Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  1:33:46 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Goad, (Homestead Dreams #3028) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a half apron using the pattern out the MaryJane Book.

I blogged about it at:

http://spiritualhomesteading.blogspot.com/2011/12/apron-of-my-own.html

My apron is cute! And thrifty--I used leftover supplies from other projects so it cost me no money out of pocket. The only problem I have is that one of my daughters fell in love with it and is using it--I may not get it back. Might need to make another!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  1:49:41 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Montague, (Lady in Pearls #3466) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"After a few weeks, I've finally fazed out the harsh chemicals in my house and use only Seventh Generation dish soap, vinegar, and Seventh Generation multi-purpose spray for cleaning products now. I bought us a drying rack for our clothes, Soap nuts with geranium oil for our laundry detergent and Diatomaceous Earth for any pest problems. We have also switched to completely recycled bath tissue and stocked up on reusable grocery and produce bags. We've decided together to keep harsh chemicals out of our apartment and have shared our knowledge and products with friends and old roommates.

Everything has either helped financially, like the soap nuts, or aesthetically, like the wonderful-smelling counter tops. Many of our friends have since began cleaning with vinegar and hang-drying their laundry. All in all, my husband and I feel better and safer living in our home."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  2:00:56 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I started a new tradition last Christmas when I ran out of the topo maps I used for wrapping gifts. I decided to go more reusable so sewed most of the gift bags. As I just started and haven't made enough for the family to reuse them all I made more this year.

I love making these and hope to make enough that the family can send them around to each other. The family was disappointed after loosing my trademark maps and really enjoyed this new wrapping as they could tell which gifts were from me. I like the reusability aspect of them and have learned to make box bottom bags."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  2:18:36 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Crochet badge.

"When I found out I was pregnant I wanted a project to keep me busy when I was too big to do much else. This cozy carrier works corners and multiple colors together and I used organic yarn.

Over the years, I taught my "little sister", several friends and my nieces kids how to crochet.

I think it will be nice and warm through the upcoming winter and I hope something I will be able to pass along."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  2:38:38 PM  Show Profile
Colina Washburn, (Rubyleesmom #3408) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I purchased a fabric panel from my local walmart that had all the pieces and simple instructions for making a childs christmas apron for my 5 year old daughter. It is a full apron with a ruffled skirt and it took me two evenings to complete.

My daughter Ruby loves it and loves to wear it while helping me prepare dinner!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  2:46:41 PM  Show Profile
Colina Washburn, (Rubyleesmom #3408) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

" For my beginners crocheting project I made a simple straight scarf from a "Learn to Crochet kit". It took me about a week to complete it as I took it to work with me and worked on it during my down time and lunch breaks. The yarn is a pretty rose color.

I really enjoyed learning to crochet and will definitely be starting a new crochet project soon!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  3:04:52 PM  Show Profile
Elli Metz, (#2251) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Spinning badge.

"Last year, when I was largely out of touch via internet (but still a sister!), I bought a full jacob fleece at the Southeastern Animal and Fiber Festival in Asheville, NC. Since I don't have access to a drum carder, I carded the ENTIRE FLEECE by hand -- from washing it to the carding, to pulling it into roving, to spinning that sucker on a Lendrum single-treadle wheel. Best. Time. Ever. I taught my neighbor, Teri, to help, since that was a *ton* of fleece. (Well, 6 pounds, at least.)

From Jester (that was the sheep's name), I did several 200-yard balls of single ply, and a metric ton of thin singles over the next few months, that I plied into a DK-weight (15 wpi) two-ply yarn. The yarn was gifted to a knitting friend.

For several months, in lieu of a spinning *class* in the requirements, I taught my stitch 'n' [bleep] group how to spin at our meetings. A couple girls have gone on to buy wheels, and at least one is enrolled in the Master Spinner Program now, so apparently, I infected her with the bug. :)

I'm hooked on spinning. I sold my wheel when we moved to NE, but I still have my drop spindle and several braids of off-the-hook gorgeous top to play with when my fingers itch.

I've made all kinds of things out of the yarns created, most of them gifts, a few for me. It's probably my favorite of the fiber arts.

The attached picture is of one of the novelty yarns made from fiber I dyed, spun thick and thin, left as a single-ply. (It was prettier to look at than the more boring two-ply even yarns were. LOL!)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  3:43:12 PM  Show Profile
Elli Metz, (#2251) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I literally saw this badge and SQUEED. Scared the dogs.

My name is Elli, and I'm a button addict. (HI ELLI.)

My jar of buttons has far more than 50 in it (collected lovingly off every shirt, antique store run, and thrift store re-do I've ever had or done), and threatens often to take over my house. I'm kind of okay with that.

My intermediate task: I looked up button jewelry last week and got nearly nothing else done. Button! bracelets! and! necklaces! and! pins! zomg.

In the end, I went with the simplest of projects. I had five black buttons that I wired together for a choker, and learned to make my own clasp bit for the chain part. I did use a store-bought lobster clasp to hold it together, but the rest of it is aaaaallll me.

Thanks to Mary Jane's Sisterhood, now I want a whole wardrobe of button jewelry. While my button jar thanks you, my husband, who does occasionally want me to stop making jewelry and make *dinner* instead, may not be as gracious. :D

(p.s. Pardon the HORRIBLE, unbrushed hair in the photo. It's early here. :>)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  4:16:51 PM  Show Profile
Elli Metz, (#2251) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Rather than buying six reusables, I set about making six.

I've just cast on the seventh (the "Everlasting Bagstopper" pattern from knitty.com, by the way), which I'll get a picture of. (The rest, I've put in the truck, which is with my husband at work right now. If they're in the vehicle, I never forget to take them with me to the store, which I use EVERY TIME now.)

Even though I started collecting market bags a couple years ago (knit my first one in 2007, I believe), I really kicked it into gear this year, since all of the other ones I've knit have been acquisitioned by friends and my mom, who keeps stealing them when I'm not vigilant. (I ask her if she wants me to knit her a set, and I get the "I don't want to be any trouble, dear". This year, she's getting market bags for Christmas.)

All seven are in cotton, this one in the picture is a different *kind* of cotton, and I think I prefer the ones with a little bit of acrylic in them to give a teensy bit of stretch to the final product.

So there's my verdict. :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  4:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Let's Get Physical badge.

"This morning I did my first 5K race - I walked it because my knees don't allow me to run anymore. I was very proud of myself because I finished in 57:53 minutes and I have never been able to do it in under an hour before. Usually it takes an hour and five minutes.

This race was the Reindeer Run which benefited our local food bank. My sweetie walked it with me and it was challenging.

I have also been doing my exercise program on my Power Plate for 17 weeks now and I intend to continue with that.

I probably won't do another 5K race though, because I ended up with blisters on the soles of my feet, which has never happened to me before. I'll have to stay off of them as much as possible for the next few days to recuperate."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  10:18:44 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"My neighbor up the street from me showed me how to can apple pie filling and she let me sample her wonderful apple pie that she had made from hers. (see picture)

I took a canning class this summer and we learned how to can tomatoes. I made some spaghetti sauce from it and it was rather tasty, although I prefer my raw tomato basil sauce that I make.

I also learned how to make veggie kraut, which is a fermented kind of sauerkraut, but I won't be eating that. I did not care for it at all, even though I know it is very good for me. You can have that one!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  10:59:02 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Self-sufficiency badge.

"Recently I bought a new Excalibur dehydrator that has a timer on it. That is a big improvement over my old one! I dried bananas, peaches and strawberries in it and they are delicious.

That was sort of a problem in that I liked them way too much and ate a whole package of them all at once. I'll have to try to discipline myself better over those in the future.

My neighbor Paula up the street from me and I had a canning party Friday and she showed me how to can apples. We put up 14 jars of apples, so that should last me through the winter pretty well.

It's a lot easier to do this in the Fall when the weather cools off. I'll dehydrate in the summer, but I won't do canning while it's so hot outside."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  11:06:22 AM  Show Profile
Chris Pruitt, (Chip #3669) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I have spent the last 3 weeks (with 2 more remaining) with my 93 year old father living at my house. We've had so much time to visit and go over the geneology he and his sister put together.

Honestly, it's been a bit of a trial as he fell at my son's choir concert, but he's doing better. I will be returning him to Kansas after Christmas but 'till then we have even more time to visit; I'll have more time to learn the things he has to teach, which are many."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  11:16:00 AM  Show Profile
Chris Pruitt, (Chip #3669) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together a basic sewing kit to be carried in my camping gear, my glove box, and my tote bag.

I think it's a good idea to have these available, and I'll get to address sewing with the Boy Scout troop I'm an Asst. Scoutmaster for."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  11:22:55 AM  Show Profile
Chris Pruitt, (Chip #3669) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I practiced making seams on both my machine and by hand. With my 93 year old dad visiting, I've had time to sit & listen while doing handwork.

So far my sewing is going well. I've made an apron to hold my Farmgirl Sisterhood membership badge. I love it and it's out of Girl Scout fabric since I spent so long as a GS."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  11:29:08 AM  Show Profile
Chris Pruitt, (Chip #3669) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made my half apron out of Girl Scout fabric my sister bought me for my birthday. It got decorated with some rick-rack and has a pocket.

It turned out great. My visiting dad said it makes me look like Mom who I remember wearing an apron around the house. I wear it all the time over my jeans and t-shirt."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  12:36:47 PM  Show Profile
Amy Marquardt, (amarquardt #3706) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I counted the reusable shopping bags I had handy...33 was the general count I came up with. Of these 28 are kept in the back of my car for easy access when out shopping or traveling. You never know when you might need a bag!

This turned out well. I typically do 90% of my shopping at places that are BYOB (bring your own bag)so I have to use my own."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  12:50:20 PM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn, (Christmasgal #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I did homemade cocoa mix for gifts and ornaments of small paper snowflakes with a little glitter on them.

It all came out wonderful, the gifts were loved and the snowflakes were the added touch the tree needed."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  12:58:36 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Marshall, (Nancym #159) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We started a chicken flock 5 years ago, which includes some hens listed by the ALBC as threatened, watch and recovery. We have always used organic feed as well as food from our organic garden to feed them.

Last year we acquired a small herd of Nigerian Dwarf goats (an ALBC recovering breed). Since then I've learned to milk and make my own cheese! We are so enjoying our goaties. We entered our doe in the state fair this year. She came in dead last in her class but we love her anyway :-)

I haven't eaten meat in 20 years so that particular area of the backyard farmer designation doesn't apply.

I LOVE having our goaties-they are so fun! Chickens have turned out to be most excellent little farm animals- very low maintenance and you can't beat the fresh eggs. We love them and are able to provide the extras to friends who love them too."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  1:22:00 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn Edlund, (edlund33 #1100) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Tatting badge.

"I taught myself how to tat with two colors of thread and experimented with a few small projects using sizes 10, 20, and 30 threads. And I learned how to add beads to my work.

I tatted an edging on a 12" square hankie. I do not know how to crochet so I found and used instructions from an old booklet on how to attach the tatting to the edge of the hankie as I worked using a joining picot.

I've given several of my smaller two-color snowflakes and beaded medallion projects as gifts. The hankie turned out lovely and it's so pretty I can't bring myself to use it so I have it displayed on my dresser.

It is so fun to look back at earlier projects and see how my skill is improving."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  1:46:47 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"I don't text often, but when I do I refuse to use the slang or single letter meanings that have become common. Not using acronyms is difficult with my job as they are everywhere and we have a thick book of them.

As a gift a few years back I received a book "The Word Museum". It has amazing words that have been forgotten. So I used that as an inspiration for my two weeks of words.

fubbery: deceit, deception
quanked: Overpowered by fatigue
thigger: One who draws on others for subsistence in a genteel sort of way
mawmsey: sleepy, stupid as from want of rest of over-drinking.
sandillions: Numbers like the sand on the seashore
vomitory: A door of a large building by which the crowd is let out
yoicks: an old hunting cry
stampointed: Bewildered, overcome with astonishment
pig's whisper: A loud whisper, one meant to be overheard
placeparted: Sent out of the world in peace
repurple: to make purple again, to doubly dye with purple
landjobber: One who buys and sells lands for other men
farded: Painted, embellished
hove: to take shelter

What I love is that most of the words are not recognized by the spell checker.

I enjoyed looking up various words and trying to find ways to use them. Some were more difficult than others."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  2:08:01 PM  Show Profile
Gail Springman, (gspringman #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Get 'er Done badge.

"Our chapter adopted a room to completely furnish for a woman transitioning into her own place, from our local women's shelter. We began with new paint for the walls, carpeting, vinyl and then furnished it with bed, dresser, kitchen table, cubboards and a few neccesities to get one started.

It turned out so beautiful and welcoming. We are so very proud of what we have accomplished."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  3:28:40 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Make It Pretty badge.

"I've been painting all kinds of things most of my married life. I actually learned how to use oils some years ago when painting decorative doors for our house. And, I've used oils in painting decorative pots and frames.
Just in the last few months I started using oils to paint ATCS (artist trading cards) and special holiday greeting pieces to either send in swaps (I belong to several ATC trading groups) or to special friends and family. They were available for local public viewing before they were sent.

Since I've been decorating and redecorating our homes all my married life and am a "master repurposer" I learned many years ago to take any frame I could get my hands on, and I've made frames, to frame my needlework pieces, photographs, family photos, make shadow boxes, etc. That included properly mounting, securing, wiring and making hangers.

As always it is very satisfying to create and share the things I can create, as well as take things that need new life and refurbish, repurpose and refresh."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  3:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Breanna Helgesen, (Breanna #2507) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Cross-Stitch badge.

"I went to my local craft store and bought a cross stitch bookmark pattern and a large pack of embroidery floss. I set to work cross stitching and enjoyed it very much.
I could not upload a picture because I took one on a phone and it will not connect correctly to my computer :-(

It turned out nicely. I did make a few mistakes, such as starting too high on the bookmark (I couldn't fit in a few stitches) and I had to take out some stitches in other areas. But altogether it was very pretty and I gave it to my Grandmother for Christmas :-)."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  10:41:54 AM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell, (QuiltingBea #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"Today was nice winter day in VA, so I was able to work outsude. I cleaned and oiled all my outdoor garden tools and put them away. I oiled the chain on my bike and hung it up in the shed out of the weather. I also used WD40 to oil all the door hinges in my house. We live in an old house with doors in all the rooms.

I feel good knowing all my tools will be rust free and ready to use come spring. My doors open easily without me having to pull on them."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page