Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  4:05:21 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4109) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I researched grey water, which is dish water, shower water, and laundry water that can be used for watering gardens, or flushing toilets by collecting the water into containers. I placed a rain barrel at the back corner of my house to collect water for my garden and my patio plants. This has worked out very well. I will be placing more barrels at my chicken coop and at my garage.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  4:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4109) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I calculated my water usage for a month. To lower our water usage we replaced our old toilet with a new energy saving one. Started taking shorter showers, and starting using quick wash cycle on my washing machine. The water we save on just the toilet is amazing.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  4:39:17 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4109) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I earned my badge by having a bicycle repair day at our house. We live in the country but six of our grandchildren live on our farm. So I invited them all to bring their bikes over, we checked the air in their tires and we oiled all their chains. We talked about why they should wear helmets, and the kids really enjoyed themselves and so did I.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  4:44:01 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4109) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“I earned this badge by playing games with my granddaughter when she stays the night with us. We play Sorry, Dominoes, Chutes and Ladders, and Candyland. She reads to me from her books and I read to her Bible stories. We both enjoy this time together so much.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  4:47:10 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4109) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“I kept a journal of TV time in our house. Morning and night time news and weather are our main programs. No children live here. My husband is an over-the-road truck driver. My time is spent taking care of animals, we have cows and goats. Sewing, gardening, yard work and reading. When my husband is home he catches up on farm work and rest. TV time only averages between 20-25 hours a week. Keeping a farm takes a lot of time, so not a lot of time for TV.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  4:48:58 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4109) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“I spent a weekend outdoors. We loaded up the boat and spent two days at the lake on our pontoon. We took our coolers with food and drinks, sunscreen and blankets when the night air turned cool and to help ward off mosquitoes. We found new places to go and things to do. We picked wild blackberries, went to a museum and a historic village. We visited a pumpkin patch and a Christmas tree farm. We had so much fun and plan on doing more this coming summer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  4:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have two recycling centers. One is north of us in the city of Lynchburg. There they take plastic, newspaper, cardboard, and aluminum. The other one is south of us in Danville. They also take plastic, newspaper, aluminum, cardboard and glass. I'm glad that I have two choices as to where I can take my recycles goods”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  4:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have been recycling for awhile....I have a blue bin in our mudroom that I put all our plastic, and glass. I keep a box that holds all our newspaper and cardboard. On Sundays after church, we drop everything off at the recycle center. When I go shopping I use my own reuseable bags. If I do get plastic bags I save them and deposit them in the return bins at the stores. For mail and paper we have a burn can out by the garden that we burn when full and add the ashes to the compost pit.

We reduced our trash to three bags a month. I feel good knowing I'm doing my part to help reduced the amount of trash that goes in the landfills. ”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  4:32:51 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“Growing up on a farm with cows we did a lot of milking. I learned very early how to milk and keep it clean in the process, then how to strain, put in jars and refrigerate.

My mom taught me how to make buttermilk, cottage cheese, and butter. Yogurt was pretty much unheard of then so that is not something we pursued making.

When my hubby and I, with our children moved back to Colorado and the farm, from Arizona we lived in a house where we took care of cows, mostly jerseys, but some Guernseys as well.

Since I had never made yogurt in all these years of milking and processing milk that is what I chose to do. We don't have animals that we can milk but my neighbor is milking goats. I obtained some fresh goat milk from her and made some yummy, fresh, goat milk yogurt.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  4:35:46 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“When my hubby and I moved back to Colorado from Arizona we were taking care of cows.
I was able to milk jersey and Guernsey cows and started making all kinds of things with it. I decided I needed to learn to make cheese so I obtained rennet and the cheese mold equipment and learned now to use it all.

We enjoyed cheddar cheese in varying stages of cure from mild to sharp.

Just in the past year we were able to obtain fresh cows milk and were able to start making cheddar style cheeses again. Yummmmm!!!!

If we ever have another milking animal or easy access to fresh milk we'll probably make another batch soon. Our most recent source is no longer available. We own Longhorn cattle but they are not milk cows!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  4:52:17 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“I spent over 20 hours helping my daughter and son-in-law do work at their new home. We cut down trees and stacked wood for their fireplace for this fall. We then burned off about 2 acres so grass can start growing for their 3 horses to eat. We also built a raise bed and planted potatoes, strawberries, and tomatoes. In another area we planted raspberries and blackberries. In front of the house we planted hostas. Irises, yucca plants and forsythia bushes. My daughter loves the farm life and can't wait to do more things around her farm.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  4:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Simpson (jennykae, #4885) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“Everyday I wrote down something I was grateful for that day. It was easy at first and then after a week I had to think a little harder since I couldn't repeat the same thing. I found it really wasn't that hard though because I knew I had to sit each night to do this, so I would look and think all day of things I was grateful for. Some days there were many things I wanted (and did) wrote down. I loved doing this. I did this on my computer and then after the month I printed it out and put it in my journal.

I also read The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha. It was quite fun. I had a lot of yes moments and laughing with what he said.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  4:15:38 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Simpson (jennykae, #4885) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“First I bought a book called Birds of North America Western Region from Dorling Kindersley. I read that and then I made a list of all the birds I thought were in this area that I could identify and see. The maps in this book show the areas each bird lives in.

This has been so fun. I have never really known exactly what birds are called. I kind of knew most of them. I live in a rural area so I have lots of birds around. I have quail that have been living on our place, but I didn't know for sure what kind of quail they were. Now I know (California quail). I didn't think I'd get to see the owl I knew lived around here till it warmed up enough to be out at night, but one day I was outside and he/she flew down over my head and over the pasture and down into the big trees. Now my goal it to get a better look at it and figure out what kind it is. I am very excited for the next 2 levels.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  4:19:01 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Simpson (jennykae, #4885) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“First of all I figured out what herbs I like to eat then which ones I already had growing. I figured out what I can us them for.

I used chives in mashed potatoes and in scrambled eggs and breakfast burritos. I have to think about and remember to use these.

I'm already working on the next level. I bought some new fun ones to try also. Just a little longer and I can start harvesting to dry some to share.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  4:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Christina Marsden (#4411) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“We love Granola bars. I decided to make my own. Since then I haven't bought them as much. Homemade is always better. I found a great recipe on www.Naturalmommie.com I made them and we loved them. Kids enjoyed them as much as I did.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  5:20:40 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I planted five herbs in flower pots. I have looked up the medicinal and culinary uses of each.
Cinnamon Basil: Medicinal uses- One of the main compounds in Basil, (E)-beta-caryophyllene, offers anti-inflammatory properties similar to those found in Oregano. It also helps fight bowel inflammation and rheumatoid arthritis. It is used to treat respiratory disorders, allergies, diabetes, colds and flu, herpes virus, and infertility. It is believed to be effective at fighting off free radicals which cause damage at the cellular level. It is even used in the treatment of some cancers. It boosts the immune system and relieves common skin ailments. It is anti-bacterial and anti-viral. Used in herbal form as a poultice or tea (infusion), it is best to use fresh leaves rather than dried. Cinnamon Basil’s medicinal properties are more potent when used in the form of an extract or oil.

Culinary uses- A common ingredient in Italian dishes, Basil is also used in Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese cooking. It is used to flavor soups and stews, meat and poultry, and even drinks and desserts. Cinnamon Basil pairs exceptionally well with fruits. Gardeners plant cinnamon basil close to their tomato plants in the garden to discourage bugs from damaging the tomato plants? It’s true that cinnamon basil, when planted near tomatoes, not only enhances the flavor of the tomato but also repels mosquitoes and white flies. It also will enhance the growth of asparagus and roses while protecting these plants from some insects. Rub its leaves on your skin or grow it in containers on your patio to help repel mosquitoes. You can also place fresh sprigs on top of food containers to keep flies from landing at picnics.

Oregano: Medicinal uses- Oregano is used for respiratory tract disorders such as coughs, asthma, croup, and bronchitis. It is also used for gastrointestinal (GI) disorders such as heartburn and bloating. Other uses include treating menstrual cramps, rheumatoid arthritis, urinary tract disorders including urinary tract infections (UTIs), headaches, and heart conditions.

Culinary uses- Oregano has become an essential ingredient in many Italian dishes including pizza, pastas, and roasted vegetables. Oregano paired with basil are the basis for many Italian seasonings. It is also widely used in Greek and Mexican cooking. As the main herb flavoring in chili powder, oregano holds up well in a mix with other flavors. The Greeks enjoy oregano in baked fish and it is the main flavoring in Greek salad. Try adding sprigs of oregano on the coals of a grill for a flavor infusion to whatever you are cooking on top. Oregano's rich flavor also deepens and melds flavors of soups and sauces without overwhelming the dish. Oregano can be used either fresh or dried. When using the fresh herb, use twice the amount as dried. Infuse bathwater with oregano for a relaxing soak. Oregano is also used in potpourri and pillows. Fresh oregano tightly sealed in a plastic bag will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Cilantro(Coriander):Medicinal uses- Coriander is considered an aid to the digestive system. It is an appetite stimulant and aids in the secretion of gastric juices. A poultice of Coriander seed can be applied externally to relieve painful joints and rheumatism. The essential oils of the cilantro leaves contain antibacterial properties and can be used as a fungicide. Coriander seeds are considered to have cholesterol lowering properties

Culinary Uses - Best known for its addition to Mexican and Asian foods, cilantro has many applications across the epicurean spectrum. It is essential to Mexican salsas, Chinese dim sum, Indian curries and Thai cuisine. Mexicans combine cilantro, garlic, chilies and lime juice to create a marinade for fish, chicken and vegetables. It also pairs well with avocado, coconut milk, corn, cucumbers, seafood, legumes, lemons, and rice. Try using cilantro with the following herbs and spices: garlic, basil, chili, chives, dill, ginger, lemon grass, mint and parsley. Like basil, cilantro also turns black when cooked in an acid medium such as tomato sauce. It is used whole, shredded, chopped or minced in cooking. Cilantro bruises easy so handle with care. Because cilantro’s leaves are so delicate it does not dry well and is best used fresh.

Apple Mint: Medicinal uses- Mint leaves are said to relive the pain caused by bee and wasp stings. Medicinally, Mint's traditional uses include treating stomach ache and chest pains. Powdered mint leaves were used to whiten teeth during the middle ages. Mint tea is a strong diuretic and aids in digestion. It is also used to treat insect bites (often along with camphor). Mint has been used in cigarettes as an additive because it blocks out the bitter taste of tobacco and soothes the throat. The scent and the strong flavor of Mint can be used as a mild decongestant when you have something like a common cold. A tea made from the leaves of most mint species has traditionally been used in the treatment of fevers, headaches, digestive disorders and various minor ailments. The leaves are harvested as the plant comes into flower and can be dried for later use. The essential oil in the leaves is antiseptic, though it can be toxic in large doses.

Culinary Uses- Apple mint has a pleasant, fruity taste, sweeter than other mints. Mainly popular for culinary purposes, its milder taste makes it ideal for use in fruit salads and fruit cups and punches. The leaves of the Apple mint or Pineapple mint plant can be used to make mint tea or mint jelly, in salads and added to beverages like lemonade and black tea. It can also be used to flavor syrups and ice cream. This herb has a very pleasant warm, sweet taste with a cool aftertaste and is very aromatic and makes an attractive garnish. In Middle Eastern cuisine, mint is used on lamb dishes, while in British cuisine and American cuisine, mint sauce and mint jelly are used, respectively. Mint essential oil and menthol are extensively used as flavorings in breath fresheners, drinks, antiseptic mouth rinses, toothpaste, chewing gum, desserts, candies, and mint chocolate.

Chocolate Mint
Medicinal uses- Mint is said and in many cases proven to relieve symptoms of indigestion, heartburn and irritable bowel syndrome by relaxing the muscles in and around the intestine. It acts as a powerful antioxidant, protecting the body against the formation of cancerous cells. It can inhibit the growth of many different types of bacteria and fungus. Mint eases and unblocks the breathing and respiratory passages and airways, relieves the symptoms of colds and flu. Mint can help with nasal allergies. It can relieve congestion, head colds and headaches and act as a mild sedative and has calming properties. It relieve minor aches and pains such as muscle cramps and sprains, combats bad breath, provides a cooling sensation to the skin and can help to treat minor burns, itching and skin irritations. Mint is a very good cleanser for the blood. Mint tea can help clear up skin disorders such as acne.

Culinary Uses - Chocolate mint is one of the most popular varieties of mint, and is often used to flavor desserts, ice cream, cold beverages, coffee, hot chocolate, and tea. Besides adding zest and brightness to dishes, it also provides a subtle cocoa flavor and aroma making it quite an interesting addition to ordinary recipes that call for mint. Chocolate mint is wonderful to add in chocolate shakes and chocolate sauce. It can also be added to cream and stews. For an extraordinary Mojito that can take the place of a dessert, use chocolate mint instead of the usual spearmint or peppermint. Simply combine rum, club soda, soda water, liquid sugar, lime, and chocolate mint to make an amazing drink. Another popular drink that can use some chocolate mint is Mint Julep, which originates in the southern part of the United States. To make a sumptuous mint julep, simply dissolve sugar in water, add bourbons, crushed ice, and sprigs of chocolate mint for a wonderfully refreshing cocktail.

It is nice to have fresh herbs available right outside my doors.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  5:24:21 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I have cleaned my house of all non-green products for my cleaning chores throughout the house with either green products or ones I make from green/natural recipes I have found in books, mags, or the internet.
I have created a journal where I keep all the recipes, green project ideas and the plans I have for continuing. I have in this journal my mission statement as well.

The results have been both fun and rewarding. Getting away from so many harmful elements has helped my home even smell clean and fresher than before. I am more keenly aware of the unusual gases and smells than before when I enter a home without the green mindset. After a year plus of the process, I can with a clear mind and heart apply for this badge now. Not just for the sake of a badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  5:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have not used any commercial cleaner on my floors since we moved in. I mop with a steam cleaner. I also have been using a solution of castile soap and water for my all purpose cleaner.

I became more desiring to use products I make myself. The results are as good if not better than prods I can buy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  5:36:25 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“There are only two places we can take things for recycling. Both take beverage cans and one of the two takes cardboard. We also take any plastic bags we get to Wal-Mart and drop them in their recycle box for bags. There is not any curbside recycling here in the valley outside the city limits, and inside, the city has two days a year they will pick up large items such as washers etc.

We have come up with ideas as to our newspapers and donate many items that can be repaired to a local charity that fixes and resells them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  5:47:56 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“Over the years I have collected most everything I need and a few things I don't need. One of the things I finally got rid of is my bread machine. It takes up a lot of space and we are not big bread eaters, so I don't make that much bread. I have a mixer that can do what I need, and I am still capable of needing my dough myself. I am learning to make cheese though which means I need a cheese press, for hard cheeses anyway. I looked online and found the prices to be crazy for a machine that is so simple, so I designed and fabricated my own.

My cheese press is made of cherry and walnut (remnants at the lumber store), some all thread, springs, nuts, washers, and four glass drawer pulls for feet. I rubbed the wood down with coconut oil as it's a solid at room temperature, and know that with care and time, the wood will develop a well loved patina. I am glad I decided to get rid of the bread machine as it cleared a huge space in my pantry for other items I use more often. (That's gouda in the press)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  5:51:22 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“Some time ago my grandfather gave me a portable knife sharpener rod that he used to take fishing. It's pretty old and doesn't sharpen so well anymore, but it means a lot to me. My kitchen knives were getting pretty dull. I was having a hard time cutting through the tomato skins, so I got a full size knife sharpener and started practicing sharpening my blades. Each time I use my knives, I clean them, then sharpen them before putting them away. Tomatoes are no match for me now.

My knives have become easy to use again. It seems that we sometimes get so busy with our daily routine that we don't do some of the small but important jobs in an effort to save a little time. I have been reminded that taking a moment to do these little jobs is time well spent so that we do not have to deal with the aggravation that not doing them can sometimes bring. I have been sharpening them for nearly a month now and have to watch my fingers closely lest I slice one.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  5:56:07 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I am a second grade teacher with children that speak the Spanish language. I have been learning Spanish from my students this year. I have learned to count to ten, say hello(hola), good bye(adiós), thank you(gracias),good day(Buenos días)and how are you(cómo está).

My Spanish students like to hear me say words in their language. It always brings a smile to their faces.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  6:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I researched our courthouse in Carthage, Missouri. It is one of the oldest buildings in our area. Jasper County's first courthouse, a one-story building on the north side of the square in Carthage, was built by Levi H. Jenkins for $398.50. He completed the building June 29, 1842.

The square also was the site of the next courthouse. Plans were presented to the court in July 1849 by John R. Chenault, superintendent. He was allowed $15 for the plans and specifications, which were furnished by S. W. Walcott; however, the order was rescinded Nov. 28. Gabriel Johnson then built the courthouse; the record is not clear about whether Walcott's or Johnson's plans were used. Costs of the two-story, brick building came to $4,760. The first story was used for Circuit Court room and offices, the second story for jail and offices. The courthouse was completed July 10, 1854. Used as a hospital during the Civil War, it was destroyed by fire in October 1863.

For the next 30 years the court moved into a number of temporary quarters: a school, a remodeled jail, a two-story building on the west side of the square and a Baptist church converted for the court's use.
Officials took steps in 1891 toward building two courthouses, one, a joint Carthage-Jasper County project costing $100,000, the other, a special $20,000 project at Joplin for holding Circuit Court. This did not materialize because Webb City residents, who had not approved of the proposition, challenged the election on the basis of a technicality in the voting procedure. The protest ended in the Supreme Court, where the decision required that the issue be resubmitted to the people. In May 1893 the tax funding the building again received an affirmative vote.

The city and county shared costs equally for the $100,000 Carthage courthouse, and the city was to be granted the use of not less than four rooms. Officials accepted the plans of architect M. A. Orlopp, residing in New Orleans at that time, for a 106-by-133-foot building constructed of native Carthage stone.

The large appropriation and opportunity to bid on two courthouses at the same time attracted at least 16 architects, some with national reputations. According to the Carthage Press, Orlopp had built 10 or 12 courthouses, the most notable in Dallas, Texas, and New Orleans, Louisiana, both costing several times Jasper County's appropriation. L. W. Divelbiss, Olathe, Kansas, submitted the low bid for Jasper County's courthouse of $91,600.

The cornerstone was laid Aug. 21, 1894. However, a strained relationship had developed between the architect and the court-appointed superintendent of construction, Nelson L. Damon. The dispute spread to the community, creating factions and resentment. Construction proceeded at such a slow pace the townspeople became impatient, then angry. At the height of tension one group called for Orlopp's dismissal. Damon had reservations about Orlopp's specifications; Orlopp did not trust Damon's judgment and threatened to resign if Damon continued to represent the court. The newspapers carried accounts of the dispute, quoting both sides, but generally sympathetic to Damon.

In spite of the problems of conflicting personalities and questions of judgment, the building was dedicated Oct. 9, 1895. The courthouse, one of Missouri's finest, has remained a source of pride for Jasper County ever since. It is now included on the National Register of Historic Places.

Many people travel through our area just to visit our courthouse. I will be posting pictures of the inside of the courthouse on my blog as soon as I can. http://countrygirlforever-deborah.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  6:11:09 PM  Show Profile
Chevelle Marsden (Mentoring Sister #4411) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have just over 50 buttons collected. I like my buttons with anchors on them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  1:08:34 PM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for completing an intermediate Level "Sew Wonderful" Merit Badge!

"While wading through the requirements for my Sew Wonderful badge, I got a little stuck. Well, more than a little stuck. It had to do with the sewing machine ..."

Earn an intermediate Level "Sew Wonderful" Merit Badge with MBA Jane here: www.raisingjane.org/journal/13039

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page