Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  12:52:50 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Vernieuw, (quickchick #3220) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"All of my cleaners are bought eco-friendly or I have homemade recipes.
I have started a notecard recipe file of homemade cleaners to reference and share.
If it's not "green", then we don't clean!

It's been fun to try new things and recipes. The kids have gotten into this, too. They each have their own spray bottles to clean with and I feel good about letting them use them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  1:01:47 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Vernieuw, (quickchick #3220) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner and intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have my reusable shopping bags in my purse and 10 in my car. Once I unload my groceries I put them by the door to bring back to the car so they are ready to go for my next shopping trip.
I have researched (books/internet/classes) on using non-toxic cleaners and use them in the house. I also only buy eco-friendly laundry detergent.

This has been an easy change. It's something I've been trying to incorporate for awhile, but would get lazy. I'm definitely more motivated now and realize it doesn't take much effort to "shop green"."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  1:37:26 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson, (JThomp #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I completed a full apron and I’ve worn an apron to several places.

I completed a full apron using Butterick Pattern 6567, Pattern A. I love the fabric that I got on clearance! My skills on a sewing machine are still fairly “beginner” level so it was a challenging pattern for me. It took well over three hours for me to complete. The cut out pieces sat for a couple months before I finally decided to get them put together. Stitching the pieces together probably took me about seven hours, especially if I include the ripping out I had to do. There was a gather on the bib and the apron insert and pleats. I like my new apron and I think it is the prettiest one I own."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  1:45:12 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson, (JThomp #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"My family and I spent the weekend unplugged from the tv, phone, computers, and electronics in general.

When I decided I was going to disconnect, I thought I’d give my family the option to join me and to my surprise they thought it was a good idea. We spent the weekend working a puzzle, talking, reading, and enjoying our hobbies. We also got a few chores done and even had a campout in the living room. I discovered a wealth of time that I didn’t realize I had and was able to work on a couple sewing and knitting projects. The quiet is very nice too and I feel much more relaxed. It was a great weekend and we enjoyed it so much we plan to disconnect at least one weekend a month. Although, the youngest insists we do it every day. Doing this made me very aware of what a distraction all this can be. I look forward to our next “no electronics weekend.”
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  1:53:33 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson, (JThomp #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I kept a gratitude journal every day for a month, writing a different gratitude each day.

I have a lot in my life that I am grateful for so it wasn’t too hard for me to write something down most of the time. I did have some hard days though, that is when it became challenging to write something down that I hadn’t already written. This was great when I was having a bad day because it helped me really look for the positives of the day and focus on that rather than everything that may have gone wrong. I also write my gratitude before bedtime, that way I have pleasant thoughts to go to sleep on."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  2:07:37 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson, (JThomp #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected six reusable shopping bags and have committed to using them.

I already had and use reusable bags for shopping but for this badge I decided to collect at least six more. Now I have plenty of bags to keep some in both cars. I do have to confess that I had a couple places that I didn’t always use my reusable bags but I’ve since started using them there as well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  2:15:10 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson, (JThomp #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been researching ways to clean without toxic cleaners and I’ve committed to using a product that I make myself.

I’ve found a lot of information through the Farmgirl Connection, online, checked out several books from the library, and even purchased a book of cleaning recipes.

For the last 5 months or so I’ve been very committed to using my own homemade laundry detergent. I found the recipe for it online and I am much happier with the homemade variety than the store bought I was using before. I really like that there are no overpowering scents and it is so easy to make. It has also been easier on the budget. I am pretty well hooked on homemade laundry detergent."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  10:59:35 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl Severeide, (k-fallsfarmgirl #309) has received a certificate of achievement in Farmgirl Legends for earning a Chapter Leader badge.

"I Started my chapter the "Klamath Falls Charming Chicks" in August 2009 and have added 15 members. We continue to grow and enjoy our chapter. We meet monthly for regular meetings and have been learning so many wonderful things about each other as we share our crafts and skills. We often meet in between our regular meetings."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  11:32:26 AM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I installed bookshelves in my daughter's room using raingutters. I saw the idea online with a tutorial and knew it would work well for my special needs daughter.
I also read the Dare to Repair book. It's a keeper. (I think I'll be using it in the near future to replace my bathroom faucet.)

I think they turned out well. My daughter is nonverbal and can't ask for a favorite book, and she doesn't have the dexterity to pull out and put back books on a regular bookshelf. So it led us to not reading to her like we did with the other kids. This way, she can see the bookcovers and grab what she wants and we are reading 2 books a night. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  11:44:26 AM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Horse Dreams badge.

"I went to the official website for the Missouri Fox Trotting Horse Breed Association to read the history of the horse. I also read "The Soul of a Horse" by Joe Camp.

The Missouri Fox Trotting Horse developed from horses in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri. Bloodlines can be traced from the early settlers to this area. These horses were prized for their many versatile abilities from working cattle, pulling a buggy, dragging logs, etc. Even today, Fox Trotters can be used in every discipline.

I read Mr. Camp's book and went to his website. He has some interesting ideas, some of which I do not agree with. I felt that he was attempting to force his belief in barefoot trimming on every horse owner. Yet, in the examples of successful barefoot horses, he only cites one endurance horse who is not truly barefoot as he wears boots when he competes. Yes, the horse is not wearing iron, nailed-on shoes, but neither is he barefoot as there is still a layer of protection between his bare hoof and the ground. I ride my horses between 800 and 1000 miles a year in various harsh terrains. Barefoot does not work for me. Barefoot across the board as Mr. Camp proclaims does not work for horses being ridden that hard, carrying extra weight in rocky, mountainous terrain. The people who have ridden with me in that rough terrain whose horses are barefoot have horses that mince along or walk on the side of the trail, off the rocks, because their feet hurt.

I did agree with his statements about letting a horse be a horse in the most natural environment possible. My horses are out 24/7 without shelter. Until it is below 40 degrees and raining or sleeting or snowing with wind, they are left alone. In the above mentioned circumstances, I put waterproof insulated blankets on them and feed them lots of hay."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  12:17:03 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl Severeide, (K-Fallsfarmgirl #309) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer www.vanishingbees.com and planted flowers for my bees in my garden. I read the book and saw the movie "Secret Life of Bees".

The movie trailer was interesting and I loved the book "Secret Life of Bees". After that my husband & I took a class on beekeeping and raised a hive of bees. What fun & the honey was delicious. I planted sunflowers in the garden and many flowers in the yard. We saved the sunflower seeds for the birds this winter."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  12:28:08 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"Since August 1, 20011, I have started an exercise program on my Power Plate, which I purchased in February and just couldn't get myself motivated to learn how to use. It was just another learning curve and I was over it. However, I did finally get out the DVD and manual and dive in.

The manual was four months late getting to me because it was back ordered, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I had been out of the exercise loop since becoming ill with Thyroid problems, so I wasn't looking forward to getting back into it. I knew I was out of shape, but I had been very disciplined before by walking three miles a day, five days a week religiously, no matter what the weather. This routine was easier, in that it was indoors, but it WAS a workout. I have done it for a month now, and I feel much better about it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  12:36:10 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Let's Get Physical badge.

"Since I got started with this in August, I have been on a roll, doing it three times a week for 30 minutes each time. I am accustomed to the routine now, so it is easier in that respect, but it is still quite a workout. I've only missed two days in two months now, so I consider that to be a success.

I nearly always eat only organic food, so that has not been an issue with me. I have kept up the exercise program now for actually three months, and I will continue to do it and expand on it as time and muscles allow.

My diet is very healthy already, so my goal was to get back into an exercise program and I have met that goal finally. I really feel so much better now that I have returned to exercising regularly."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  12:43:28 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I have embroidered for years but have had limited stitches. I chose to do a sampler that had some stitches I had never done before. I really enjoyed working on linen and like how soft and pliable the project was.

I'm pleased with how it turned out. I used 2 strands of floss and wonder how some of the specialty stitches would have looked with only 1 strand. Maybe next time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  12:52:26 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Embroidery badge.

"Displaying my merit badges is so much fun to do on my jacket. I have embroidered all my badges so far. I have placed them on the jacket and am adding 1,2, or 3 buttons for beginner, intermed. and advanced - I think it would be too hard to add another outline once the badge is on the jacket.

I love it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  1:04:28 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Greenfield, (draiodoirmna #752) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I love granola for breakfast or a snack. This is one of my basic versions that has raisins, coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, and almonds in it.

It's fabulous."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  1:23:19 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Greenfield, (draiodoirmna #752) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I am now making my own nut butters plus my own feta cheese. Both are completely organic and homemade.

Have you ever had homemade feta? OMG! I've made a few batches over the past few months and I am so pleased with it. As for the nut butters, I vary the flavors between almond, cashew, sunflower seed and hemp seed. They are all so tasty and easy to make."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  1:32:04 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Greenfield, (draiodoirmna #752) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"This is one of my pantries. I have replaced containers and boxes with labeled mason jars. This picture is of my dry beans and nuts. I also have all of my grains, dried fruit/veggies as well in mason jars.

Being this organized feels great. I can find everything I need because everything is labeled and when I run out of something, I write it down on my pantry shopping list and also turn the jar upside down so I know what needs to be replaced."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  1:39:42 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Greenfield, (draiodoirmna #752) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"In my Household Notebook, I have a Pantry Inventory list as well as a shopping list so I always know what my supplies are. I have gotten rid of any food item that I don't use (I gave them away) and have belonged to Frontier Coop for a few years so I save money on all of my spices and some basic food ingredients. I have a completely functional and user friendly kitchen.

I love being this organized and saving money to boot! Yeah!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  1:57:05 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Goad,(Homestead Dreams #3027) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It Pretty badge.

"I drew a portrait of a friends dog from a photo using black and white charcoal pencils on a grey paper.

I think the drawing turned out well. I have to admit that I've done a bit of drawing in the past, done a few commissioned portraits for the local community college benefactors. I wanted to earn my beginner level badge so that I can attempt to earn the intermediate/expert level badges--painting. I can draw fairly well, but painting intimidates me. It always has. With the pencil there is control, with the paint brush I don't feel that. So it will be a challenge to move on to the next step. I've been able to draw since I was child, but it wasn't until a few years ago, by chance, I discovered I could draw portraits realistically. So by earning this beginner level badge, and going on to face my fear of the paintbrush we'll see I'm capable of that I didn't know before :)

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  2:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Marie Westphal,(#2732) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I started in the kitchen by buying “green cleaners”, which of course, then spread to the bathroom. As I gathered ideas here and there I started a notebook of “ideas, recipes, plans and projects” so I wouldn’t forget or have to go looking all over the place when I had a spare minute to work on things. From there I was super excited to make my own laundry detergent and then on to homemade fabric softener.

Of course it has turned out wonderfully. I have now made my way back to the kitchen where instead of buying green cleaners I made my own dishwasher soap and am next going to make my own cleansers. I share my ideas and my ‘green book’ with friends and family, and in one instance, even a friend of a friend."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  3:14:05 PM  Show Profile
Marie Westphal,(#2732) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I learned to hate plastic bags after seeing so many of them hanging on trees and fences after a major storm; ugh! Plus several times I have had to re-buy products when the bottoms of those plastic bags tear and my goods pound the pavement and shatter. It took me a couple of weeks to gather/or sew them up. Now I love my menagerie of un-matched reusable bags!

It turned out fantastic! The big Native American print one I even sewed on my treadle sewing machine [and my 5 yr. old granddaughter sewed one too!] The hardest part was remembering to put the bags back in my car! Solution: after emptying them I instantly go hang them on the door knob [one has all the rest stuffed inside it] and simply take them out to my car and toss them in the next time I go out! Now I always have them with me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  4:09:03 PM  Show Profile
Marie Westphal,(#2732) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"First of all, I designed and printed a beautiful gratitude journal to write in. I thought that if I had a beautiful photo of something I loved and that brought me joy [swing in a tree, flowers, clothes on a line] to look at every time it would encourage me to write every evening.

I couldn’t wait to see what beautiful picture I had picked out next and to think, really think, about what I was thankful for that day. Honestly, I was surprised how many times it was simple things: to feel the cool dirt between my toes, swinging with my granddaughter, being able to smell the fresh, clean laundry. It was nearly always the simplest things!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  12:21:07 PM  Show Profile
Marie Westphal,(#2732) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"I started inviting my [grown] children over on Monday nights to try new recipes out on them and it wouldn’t take long before we were dragging out Scategories, Uno, etc. “Remember when we used to play these?” was all it took!

Playing the games was such fun, my grown kids were kids again. As for the reading out loud, my oldest daughter and her two daughters and my teen-age daughter took an overnight trip together and one of the most memorable things we did was taking turns reading out loud one of Mitch Alblums books, "Five People You Meet in Heaven"."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  12:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Marie Westphal,(#2732) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"Simple, I picked an unfamiliar word each day for 2 weeks and tried to use it and remember it. (I teach English so I am not big on slang; that part was easy.)

It turned out pretty good all in all. I realized that although I learned new words, at my age I tend to use words that have become comfortable to me; it is harder to remember to inculcate them into everyday speech."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page