Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  2:36:31 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilling badge.

"We are trying to form a farmgirl chapter locally. We have reached 4 members, but not yet enough. We still get together and work on projects. This month we met and one of the ladies showed us quilling. I had seen it in craft stores but never tried it. It was fun.

I really liked it because I can and have used it in my scrapbooking and card making."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  2:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith, (forever young #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Bustin' Out badge.

"I continued for another 5 months in trying new things organic.
I have paid more attention to the foods I buy. I feel healthier just knowing that my family and I are eating the right foods and not putting chemicals, toxins and hormones in our bodies.

Since I started working towards these merit badges I am paying more attention to what is in the foods we eat, beverages we drink and cleaning supplies used around the house.
I put more effort in controlling what I eat, I feel much better about myself and how I feed my family.
I am also reading more about the foods we eat and things we have around the house that is bad for a person."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  2:49:20 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith, (forever young #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Greatest Generation badge.

"I have continued to spend time with my friend Jerry. He is a WW11 veteran.
I made him a Veteran's blanket, The top middle is flags, sides are tiny blue stars and red flannel backing. He loves it, saying no one in his family ever wanted to talk about his service time.

I plan on taking him to Branson, Mo in Nov. for Veterans week.
I feel so honored to have such a friend of the Greatest Generation and me being a Baby Boomer.
Our special friendship will continue and I will continue to honor him as a Veteran.
I have shared this with the Farmgirl chatroom."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  2:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Christina Marsden, (#4411) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I started a compost pile back in August and I read the book "The Earth Moved" by Amy Stewart.

My compost pile is turning black, I can't wait to apply it to my garden. I will continue to add to my compost pile as much as possible through out the winter.

I found the book "The Earth Moved" very interesting. I would never have thought worms could be so much help or even a problem. I am not able to start a worm ranch due to the fact that we are not currently settled, right now things are so up in the air. I have learned a lot about the worms that inhabit my garden and am glad for the help they give in keeping the soil good and helping my vegetables grow."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  2:55:55 PM  Show Profile
Holli Herndon, (#4262) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"My daughter and I visit free expos and community events and Publix as well as many other groups are there giving away cloth bags. We have been collecting these bags to go grocery shopping with. We have accumulated 24 of them in total.

It is a wonderful feeling to go into the store and give them our bags. Now that we do it, I notice how many other people are doing it as well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  2:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong, (cowgirlup@21 #4391) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I have been driving around looking at other people's horse's. I own one Arabian, the black horse in the photo and an Arabian quarter horse cross. In the community there are Fjords, Percheron's (always has been a personal favorite, they are gentle giants) quarter horses, my sister in law has two Arabs, a miniature and a pony. My horses were my father's horses and they drive and ride. My Dad died of lymphoma cancer 3 and a half years ago. I miss him like crazy but the two rascals keep me close to him. My husband and I fenced in about 15 acres for the horses and do our own hoof trimming , deworming, West Nile vaccinations etc. The horses have had their teeth floated and last month I had to stand beside and comfort my gelding as he got his tooth pulled because it cracked off and the root was exposed.

I love my horses. I have read Monty Roberts Shy Boy and the Man who talks to horses. I have just ordered the book "The Soul Of a Horse", by Joe Camp. We do not have a horse rescue in the area. Is looking after my own enough( I have had the 2 renegades for one year now.) the dates below only are relevant for looking at horses in the area."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  3:39:45 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Fishing badge.

"Well, went fishing at McPhee Reservoir which is on the Dolores River. Caught just a couple trout, but one legal size and edible.
Very tasty.

I'm not really a fisherman (woman) but it is kinda fun to give it a try and to go with my hubby who IS a fisherman and loves doing it.
We have gone fishing together many times over the years and have taken our kids. My hubby has had great pleasure in teaching our daughter how to fish!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  3:44:12 PM  Show Profile
Mary Turnbull, (MsMaryRN #3331) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I earned my Shopping Green by collecting many reusable bags. I find that I have become somewhat of a bag fanatic. I will buy a reusable bag to wrap gifts – a great 2:1. Some gym bags became repurposed to carry heavier loads of groceries. I have found that most can be machine washed. I have become very committed to using them on my shopping trips. As soon as they are emptied in the house my sons put them right back in the car.

At some grocery stores they charge you for their little cheap plastic bags while another store gives me 10 cents credit for each bag I bring in. One of the many advantages of reusable bags is they are pretty and allow me to make less trips from car to house."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  3:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker, (browneyed girl #3756) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have put together a sewing kit. It includes several threads, buttons, scissors, needles, pins and safety pins.

I am going to learn to sew - so this is the beginning step."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  10:09:44 AM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Plant It Forward badge.

"My husband and I now live by ourselves and even though we love gardening we always plant more than we need so I thought it would be a good idea to donate some home grown veggies to our local food bank. Well guess what - They do not accept fresh produce or home canned products. This is sad because people from all walks of life need fresh produce.
I went home and called several people who work with people in need of assistance. Several of these people came out and carted away the veggies.

Under the circumstances I feel that my project was a success. I not only fed the poor, but local volunteers received the gift of fresh veggies as well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  10:11:01 AM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge.

"Because I am prone to infections I used recycled plastic cartons (yogurt, cottage cheese) and a permanent marker to make my row markers. I was afraid of getting cut on metal can lids.
Following your instructions on how to sharpen garden tools (page 169 of Idea Book)I attempted to sharpen an old spade I purchased at an auction. I sharpened the tool several time but never got it back into shape. A blacksmith friend of ours told me that the spade was to far gone and the best thing to do was to replace it. It was worth a try. I am happy to report that I did learn how to sharpen a spade.
Now that the garden season is coming to a close I am in the process of preparing my tools for winter storage. I have cleaned and oiled them and treated those with wooden handles to a treatment of boiled linseed oil.

The row markers lasted in the hot Iowa heat. I am getting a new spade from Santa, and my tools will be ready for next spring."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  10:12:41 AM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Grow Where You're Planted badge.

"When I first started this project I knew very little about wild flowers. On May 5th my husband and I went on a wildflower walk sponsored by our conservation board. We enjoyed several spring wild flowers and our guide gave us information about each species. I took several photos and started a wildflower book. Through the summer I was able to locate and photograph several more species for my book. We visited at least 3 different wildflower community gardens, and watched road ditches, lakes and streams for more plants. I was not able to find any information on the wildflowers that are endangered. However I discovered that the county is spraying the ditches and the Monarch's are losing their precious milkweeds due to these chemicals. I have have decided to take up this battle and see if I can get this spraying stopped. I only saw 5 Monarchs this year and we usually have thousands of them gathering in our trees for their flight south. (Drought conditions may also have been a factor.)

I really like my photo album with wildflower descriptions. I am always on the lookout for more species. I never picked any as I want them to seed out and produce more plants. I am going to use my album and new knowledge in November when it is my turn to give a garden club program."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  10:46:54 AM  Show Profile
Angela Landis, (QueenBee Angela #3795) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"This August, I used some tips from other Farmgirls, as well as my oven and dehydrator, and made our own chips from the garden. We've been enjoying healthy snacks like potato, sweet potato, beet, and zucchini chips, as well as green beans. We also took a trip to the orchard, and have been making our own fruit leathers in apple, pear, and strawberry, so far.

It's been fantastic! I've actually moved my dehydrator out of storage and set it on an antique step stool in the corner of my kitchen, and I now use it most every day! The family loves the healthier snacks, and I love knowing what they are putting in their bodies! "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  10:50:13 AM  Show Profile
Angela Landis, (QueenBee Angela #3795) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"This summer, we expanded our small garden and added a second plot. In the first plot, I made a cucumber ladder out of branches from a birch tree. In the second, I made a bean trellis for my climbers. I screwed the branches together, and used twine for additional supports.

They worked so wonderfully. Not only did they keep my produce from the ground, but they acted as a privacy fence to the sitting area once fully leafed out. I got the best bean harvest I've ever had, and it all looked so natural. I hope they winter over."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  10:51:32 AM  Show Profile
Angela Landis, (QueenBee Angela #3795) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"In March, I decided to make some major lifestyle changes. I began eating whole foods as much as possible, as well as limiting sugar and processed carbs. By July, I had lost 30 pounds. I rewarded myself by joining a local gym.

I've been going to the gym at least 4 times a week, and I am now averaging 10 miles a week on the elliptical. I am lifting weights to strengthen aging joints. On the other days, I am walking outdoors. It was hard getting into the habit, but now I crave getting my time in. I have more energy, and I have lost another 5 pounds. Best of all, I have been a great example to my daughter, who now goes with me!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  10:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Angela Landis, (QueenBee Angela #3795) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"We did the purge of cleaners that were not green in the home. We had a family meeting and discussed the importance of green, and each member came up with one aspect of green cleaning that they would focus on. I began using Pinterest to track and find different green living ideas.

I find that the transition is really catching on. Pinterest ideas really help me introduce something new all the time, and they are jumping on the band wagon. The more aware we are, the happier we are about our choices. We've been experimenting with recipes. (I suppose that's the next level!)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  10:53:42 AM  Show Profile
Angela Landis, (QueenBee Angela #3795) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Connecting Growers and Eaters badge.

"I have a dear friend who is a certified organic gardener, and I run a homeschooling co-op where we are co-teaching a class on organic gardening to teenagers this year. This summer I organized the building of four small raised bed gardens at the church where we will meet for classes. We will working the gardens all year, and will be donating almost all (after taste testing!) our bounty to the churches food bank.

The kids are amazingly inspired by gardening. We built the beds in about three hours time. We have planted fall crops, and have been collecting seeds from our home gardens for our spring/summer garden. There enthusiasm about growing their own food is a balm for the soul!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  11:28:22 AM  Show Profile
Christine Deal, (Drafty #2099) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I have worked with and ridden horses for years and decided that I wanted to work with Clydesdales. I purchased my first about 3 years ago from a rescue organization,(which I am sorry to say was not a good one), then rescued another from a person who did not know how to handle a horse that large. My newest addition comes home at the end of this month, a little colt..Just in time for my birthday!

I love working with my large horses. It can be a huge challenge when they are not properly trained before they are full grown, but I would not trade it for the world."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  11:36:37 AM  Show Profile
Christine Deal, (Drafty #2099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"I just completed a course with New York Institute of Photography. I have a website
www.chrisdealphotography.com
and a facebook page under Chris Deal Photography.

I love working with the camera and saving precious moments...My mantra is 'photography goodness'"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  11:40:30 AM  Show Profile
Christine Deal, (Drafty #2099) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have been raising silkie chickens for about 10 years now. I love having fresh eggs, although they are my pets and I could not harvest the chickens themselves... We currently have 17 and 1 new peep..

We love having them and they are very entertaining."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  11:41:16 AM  Show Profile
Christine Deal, (Drafty #2099) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"Ha! This has been a huge deal for me as I was never big on guns. I grew up in the city where they were usually only part of criminal activity so I always steered clear... 5 years ago we moved to a more rural farm and I was staring through my lovely ceiling to floor windows, a coyote larger than most German Shepherd's trotted right across in front of me... so I decided I needed a gun and know how!

I ended up with just a small 22 mag, a permit and some knowledge (because I am comfortable with the size and using it in a hurry...)(although my husband still laughs as I consistently mix up rifles and shotguns I am learning and hope to try hunting this winter!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  12:59:04 PM  Show Profile
Paula Harris, (PaulaRae37 #3488) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I purchased reusable shopping bags from various stores (more than six!) and now take them in with me when I do my weekly shopping.

Not only has it cut down on the number of plastic bags that come into my house (which I recycle), but the reusable bags are much easier to carry!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  1:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Paula Harris, (PaulaRae37 #3488) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I developed a business plan for an enterprise to rent a booth at arts & crafts sales. I would sell hand-made items. My company name would be Craftsy Sister.

In planning stage to actually go through with my business."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  1:04:34 PM  Show Profile
Paula Harris, (PaulaRae37 #3488) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I prepared to launch my new handmade crochet and knit business. Got my initial funds of $100 in small bills to use for change and printed business cards.

Ready to get started on my first-ever commercial venture with Craftsy Sister!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  1:05:22 PM  Show Profile
Paula Harris, (PaulaRae37 #3488) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"Attended "Big Canoe Village Marketplace" and sold crocheted necklaces and knitted scarves.

Averaged $100 per week."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page