Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  5:31:05 PM  Show Profile
Valdeane Odachi, (Mahina Farmgirl #4680) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"For this holiday gift giving, I did the following:
I sewed sets of re-use produce bags out of scrap fabrics, used artwork from my children to print notecards, using a drawing from my daughter I made a blockprint and stamped the covers of notepads, handsewn re-use produce bags, canvas zip bags (2 sizes) and flour sack dish towels. I further embellished the canvas zip bags by adding traditional Hawaiian hau (hibiscus tiliaceus) cordage (I processed from the growing plant stage) that I made by twining or braiding and adding hand gathered shells from the island of Hawaii.
I also took photos and printed them onto notecards as well. I even made the labels for the produce bags with art from my daughter as well. It#699;s a family affair!

Since most of our families live on a different island, we have to start making gifts in early November so that we can give Christmas gifts on Thanksgiving. Everything turned out great and so far, the gifts we passed out while visiting family during Thanksgiving were well received and appreciated! In fact, some relatives "requested" additional gifts they saw OTHER relatives got and they did not! "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  4:06:12 PM  Show Profile
Tina Shillington, (BlackRabbit #4511) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Make It Pretty badge.

"I have been drawing for years but painting was a challenge and boy do I love one. I have four watercolors here. Tell me what you think. I visited the art museum in Philly just last year. It was interesting.

I think I need more practice, but I don't find them terrible."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  4:14:00 PM  Show Profile
Tina Shillington, (BlackRabbit #4511) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I've had my plan for my own business for a couple years now, a sweet little bed and breakfast, quaint right? That being said, I have thought of the name repetitively but will not write it down for fear of jinxing it. I have everything planned out to the minute detail of the bedding. I hope that once I find the perfect live in site I may be able to purchase it. So do me a favor ladies, keep an eye out for a little farm for me!

Still keep on dreaming, scouting and working toward my life's ambition. Wish me luck!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  1:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Cox, (dawn5556 #4676) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I organized all my storage containers in the kitchen.

The organization of the containers gave me more room and it'll be lots easier to find what I need."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  1:44:12 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Cox, (dawn5556 #4676) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"My kitchen needs list is very small but I did start a short list starting with a microplane.
I donated all the extra storage containers and plastic grocery bags to our church soup kitchen.

Getting it together helped me help myself and others at the same time."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  1:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Cox, (dawn5556 #4676) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"I took my husbands' trusty can of 3 in 1 oil and oiled all the door hinges. The bike and gardening tools were cleaned and oiled also.

This task didn't take as long as I thought it would and I dusted as I went along. The bike will go to a good home since none of us use it and all the gardening tools are put in storage."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  2:00:43 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer, (dmeyer #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer of the Secret Life of Bees movie at www.vanishingbees.com and I read "Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd.

Watching the video and reading the book makes me glad that I do not use pesticides. I grow a garden each year and bees are very important for pollination of not only my vegetables but also my flowers. I have seen bees flying around my yard constantly. They seem to love my sedum, basil, apple trees, and Rose of Sharon plants. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  2:11:52 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd, (NancyOH1 #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I assembled a sewing kit by using a canning jar and adding in several spools of different spools of different colored thread, sewing needles, straight pins, safety pins, buttons, measuring tape, and a needle threader. For the pin cushion top I used a 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 square of material stuffed with cotton balls and hand sewn to the underside of the metal lid for the canning jar. I then inserted it through the screw lid portion of the top.

It turned out fabulous!! I even plan on making several more for Christmas for my nieces and sister-in-laws and a good friend."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  2:14:03 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith, (forever young #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a half apron using McCall's pattern # M5825. I used fabric that has decorated cupcakes all over. The back ground is lime green. The cupcakes have glitter.
I added two pockets and light pink lace across the bottom of the apron.

It took me two hours to cut out and make this apron.
It is very festive looking. I plan on wearing this apron while baking goodies and especially let my Granddaughter wear while visiting and helping Grandma in the kitchen."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2012 :  3:30:57 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer, (dmeyer #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I was shown how to make a scarf by a co-worker. It took 4 hours to complete the scarf but I think it turned out really nice.

I have made myself two so far. I am going to make more for Christmas gifts. I also showed my sister how to make these scarves."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2012 :  3:37:05 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer, (dmeyer #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"My husband showed me how to check all the fluids in my car and to put air in my tires.

I now do this by myself every two weeks, I have also been keeping track of my mileage and gas usage. My Hyundai Santa Fe gets 22 miles a gallon."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  4:38:37 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Kay Skovo, (#4700) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I chose a half apron pattern from "More Retro Aprons" by Cindy Taylor Oates. I found some fabric in my stash that would be right for it. I like a busy print for an apron so that one cannot see the stains that may develop. Then I sewed it up in one afternoon and evening at intervals in between garden work and dinner.

It turned out great. I made it a bit longer since I'm tall and I made a size too big because I like to wipe my hands on my sides so wanted some wrap around. I think next time I'd like it to have more flare out."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  4:44:38 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland, (suzanneh #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I learned how to crochet when I was a little girl. My mother taught me. But I confess it has been ages since I have picked up a crochet hook. But...I finally did. I have been having a wonderful time crocheting cute little hats for my daughters. It took a couple of tries for the stitches to come back to me. I referred back to Mary Jane's book several times.

The hats turned out really cute. My daughter just love them. My husband loved them so much that he purchased some beautiful wool for me when he was on a business trip so I could make more in a more expensive yarn."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  3:57:53 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland, (suzanneh #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Civic Heritage badge.

"I live in St Francisville, La and I have spent a great deal of time at Rosedown Plantation. It is my family's favorite Plantation. I am fascinated by Martha Turnbull. I am writing a series of blog entries. One for each level. I hope you will read my blog so you can learn all the interesting things that I am about this woman and the place she called Rosedown.

http://countrynatural.blogspot.com/2012/12/civic-heritage.html

This is the link for my first entry. I have learned a great deal about Martha and how she started the gardens at Rosedown Plantation. She kept great records that span over 60 years. She was hands on and was know to get down in the dirt with the "help"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  4:00:15 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper, (#4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"This year I decorated a Christmas tree with ornaments made from applesauce and cinnamon. I also strung popcorn and cranberries on the tree. For the homemade gifts I made scrapbook calendars, sewn organizers that fit over a coffee mug, painted glass ornaments, and baked lots of cookies and bread!

It turned out wonderfully!! I love the way my tree looks. My kitchen smells so good from the cinnamon. The gifts are great too. My family and neighbors are going to love them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  4:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Cox, (dawn5556 #4676) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I added to my bought buttons with old saved ones of my mother and husband.

The old buttons are more decorative and many belonged to grandmothers I never knew."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  4:02:54 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Cox, (dawn5556 #4676) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I used some of my collected buttons to make a necklace and added some to a small pine cone wreath.

I was pleased with my finished crafts but also enjoyed thinking about the woman who had first used these buttons."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  2:54:47 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Know Your Food badge.

"I have been in touch with my chapter members and have discussed costs and locations of local co-ops.

As of right now, my family cannot afford to join one, as it is a distance to travel.

We are very focused on chemical free food, and pretty much rely on what we grow and raise. We are too far out in the country to visit local bakeries and deli's on a regular basis, but we do make our own ricotta cheese during the summer. I have plans to make more varieties next summer.

We purchase local foods, mostly in the summer, but have found local butter that is driven in from the Amish (hormone free etc).

There is one organic farmer in our area, and we have visited his farm and interviewed him. We also purchased meat from him.

Not only did I borrow the book, "In Defense of Food," but read another book focused on which foods provide overall optimum health (Chef MD's Big Book of Culinary Medicine).

I offered free classes, but so far no takers. We are not in "big city" area and most people are not interested at this time."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2012 :  3:19:49 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I was able to get have been able to replace 5% of my planting with heirloom seeds.

I was finally able to get Gardening with Heirloom Seeds from the library... It was on back order for forever... LOL! It had a ton of great information as well as a lot of varieties for things that I have never heard of. I'm looking forward to finding Viroflay spinach... Its considered "Monster Spinach". And I had no idea that there are so many different colors for Nasturtiums. This book was well worth the time it took to get from the library.

I like the heirloom varieties much better for taste. I see why there are hybrids though... they can handle drought and disease better. But if handle properly the heirlooms produce well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2012 :  3:20:37 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I have been able to up my heirloom seeds to 25%.

I like that I have an option of varieties. Some of the varieties I had never even seen before at the garden center."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  1:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level BakeOver MakeOver badge!

“I've been having a ball trying out recipes for BakeOvers! It's an easy and fun way to throw veggies and some meat or cheese in a pot and come up with a meal that will last.

I made recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert and found that with the deep dish that I use for them, it's easier to not turn it over once it's done. The insides just fell over the sides when I did, so I quit doing it.

These have almost become my go-to meals now, because they give me lots of left-overs. When I put them in a smaller pot to reheat, it's like a pot pie or dumpling. I add water and heat it up and it becomes creamy and luscious.

I brought the recipes over to our Farmgirl Christmas party and Mary Ann, our head hen, posted info about them on our Facebook page.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2012 :  11:54:31 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts(Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Organic on a Budget badge!

"For the last month now, I have been using the bulk gluten-free Budget Mix that I got from Mary Jane for making lots of different items. I've made BakeOvers (my favorite,) a kuchen (cake,) a fold-over and some pies, to name a few.

For many years now I have shopped only the perimeter of my Kroger grocery store. I've been blessed to find free-range eggs, pastured chickens, grass-fed, grass-finished beef and dairy items, plus Heritage pork all in my local area, and I gladly support them.

My budget was flexible as to what I made, and I must say that the gluten-free flour is the best I've ever used. MaryJane was right about that!

I've had fun trying out recipes from the special edition magazine that MaryJane has, as well as from her Ideabook. The dessert I made was a BakeOver using the apples that I had canned last year. It doesn't get much better than that!"

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2012 :  12:12:44 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Organic on a Budget badge!

“My eating plan has continued with the gluten-free flour from Mary Jane's Farm. I have saved quite a bit by using this as a basis for my meals and have been enjoying my efforts.

All of the veggies that I eat now are mostly organic (as much as I can) and many of them are out of my own garden. Therefore I know exactly what is in and on them, and it's NOT chemicals.

Since I have been able to save some money on my grocery bills by doing this, I am going to indulge in one of my guilty pleasures and buy some more books. I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to books and I just love Amazon.com!

I even have a $10 coupon to use and I'm debating what I am going to get with it. I think it might be a book on gardening...”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2012 :  12:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Cox (Dawn5556], #4676) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge!

“I have crocheted in the past, but started over with a simple scarf done with single crochet stitch G hook and bulky yarn. I showed my granddaughter how to make one also.

Scarf turned out nice enough to give as a Christmas gift to one of my grandchildren.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2013 :  09:49:03 AM  Show Profile
"Deborah Cornett (DeborahLynn, #3980) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching Room for earning a beginner level Quilting badge!

“I finally learned how to quilt! I stitched together a quilted potholder. I cut out the triangles and stitched them together into squares. Then I stitched the squares in rows to form the front. Then I repurposed some old washclothes as batting and quilted it all together. Then I added the binding around the outside. I think it turned out great. I used pink and orange as my color scheme. Now I need to bake something so I can try it out.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page