Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  1:10:09 PM  Show Profile
Kristi Groth, (Kristi #3407) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I volunteer at the Shoshone County Community Clinic. It is a free clinic provided for those without insurance or the means to pay for medical care. I have volunteered with this organization for many months. I have amassed many hours more than the required ten. I have kept a journal of my time spent there.

This has been a very rewarding experience on so many levels. I have been fulfilled by helping and have received help at the same time. It's truly amazing what happens to those being helped as well as the one's helping."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  1:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Kristi Groth, (Kristi #3407) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Community Service badge.

"I continue to volunteer at the Shoshone County Community Clinic. The time spent is generally 3 to four hours once a month. I have given one Tuesday a month for the last 12 months. I helped someone else volunteer for this clinic giving me an opportunity to see what it takes to accept a volunteer as well as volunteer with a friend.

It continues to be a learning experience. Not only am I helping, but I am also being helped. The other volunteers have much to teach as do our patients. I am very thankful for the opportunity."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  1:20:02 PM  Show Profile
Kristi Groth, (Kristi #3407) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I read the book Dare to Repair. I love the front cover. It made me smile. I think the fact that I was willing to tackle some of the projects in the book impressed my husband. I repainted a room from beginning to end without any help from my husband.

It turned out beautiful. My husband was pleased that he didn't have to help and could focus on the things he has to focus on. I felt very elated that I did it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  1:21:08 PM  Show Profile
Kristi Groth, (Kristi #3407) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I took a hunter-safety course and passed. I now have a hunting license. Granted I was one of two adults, the rest were elementary school age. I still learned more in that group than I could have ever learned from an online course.

It turned out well. I feel a sense of power knowing that I can go out with a gun and handle it safely. The best part was the young man who wanted to know if I passed and did I get a hat. His excitement was contagious and yes I passed and received a hat."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  1:52:28 PM  Show Profile
Leah McCoy, (Lyndell #4236) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected about eight reusable shopping bags of different sizes. A couple were bought at the store specifically for my purpose, but the others were just totes we'd collected over the years. I collected all the bags into one central location so we know where they are when we're ready to go shopping. In addition, I made sure to put an extra bag in both my and my partner's cars so that if either of us stop on the way home to pick up extra ingredients (as we often do), we won't be caught without a bag.

I've been on at least two shopping trips using my bags. I'd used reusable bags before, but sometimes I wouldn't have enough and would end up bringing home plastic bags anyway. Now I'm sure I'll always have enough.

Remembering to bring in the extra bag from my car for quick stops is a little more tricky, but I'm getting used to it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  1:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Leah McCoy, (Lyndell #4236) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"My partner and I decided to try raising chickens for the first time this year. Neither of us had ever done it, so it's been a learning process!

To prepare, I referenced several books including:
- Pastured Poultry Profits by Joel Salatin
- Living with Chickens by Jay Rossier
- Free-Range Chicken Gardens by Jessi Bloom

This spring we got a straight run of 7 chicks. They were kept in the basement until they were big enough to regulate their own body heat, and then moved into an outside coop. We currently have a temporary run for them while they are getting used to their new home. We will remove it soon to let them free-range.

We are currently feeding them with conventional feed since it's readily available and affordable for us. However, we do supplement with our organically grown vegetable scraps from the garden as well as foraged weeds from the yard (their favorite is purslane!)

It's a challenge, but also very rewarding! I'm constantly running into problems and coming up with questions - I rely a lot on internet searches and online forums to get information and see what works best for other folks. Recently, we had a raccoon coming around the coop at night and so we had to reinforce all the openings and vents to make sure it couldn't get in. In happier news, they've finally learned to go in the coop by themselves at night! We're looking forward to the next leg of our chicken journey, which will include getting fresh eggs, but probably butchering as well (we have one too many roosters). "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  2:24:53 PM  Show Profile
Julia Riach, (#4210) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"I keep a first aid kit in my car, and supplies in my kitchen and in the bathroom. I also have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and we check the smoke detectors regularly."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  2:30:45 PM  Show Profile
Julia Riach, (#4210) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made an apron from a free pattern I found. I used fabric I had in the closet from another project. I had to learn to use bias tape and miter the corners.

It turned out great! I'm excited to have something nice to wear in the kitchen."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  2:31:44 PM  Show Profile
Julia Riach, (#4210) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I researched ways to clean my house without using toxic cleaners. I made my own laundry and dishwasher soap, and bought cloths that clean using only water. I have been using them for 3 months.

They work well, and I haven't noticed a difference in how clean everything gets."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  3:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Lee Anne Johnson, (LeeAnne #4280) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been collecting buttons for years, and recently acquired many more. I make quilts with men's cotton shirts, and cut the buttons off and save them in a jar.

I love buttons - the colors, the weight, the variety!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  3:19:05 PM  Show Profile
Lee Anne Johnson, (LeeAnne #4280) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I linked pink and white buttons with silver jump rings and added a ring and bar type closure. A few more buttons to dangle, and a pair of matching earrings and I'm stylin"!

I really like the buttons as jewelry - they are colorful but not pretentious."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  3:57:21 PM  Show Profile
Connie Cowan, (SisterSue #4238) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"I spent the weekend researching on our electric coop website about our energy options. Our home has propane heat, electric AC, propane cooking. We cook primarily outside most of the summer to keep our propane usage down. I also marked the calendar for the district meeting so we will be sure to attend and voice our opinions in the coop. I found a great interactive tool on the coop website that takes you through the rooms of your home and by showing what we can do to save energy, it also calculates how much we can save by doing these things. (My first changes in the house I will save $360 in a year, and I'm just getting started!) I knew some of them already, but many were new and I will start on them right away! This will be a great tool as I work toward the intermediate badge and start my journal about our energy usage around the home.

I have already followed the suggestions on the website that I could do right away: lowering our water heater temp, closing blinds earlier in the day to keep the Texas heat out, adjusting our thermostat - (we are finding that we can keep it much warmer than we had been). I had already changed some of our light bulbs to CFC but as I work through the journal keeping this next month I will hope to change at least one in each room this month. Some of what I am saving in other areas can be spent on upgrading our light bulbs!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  4:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Connie Cowan, (SisterSue #4238) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I am an accomplished crocheter, but am following the rules and no 'grandmothering' ;-) I took this opportunity to make a little something for myself, a nice wash cloth.
I also work constantly to help my sister perfect her crochet skills, and I sent my daughter (age 24) a start to crochet box, she now lives long distance but I keep up with her progress on facebook. Another outlet for teaching is the prayer shawl group at my church. I attend when I can (meets weekly) and there is always opportunity to teach my stitching sisters new techniques.

I used some 100% cotton yarn from my stash and made a nubby patterned wash cloth. It took me about 2 hours, but I am a fast stitcher!
I plan to really challenge myself for the intermediate level and start a project and finish it completely before moving on to another!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  4:08:04 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I made a pinkeeper by using 2-4"x4" pieces of beautiful floral print. I sewed around the edges on 3 sides, stuffed it with fiberfill, and hand sewed the opening. WooHoo!! Then I found about 10 different sizes of safety pins, 3 sewing needles, and 10 straight pins, placing them into my pinkeeper. Next I went through my button collection & sorted out 20 different size & colors of buttons. I found 8 different basic colors of thread to add to the kit, long with a small pair of scissors. Lastly, I found an older tin, placed all of this into it.

I'm impressed that it looks so nice. I will be putting in our camping gear for our trip to the Grand Canyon this fall."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  4:12:08 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I collected my buttons off worn out clothing, rummage sales, and family members. I put all the buttons together with ones I'd already collected.

I added buttons to my "old" collection, which I started when my mother-in-law gave me her buttons shortly after we were married. I marvel at all the different buttons there are. And I've used so many over the years!
I put all my buttons together in the tin that my mother-in-law gave to me many years ago. It is so special."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  10:17:18 AM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"Last fall I had walls put up in my basement. Instead of having rooms built I left the main section wide open, but painted part of it green and part of it pink to depict 2 seperate themed areas. This spring the carpenters returned and added a false ceiling. Once the ceiling was up the large open area was no longer appealing to me. I loved the green area, but hated the pink. I decided to paint out the pink, and have one large green area. I now had to tape off the ceiling area so I didn't get green paint on the white ceiling tiles. this was a hugh job, especially around the windows. I thought I would get by with one coat, but ended up using two coats of green. If you look closely at the picture you can see some green and some pink painted areas.

Now that the paint has dried I am so glad that I decided to paint out the pink. I still have two seperate areas, but they flow together very nicely.
My ceiling tiles absorbed the paint spatters very quickly and could not be washed away. I learned from the very start to be extremely careful. I used a very small tapered brush when I worked near them.
Next job - staining the cement floor, but that's another badge!

I read Dare to Repair. In fact I read 2 of Sussman and Glakas-tenet books. I ordered them through the regional library this past winter. I'm glad I didn't purchase them as I am 65 years old and have had first hand experience with these fix-it projects as life gets complicated for homeowners if you don't stay on top of things. I think this book would make an ideal gift for a bridal shower or for someone purchasing their first home."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  10:31:53 AM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader, (#4109) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I know a few simple crochet stitches so I made a few scarves. I loved the colors of yarn so this will be one of my favorite projects to do.

My scarves turned out great and my granddaughter and her girlfriend were here and wanted to learn how so I showed them both how to do a chain and single crochet stitch starting them out on a simple potholder. They both enjoyed it. I made two potholders also, one for me and one for my sister."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  11:04:59 AM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (Geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Recipes badge.

"I got a recipe book from my aunt's family and my mother's grandmother.
I also have been researching recipes from bakery and tea rooms where I grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana.

My mother loved it, seeing old recipes and having memories tied to the food."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  11:28:34 AM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (Geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"I have been trying to get pictures of birds in my backyard. I would like to get a bluebird and a cardinal.
I have got a robin.

It is hard to wait for them to stay in one place. It is fun to see them in action when they don't know you're looking."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  11:29:50 AM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (Geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I started a button collection, I have the minimum of 50.

It is fun to plan for the next level of what to make."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  11:30:42 AM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (Geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I bought 6 reusable bags to shop with from the dollar store.

I keep them in my car."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  11:31:39 AM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (Geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I started to buy farm fresh eggs and we started feeding our dog organic treats.

The dog loved them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  1:13:10 PM  Show Profile
Eve Kammerdiener, (Farmerette of Anita Kammerdiener #4035) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I earned this badge by making a presentation for a business that I would be interested in owning later in life. My business was a cake decorating service called Kammy's Cute Cakes. I presented it in front of my freshman business class.

It turned out very well. I dressed up for school that day, battled the typical pre-presentation nerves, and received a 97/100."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  1:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Eve Kammerdiener, (Farmerette of Anita Kammerdiener #4035) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Recipes badge.

"This past Easter, I gathered multiple recipes from grandparents and other family members.

It turned out great! I got recipes for short bread, chocolate chip cookies, butter cookies, my grandmother's famous cinnamon rolls, and more."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  1:22:29 PM  Show Profile
Eve Kammerdiener, (Farmerette of Anita Kammerdiener #4035) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Recipes badge.

"Along with recipes from magazines, I put my grandmother's recipes in a box that stays in the kitchen. I made dinner recipes to give to my cousin at her bridal shower.

It turned out good, she was excited to try the recipes, and we know that our recipes are safe."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page