Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  12:44:20 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (Grammytammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Rocks and Minerals badge.

"Did some internet searching on www.rocksandminerals4u.com. I did remember 2 of the three types of rocks from on earlier time in life. Also looked at www.natural-history.uoregon site for uses. No big surprises there.

I enjoyed refreshing my mind."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  12:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Smith, (minismith #1991) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I am so glad to have read Gardening With Heirlooms! It was both entertaining and practical! I have planted good old Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter as my main "crop" tomato this year (I'm only planting 6 varieties). I cannot wait to see how they turn out!

While the Mortgage Lifter germination rate was poor--less than 50%--the plants have been vigorous and have recovered nicely from a slight case of sun-scald. I'm hoping for a bumper crop!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  12:47:19 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Smith, (minismith #1991) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"Beginning last year, I saved seeds from my heirloom Peter Pepper, Mammoth Sunflower, and Heavenly Blue Morning Glory. This year, I have selected heirloom tomato and pepper varieties for my kitchen (and, hopefully, market) garden. The pepper varieties I'm growing are Marconi Rosso, Jimmy Nardello, Chinese Giant, Tennessee Cheese, and Tabasco. The heirloom tomato varieties I'm growing are Cherokee Purple, Black Truffle, Creole, Florida Pink, Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter, and Italian Tree Tomato.

So far, things are going well. The germination rates for the peppers and tomatoes were okay, with the exception of Mortgage Lifter. All of the tomatoes and the sweet peppers have survived a week in the ground at near-record temperatures, but with heavy irrigation. I selected this year's varieties with the heat and humidity in mind since the nights were so warm last year. I'm looking forward to a bountiful harvest!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  12:49:03 PM  Show Profile
Debra Baker, (DebiB #4135) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been saving buttons for years, a few interesting ones I have seen, as well as cutting them off of completely worn out clothes. This badge promted me to pay attention, and so when I saw some at the thrift store, I bought some more to add to it.

They look good in the jar and are fun to pour out and look at."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  12:50:56 PM  Show Profile
Sara Baker, (Farmerette of Debra Baker #4135) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I collected these buttons mostly from thrift stores. I selected the ones I thought would be useful as well as ones I thought were cute for craft projects.

I think that this turned out pretty well and now I will be well equipped if a button ever falls off my clothes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  12:52:16 PM  Show Profile
Sara Baker, (Farmerette of Debra Baker #4135) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We have a large flock of chickens with a broody hen about to hatch more. We feed them all organic sprouted whole grains, in addition to letting them roam the yard when there aren't too many new seedlings they would want to dig up.

So far its great they are really funny to watch and if they know you have something good they will tell you all about it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  12:53:29 PM  Show Profile
Debra Baker, (DebiB #4135) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have a flock of chickens that we are using for eggs, I feed a homemade organic feed consisting of sprouted organic wheat and organic flax seeds as well as lots of garden waste.

Well, I think the eggs are a bit smaller since the feed switch, but the yolks are very dark orange and I realy like always having fresh eggs."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  12:55:11 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit, (JessieMae #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"Two years ago, our town closed its 50 year-old public swimming pool because of its poor condition, low attendance, and expense to update and operate a seasonal swimming pool in a Northern climate. Since then, the high school has opened its doors to city residents for open swim and summer swimming lessons. While this is a nice feature, it is one more reason our children stay inside all summer long, out of the sunshine and fresh air. Last year, a citizens group was formed with the purpose of building a water spray park to replace the pool. The cost of the spray park is approximately $450,000. The City of Saint Johns Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for this project.

I learned a lot researching this issue. I had thought it was based on a contest our town entered hosted by Readers Digest magazine for the best small town in America (Saint Johns won the Municipal Runner-Up prize of $10,000). I did not realize it was actually a Parks Department project and partially funded by a Michigan Department of Natural Resources Trust Fund grant."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  12:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Blogging badge.

"I had started what I was calling the “advertising” blog and I was not happy with it. I actually had several blogs and decided that I would no longer do so many and combine them into one. It has information on my sewing adventures, bits of religious things, prepping for the apocalypse, learning new skills, and cooking things. After reading "Blogging for Bliss" I really thought this was the best for me. The book had so many wonderful examples of established blogs.

The plan is coming together and turning out nicely, I cannot wait to get started on my new blog which I feel so much more connected to, than any other blog before it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  12:57:23 PM  Show Profile
Anita Kammerdiener, (#4035) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"My family and I go camping every summer. So we have always had a survival kit with us when we go hiking.
I do enjoy trying to make new trail mixes for our hikes, we dont all like them, but we try them.
In Girl Scout Camp last year, we learned about many types of plants and flowers that the pioneers used for food and medicine. It was very interesting. And some seemed very weird.

We always have safe hiking trips, and we know what plants to avoid."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  12:58:06 PM  Show Profile
Anita Kammerdiener, (#4035) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level 'Out There' Women badge.

"We always make trail mix when we go hiking, it is a good source of energy.
When we camp we try new things to cook over the fire. That is our only way to cook.

Always have a great time."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  12:59:47 PM  Show Profile
Anita Kammerdiener, (#4035) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"In January I joined Weight Watchers.
Since them I have gone down 4 pants sizes and 2 top sizes. By watching what I eat and walking.

I have more energy, I am sleeping better at night. I feel great."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  1:00:42 PM  Show Profile
Anita Kammerdiener, (#4035) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I learned how to sew when I had my daughter, in 1993. I enjoy sewing clothes for her, and flannel shirts for my husband. I have made curtains for our bedrooms, hemmed clothes for people I work with. My favorite project was my daughters First Holy Communion dress when she was younger. My family was very surprised.

It is a joy to see what I have created. I am planning on making a quilt for the back of the couch."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  1:02:41 PM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"To learn how to sharpen my kitchen knives, I googled it and found some very helpful Youtube videos. Call me clueless, but I never knew how to use that tubular steel sharpener that came with my knife set.
I also learned that the serrated steak knives that came with my knife set aren't supposed to be used for cutting everything else under the sun besides steak. Also, being a low-end set that you can't use the knife sharpener on, they aren't really worth sending out to have professionally sharpened.

So, I will store the steak knives elsewhere and save them for steak and use the knives that I should have been using, and that I can sharpen and teach my kids to do the same."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:33:17 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Taylor, (leilaht #1932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I bought 8 chicks on good Friday this year, 3 Barred Rock, 3 Isa Brown, a bantam Golden Sebright, and a bantam White Silkie.

They free range some and I give them worms and greens. All organic because we don't use anything on our lawn or garden beds.

We kept them in a wooden shipping crate in the garage until they got their feathers. Then we built a portable coop for them.
I have 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Isa Brown, and the bantam Golden Sebright left. Something got into the coop the other night. We had to modify it, but no one has been in since.
The Sebright turned out to be a rooster. I have really enjoyed listening to him learn to crow."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:37:43 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Taylor, (leilaht #1932) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Blogging badge.

"I read "Blogging for Bliss".

I have had a blog for a while, but hadn't posted. I mostly post about sewing and gardening.

I was not very impressed with the book. Mostly fluff and not much real help."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:38:39 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Taylor, (leilaht #1932) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Blogging badge.

"I started a blog. It is called Odds and Ends (Mostly Odd).

I've been posting for quite a while, but hadn't in months. I started posting regular posts last month. I updated today.

I emailed my request to be added to GirlGab today too.

I have one follower already."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:40:03 PM  Show Profile
Connie Herron, (Littlegirl54 #4152) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have crocheted four market bags from sugar and cream cotton, and one from "plarn". Plarn is yarn made from recycling the plastic bags from the grocery store. I cut each into strips and then connected the strips and spun them on my spinning wheel. Then I crocheted a market bag with fat round handles. This bag holds aprox. 20 lbs of fresh apples comfortably. I also have been collecting the market bags from different places, like Bank of America's pink ribbon bags (I have 9 of them). I am committed to using these bags and have been encouraging other family members to take them along to the store as well. Sometimes they forget, but that just gives me more material for plarn.

Even though I started this before becoming a sister, I am committed to making a new market bag at least every other month. So it is ongoing and will be ongoing for at least the 2012 year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:43:10 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Vece, (musicmommy #3735) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Although I've used reusable grocery bags for a few years, I've always just had the cheap ones from the stores around here that I didn't really care for. A few weeks ago, Envirosax had a special on Groupon and I jumped on it immediately. Got my set of 6 bags! Which I will definitely be using regularly.

So far, so good. The bags are folded up and stored in their own coordinating pocket which I keep in my purse. Before, I would often forget to grab the bags when I went to the store. Now I have them with me all the time, quick and easy to use. (Plus, they are some really cool patterns so I love using them!)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:44:22 PM  Show Profile
Joan Nordquist, (Simple Living #3842) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"I started introducing my DD and her DH to organic fruit first. Then organic veggies. The reason they objected in the beginning was the cost of Organic foods.

They do love the idea of natural/organic food. So I found a market in their neighborhood where they sold organic food/fruits at a more reasonable price. They are happy campers now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:45:40 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (denisemgm #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Public Service badge.

"I've attended several School Board meetings, and I will continue to do so as my local school board is divided on many issues.

Today I voted as my governor has people who want to recall him, and I've been following what each side says about the other, but more so, following the actions of each man running. It's been a long, involved process...

Today's vote is my fifth voting experience since joining MJ sisterhood.

Politics can be draining and emotional. It's best to only get involved in those things that one is absolutely passionate about.

Voting, however, is important. I have always voted for major elections, but smaller, local elections can be just as important as I'm learning regarding my school board."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:46:34 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (denisemgm #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I keep a gratitude journal. I started on January 1, 2012 and am still going.

I also got an e-copy of the Book of Awesome and read it.

LOVE the gratitude journal idea. I love that I can search for something good even on a bad day. I also love that I can write a line or two and it serves like a mini-diary.

The Book of Awesome is okay. It's also available on a daily basis online - which is very nice."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:47:41 PM  Show Profile
Lindsay Burden, (HomespunSprout #4163) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I already had a sewing kit, but I went through and tidied it up a bit. I got rid of almost-empty thread spools, and dull pins and needles. It's now neat andd organized and ready for the net project.

Wonderful! I'm ready to sew!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:48:31 PM  Show Profile
Lindsay Burden, (HomespunSprout #4163) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I crafted some hand-stitched felt cookies for my daughter's 3rd birthday gift. They are made entirely of felt and completely hand stitched. I learned how to do a blanket stitch to complete this project.

They look REAL! I can't wait to give them to her for her birthday!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Rocks and Minerals badge.

"Last year, we were given free rock samples during a visit to a local "Historical Days" event.

We used the samples to study types of rocks and minerals. We collected, and identified slate, limestone, and quartz. My father gave me coal that my grandparents used to heat with. We used an on-line printable article (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/10/pdf/GeoFacts/geof11.pdf) to help research rocks and minerals in our state. I also have a book we use to study minerals as well."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page