Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  12:49:56 PM  Show Profile
Autumn Day, (Autumn_Day, #3964) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"I looked up, wrote down, and used 14 new words over a two week period. I made an effort to properly spell out every word in emails and texts. I also thought about and used proper grammar.

I realized how many shortcuts I took when writing- never spelling out words, not capitalizing appropriately, using poor or no punctuation. It feels great to put in more effort. I sound better educated. I have also learned some terrific new words!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  10:08:04 AM  Show Profile
Lore Hill, (Brighteyes1028, #2740) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"To this day one of my prized possessions is a quilt my grandmother made me when I was a child. I used to love to sit and watch her cut and stitch meaningless pieces of scrap fabric and magically turn them into beautiful quilts. During those days she passed on her love of quilt making to me. To earn my badge I have made a quilt for my son's preschool teacher who recently had a baby girl.

I think the quilt turned out well. I am still perfecting my binding,but it has come a long way."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  10:12:15 AM  Show Profile
Lore Hill, (Brighteyes1028, #2740) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been collecting buttons for years. I love the look and feel of them. I keep a large glass jar on my craft table and frequently add them in my sewing and other crafting projects. For this badge I selected a handful of my favorites to show.

I loved looking through my button stash to start my official collection. I can't wait to dive deeper into collecting."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  10:16:02 AM  Show Profile
Trisha Sides, (Trisha, #3993) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I made a mini sampler afghan. It took me over 40 hours, mostly because of my carpal tunnel. I made several of the squares while visiting at a girlfriends house- not sure how many hours - but more than 5!

I think it's rather beautiful, although I obviously need to work on blocking! I think my gauge was off on several squares, but it seemed to pull together anyway."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  10:17:14 AM  Show Profile
Trisha Sides, (Trisha, #3993) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have 9 reusable shopping bags, including ones designated for the bookstore and the craftstore :)
I use them everywhere!

It's very nice to not have plastic bag clutter!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  11:09:50 AM  Show Profile
Mary Gariepy, (#2845) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"With the help of a friend and my MJF sister, I put together a sewing kit for keeping next to my chair. It is all in a large cookie tin.

I like my tin. It is next to my chair."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  11:14:16 AM  Show Profile
Mary Gariepy, (#2845) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I went home after a chapter meeting and cleaned my cabinets, making sure all my plastic containers had covers. The ones that did not have matches were sent to recycling.

I have more room for things to be put away."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  11:15:00 AM  Show Profile
Mary Gariepy, (#2845) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"As I went through my kitchen cleaning out, I made a list of things I did not have that I need or wanted in my kitchen. I also used MJF magazine and Lehmans catalog to build my list. I am trying to live in simpler times.

I have a list. When I meet with my MJF sisters we shared the list and I am thinking about which ones I need first and saving up for others."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  11:15:47 AM  Show Profile
Mary Gariepy, (#2845) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"Today at our hen house meeting I learned to sharpen my kitchen knives. We had planned this ahead of time so I brought all my knives and others brought sharpeners.

I now have safer sharp knifes and will need to look for a sharpener of my own."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  11:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Mary Gariepy, (#2845) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been collecting canvas bags all summer. I now have 10. I try to remember to only use them when I go shopping. Shopping with my MJF sister helps because she uses her bags all the time.

I now have a bag with my MJF notebook and journals that I use for meetings. I also carry one when I walk down town just in case."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  11:18:09 AM  Show Profile
Mary Gariepy, (#2845) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I took an empty canning jar and collected the buttons I had been hiding everywhere and put them in the jar. I had been collecting them from yard sales and swaps.

I have one full mason jar and have started a second."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  11:18:49 AM  Show Profile
Mary Gariepy, (#2845) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I learned how to crochet and made a small scarf. It is sage green. I then showed someone in my hen house how I did the stitches.

I am planning my next project. I think I will crochet something to cover me when I read in my chair in the winter."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  11:59:46 AM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell, (Quiltingbea #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I been keeping gratitude journal for 31 days. I also got the Book Of Awesome. I couldn't find it at the library. I had to order it online. Everyday I would write what I was grateful for and than read an entry from the book.

Keeping a journal for a month has helped me to be thankful for all the little things that we sometimes overlook in our busy everyday life. I will keep writing in my journal."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  12:13:38 PM  Show Profile
Julie Kram, (Julie May #3733) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"I researched all of the required terms, five of which I had never heard of. Keeping the concepts in mind, I set out to learn how to take an appropriate picture using a brand new camera my husband had gotten me for Christmas. I trudged around the yard, in the snow, and managed to capture 32 photographs I thought were acceptable.

I now understand how to frame a shot and feel a bit more confident taking pictures. I realize, however, that I have a LONG way to go and a LOT more to learn. I feel comfortable plugging along and not as frustrated. I wish I would have known some of this years ago. Below is my facebook page where the pictures can be viewed. "
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/set=a.315153688533665.70567.100001171104161&type=3&l=501e9350ff
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  12:15:06 PM  Show Profile
Cari Alley, (IslandBettie #3041) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"Last year I started putting my dreams into reality. I have always wanted to live on a farm and be a more responsible consumer. I moved to my husband's island 5 years ago. We have no store! To get groceries it's a labor... and it is not of love! Ha ha. I talked to my husband about starting with a flock of chickens. He was all for it. He was raised off home grown veggies and goat's milk... plus he is a fisherman so he has the bounty of the sea to feed him. We bought our layers and have not looked back! Last winter an owl got into my pen and killed all but 6 of my hens. In a few days I will receive my new "Homesteaders package" for a hatchery. I am more than exited! I try very hard to feed our layers veggies, scraps and let them be free range, but I do also give them some layer pellets.

I live my ladies! They provide my family of 5 food and education! I love that my children know where their eggs come from and they can tell the difference."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  12:48:32 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Greatest Generation badge.

"The relationships with my mother-in-law and another elderly friend continue and are maintained by my involvement in visiting, correspondence, providing services, needs as previously described in the other Greatest Generation badge applications.

My involvement is consistent and regular and will remain so as much as is possible and/or necessary.

I've shared a bit about these two ladies with our Farmgirls Southwest Henhouse Chapter. Thread in Project Discussions titled "Our "Senior" Friends"

It is such a pleasure to be involved in the lives of our "senior" friends. It is satisfying to be able to provide assistance but the companionship is just priceless."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  12:49:28 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"Because of where we live we see many of the birds of Colorado. After researching our birds I found a really long list. There are many who are breeding birds that come here to raise their young and then migrate. There are also others who migrate here to escape much colder climes.

Most of the birds I really want to see I have seen or am able to see on a fairly regular basis.
I would love to see more of our state bird, the Lark Bunting

My "wish list" is to just enjoy any and all birds that come visiting. I even find the vultures that sit in the top of the big cottonwood trees on our place to be fascinating."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  12:50:48 PM  Show Profile
Paula Harris, (PaulaRae #3488) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"For the March meeting of our local chapter (Georgia Farmgirls), our topic was "Farmgirl Spirit." We each dressed as our idea of what a farmgirl would look like, and brought goodies to share. For the "Show and Tell" portion of the meeting, members shared their recollections of farm experiences, some stories going back to our grandparents. Folks brought pictures and books, and I brought my vintage apron collection. I gave each member present an apron, and took a picture of them. Here's a picture of one of the members with her handmade apron.

Everyone was happy with their aprons, and we enjoyed a good time of fun and fellowship."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  12:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Paula Harris, (PaulaRae #3488) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"One of our neighbors lost his home and had to be out by October 25, 2011. Several people (including fellow Farmgirl Barbara Roberts and myself) volunteered to help pack his belongings and move him into a neighbor's basement. We hung cabinets for his food and toiletries, unpacked most of his boxes, arranged his furniture, and created a closet area for him in his new location.

I cooked meals for the volunteers' lunch for three days, and either took the food to where they were working or they came to my home and ate.

I also labeled and packed his computer equipment, and spent two days after the move setting up both his and his secretary's computer systems. His system and peripheral equipment had to be reconfigured to wireless, and all new connections set up.

Our neighbor was settled into a new living space, and was able to continue operating his painting business from the new location."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  12:53:35 PM  Show Profile
Jo Ann Mitchell, (joiannm #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Civic Heritage badge.

"I visited a fun museum in the city I grew up in. I went to the San Jose Quilt Museum. http://www.sjquiltmuseum.org/ . It is small and has textile exhibitions other than quilts, but I went for the quilts. Quilts give me a window into the past.

The quilts were fabulous. The museum is small so the quilts are wall mounted. I was able to get within inches of the quilt surfaces. I could see the tiny stitches and imagine the many hours it must have taken to create it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  12:54:56 PM  Show Profile
Jo Ann Mitchell, (joiannm #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have created and maintained a compost heap and a worm farm for over a year. I read “Worms Eat My Garbage” by Mary Appelhof, and used the information to know what to do for my worms.

Just this last weekend I used soil from the bottom of my original compost pile. I used the worm castings to improve the soil for this year's planting also. Family members know to ask me if my worms or compost would like a bite before they toss their leftovers."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  11:21:45 AM  Show Profile
Angela Landis, (Queen Bee Angela #3745) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I had crocheted quite a bit when I was younger, but hadn't picked it up in years. I got started again with a quick crochet washcloth. Then, I taught my friend's 7 yr old daughter Lucy how to crochet.

I was surprised how quickly my stitches and rhythm came back to me. Lucy was a doll, and took to crochet quickly. I had extra cotton, so I made a washcloth for Lucy's mom, too!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  11:24:01 AM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson, (Miss kitty #3760) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"This year our organic garden will include squash, zucchini, bush beans, three types of lettuce, two types of tomato, carrots, potatoes, kale, and strawberries. This is the second year of planting and growing without chemical fertilizers or pesticides. I have invested in two resources that are invaluable to me in our mission to remain chemical-free: Rodale's Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening and Rodale's Guide to Organic Pest Control and Disease Management. They are both excellent!!
Last week I finished reading Nancy Goodwin's "Montrose: Life In A Garden". I wasn't very much into it at first, but found myself looking forward to picking it up before long. She has such a passion for her garden that it's contagious! I found myself wanting to go outside and weed every time I read from her book. It will definitely find a place in my home library. :)

I am more excited than ever to begin transplanting my seedlings into the garden in a few weeks, and feel better armed this year to fight those pests organically. As for the book, I thoroughly enjoyed it... and probably will pull it out and enjoy it again one day."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  11:25:41 AM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson, (Miss kitty #3760) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I posted my thoughts on the Farmgirl forum regarding my experience with both shopping with reusable shopping bags and using non-toxic cleaners at home. I also shared my "Green Cleaning Kit" list.

I am eagerly awaiting some responses to my post and can't wait to make a swap with someone!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  11:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Mary Duffel, (Madelena #3153) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Know Your Roots badge.

"After finding my biological family after I decided that it was time to meet at last. We tried to organize a full family reunion in the city of our birth in Ohio, but due to health issues "Pops" was not going to be able to travel. So, I decided to fly out to meet the family.
They were scattered between several states, so coordinating everything was a challenge.
I flew into Ohio and met my sister Rose and her husband, 4 of her 5 children and several of her grandchildren, and assorted dogs and cats.
Then I flew to Wisconsin and was able to meet two sisters, Colleen and Mary Jo, and Pops.
My sister Kathy from Indiana was not able to attend due to job constraints.
It was the visit of a lifetime!

The family was wonderful. They all had known about me since high school and had searched for me, placing adds in national magazines, newspapers, etc. They had all met by the time they were in their early 20's. I was still the lost sheep.
We talked and talked - you can imagine - visited the grave site of our mother and grandparents, and two brothers who died at birth.
The sisters each had the local news report come out and do an article on our reunion. So cool!
Lots of hugs, lots of tears, and lots of love.. it turned out very well, indeed."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page