Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  1:34:28 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit (JessieMae, #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge!

I drove around Saint Johns, Lansing, and Ovid, Michigan, and took pictures of the horses I saw. Then I created a Facebook album of the pictures http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=49278&id=1390072631 and did my best to identify the ones I had photographed. I also met two Pasa Finos for myself: Milagro and Capistrano.

I did my best to identify the horses I photographed, but I'm pretty sure I was wrong on a few. It's hard to identify horses from pictures after-the-fact, using a website for reference!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  1:54:40 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit (JessieMae, #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand to Farm Families badge!

"I volunteered my time to work at the nation's oldest operating mint farm, the Crosby Mint Farm in Saint Johns, Michigan. Because the farm was in foreclosure when I contacted them, my primary assignment was to work on an aggressive letter-writing campaign and work to spread the word about the foreclosure. I also worked at the farm store, worked on the farm's website, sold mint oil at a stand outside my house during the annual Mint Festival, and volunteered to work at the Mint Jam Farm Festival.

Very sad. The farm was foreclosed on, Peppermint Jim was evicted from the farm, and the farm was broken into two parcels and auctioned off on December 10, 2009."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  2:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Marsha Jaramillo (Marjean, #308) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge!

"Thanks to our farmgirls getting together to complete our badges, helped give me the confidence I needed to make my first apron, ever.

I used a half apron that I already had and asked a friend for some tips about the waistband. After, choosing my fabric I sat down and put it together. It was easy as pie and turned out just cute as can be. Now, I'm hooked and ready to move on to the next level."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  2:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Devlin (Cherrypie, #225) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge!

"I've had a compost pile going since last spring. It has been especially important since getting my chickens. I need to set up bin number two because this one is getting full. The compost is a "cold compost" system so it should be ready to go into this spring's garden shortly.

So far, so good! It gets a little tricky during warm weather, so I'm going to do more to monitor the "health" of my pile this year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  4:26:26 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge!

"By making "I Spy" quilts. I fell in love with these sweet little quilts and decided to try my hand at them. I ended up making 5 now so far. I am giving them to all the children in my family. I learned different binding techniques, and I am hand tying to keep them together. There is a map of the USA on the back so I didn't want to do regular quilting. I used an all cotton batting. I will be making many more for gifts.

I love the way they turned out. A few were a little hard to line up the rows because a few of the fabric squares seemed to stretch a bit more. Overall it is a hit though. The regular size quilt has 88 squares and takes me about two days to complete. I am hooked!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  4:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"I purchased reusable bags and have been using them for groceries. I need to remember to also take them every where I go like the fabric store and the farm supply place. I also found patterns to make cheese cloth veggie and fruit bags. No more plastic!

Going well. I hope to make reusable bread bags out of cloth and sandwich wraps... it has sparked so much more."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  4:51:14 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge!

"Well, I think we are part beginner and part intermediate. I did not read the book yet but we have been on eatwild.com many times now. We not only purchased a half a steer ourselves but we got 4 other families to do the same. They are organic grass-fed cows living in upper PA breathing the fresh mountain air. We helped four other families by leading them to this farmer and even picking up their orders for them(we love visiting the farmer) on 12/5/2009.

It turned out great for all of us. We did have to change our way of cooking though. The grass-fed beef is lower in fat and doesn't take as long to cook. The chickens we got are sooo good too and too big for the crockpot even though they are not fed antibiotics, free range, and are not the genetically altered cornish rock.
I attached a photo of one of the babies at the farm."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  09:34:05 AM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"We purchased 7 chickens in March. We bought heritage breeds to support the old breeds so they don't die out. We raised them in my daughters room till they where 5 weeks old. My husband built a coop at his mom's because we live in a township that doesn't allow them. We started feeding them organic feed. They are doing great. We share the eggs with my in-laws who have also become attached to "the girls".

Out of our flock one ended up being a rooster which we had to give to a neighboring farm. One died a few weeks ago. So now we have 5 very productive layers. The chickens are what actually got me interested in joining the sisterhood."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  09:15:47 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (KMop, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"I made my own canvas and ticking shopping bags. I use them all the time. Some of our supermarkets require your own bags, or you have to purchase them.

It has worked great, I really hate those plastic bags."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  09:37:40 AM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge!

"I have been knitting for awhile, but I've never followed a pattern! I tried this simple dishcloth that has hearts on it. It took me awhile to get the hang of following a pattern, but after many, many hours, I did it!

I was very pleased with it and got very excited about my new skill!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  09:53:22 AM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Knitting badge!

"After finishing my beginner dishcloth, I wanted to try something harder. Even though it's another dishcloth, it did require more time for me than I had ever done before. It seems ridiculous that I spent so much time on this first dishcloth, but it did require me going and finding assistance at a local knitting shop where I knitted and learned and relearned the trinity stitch for awhile in the company of others. I knitted while my husband drove us on vacation and my daughter knitted with me at home and I knitted the silly dishcloth till I finished it! It seemed like an eternity of knitting, ripping out, losing count, finding count etc. :)

It turned out great! After I completed it, I was addicted to this stitch and decided to make more for Christmas gifts! Everyone loved them! Now I feel ready to try even harder projects!!! Woo-hoo!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  10:04:45 AM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge!

"I taught myself how to crochet a couple of years ago, but I hadn't ever really done anything with it. I decided to make a baby blanket for my niece. Little did I know it would take me a whole year to complete it!

I really loved how it turned out. At the very last minute (a few days before her birthday)I decided to try the shells to make a ruffle. It turned out so cute!!! My sister-in-law was so excited when my niece opened the gift. It's now her new favorite naptime blanket!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  10:17:32 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Montgomery (Lizzie, #725) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge!

"There are a few horse farms in my town. On a cold winter day I went for a walk and on my return home went by a horse stable. There were 3 horses. Two were the same breed and the other was different. I particularly liked the two of the same breed. I believe they were suffolk punch horses (after a little research)! My husband and I walked up to the fence and so did the horses. We got to see them up close and personal. We pet them and they were very friendly. One of them licked my husbands hand. They were huge, but gentle. It was an enjoyable experience."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  11:58:27 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Devlin (Cherrypie, #225) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge!

"Well, I hope this counts for the badge. I started a farmgirl chapter and hosted the first meeting in my home. I advertised on Craigslist for members and promoted the event on a blog and the MJF forums. It was a wonderful day and I met some amazing and talented women.

I think everyone had a good time and we're going to have another get-together in February. It was so nice talking and laughing with other farmgirls. We felt like old friends. We were having so much fun, I forgot to take many pictures, but here's one of the teacups for the party."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  12:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge!

"Well, I have no choice but to look at horses all the time because my daughter loves them. I love to see the Paint horses. My daughter has been riding for 7 years but today we went for a trail ride together. A little hard since I haven't been on a horse in about 20 years. We took an hour and half ride and helped groom the horses.

I'll be a little sore for a few days but it made my daughter smile and helped me earn my badge too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  12:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Linda Stark (rhinomom, #237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge!

"I was chaperoning a class at school and they were learning how to crochet and I had to give it a try. So I started with a chain and then learned to work in a double crochet for the next rows. In the end making a dish cloth. It took me about 2 hours total.

It turned out great and I can actually use it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  12:33:25 PM  Show Profile
Emma Keely (Farmette of Stacy Keely) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge!

"I have spent countless hours reading about horses. I love them. I have ridden for 7 years but today was my first time riding western. I was very happy my mom rode with me.

My horse was stubborn so next I will pick a different horse."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  12:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge!

"I wrote up my plan for my business. I even have a name but now I have to find out all the legal stuff that goes along with that. I am an artist and I really need to set goals of producing items to sell on a monthly basis. I signed up for an etsy account. I am so inspired by so many moms on the internet like me writing books, making items to sell, and producing things on their farms to sell that I know I can do it too.

I included a picture of one of my altered boxes that I sold at Christmas. They are one of the items that I make custom."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  12:56:56 PM  Show Profile
Irene Mele (#1027) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"I just joined the Sisterhood and I already have 6 cloth shopping bags that I use when I go grocery shopping and have for awhile.

I love it. The cloth bags don't break like the plastic and paper bags do as they are stronger. The stores also thank me when I use them, especially at Trader Joe's. I feel better when I use them because I know I have saved a tree each time. I feel in my own little way that I have done my part to help save our forests and clean air."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  10:02:54 AM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"I inherited approximately 200 buttons from my mother-in-law that she had inherited from her mother. She used to make button dolls but no longer does. I use the buttons when I craft my daughters shirts and coordinating bows. There are some really neat ones!

I am excited to apply for the next level after making a bracelet. Sounds like fun! I am also inspired to make a notebook like one I saw in Target. It was covered with fabric with buttons sewn randomly on top. It was very crafty and fun!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  10:32:32 AM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge!

"I had the itch to "redecorate" the house. With funds not in the budget, I decided to host a Favorite Things Swap. I invited 20 of my girlfriends through the online e-vite system to bring 2-3 items from their home that they no longer wanted. They each got a draw number for 3 rounds of picking. Everything that was left was free for the choosing, or was donated to the Good Will. We had so much fun!

There was a huge turnout. I purged approximately 20 items from picture frames, to quilts, glass baby bottles, monitors, kitchen appliances and traded for 3 new vases, a table runner, and a wooden rocking horse for my kids. It was an awesome trade!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  10:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"We own 5 chickens. 2 Plymouth Rock Chickens and 3 Barred Rock Reds. There names are Martha, Daisy, Clarabel, Greta, and Henrietta. (I know!) We yield approximately 6-12 eggs per week. We feed them organic chicken scratch and lay mash. We also enjoy feeding them scraps from the kitchen. We recently inherited 2 Mammoth Donkeys that are grazing on the lower 1/2 of our 5 acres to help aid in weed control/fire protection and poison oak control."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  10:46:38 AM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge!

"I absolutely loved the book The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I read it 2 summers ago as it was recommended by my local librarian. I watched the trailer, and found it very informative. I have planted lavender, marigolds(not in season right now), zinnias(we have volunteers that come back every year!) roses, mint, butterfly bushes (and I shared some with friends), and I plan on planting more in the spring! Yeah bees!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  10:57:33 AM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge!

"I started a card design called Heartpressed Designs where I design holiday cards, baby announcements, birthday invitations, bridal shower invitations, or whatever my client can dream up!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  10:58:28 AM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge!

"Since college, I have been designing and creating my own cards. Finally, this year, I was paid for my efforts. I started a card design called Heartpressed Designs where I design holiday cards, baby announcements, birthday invitations, bridal shower invitations, or whatever my client can dream up! I charge a flat design fee of $25. The client prints where ever they choose...from home, a local printer, or a large chain. They have total control."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page