Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  2:52:52 PM  Show Profile
Shanda Lord, (shanda #4233) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Crochet badge.

"This was a fun project. It's a table topper, in fall purple colors. The new stitch is called a long dc.

Crocheting in the company of others was not a problem at all since I travel with my current project and crochet with friends during fellowship at Church.

I really like it. I didn't at first, I almost pulled it out after a few rows. It looked like the Long dc caused too much bunching up, but I stuck with it a little longer and I am glad I did. I turned out great."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  3:22:28 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I learned a few new stitches that I rarely use, but will be ready for them. I made an afghan for my grandgirl, Zoey, for her birthday. I'm a slow crocheter, so it took me over the 20 hour minimum--almost 40 hours. I relaxed & crochet with my daughters, daughter-in-law, and other grandgirl, Jade, for over 5 hours.

I was well pleased with my project. Zoey was thrilled to have her own afghan--and I used up left-over skeins of yarn in the process! With crocheting with my girls, I had the chance to really talk & listen,plus work on a project. All very relaxing!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  3:27:15 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Fishing badge.

"I went on-line to find all the different knots used in fishing. My hubby & I call some of them other names. But it was interesting to see all of them. We tried them together & I even saved the pictures for future references!

We were so engrossed & spent the afternoon together trying each one. Will use some of them more than others."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  3:27:59 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Fishing badge.

"I obtain a fishing regulation booklet each time I get a new fishing license. I know which fish we like to fish for, so I study the regulations for them. The bait is what works for that day/night of fishing.

I love to look in the regulation booklet to see all the different fish. It is easy to obtain from the license place--they need to be able to give one to you. We like to fish on Lake Michigan, where we fish for walleye, perch, bass--both largemouth & smallmouth. We usually fish from the boat in the big lake, so we can troll or drift fishing. In the inland lakes, we still use our boat, but fish anchored or drift. The bait depends on the fishing weather, time of day & what we've caught them on before. We use worms, night-crawlers, artificial lures & fish eyes. Perch like smaller bait; walleye like the artificial bait. We just love catching them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  3:28:52 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I set a goal to lose some weight, exercise more regularly & relax. I did this for a month.

I've been able to keep my walking routine & yoga at least 5 days per week. Once I set my mind to doing this, I just did it at a regular time each day. I've lost 6 pounds & I'm enjoying the exercising outdoors every day."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  3:29:32 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Let's Get Physical badge.

"With the garden in full production, we eat everything we can with a little wild game or fish. We have an organic garden. I'm still doing great on my exercise plan. It is now just a habit to keep going.

I'm enjoying everything I'm eating!!! And the exercise is essential to keep healthy. I feel so much better & have a better attitude."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  10:41:06 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Forage for Food badge.

"I spent much time this past mild winter, looking around at the local plants, making notes of interesting looking vines and prickly bushes. Once the weather warmed up for good, I began to look back to my notes and recollect what was beginning to grow.

I like looking at different plants during the year. Some of them I thought were weeds ended up being raspberry bushes, I also found my neighbor has a huge elderberry tree, and a few vines I thought might be grapes, were really poison ivy. It was a very educational merit badge."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  10:42:08 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Rocks and Minerals badge.

"I started my research online. Finding that Minerals are a solid formation of a particular type, while rocks are a mixture of different minerals together in a formation. Minerals are identified using a set of traits; color, streak, luster, density, hardness, cleavage, fracture, tenacity, and habit. The three different types of rocks are igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic. There are many ways we use rocks, my home is made of bricks, which were pressed in a local brickyard. I know that people use different rocks in jewelry, I know I love my bloodstone pendant. Rocks have also been used to grind grain, using millstones.

I have always had a soft spot for geology and this was a wonderful brain refresher for me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  10:42:50 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I took a few gun safety lessons with a former police officer. He is a good friend of mine and really engaged me in the learning process.

I never realized how safe one must be with guns. I was never exposed to them, or even discussed them while growing up. But my friend gave me two stories that stuck with me. But the themes of don’t put anything in front of a gun that you don’t want shot, even if you think it is empty. Also, always, always treat a gun as if it were loaded, even if you are sure it is not."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  10:44:11 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Fishing badge.

"My father taught me to fish when I was a child.

I am applying for beginner, intermediate and expert badges.

Currently, my husband and I ordered books from the library to re-teach fishing knots, and teach two of our daughter's to fish.

We have been catching fish for years, and eating them. My husband, who was taught by his father, has taught our girls (and myself) many skills, including how to clean the fish.

We are planning more fishing trips in the future. We recently took our daughters fishing, during a camping weekend.

My older brother recently taught my older 3 to fly fish, and they have also been fishing this year.

We own several fishing poles, tackle, and other equipment. We typically fish locally with real worms."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  10:45:32 AM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"Here is a picture of my green beans which I plan on cooking tonight! I've kept it organic and I bought Rodale's Successful Organic Gardening Controlling Pests and Diseases. Great pictures, very helpful and I read Montrose: Life in a Garden. Exceptional illustrations, I'm glad there were so many, but I found the book to be a bit of a sleeper. But then, I am a beginning gardener.

I've never grown beans before, and they are doing well. (I wish I could say the same for the rest of the garden!)
Starting to think as to what I can plant for Fall harvest!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  10:47:45 AM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Cross-Stitch badge.

"I cross-stitched this printed design on a pillowcase. I have one more to do and then I think I'll give them away as a Christmas present.

I have cross-stitched on different kinds of fabrics like linen (the hardest for me) and on this project, which was a pre-printed design on poly-cotton (the 2nd hardest for me). I've also cross-stitched on other fabrics with water soluable waste canvas and that is fun. And then I tried chicken scratch which is cross stitch on gingham using the squares as a guide and I love the effects on that. I'm kind of a black and white type of girl, give me my easy-to-see holes and I will happily cross-stitch."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  10:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell, (vanavista #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Carp-hen-try badge.

"Instead of making a picnic table I took the one that was in my basement and made it a potting table. My new/repurposed potting porch is narrow, so I had to remove the legs and 3 of the table boards. Because I’m tall I used 2x4’s and made the legs taller. To stabilize them there is a 2x4 piece for each end of the table legs, which made a great place for a shelf for my extra pots.

I love the way it turned out. If you look carefully you will see an oil pan on top of the table that will catch the water and dirt for when I winter over my Bonsai."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  10:44:43 AM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell, (vanavista #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Carp-hen-try badge.

"It’s done. All the work and planning is finished. I wanted to spend $20.00 or less on this project and repurpose things that were around the house. I succeeded. I went to the paint store and bought paint that was mixed wrong. It was only $5.00 for the wall paint and $3.00 for the trim paint. With a little elbow grease and some caulking my plywood walls now look great! My new potting table fits perfectly, I have hooks on the wall and I took an old broom handle and some chain and made a ceiling rack for my hanging baskets. Did you know that you can take your old, bent plastic hangers and cut them just right and they can be used for hanging your baskets? The old outdoor toy bucket has my potting soil in it!

I think the whole project turned out great! I was within my budget and I use things that were waiting for a new place in my home. R-R-R."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  10:45:56 AM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell, (vanavista #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Quilting badge.

"I used leftover blocks and fabrics to finish this quilt. It's machined pieced, hand applicated and hand quilted. I teach quilting at a quilt shop and have been doing so for about 5 years.

I think it's a very sweet quilt. Just trying to use up my stash."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  10:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Denise Thain, (Neecerie #4509) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I recently moved to WA state, where most people do already carry their own shopping bags. I have gotten enough bags to do all my shopping, and even have a few emergency folding bags that fit in my purse, for unexpected shopping.

I do still sometimes find myself without a bag, due to not remembering to bring them back to the car for the next trip, but that is improving."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  10:49:14 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth, (dandelionhouse #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Horse Dreams badge.

"I took riding lessons at a nearby stable for a year and a half ( alongside our daughter) where we both learned the ins and outs of caring for and riding horses.

GROOMING~ before we could ride, we had to learn how to groom our horses including picking the ( you know what ) out of their hooves. I brushed combed and even gave neck massages to the horses I rode. We also had to learn how to " tack up" ourselves which by the end of the year we could do almost by ourselves with a watchful eye nearby...

We also located two horse rescues in our town. We visited one called
Black Feather Horse Rescue. We met the owner on a cold January day while she was out mucking stalls. That's when we met Murphy...one of the horses she rescued and nursed back to health. We also learned that she ( along with an illustrater friend ) had written a book about Murphy and how he found his way to Black Feather Farm.
Some days later I purchased the book from our local independent Lawn and Garden center and promptly wrote a blog post about our visit and shared the link to her website where people can donate money/ purchase books to help the rescue. It felt good to help even just a little. Before leaving the rescue we gave the owner a big farmgirl hug and many blessings for her work with the horses.
I brought our daughter and her friend along with me that day and it was just so heartwarming to see all the love and care that goes into caring for horses without a home.

The photo I uploaded is an image from the first book about Murphy.

THE RESCUE

http://www.blackfeatherhorserescue.org/#!bfhr/mainPage

My post: A call to action!

http://deborahjeansdandelionhouse.blogspot.com/2011/01/heart-for-helping-horses.html

This farmgirl still hears horse hooves in her dreams! A golden palomino please!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  11:39:57 AM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"My hubby & I built tee pees for our pole beans, a 2-sided trellis for our cukes & trellises for the tomato plants. We used twine & 8' poles for the beans; we used an old screen from the power plant, cut in 1/2 & held apart on the top wires, planting the cukes inside & letting them grow up. The tomato plants are trellised with a set of poles & twine going up for the tomatoes to climb. My hubby did all the welding I needed.

The poles beans are now 8' in the air & I have to use a step ladder to pick them. The cukes are climbing upwards instead of sprawling across the garden. The tomatoes are spiraling around the twine, off the ground & loving their area! We are thrilled to save space & not step on the vines or plants!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  11:40:56 AM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"I received in our power bill a flyer explaining "The Environmental Characteristics of your Electricity", just as I was talking to hubby about how to find the information I needed. I was so excited. I then went on the Farmgirl Chatroom tonight & posted my knowledge & opinion of all I'd read!

Now being a wife of a retired power plant employee, I knew lots about this, but never saw the stats until then. I was impressed. I'm always looking for ways to save power & love to learn about new ideas. Have often wondered about getting a windmill/turbine on our property, but the cost is so much to invest. And we live only 2 miles from the airport runway; not sure we could put one up!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  11:43:01 AM  Show Profile
Karla Reinhart, (karlee2147 #4476) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"In the process of trying to be more aware of waste, we have collected reusable bags for shopping. A total of 8 bags to use for grocery shopping.

Has turned out well, at first kept forgetting to take them now they are on the top of the grocery list, even have one bag I made using quilt fabric. It is a large bag so can't fill it too full."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  11:44:06 AM  Show Profile
Karla Reinhart, (karlee2147 #4476) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"My grandmother is 94 years old and loves to research geneology, although it is getting harder for her to do. I was at a book fair and there was a book titled Grandmother memories. I asked her to complete this book and share memories of her childhood, my fathers childhood and mine, along with my children's.

It was lovely she included family pictures, and some wonderful memories, she has had a very sad life with losing her oldest child in a car accident just before his senior year in high school and her youngest child in a car accident before she was a year old, so my father is her only living child, neither accident she was involved in an lost her husband. So she did not want to share those memories."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  11:44:51 AM  Show Profile
Karla Reinhart, (karlee2147 #4476) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"After realizing how much I was affected healthwise by foods I had been eating. My husband and I did some research and started ordering organic farm fresh eggs from a local family.

It has turned out well we get them delivered to our front door every 2 weeks. My skin has cleared up with new dietary changes."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  12:45:21 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Fish, (#66) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I've been knitting ever since Girl Scounts, and now I am teaching my grandson to knit. My recent finished projects include "Aran Sandal Socks" and from "Socks,Socks,Socks" and "Spey Valley" from "Knitting on the Road" by Nancy Bush. Each of these projects took over 40 hours to complete, the socks are knit on a size 0 needle.

I am a machine knitter as well as a hand knitter and I attended a two-day session with other machine knitters last weekend (I do this about three times a year) and I am joining a local hand-knitting circle that meets twice a month.

I record my knitting and fiber arts adventures in my blog, www.brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com, and in ravelry.com where my username is brightmeadow.

I love my socks! The Aran Sandal socks are so warm and cushy I love wearing them. I wash them on delicate in the machine, but lay flat to dry. My husband accidentally put them in the washer/dryer and they shrunk just a little, which turned out fine as they were just a little big originally, now they are perfect. The Spey valley socks are lightweight and cool in summer."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  12:46:17 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Fish, (#66) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and intermediate level Spinning badge.

"I bought a spinning wheel 25 years ago when I bought some Angora rabbits and I wanted to learn to spin their wool. I soon learned that spinning sheep's wool is much easier than Angora. I purchased a fleece in the grease, spun some thick and thin yarn, and made a pair of mittens and several other projects.

More recently I have been demonstrating spinning at a park near me, the Huron-Clinton Metroparks system Wolcott Mill Farmpark. I do this at least three times every year. I purchased a large bag of multicolored roving and have spun the whole bag into two-ply yarn. I am using the yarn in a knitting project.

I was fortunate enough to find some 10 unwanted raw fleeces on Craigslist, so I gathered them up and took them to Zeilinger's Mill in Frankenmuth for processing. I had most of the yarn put up on cones for my machine knitting, but I kept a very large bag of roving out for future spinning activities. I have used some of the coned yarn for dyeing, but that's another merit badge!

I've been featured in the local paper as a spinner-demonstrator at the farm, and have been asked to participate in historic reenactments. (Maybe after I retire)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  1:13:29 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Witko, (Annielaurel #2301) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I purchased a pattern and made the apron adding some white rick rack. I used a 100% cotton fabric.

I think it turned out well. I wore it to a friend's house and we made some oatmeal cookies. She wore one of her aprons too. "

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page