Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  2:22:53 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Pipes has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"I am so excited to have been blessed with my beloved Grandma's button box. When I was little I played in it all the time and helped her cut buttons off of clothing no longer fit to wear.. then we cut the fabric into either strips for rugs or rags for cleaning rags. I still hate to ever get rid of anything with nice buttons and can't resist them at thrift stores and garage sales.. my daughters are button collectors too. My collection is housed in an old wooden box the size of a shoebox and is full of old buttons, little trinkets from my grandma and memories.

I love that I never am at a loss for the perfect buttons for a project. And I will never stop collecting. Buttons are a part of my childhood.

I put the date of my Grandma's passing away as the day I started my own button collection. She gave me her box the week before. It is for sure an ongoing project!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  10:35:32 AM  Show Profile
Sharon Crosswhite has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge!

"Since I knew how to crochet, I didn't have to re-learn! I earned my merit badge by crocheting a scarf and hat set. The person I taught how to crochet was my daughter. She made a dishcloth.
The hat and scarf turned out great! I made a ruffle edge on the scarf just to try something different. I designed the hat myself!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  10:50:08 AM  Show Profile
Tammy Claxton has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge!

"I picked some coordinating buttons and strung them together with blue and clear glass beads. I also made my 5 year old daughter a red one! It turned out very well! Everyone who sees it on my arm loves it! I'm very proud of my button bracelet!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  11:38:30 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand to Farm Families badge!

"I fulfilled the requirements for this badge by helping a farm neighbor of mine who recently opened a Farmstead Cheese operation at their dairy farm. The farm is run by two brothers who took over the operation from their father; it provides a portion of the support for both families with supplemental income through the farm wives. Together the families have begun making cheese with their own hormone-free milk as a way to add value to their product and hopefully save their farm from going under due to non-farm-friendly politics.

It was reading Barbara Kingsolver’s “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” that opened my eyes to the plight of small farms and the need for me, as a consumer, to support local agriculture. This means not only buying foods produced locally, but also lending a helping hand when possible. On March 3rd I spent the afternoon, along with my children, cutting, wrapping, and pricing hard cheeses; filling yogurt and soft cheese containers; writing up labels, and helping prepare foods for the Winter Farmer’s Market the following day. Then on Saturday the 4th, while everyone was at market, I spent the morning sweeping and mopping and doing general cleaning and organizing (always needed!). We were very pleased that the weather did not disturb the market and very little was brought home!

Since I have also been trained in caring for hard cheeses, I am a frequent visitor at the farm. I am pleased to tell you that I am also half way to intermediate level of this badge with my morning visits to the aging room. But more than that…I am so pleased to be part of a group of volunteers helping to keep this farm going."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  12:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge!

"I have known how to crochet since I was about 10 years old, so in order to fulfill the requirements for this badge, I made two different dishcloths from wrapped 100% cotton that I picked up at a yard sale. In order to fulfill the badge’s requirement to learn something new, I found two patterns that utilized stitches that were new to me: the green cloth has a picot trim which I have never made before, and the round cloth was a style I had never tried. The two cloths together filled the three hour requirement.

I also taught my daughter how to sew together and trim her granny square afghan with a simple double crochet trim—something she has never done before.

They look good and will be quite useful!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  12:16:33 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge!

" I have fulfilled the requirements for this badge at the beginner level by knitting two dishcloths from 100% cotton. Since I have known how to knit since I was 18, I challenged myself to two new patterns—basketweave (didn’t enjoy this one), and a simple block pattern made with four stitch by six row alternating blocks of knitting and purling (I enjoyed this pattern and felt that it was a good one for a dishcloth). In order to meet the three hour time requirement I made two cloths.
I have also just taught someone to knit—my husband! He has been watching me and reading my patterns, convinced that anyone could do it. So…I taught him! He actually does very well and is about 2 feet into a k1p1 scarf. He is falling into his own particular gauge and has found his own way to hold the yarn (different from how I hold it) that works for his larger hands. He finds it relaxing and looks forward to picking it up in the evenings. He swears his next project will be a pair of socks. He already has the yarn!
They look great!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  12:25:31 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I have fulfilled the requirements for this badge on the beginner level by making and filling two sewing kits! The first kit I made was given to my son; we called it a “mending kit” because he is very good at mending his clothing when they need it. It contained all the necessaries: different colors of thread, needles, small scissors, safety pins, straight pins, and spare buttons sewn to the inside. (I did not add a pincushion to this kit because he didn’t need it.) I gave it a snap closure and made it out of masculine fabric of his choice. He loves it!
My second kit was made from very feminine fabric (pink gingham and a lovely floral leftover) of my own choosing. I filled it with all the same items but also constructed a matching pincushion out of canning lids and polyfil. Most of the sewing on these kits was done by hand and the rest was done on my new treadle machine—my first project with it.
These kits were fun to assemble and helped long days of recovering from the flu to go much more easily—I’ll take any excuse to sit with a needle, thread, and some pretty fabric!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  12:56:06 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Claxton has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Make-do badge!

"How to use plastic grocery bags to make "plastic yarn" or "Plarn"? I cut the bags into strips, interlocked them and rolled the "Plarn" into a ball. I then crocheted a purse out of it. The straps are from a fellow farmgirl and the button on it is from my grandmother-in-law. I think it turned out great! Everyone loves it and I am now working on a big blue "Plarn" ball to make a tote bag with."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  10:41:42 AM  Show Profile
Angela Blakely has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge!

"I realized about a year ago that my cleaning habits needed to change so the cleaning up merit badge was the perfect place to start. We often had to leave the house after I cleaned to get some fresh air! That "clean smell" was for me, Clorox and pine scented anything. I was constantly using aerosol air fresheners. I began by assessing what I used in cleaning and doing internet research for alternatives. I have made my own laundry soap, all purpose cleaner, furniture polish and linen spray. The apron in the photo is the clothespin apron from the "Ideas" book and is my first MJF stitching project. I have developed a new love for my apron, clothes pins and my clothesline. The challange has made me more aware of costly, harmful chemicals as well as the waste of electricity. I keep a "recipe" book of what works for me and frequently share it with others as their curiosity peaks.
Believe me, that "clean smell" has a whole new meaning! I find myself avoiding the cleaning aisle in the grocery store as I can no longer tolerate what I used to think clean meant. Also, I feel connected with those farmgirls who discovered the cleaning power of lemons and vinegar!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  10:41:07 AM  Show Profile
Jonni Lynch has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever badge!

"My husband built two new raised beds for me this year, and being seduced by the Seed Savers catalog selection, and how well the garlic I purchased from them is doing (Mary Jane, you were sold out of your garlic when I bought mine ;)), I elected to buy a selection of both heirloom veges and flowers. Luckily, I was also starting head long into my Sisterhood badges, and heirloom planting is one of them!

To start for early spring we have planted: La Ratte fingerling potatoes, Red Gold all use potatoes, Green Arrow English Peas, Yellow Borettana Onion, Oxheart Carrots and an heirloom selection of leaf lettuces (4 different types). Early Summer planting will bring Ideal Market Green Beans and Henderson Bush Lima Beans (both pole growers, so I can utilize my lovely willow teepees :). I will also, at that time, plant Benary's Giant Zinnias and Outhouse Hollyhocks. I'm hoping for a wonderful crop of beautiful food...and a new sisterhood badge!!!

It's in the process...I will take photos throughout the growing season to show my progress (or not, as the case may be). Cross fingers!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  11:27:57 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Lend a Hand to Farm Families badge!

"I have earned the intermediate level of Lend a Hand to Farm Families spending more than 10 hours with my dairy farming neighbor who is only recently producing dairy products for sale at two local Farmers’ Markets as well as at natural food stores, restaurants in New York City, and even for meals at the governor’s mansion! I visit the farm each day to scrub and wash the aging cheeses. This only takes about a half hour, although some days I am there a little longer to wrap small cheeses to take to market on Saturday. I am receiving my “affineur” training through another area cheese maker who teaches me small techniques each time she visits.

Currently I care for an aged cheddar, a pasteurized Caerphilly cheese, and a raw milk cheese we call “Grace”—a signature product [pictured below]! I also tend a small cheese that grows a white mold rind and delivers a sharp flavor.

Not only have I learned a lot about cheese making, but I have developed a taste for finer cheeses which I have always shunned. Having a hand in the making has given me courage to try new food products and this has trickled down to my children who often join me at the cheese farm—they try everything and have found many new favorites! The work I do with my neighbor has boosted my determination to homestead and given me some new experiences to draw from as my family makes that shift."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  11:53:11 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge!

"I have earned the beginner level of this badge by getting my storage containers organized. I discarded containers with missing parts (recycling some) and gathered all my heavy duty plastic containers from yogurt (eaten daily from our local homestead cheese maker) with their lids: some go back to the farm for refilling while others have been stored for freezing sauces and other foods this summer.

Once that was done, I decided the rest of my cupboards could use some organizing, too, so I pulled everything out and have it all in its place now. And as an added bonus—since I was pulling everything out of the cupboard, I cleaned them all down and finally painted them to match the rest of the kitchen! Yippee, they all look so pretty…and organized!

The weather was real nice that week and perhaps I had a touch of spring fever. One thing led to another and before I was done I cleaned out under my sink and threw away old cleaners, too. Then I washed some windows, cleaned out my fridge, and organized my pantry. It all looks so sparkling new!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  12:24:46 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Get It Together badge!

"I started by purchasing a couple items that I have badly needed: an apple wedger/corer, and an old fashioned food mill. I found them at the thrift store for less than $5 for both.

Then I built a spice shelf to organize my spices which had been difficult to find in their disorganized state. The shelf came out just as I wanted and looks great in my kitchen next to the food pantry.

Then I built some braces and shelves for the other cupboards to help support large items and organize small items, too. I have my baking supplies neatly sorted and my baking sheets no longer slip and slide all over the cupboard. I created a brace for my serving platters so that they are easy to reach and will not fall over when bumped. This has made my kitchen very easy and fun to use!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  12:22:23 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge!

"I have finally sharpened all the knives in my cupboard, thanks to a handy tool I found at the hardware store while shopping for hinges (as part of my Little Squirts badge project). I bought it, brought it home, and had all my knives sharpened in a short time with little effort and no fatal wounds!

It’s a simple blade sharpener that allows the user to lay the knife on a table and then glide the sharpener across it. It works easily and quickly and has a guard to prevent accidental contact with the blade. Unfortunately, it is not created for scissors…and I have so many that need sharpening. But at least all of my blades are sharp and free from nicks. They work wonderfully! My daughter was so pleased when I asked her to cut up some sausage for me…she hardly had to use any effort.

Now, thanks to my efforts in earning all the levels of this badge, my kitchen is such a pleasure for me to work in. My cupboards are clean and newly painted, my dishes are sorted and each have their own space, and my knives are as sharp as they were when I got married…what more could a farm wife want???"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  09:26:18 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge!

"I have finished sewing a half apron for my daughter. It was made from the remnants of a sheet that I used as quilt backing. In the top corners near the ties I added yoyos from my yoyo swap, with a button in the middle of each from my collection of “lost and found” buttons. She is very pleased with it and loves to wear it during school (here at home), in the kitchen, or even in her bed while reading!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  09:42:29 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge!

"I have finished keeping my gratitude journal for an entire month. This was not difficult since I already keep a journal (so I’m in the habit!) but I must admit that I suffered an entire week of “bad attitude” and the journal really made me think about what I could be grateful for without repeating previous gratitudes (ie. my children, the sunny weather, etc). Of course I was always able to come up with something to be grateful for because in truth, we always have something to be grateful for!! I’ll be keeping this up and making it part of my everyday journaling!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  12:47:15 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge!

"I have fulfilled the requirements for this badge at the intermediate level by making an anklet from my button collection. This was a fun project to do with my young daughter while we were both recovering from the flu and didn’t feel like doing much else. Here is a picture of our projects. We tried different techniques and ended up stitching them to a piece of ribbon which was attached to old jewelry findings which allowed us to clasp them on. My daughter made two more bracelets before she was fully well again: one for her friend, Karoline, and one for her doll, Rebecca. That kept her happily occupied and content!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  1:34:00 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"I have fulfilled the requirements for beginner level on this badge. I have had a backyard flock of chickens for about 4 years now, but we have only recently ventured into our own hatching. We had one black Australorp named “Smokey Mountain Mama” who successfully hatched four chicks from our own eggs. Those chicks are now old enough to lay eggs, which leads us to the next level—hatching some of their eggs as well! I am orchestrating a mating program which should give us a unique looking offspring.
I enjoy my chickens so much that I have put up with four roosters in my yard for the entire winter! What a racket! And coop cleaning is barely a chore since my hens enjoy the fresh hay so much that I look forward to the project and their enjoyment.
We still get eggs from our old hens and I think that is because we strive to feed them as naturally as possible. They get a regular feed when necessary—during snowbound days—but whenever possible I have my hens outside where they can scratch. They get all of our organic veggie waste—lettuce, tomatoe, spinach, and carrot peels being some of their favorites—as well as waste yogurt and cheese which I have only recently begun to receive from my dairy farmer friend. I was shocked to find that they love it! I think this has contributed to healthier birds and absolutely wonderful eggs—yolks as bright as sunshine! My hens have vibrant color and fullness—all due to natural conditions!
Here’s a photo of two of our grown hatchlings, a rooster we call Courage, and a hen who is named after her mother because she looks just like her—Princess II. I will be using this and other photos for some “Farm Animal” greeting cards to sell at a local craft and art fair."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  1:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge!

"First of all, Barbara Kingsolver’s book “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” is one of my favorite books and one that I recommend to anyone who will listen to me. It absolutely changed my perspective on eating, buying local, and supporting organic practices.
Secondly, my food journal was not very difficult to keep since I am the main shopper for my family and my stops are few. I get most of my vegetables at the Winter Farmer’s Market in South Glens Falls; these include spinach, leeks, potatoes, carrots, shallots, rutabagas, and winter squash—all of them grown organically! These veggies make up the majority of our meals, mostly in the form of soups which also incorporate our own homegrown chickens and beef purchased from a local farmer and “stashed” in my large freezer. My bread comes from Rock Hill—a local artisan bread baker; my dairy foods all come from my dairy farmer neighbor who makes yogurt, cheeses, and vat pasteurized milk; and my eggs come from my own hens. Anything else that I need comes from either a food Co-Op of which I am a member, or a nearby grocery store which is conscientious about offering local and organic foods. I can always find what I need easily!
My attempts at sprout farming have been wonderfully successful and, oh, so much cheaper than buying sprouts! I have had success with both alfalfa seeds and mung beans. I like to do larger seeds as they are easier to strain and rinse. I also found a good way to keep them in semi-darkness without forgetting them; I just put them in my cupboard with the cups—that way I see them each day and never forget to rinse! They are delicious in my winter spinach salads with locally produced feta cheese…yum!
We have come up with several wonderful recipes for using our organic fruits and veggies. Our soups are an amalgamation of whatever is available at the market that week; our organic fruits—usually apples and pears—are blended with yogurt from our neighbor or spread onto cheese sandwiches to grill; I put sprouts into our salad along with fresh organic spinach (my kids eat their spinach and don’t even know it!). We have come up with dozens of ways to enjoy anything the Farmer’s Market offers!
We eliminated hydrogenated oils from our diet years ago, and are now working on GM foods and oils (very difficult). We are also reading labels to discover what sweeteners are in our foods. We are grateful for Paul Newman’s products which are widely available and seldom offensive.
I have also shared my recently acquired knowledge and resources with everyone who will listen, beginning of course with my own dear mother! She is very open to learning about food and becoming a conscientious shopper!
All in all, I have earned the beginner level for “Know Your Food”!

In my photo you’ll see that it is not too difficult to find delicious, local and organic foods in Washington County, NY: No-spray Apples from Saratoga Orchards; All Natural yogurt from Argyle Cheese Farm; turnip, rutabaga, and carrots from Pleasant Valley Organics, Argyle; and red-leaf lettuce from Village Store Co-Op in Cambridge."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  2:00:15 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"(February 20-March 20)

I have fulfilled the requirements for beginner level on this badge by ordering all of my seeds through Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, a company I found through the You Grow Girl website. I am thrilled with the choices and variety of plant seeds available; they had everything I was looking for and much more. In fact, I have replaced ALL of my gardening with heirlooms because I was so intrigued by the varieties! That surpasses the 5% necessary for this badge!)

I also borrowed the book “Gardening with Heirloom Seeds” by Lynn Coulter. I found this to be very helpful for planning my gardening and scheduling indoor starters, placing transplants, and even harvesting dates. With Lynn Coulter’s advice, I have begun to start my earliest seeds in milk jug greenhouses (also from YouGrowGirl.com) and have them sitting in the warm sunshine on my enclosed porch. I enjoyed the book (borrowed from my library) so much that I decided to purchase it. It now sits on my special book shelf for Farm and Garden books. I found several varieties I would like to find for next year, as well as a wealth of information about what I am growing and where it came from. This is a book I want handy at all times!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  2:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge!

"March 20-April 1

I have been quilting since my last pregnancy, ten years ago. It was at that time that I found a woman at my church who quilted and asked her to teach me. We had become quite close the year before when I was allowed to sit in on her home birth and ended up “catching” the baby myself when the midwife failed to show up on time! It was wonderful fun to sew with her and see so much of the little girl I’d helped bring into the world, while also expecting my own little one (which I chose NOT to have at home, mind you!).

So, since I have quite a lot of experience with quilting, I decided to pursue the crazy quilt design which I have only recently learned to do. I made my small quilt from the remnants of fabrics, leftover from clothing and quilting projects. I embroidered the seams and added crocheted butterflies and buttons. I used some heavy fabric leftover from an upholstery project to construct a bag with the quilt on one side and plain green on the other side. This will be my “Farmgirl Sisterhood” bag—for carrying my Sisterhood project materials, and a binder where I keep my badge notes and journals. On the plain green side I have sewn my Henrietta badge and will add my other badges as I earn them.

I am very pleased with my quilted bag, especially since the entire project was sewn on my new treadle machine that I have finally figured out how to use!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  11:47:51 AM  Show Profile
Susan Arkles has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"Two weeks ago I got the book by Lynn Coulter and read it. It was very informative. I took notes on the plants I am growing this year. As I add new plants I can go back to the library and check it out again. In Jan. I found out about seed savers and joined right away.

Of the 13 kinds of seeds I have started 7 are heirloom seeds - Greek Oregano, Giant Italian Parsley, Yugoslavian Red Lettuce, Tennis Ball Lettuce, Forellenschuss Lettuce, Green Arrow Peas and Spider Flower Mixture.

I started all the seeds except the flower mix because they need to be sown directly in the garden. Everything is coming up. The peas and lettuces are all in the garden but oregano and parsley are still inside."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  11:50:49 AM  Show Profile
Jessica Cornett has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge!

"Myself along with farmgirls Miss Wilma, Jonni, and Janice gathered at the Burlington Antique Show to help Wilma with her antique booth, along with sharing stories, promote farmgirls, and learn more about each other. Our husbands also came along for the ride. Not only did we have a great time, but the booths beside us and around us gathered in the fun. We shared the latest MaryJanesFarm Magazine and our particular farming stories.

It was a pure success as we had over 10 in attendance just in our group and we extended our farmgirl gathering to the booths surrounding us. The MaryJanesFarm Magazine was passed around and we told the story how we all came to know each other. We plan on meeting each month as a Kentucky contingency."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  09:43:41 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Fleck has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge!

"I have 3 daughters and a traveling husband. I have been packing all four of their lunches and snacks and sending cut-up fruits and veggies instead of relying on prepackaged snacks. I have been trying to make fresh bread daily. When my husband is on the road, I have been packing homemade granola and PB sandwiches in his suitcase for snacks. My fridge has more cut-up fruit and veggies available and is more visually stimulating for the girls to grab as they get home from school. I have experimented with several types of homemade healthy dips for the fruits and veggies for those days you want "a little bit more." Cutting the fruits and veggies in different shapes and lengths has kept it interesting like shaking the fresh-cut fruit in a baggy with a little lime juice to keep it from browning. Sending the snacks and lunches in various containers is always a treat for the kids (I use a lot of Kerr jars, old babyfood jars, jelly jars, etc). We have been having fun preparing fresh fruit together as our dessert at dinner time. The presentation of the fresh veggies at dinner has been fun for myself and my volunteer dinner helper. Finding special plates we don't use as much and fun relish trays makes for a fun meal preparation and the family again is more apt to eat it if more visually stimulating.
[It turned out] GREAT! Aside from the pure gratification of providing healthy food for my family, the house smells wonderful from the fresh bread. My husband and all three girls notice the increase in energy and overall healthy feeling you get with eating right. It's a fun challenge arranging various fruits and vegetables to be visually stimulating for the girls so that those are the first thing that they want to grab for snack."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  10:00:35 AM  Show Profile
Christina Williamson has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I earned my merit badge by creating a sewing kit. I actually designed it myself. It is made up of 4 pieces of poster board that are covered with batting. Then I enclosed those in fabric so that the kit would be able to fold in half and then in half again. Once that was completed, I put in my straight pins, safety pins, buttons, needles, thread, and scissors. The way that I designed this allows for all of the pins to be stuck right in through fabric and batting. The buttons were lightly sewn and tied into place for safe keeping and I sewed a piece of matching ribbon onto one of the quarters so my scissors could be tied in securely. Once the kit was filled with my kit supplies, I folded it up and tied it shut with the ribbon ties.
I think it turned out way better than I expected. I am the type of girl that loves to 'play & create' with things and not follow patterns. I am a free spirit crafter. It took me a good portion of the day but it was so worth it. I have never owned a portable sewing kit and this gave me a great reason to put one together. A friend of mine saw it and already wants one of her own! Here is my picture of the kit's interior and then a small insert of the project when it is all closed up."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page