Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  2:45:09 PM  Show Profile
Sandra Morris (SandraM, #4384) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I have 114 post as of today. I have signed up for blog hops and blog parties to network with other blogs, especially homestead farming blogs. I wanted to have at least 10 followers before I applied for the expert badge. It hit 14 today. I am really enjoying this. I wasn't sure if I would, but it has been a great outlet for me.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  2:51:46 PM  Show Profile
Sandra Morris (SandraM, #4384) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I have read several books on starting a farm business. I went through and made a business plan. Chose a business name and have started setting up shop. It has been a dream for a long time. We are now in the "doing" stages and it is very exciting.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  3:26:41 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Rocks & Minerals Merit Badge!

“For years, we have continued to study rocks and minerals. With 6 children to raise, it's not difficult to re-learn about rocks and minerals in our home. We find interesting rocks on our very own property all the time. We do not have a rock/mineral museum, but we have a historical museum we visit each year.

As we locate interesting rocks on our property, we go online and identify it as a family.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  4:01:13 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Ink Slinger Merit Badge!

“The first two chapters (more than 20 pages) of "Life Well Krafted" has been written! I read at least two books in my genre -- one about writing mysteries in general and the other about police procedures. I continue to write and find out what will happen!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  4:19:21 PM  Show Profile
Alison Bayne (MumtopianAlly, #4833) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“Put together a beginner’s sewing kit with a homemade pin keeper. Include:

o Several different colors of thread. I have a separate tin with a dozen spools of thread inside. I have also bought woolly nylon thread, which I have used when sewing stretch jersey.

o Buttons. I have a vintage tin of buttons which my son likes playing with. The tin is too big to fit in my sewing box, and has about 200 buttons inside.

o Scissors. I have some sewing scissors and pinking shears, both of which are only used for sewing.

o Needles. These are kept in a homemade needle case, which was one of the first things I ever made myself.

o Straight pins. Kept in my homemade pincushion. I made the pincushion about five years ago. I used some old blue jean material for the bottom and the material from one of my son’s baby vests for the top. It feels like an heirloom even though it is very simple.

o Safety pins. I didn’t have any of these so I bought some on Ebay.

o Also to be found in my sewing kit are a quick unpicker, a tape measure, embroidery threads, a darning mushroom which I have yet to use, elastic, and balls of fabric ready to make a rag rug.

I have been assembling a workbox for the past five years, but without any guidelines. Working towards this badge has made me tidy up and organise all my sewing things, and realise that there are some I have yet to use. This made me want to look into learning new skills such as embroidery and darning. It is also much easier to find everything now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  4:28:02 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Rocks & Minerals Merit Badge!

“During a visit to our historical days event, a tent was handing out rock/mineral samples, labeled in bags, and free charts.

After using this for learning purposes, we donated all them to the local school (science teacher).

However, I still keep a piece of coal that was from my great-grandmother's home. They heated with coal, and my father had kept it. I use it to talk to my kids about our family history.

Another rock I keep, is a rock that hubby and I found on the island shore. Rocks are often washed up, and have very smooth edges, on the side we stayed at. One rock contained a fossil, and we brought it home to remember our romantic, and relaxing getaway. I included a photo of both, along with some beach glass we kept.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  4:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Heather Smith (hsmith, #4844) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I make my own laundry detergent and other cleaners. I also use Seventh Generation dish soap. Our household has been green for almost 6 months. My mom wanted to start being green by making her own detergent. I made her first batch, and taught her how to make it. I also blogged how to make the detergent on my blog: http://www.theshomestead.blogspot.com

I Love my detergent. My clothes are clean and fresh. I like that I don’t have to worry about all of the chemicals. I also like that I know exactly what is in my cleaners and know they are safe.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  4:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Heather Smith (hsmith, #4844) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have a good collection of reusable bags for shopping. I have been using them for about six months now. I shop at Whole Foods and Target. Both of these stores give discounts for using reusable bags.

I love it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  2:33:26 PM  Show Profile
Heather Smith (hsmith, #4844) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have a book that I have used to make several of my cleaners: “The Naturally Clean Home” by Karyn Siegel-Maier. I also make my own homemade laundry detergent and cleaners. The detergent I posted how to make on my blog: http://www.theshomestead.blogspot.com

I love my detergent and cleaners. It is nice to know exactly what is in your cleaners. My son has allergies and asthma so I have to be real careful with the things I use to clean my house with.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  2:42:16 PM  Show Profile
Heather Smith (hsmith, #4844) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I know how to dry herbs and spices. I have created the spice blends. My favorite is taco seasoning. I made one for a sick friend and made her some taco soup with the same seasoning.

I enjoy making the spice blends because I know exactly what is in them. No surprises.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  2:45:29 PM  Show Profile
Heather Smith (hsmith, #4844) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I know how to can a lot of things. I have canned jellies, preserves, peaches, green beans, potatoes, pizza sauce, tomato puree, salsa, chicken stock, etc. I use the tomato puree just like tomato sauce. I use the chicken stock for the basis for soup and stews. I also pickle eggs, okra, pickles, etc.

I like knowing how to put up my own things. I know exactly what is in them. It also makes for quick meals. I have included a picture of some of canned goods.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  2:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Heather Smith (hsmith, #4844) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I know how to make beef jerky, elk jerky, deer jerky. My husband and sons hunt a lot. My mom and I host canning parties every summer. My sister-in-law usually comes. This year I will be teaching my best friend how to can and put up her vegetables and meat. I like doing this because we always have a lot of meat from my boys hunting trips”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  3:59:33 PM  Show Profile
Breanna Helgesen (Breanna, #2507) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“For the month of January, I made a goal to do a workout video at least 5 days a week. At first it was really hard, but after the first few weeks I started to enjoy it! I only missed a few days from sickness, but I made them up by exercising 6 days instead of 5.

My body feels so much stronger, especially my core. I'm still working out daily, slowly progressing to more difficult levels. It also has improved my horseback riding!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  4:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have accumulated a couple dozen bags that I keep in my car and purse. I use them all the time. Once I started using the bags, I just committed myself to establishing the habit of carrying them with me. I love that I often get 5 cents off my bill for each bag I'm using. It just makes good sense.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  4:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have read several books about non toxic cleaners for the house and have experimented with quite a few recipes. Most of the cleaning and laundry products I now use are ones that I make from simple ingredients.

My family can't tell the difference in effectiveness and appreciate my efforts. I have also taught a community education class about this.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  4:21:19 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Since we moved to this house just two years ago, I was forced to research and learn about recycling in this area. We recycle quite a bit and all of us love it. We pay per bag of trash, so every bit we recycle is less that we have to pay for.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  4:25:37 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have a system that works for us, but it does force us to keep up with it and not let it stack up. The way we deal with our recycling continues to evolve as we get better at it throughout the years. We save money and are better stewards for our planet.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  2:56:22 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“When we moved to this community I soon discovered that chickens weren't allowed. I was so disappointed. I researched not only this community, but communities all over the country who have addressed the issue of city chickens with the city council.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  3:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“I started attending board meeting and started presenting positive information about having chickens in the city. I spent a great deal of time talking with people and providing accurate information. I was interviewed by the local papers. We finally got permission to have chickens!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  3:42:36 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“Three years ago two of us got together and had a party for the beginnings of the Dandelion Farmgirl Chapter in Michigan. We took pictures and it was great fun.

We are still meeting and still growing in numerous way. I don't know what I would do without my Farmgirl friends.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  3:46:41 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“I did the a little bit backwards. When we moved to our current home, I didn't hear from any of the neighbors. So I went to them with a plate of cookies, and interesting information about a variety of things, including my upcoming daughters graduation party that would also be hosting a band.

People were so surprised with my reverse hospitality and welcome to the neighborhood. Two families came to the graduation party.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  3:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“I handed out information at a small community farmer's market. It was great fun talking with people. We got a couple of permanent recruits too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  3:57:27 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I've started a soap business -- goat's milk, herbs and wonderful essential oils. It's called: The Gingham Chicken. I also teach classes on how to make soap. People are enjoying my soaps and I'm getting some good comments.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  4:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I have and continue to do research. I even went to soap making school in northern Michigan. Another farmgirl created my logo chicken and I have great business cards. Bit by bit all the pieces contiue to come together. What a great adventure.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  4:04:32 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“The Gingham Chicken has hatched and I have great opportunities here and there. I love the creative business aspect. I have bartered with other Farmgirls and friends. One of the benefits of our poor economy is that people, especially women are eager to help one another.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page