueberry patch and then everyone works to get them sorted and ready for the freezer. This year I made jam for the first time and I had some help in the kitchen with that. We also made a family event out of the apples this year. We made applesauce and stewed apples. As a treat I even made an apple cake. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  3:55:27 PM  Show Profile
Gail Springman, (gspringman #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"Packed up the truck and went off for a 4 day camping trip.

No tv, computer or phones, just the great outdoors, hiking, reading and sleeping out under the stars. It was very refreshing."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  4:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Gail Springman, (gspringman #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I talked four other gals into going camping and enjoying the outdoors.

We had such a wonderful time. Hiking the paths and taking in as much nature as we could. Reading books on herbalism, and sleeping in tents. We totally enjoyed ourselves and are already planning to do it again."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  10:46:21 AM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I have done iris folding' paper cross-stitch, made cupboard curtains, made various horse gear and have sewn my own and my children's clothes over the years.

I used metallic gold paper with vellum to make a heart (iris folding) for the front of the scrapbook album for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. No picture--it's in Alaska.

A friend gave me a kit to cross-stitch a bookmark on punched paper. I used it until it wore out, so no picture.

The cupboard curtains were made for our cabin in Bristol Bay, Alaska. No picture--we sold the fishing operation.

I have made horse sheets, blankeys, saddle covers, feed bags, bridle carriers, brush holders for the trailer door and lightweight, emergency raincoats and ponchos.

As far as clothing, I have sewn for years and years and years and wouldn't know where to start taking pictures. This summer I made two bridesmaid's dresses and hemmed a third. So if the time investment needs to be on one project, this would have to be it. The pattern was not true to the posted measurements so I had to alter it extensively for both girls, neither of whom lived close!

As far as time committment, the raincoats and the saddle covers (quilted, by the way!) took the most time. I don't keep track of the time I spend sewing because it is something I like to do, but I have definately put in over 25 hours.

I tried to attach a photo on an earlier badge application and it froze up my computer and would not go through."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  11:36:36 AM  Show Profile
Cathy Pyatt, (cottagefarmgirl #2655) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner and intermediate level Icing on the Cake badge.

"I have taken all 3 Wilton cake decorating courses at the Michael's in Greenville, NC. That should cover the beginner level. The intermediate level has been met since I have made and decorated all of my son's birthday cakes since he was 2 (he's about to turn 10 on 10/30). I have 2 "tackle boxes" full of couplers, tips, bags, food colors. I also have 2 cabinets with baking stuff like specialty pans/3D, turntable, special decorating items.

I do work to use mostly natural and/or organic ingredients. So, I mostly use India Tree food colorings. The colors tend to be less garish and more to my liking as well. My cakes are usually a hit with kids and adults and I can feel good about WHAT I am giving my son. I will continue to use these skills because it is fun, beautiful, and yummy. The picture that I am attaching is a cake I did for my son because he asked for a snowman from Santa. Since Santa cannot safely deliver a snowman of real snow, he agreed that me making a cake would do."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  11:49:44 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I purchased an Excalibur 4 drawer dehydrator at a very good price. It was well worth the investment.

As our gardening season ended we stretched a "putting up" party out over a week long. We worked on drying whatever we could not fit in the freezer or can. We have used the dehydrator to dry all types of herbs, vegetables, and fruits. We plan to make deer jerky after this next hunting season. The photo shows Swiss chard in the dehydrator, including the stalks chopped and drying."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  12:04:41 PM  Show Profile
Gail Springman, (gspringman #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I attended our annual Fall Festival and the last day of Farmers Market in town and went around and passed out the "What is a farmgirl?" cards.

It was a great turn out, all the children in costumes, vendors selling whatever they wanted and people everywhere. I passed out cards and talked with many women in hopes of getting more to join not only our local chapter, but the MJ sisterhood too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  12:11:16 PM  Show Profile
Debi Chandler, (herb19355 #2515) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"Having been around horses as a young girl, I have dreamed of owning my own someday. My husband has shown horses in the past, and talks fondly of owning them again someday. He prefers Racking horses, and I prefer western. We have been watching RFD tv and enjoyed watching many of the horse shows there.

We are going to get a horse!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  12:24:48 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Landin, (dragonfairie #657) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I'm not really a beginner, but I want to be fair and only apply for badges that I earn while being a farmgirl - enough said about that! I made this quilt for one of my pregnant friends at work. Everyone at work contributed a piece of fabric that signified something about them. One of the girls gave a heart pillow that you hug after heart surgery (we are cardiovascular ICU RNs) - it's near the center. I had to plan out the quilt to piece it - it's big, more the size of a picnic quilt. I machine quilted it because everyone was so late getting the fabric to me - I didn't have enough time before the baby shower to handquilt! The back is 4 flannel panels with hearts quilted in the interior corners with lines radiating outward.

Heather was so pleased that she started crying! (I'm the not-pregnant one in the photo.)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  1:59:23 PM  Show Profile
Debi Chandler, (herb19355 #2515) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Horse Dreams badge.

"We have read "The Soul of a Horse" and put up a barbwire fence for our horse.

We did do some checking on breeds. In particular we looked at Racking horses ~ which my husband used to show and American Quarter horses, which are great working horses and easy horses for beginners.

We also discovered that the American Quarter horse is the most poplular breed in the US today. Its name came from its ability to outdistance other breeds of horses in races of a quarter mile or less. The quarter horse was introduced in to the US by a cross breed between English Throughbreed horses and assorted native horses, which were believed to have been brought to the US by the Conquistadors.

The Racking horse is a breed derived from the Tenn Walking horse, and is know for it's singlefoot gait. Ancestors of the Racking horse developed from bloodlines of the Tennessee Walking Horse that arose on southern plantations prior to the American Civil War as a horse which could be ridden comfortably for hours because of a smooth, natural gait. It was also bred for a good disposition, intelligence and versatility.

Just waiting for the right horse.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  2:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Debi Chandler, (herb19355 #2515) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Horse Dreams badge.

"The horse is here! While searching craigslist for an inexpensive goat for my husband, I found TWO free horses.... I called my husband and asked if I could have a horse, (his phone reception was very bad and he thought I said a divorce!) and after we got that cleared up, he said we could go and take a look.

Yesterday, we met a lovely young couple who had two wonderful quarter horses to give away, Roxy and Sunshine. They seemed to think that they are sisters, but my husband thinks they might be mother and daughter. Sunshine will be mine and Roxy will be his. We borrowed a horse trailer, got them loaded (I still have a ton to learn about horses) and brought them to their new home. They are great horses ~ in good shape, and love vanilla wafers. Our "farm" now consists of two horses, a rabbit, a cat and 5 Dachshunds.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  10:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson, (JThomp #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I took some knitting classes starting a year ago to learn how to knit. I’ve knit a lot of dishcloths and I taught a friend how to knit.

Knitting is one of my favorite things to do. I enjoyed the class and learned so much from beginner to intermediate. The dishcloths take me a little longer than 3 hours to make; I’m still a slow knitter. My friend has completed her own dishcloth."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  10:50:02 AM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson, (JThomp #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I made a shrug. I also knitted with a knitting group and in the company of other friends.

The shrug I made was from a pattern I found on the Lion Brand website. It was definitely the biggest thing I’ve done so far and my first wearable that isn’t a hat. It took me well over 20 hours to make, it took me all summer. I did improve my mattress stitch skills The shrug will be so warm and comfy when the nights get colder."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  10:58:59 AM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I actually have been using reusable bags (7) at the grocery store and a basket at the farmer's market for a year or so. I keep my bags for the most part in our shoe rack so I see them every time I am leaving the house. I also try to leave one or two in my car for those unplanned trips to the store. My sister-in-law and I also swap magazine subscriptions every month by leaving the mags in reusable bags on our kids' coat hooks at school that way we don't actually have to find time to meet up but we still get twice the magazines each month.

It works out so well that my 4 year old even likes to help remember and carry the bags to the car so we can go to the store. "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  11:10:26 AM  Show Profile
Norma Santiago, (#3579) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I already have some reusable bags for shopping. I have seven for grocery shopping and three for when I go to the mall or department store. I am committed to using the reusable bags every time I go shopping. I actually use reusable bags for everything around my house or when I go out. I even use them as gift bags, that way the recipient will have a reusable bag too and it makes less waste.

I find it rewarding since I am helping the enviroment. I enter every store I shop with my bag. At the cash register counter they are always happy when I give them my bags to use."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  11:17:48 AM  Show Profile
Jamie Ray, (Glitter Girl #3574) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"I have made wreaths with my grapevine. You have to clear them in the fall to ensure next years harvest. I then decorated it with fall foilage I had on hand. I have shared my wreaths with friends and family, and have been asked to "teach a class" at my daughter's school.

Grapevines are virtually indestructible when incorporated into the wreath design. They are beautiful all by themselves, but when enhanced they are gorgeous. They can be used for any season!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  12:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"Thank you! Yesterday I saw this badge and knew I had to get started right now. Our cupboard we keep our storage containers in was downright scary. You pretty much had to shove the clean container in and shut the door fast. I took them all out. Wiped down the shelves and matched up containers and lids.

I was shocked at how many extras of each we had. Now the cupboard looks bare but beautiful. It made me start of the rest of the kitchen cupboards. Cleaning and reorganizing and getting rid of extras. I can't wait to have a fully organized kitchen. Intermediate badge here I come."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page