Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  12:00:42 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller, (birdie71 #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"Since I have been living in the Phoenix area (20+ years), I have discovered that I have springtime allergies. Some years different than others because of where I am living at that time. The past eight years I was forced into discovering what local raw honey would do for my allergies. (I will always choose natural remedies before I can't take it anymore) I have discovered that the local raw honey has been just what I need to get through the springtime allergies because of the local pollen. It has been the first choice for calming a cough. I always use it as my sweetener on oatmeal and my "syrup" on my pancakes and waffles!
I have found a farm not too far away that I can pick up honey from. I also am able to find the local honey in our natural foods stores.
I finally finished Bees: Nature's Little Wonders. What I found most fascinating was the studies done on how the bees communicate and how they know what to do. It surely took them men quite a bit of time and patience to watch the bees and observe what they did to communicate and get jobs done. I also got a better understanding of the hierarchy of the bees. I didn't realize that it was just female bees that were the worker bees and within that it seems that the worker bees "move up" in jobs based on something like seniority. I also learned more about different types of bees which I didn't realize there were so many different types. Stingless bees? I didn't know that. I also understand swarms better. I have seen the tendency in the city that if a swarm is spotted people freak out (which is certainly and most likely due to a lack of understanding) and then quickly call the pest control company for removal. The swarms have purpose and if more people understood them they would probably understand they're not "out to get us"!

Bees are misunderstood. They are rather fascinating and perhaps a good example of how a community should work together...for the greater good!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  12:01:52 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller, (birdie71 #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Horse Dreams badge.

"I am of Scottish decent and decided to research the Highland Ponies of Scotland. The Highland Ponies go back as far as the 1880s. They were the universal workhorse in the highlands and islands of Scotland, as well as some along the borders. During the 18th and 19th centuries, subtypes of the Highland Pony arose. These subtypes include Islay, Rhum, Mull, Barra, and Eriskay. Highland Ponies ponies stand in ranges close to 14 hands high. They are used mostly for trekking, agrigulture, driving, and endurance riding. Highland Ponies are noted for excellent bone sturcture and an even tempermant.
I read Joe Camp's The Soul of a Horse and checked out the website. What stuck out to me was the raw nature he observed in the herd: how they were able to move without shoes, endured weather that people have thought they couldn't endure, and how they relate or pick people.

I appreciated learning about a new breed of horse that I didn't know much about.
After reading The Soul of a Horse, I want to tell people let their horses to go without shoes, stop making them wear blankets, let them have a BIGGER place to run about (with rocks), and stop forcing upon them.
I have LOVED horses for as long as I can I can remember. First horseback picture when I was three! I think horses are magnificent creatures...grace and incredible strength! I was quite emotional involved in reading the book...it was hard to put down!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  12:04:25 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller, (birdie71 #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"I researched the birds that are native to the Phoenix area. I found a list but some of the birds on it are common here at certain times of the year and aren't necessarily "native". However, I researched those that were found to be native. Sure enough, I have seen most of the birds at some point in my backyard. One of which, the Curved Bill Thrasher, loves to "thrash" our garden! I see the Anna's Hummingbirds every morning coming in for the meals, which I make sure to keep up with! The Northern Mockingbirds likes to dive bomb our tabby cat Tiger! Mornings around here are quite musical and entertaining with these native birds! I see the House Sparrow mostly when I am at work and they are flying around cleaning up the crumbs that the students have dropped.
I have made a list of the native birds. I have noted those I know I have seen and then have noted the birds to be looking for that I am not sure I have seen.

I was excited to see this badge added to the list. I have always enjoyed watching birds. Of course, the birds I see here in the Phoenix area are different than the ones that I watched growing up in Southwest Colorado. I am excited to look for those that I'm not sure that I've seen and to learn more about those and the ones that I see regularly!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Becky Johnson, (BeckyBoop #4159) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I cleaned out the cupboard above my stove with all of my storage containers. All of my containers now have matching lids and the lids/containers with pieces missing have been recycled.

It feel SO GOOD! No more containers without a lid and vice versa. I won't be wasting any more time looking for pieces that I no longer have. Plus, it just looks prettier!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:31:32 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I have a raised bed garden with tomatoes, peas, carrots, one sweet pepper plant and one tomatillo. I planted two varieties of nasturtiums, some marigolds, and hollyhocks.

So far I have used no pesticide or fertilizer. I have access to composted manure if I need to fertilize. I planted the marigolds as a pesticide.

I read, "Montrose: Life in a Garden".

So far all the vegetables are growing nicely. Not all of the marigolds came up and I just planted the hollyhocks.

I did not enjoy the book. But the drawings were wonderful.

This is, obviously, an on-going project--at least until harvest!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:32:21 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I read the book, "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds".

My goal was to have all heirloom plants in my garden.

I thought there would be more of a selection of heirloom seeds. There are lots of organic seeds but not all the packages specified heirloom. So my carrots are heirloom, as are the tomatoes and the hollyhocks. Since this is my first garden there was nothing to be replaced and most of the plants are heirloom."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:33:52 PM  Show Profile
Julia Riach, (#4210) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"My aunt taught me how to crochet when I was 10, but I haven't made anything since then. I got a kit to learn how to crochet and made a scarf. I taught a friend to crochet. She is making a scarf.

It turned out ok. I made a few mistakes at the beginning but it looks pretty good."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Julia Riach, (#4210) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been collecting buttons.

I have 83 buttons so far."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:36:09 PM  Show Profile
Julia Riach, (#4210) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Cross-Stitch badge.

"I learned about different fabrics used for cross stitch, like Aida, Jobelan, and linen. I learned how to determine stitches per inch using the thread count of the fabric. I made a wedding announcement for a friend who is getting married.

It turned out great. I am going to frame it and give it to them at their wedding."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:37:13 PM  Show Profile
Julia Riach, (#4210) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I can sew straight seams by machine and by hand. I researched different types of seams and learned to sew each one.

It turned out fine. I have used some of these seams in projects."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:38:54 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader, (#4109) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"I earned my badge by going through my house which has a lot of doors and oiled those which needed it. My granddaughter came by for grampa to air up her tire so I squirted some oil on her chain which was beginning to show some rust. As winter sets in I clean and oil my garden tools.

Now all my doors are quiet, wish I could say the same for my floors."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:39:46 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader, (#4109) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Little Squirts badge.

"I earned my badge by sanding the edge and bottom of the stairway door which has never shut the way it should. My house is an old farm house with many needs. We have never locked our front door but I decided it was time so installed a new dead bolt.

Dead bolt works great, now if I can keep track of the key."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:41:01 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader, (#4109) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner and intermediate level Greatest Generation badge.

"I would like this to be my beginner and intermediate badges. I earned my badge by spending time with my mother. She has lived next door to me since 2006. We do so many things together. We sit on the patio and just talk and admiring her flowers. We go to auctions, yard sales, grocery shopping and summer road trips. I take her to doctor appointments. I made up a picture album for each of our road trips and each year we go back and look at those pictures.She comes to all my get togethers with my children and grandchildren, where there is always lots of food.

My mother is 80 years old and all this time will be remembered for years to come."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I was cleaning out my mother-in-laws home when I came across 3 small skeins of angora yarn. It is very old. Marked Sears $.99. I just knew i had to make something out of it even though I would be unable to wash it and there was not enough for a big project. I decided to make a doll blanket for my granddaughter who is fast outgrowing her dolls. I used a single crochet to create to 28x32 inch blanket.

It turned out about as good as I thought it would. I am still having trouble keeping my edges straight, but didn't want to keep ripping it apart as the yarn is pretty delicate. Not my best work, but my granddaughter is loving it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:44:11 PM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I started my compost pile in September last year using garden debris, food scraps and newspaper. I finished reading Amy Stewart's "The Earth Moved" in January. The book was so-so, I was Darwin'ed out by the end of it.

Well, I didn't see much really happening with the compost pile and I lost interest in it, thinking I'd save and start a worm bin when I could. But I was desperate for some dirt for my garden last week and decided to take a peek in the compost bin and lo and behold there was some nice looking dirt in there! So we're back on the compost wagon, crushing up my egg shells a little finer so they decompose faster."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:45:29 PM  Show Profile
Julia Riach, (#4210) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We started a backyard chicken flock. We now have 3 ducks, 14 hens, and 1 that is probably a rooster. We have been feeding them organic feed as much as possible and kitchen scraps.

They are not laying yet but we are hoping to have enough eggs to feed our family and some close friends."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  12:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Mary Whatley, (Flowerfairy136 #4195) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Wal-mart had re-useable shopping bags on sale for 12 cents each and I bought about 13 for around $1.50.

I keep them in my car and I try to use them whenever I can. I also use them to tote things like my craft projects and supplies."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  12:37:42 PM  Show Profile
Julia Riach, (#4210) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I made shopping bags that I use for grocery shopping. So far I have 12 that I use for shopping, and a few more that I use to keep projects in. I also made some for family members.

They work great, they even fit on the bag holder they use for plastic bags."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  12:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Stewart, (busylady4 #4222) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I have been doing embroidery since I was 8 years old and continue to incorporate embroidery in many of my projects. I recently incorporated embroidery in a wool applique project I was working on which always adds extra dimension.

The project turned out great and as a result I'm teaching it as a class."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  12:40:54 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Stewart, (busylady4 #4222) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I learned to quilt many years ago but haven't quilted in probably 25 years. Recently I took a beginner quilting class and have made several small projects since then. I made a disappearing nine patch quilt which also incorporated redwork embroidery.

I love this quilt piece. It is perfect hanging on the wall and so patriotic!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  12:43:14 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Stewart, (busylady4 #4222) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I decided to conquer a queen size quilt for one of my beds. I chose the log cabin pattern and started my journey. I started this project with a quilt group and spent many hours working on the blocks in that group. I ended up finishing the project on my own.

The quilt turned out beautiful in shades of reds, browns and tans. I ended up painting the bedroom to match the quilt. I only have one picture to send since the quilt is at the quilters being quilted. I am so happy with the results and this is the first bed size quilt I have ever made!! And of course the log cabin pattern always reminds me of long ago farmgirls quilting by the fire!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  12:44:21 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Stewart, (busylady4 #4222) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"My mother started me on a journey to button collecting many years ago. She recently passed away and all I asked for were her button jars which we would spend many hours looking at whenever I visited. I have many, many button jars with too many favorite buttons to mention. And I still look for buttons whenever I'm antique shopping.

In my workroom I have button jars every place. Thousands!! And I will keep adding to them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  12:48:11 PM  Show Profile
Sherrill Roy, (baabonnybelle #4153) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Basketry badge.

"I purchased two kits a few summers ago while up in Seattle at Weaving Works. I just never got around to them until today. I picked the easiest one, being a small basket kit. Funny how the packaging will say it takes two hours and of course, it took me over three hours to complete, start to finish.

I made a reed basket close to 20 years ago and really enjoyed it. I never really got into after that, but thought the kits would be interesting to use.

I have a fascination with baskets, always using them for knitting or sewing projects; I even have one on the dining room table for cloth napkins for the family to use.

The basket is far from perfect, but I learned a few tricks as I moved up into the weaving of it. It's a messy project as well, with a bucket of water to keep the wood strips wet and pliable, I was a soaked mess by the time it was all done.

Instead of two handles, I only made one. I decided that this little basket would be perfect as a bobbin basket on my loom. I may even line it later on. I took a picture of different stages of the project and then used a photo app to create one collage to submit. :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  3:44:52 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Hatton, (Farmerette of Kristina Nelson #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It Pretty badge.

"I looked off of a picture I took of my goats and drew it with pencil for my art class.

My art teacher thought it was great and so did my friends. I love to draw, art has to be the best subject ever."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  3:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Claxton, (Tammy Claxton #152) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I began raising hens almost three years ago. I started with four day old chicks and it's turned into an obsession! My hens only eat crumbles and food scraps. No hormones or chemical laden food for them!

Now, after some loses and rehoming of 2 hens, I have a small flock of 6 hens. It's been a terrific experience and this Spring, I am going to try to hatch out my own baby chicks! The eggs are delicious and my girls are spoiled!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page