Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  3:11:50 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Quilling badge.

"I moved my skills to a bit more style design, multiple flowers, with a bud and several leaves. The hardest part I found was getting all the teardrop designs the right size. Hence why there is two flowers. I turned my mistake into a beautiful thing.

This card came out lovely. My dear mother is sick and I will send her my quilled flowers in hopes that it will make her feel better."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  4:28:47 PM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson, (Misskitty #3760) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"To earn this badge, I researched the health differences between raw and processed honey and discovered that there are many more than I had thought! In addition to the quality and taste difference, raw honey contains phytonutrients that help fight cancer. The heating and pasteurization that processed honey goes through causes these phytonutrients to be broken down and lost. Raw honey is also easier to digest than processed due to the presence of the enzyme amylase.
I also located a local honey vendor named Joe, who said he'd be happy to let me come over and help him harvest honey sometime! Reading the book "Bees: Nature's Little Wonders" was fun and interesting, I enjoyed it and learned a lot from it.

I enjoyed the reading and research, and I am definitely looking forward to honey-harvesting!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  4:30:21 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I have been in a herb club since 2008. Once a month we get together to discuss planting, pruning, harvesting, storing, and different uses. This year the herb of the year is roses and we will talk about the pruning of roses. I already have my seedlings started for this year. Last Christmas we exchanged homemade gifts. I made each lady a bag of your Mexican blend. A friend had loaned me your book, I didn't even know about the farmgirl sisterhood yet.

I did receive some feed back. The ladies that had tried it, enjoyed it. I know I had a couple bags left over and I used them in chili and as a taco seasoning. It was a quick and easy gift to make."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  4:31:09 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"MaryJane's recipe for canning apple pie filling is very simular to the one I use. I grew up canning. As the oldest granddaughter I was even sent to help both of my grandmothers can. One of my grandmothers canned on a fire outside, kept the house cool. I have canned tomato juice, spaghetti sauce, stewed tomato, corn, greenbeans, pickles, salsas, apples and pears.

Everything has always been used up. It does save expense at the grocery store. I hate to see the things in gardens go to waste."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  4:32:07 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Recipes badge.

"For a senior project about our family history, my daughter had to do a presentation on family traditions. In my family some of our best traditions are in the kitchen. I contacted my aunts from my grandmother who had passed and asked them for copies of her recipes I could remember as a child. My mother had the recipes from her family and a lot of the recipes I already had. What was truly the best is that I received recipes in each of my grandmother's own hand writing.

A little part of history was shared with my daughter. Doesn't get much better than that."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  1:03:08 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"I did contact our local extension office. I grew up in Indiana and now live in PA. Climate is a little colder here, still a lot of the same plants grow in this area. I have added a few new plants to my list. I did attend a class on dandelions. It was great.

The class I attended was given at the herb club that I am a member of. It was very informative. It gave me permission to keep the dandelions in my yard. I am sure my neighbors with their lawns attended by lawn services do not appreciate."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  1:03:40 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Forage for Food badge.

"I grew up in the country and started at a young age using the native plants. I still hunt for mushrooms in the spring, pick berries in the summer, and gather nuts in the fall. Since becoming an adult I have added a few things. I have used mint and dandelions for tea, and even made dandelion wine. I still make jellies and use the nuts in my Christmas baking.

Some years are better than others. Harvests are different. Nothing beats warm toast with home made jelly on it, no matter what."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  1:04:40 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"Last Christmas, I made scrapbooks for a couple of close friends. I made homemade jelly and baked bread for neighbors and the people on our church board.

I received nice compliments on both gift ideas. I know I appreciate the thoughtfulness of a homemade gift."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  1:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Guerrero, (etguerrero #3709) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"Ever since I was little, I've always dreamed of opening my own craft shop. When I found out about Etsy a couple years ago, I thought it would be perfect for me, but I felt like I should wait to start until I had everything perfect ready to go. Finally after my wedding in the summer of 2011, I realized that there's no better time than the present, and I launched my wedding shop "kiss me awake."

Wonderful! Business is slow but steady, and it's so fulfilling to manage my own little shop. I've made 88 sales online so far, and have sold at two local craft shows. The picture shows me at my very first craft show where I was listed by my business name rather than Elizabeth. So exciting!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  3:25:43 PM  Show Profile
Mandi Wright, (#3643) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I've always found quilting to be intimidating, but my best friend and I decided to take on this new project together! We made a small doll quilt (about 15" X 17").

It turned out so cute! It has embroidery at the top, rick-rack around the edges, and 2" calico sqares on the bottom. We had a great time working on these together!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  3:26:53 PM  Show Profile
Mandi Wright, (#3643) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Over the years I've not only collected six reusable shopping bags, but more like 20! I have them comming out of my ears to the point that I'm giving them away to friends who don't have them! I also use reusable produce bags, which I love!

I've been using these for the past 4 years or so, and haven't looked back!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  3:27:44 PM  Show Profile
Mandi Wright, (#3643) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"After the birth of my now 5 year old daughter, I began looking at ways that I could clean our home safely and also save money. White vinegar and baking soda have been my main staples, along with essential oils.

It's been fabulous - my husband (who was in the beginning a skeptic) was quite suprised at how well these simple products work. Now my 5 year old AND my 2 year old ENJOY helping me clean - and I don't have to worry about harmful chemicals in the home!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  3:28:54 PM  Show Profile
Mandi Wright, (#3643) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"Each year our garden grows bigger and bigger. Last year and again this year, we've chosen to use trellises and bean tee-pee's to help save space.

Both the bean tee-pee and the trellises were very easy to put together and use. I used some branches from a tree that recently had to be cut down and wrapped them w/ twine that I had on hand. The tellises were made from some leftover rebar and cattle fencing that we also had on hand."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  3:29:46 PM  Show Profile
Mandi Wright, (#3643) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"A couple years ago we began raising chickens. We researched and found a local poultry farm that raises their chickens all natural and took our children to visit and to purchase our chickens. Since we live an organic lifestyle, we found a local menonite feed mill to purchase our feed from.

It was so much fun - not to mention addicting! This poultry farm had every kind of breed imaginable and we wanted them all! We currently have 12 chickens that we love and adore. We've been consistently purchasing our feed from our amazing (now friend) Menonite feed mill. We have more eggs than we personally can deal with, so we enjoy giving them to friends, family or donation :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  10:38:00 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Witko, (Annielaurel #2301) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It Pretty badge.

"I drew and colored a picture of one of our local birds, a spoonbill flamingo. I used colored pencils after sketching the picture onto a heavy drawing paper.

I like the way it came out. The bird has such an unusual bill. I have framed the picture and it is hanging in my living room."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  10:45:08 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Organic on a Budget badge.

"I have helped teach more than two families about switching over to organic foods.

My husband and I both have been sharing our organic recipes with several couples, and women, that work out at the same gym as us. I've also delivered some of my homemade jellies, muffins, and breads. I continue to share with others about raising our own meat chickens, and why we do. I also continue to give others starters for their own organic herb garden."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  10:46:57 AM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"This past week we had a power problem. We had no electricity. My family was a little concerned. It worked out great. We played cards, read books. Everyone in my family loves to read. We wrote letters. It turned out to be alot of fun. My kids learned we can do without electricity at home. We have camped without power, but never at home.

I was amazed at the difference in the sound level. The house was much quieter without the TVs, music, phone ringing,etc."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  10:48:15 AM  Show Profile
Amy Farmer, (AmyD #3695) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I started out my backyard farm with 6 hens from my farmgirl sister Evelyn. They have done very well! Two months ago my children and I purchased 5 baby chicks and 2 baby ducks. They are growing big!

It has been an experience that I love!! We get fresh eggs everyday! My family loves them! It is also very fullfilling to give a dozen eggs to friends that come by."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  10:54:19 AM  Show Profile
Katie Kelsch, (#4066) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"First I read The Secret Life of Bees. I then watched the trailer for the movie Vanishing Bees. I then began researching what it take to have a bee garden. Luckily the university in our town has a bee research facility, with a garden. I have planted some veggies and herbs for the bee, and left some unmowed grass, safely away from the dogs, for the little ground bees to hide in.

Pictured is the library book with some volunteer bee balm. The book was wonderful. I am now completely fasinated, and have developed a mild obsession with bees. Though it will take moving out of the city to earn the expert level in this badge, as beekeeping is not allowed within city limits, I have already started making aquaintances who keep their bees. As a nurse I am amazed at the healing powers of honey. One of my favorite facts that I learned is that honey is an antiseptic, and if you are burned or injured while camping with out neosporin, honey will be a more than suitable replacement."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  10:55:29 AM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge.

"I checked all faucets in and out of house. I got online and found 100 ways to conserve water. Some of the things we already do or don't do. I did get some new ideas. I talked to my kids about shortening their showers.

I plan on seeing a big savings on my water bill. I also contacted local fire department and when I refill our pool this year, I will use the water the department gets when they flush their lines."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  12:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Corley, (Valkyrie922 #4069) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"The first thing I did was start a "Thrifty, Nifty & Green Journal," with the information I gathered while researching green cleaners for the Green Shopping Badge. I have been adding to it since then, and I've referred to it several times to find the best cleaner for some dirty thing...

The second thing I did was to Write a mission statement for running my household:

"We will live simply. For through simplicity we may reach fullness.

We will respect the Earth, for She is our Mother.

We will respect our bodies, for they are our tool and our temple.

We will consider future generations, to whom we are indebted:
We will learn that we may teach them,
We will model the behaviors we desire in them,
We will build that we may protect them,
We will grow that we may feed them,
We will laugh and sing that we may inspire them."

- It doesn't *specifically* say that I am going to use only green cleaners, but I finally cleaned out from under my sink today! My cleaners now are Vinegar, Baking Soda, Washing Soda, Borax, Cornstarch, Lemon Juice, and Dawn.

I am really surprised at how well the baking soda and vinegar work as fabric softeners! And as all-purpose cleaners -- I got stains out of my bathtub that I have been working at for more than a year!! AND today while I was cleaning out the kitchen, some vinegar splashed up into my eye -- sure it stung, barely! And only for like half a second. That's the harshest thing I've got for cleaning now!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  12:40:25 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Corley, (Valkyrie922 #4069) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"Today I got about half-way through spring-cleaning my kitchen, I sorted through everything I had in there, including food and sorted it either as keep, recycle, donate, or toss.

I feel good knowing that I'm cutting down on clutter, but I'll feel even better tomorrow when I get the cabinets cleaned and everything put back where it goes!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  12:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Corley, (Valkyrie922 #4069) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I was out of practice at straight stitching, so I pulled out a project I started a while ago (before the The Move) and got a little bit of time in with the straight stitch by hand. Then I had to hem a few pairs of pants for my fiance, so I got out my machine. I followed a really cool tutorial that showed how to hem jeans without losing the original hem.

Then on Monday I made my half-apron for the Aprons Badge, and I used a flat seam. I also learned how to do a french seam and I will be using that for kitchen curtains project tomorrow or the next day.

Well, Mike seems to be happy with the results! I can't wait to get some curtains up in my kitchen, and I'm looking forward to several more sewing projects."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  12:44:26 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (Houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Water Conservation badge.

"I researched grey water and learned how to build a rain barrel.

Because I rent right now, there is not a lot I can do as far as grey water goes, but I do the little I can. The plans for the house we are going to build include huge amounts of grey water reuse. I also built 2 rainwater barrels for my garden and potted plants."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  12:46:13 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (Houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I made a trellis out of scrap wood and a few bean teepees.

When I moved in to my house, there was an old handicap ramp that we took down. I used most of the wood to build some things including my grape trellis. The bean teepees are harder to hook up than they look!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page