Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  12:30:46 PM  Show Profile
Emily Rose Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I began my collection of recyclable bags in June, although my love for them as been lifelong. At our June Farmgirl Sisterhood meeting, I organized a recyclable bag swap, as using reusable bags was already a part of my lifestyle. All the ladies who attended got a "new to them" reusable bag from a sister. Since then, I have committed to using ONLY reusable bags on all my shopping trips. Meaning, If I forget my bag, the purchased items go directly in the car, bag-less.

I love this habit! I always have bags with me, including a small fold-up one in my purse. I use these bags at the library, when sending things to school with my kids, for donations, for party supplies, etc. I don't just use them for shopping. We used to have a hugs supply of plastic bags from the store under our sink. Int he past 6 months we have run out completely and have no use for plastic bags at home anymore.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  12:35:40 PM  Show Profile
Emily Rose Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I always have an herb garden. I prefer herbs that come back year after year, bigger and better than the last. I make them for cooking with, although in the past I didn't use the herbs as much as I should. So, I began researching more uses for my herbs besides cooking with them.

I love having an herb garden and knowing the uses for these common herbs!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  12:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Emily Rose Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“After I learned some of the uses for my herbs besides cooking with them, I started my herb garden. I planted an the following: basil, thyme,winter and summer savory, garlic chives, chocolate mint, orange mint, spearmint, peppermint, garden sage, purple sage, lavender, dill, cilantro, marjoram, lemon verbena, oregano, hibiscus and others. I use lavender and sage for relaxation, many of the herbs above for making spice blends, and have found other uses as well.

I LOVE my herb garden! I even keep a few pots right by my back door with basil, cinnamon basil, lavender, and rosemary for easy access when cooking!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  1:22:15 PM  Show Profile
Emily Rose Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I went through all my containers, spices and non-perishable food items. I recycled lids without matching containers and containers without matching lids. I donated the food items I found that I knew we probably wouldn't eat, or if they were processed junk. Then, I organized my cabinets!

I love having more organized cabinets, drawers and supplies! This project opened my eyes to many more improvements that can be mad in my kitchen. Me and the other members of our chapter's Get Er Done Team plan to put in 10 hours towards renovating my tiny kitchen! Stay tuned!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  1:33:08 PM  Show Profile
Emily Rose Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Beginner Level Self-sufficiency Merit Badge!

“After growing several different herbs outdoors this year, I harvested at the end of the season. I collected some of the seeds from my basil to use for next season, and laid the rest of the herbs out to dry. Then, I processed and ground them. I followed MaryJane's recipes in her Idea Book to make her Trelingua Spice Blend and also her European Spice Blend from the herbs I'd grown and dried. I reused some plastic baby food containers and packaged the spice blends as a gift set for a fellow farmgirl.

LOVE the aroma of these blends!!!! I have plenty of dried herbs left over for more spice blends, too!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  1:43:45 PM  Show Profile
Emily Rose Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“A new single mama and her two young kiddos moved into our neighborhood. Her daughter is close to my daughter's age, so I've been inviting her over for play-dates. I baked them cookies and made a list of local emergency numbers to keep on her fridge. She was surprised and tickled by the gesture!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  1:47:09 PM  Show Profile
Emily Rose Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“This year I grew some new kinds of herbs. I grew one that I'd never tried before, coleus. I also grew cinnamon basil and eucalyptus. I dried them at the end of the season and used the cinnamon basil in my tea! Wet and/or cold eucalyptus leaves feel great on tired eyes! I packaged some lavender and also some eucalyptus as sachets for a friend.

My friend says she is going to use her lavender sachet in her car because it smells so great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  2:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Rose Poole (#5393) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“I embroidered mittens to hold candy canes out of felt,the roping I took jute and tied bows along it. I made my angel with burlap and egg shape ball and sticks for her wings.

I think it turned out perfect.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  2:18:34 PM  Show Profile
Yavonne Tudisco (pokey220, #5243) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I was pleasantly surprised when I began putting together a beginners sewing kit. It seemed as if I have been wanting to learn how to sew for quite sometime now by the look of a disheveled small wicker basket bursting with sewing items in it and a brand new sewing machine that was still in the box after a couple of years. I began taking everything out of the wicker basket and lo and behold I had everything I needed for this merit badge, excluding a homemade pin keeper.
All the sewing items could not be kept in the wicker basket, so I took an old craft box I had and turned into an organized sewing kit. To make my pin keeper, I used and old small jewelry bag stuffed it with cotton balls and zipped it up.

I am so pleased with the outcome. Having an organized sewing kit puts a smile on my face. I have everything I need in one spot and I'm ready to learn how to sew.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  2:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Yavonne Tudisco (pokey220, #5243) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“When my husband and I moved into our new home, one of the first things I did was start a compost heap. I chose a spot next to the fence and close to my future garden. For over 2 years I have been putting my bucket of kitchen scraps; veggie, egg shells and coffee grinds along with the landscapers grass clippings and dried leaves into the compost heap. This past year I realized the roots of the Palm trees like the compost heap so much I built a compost bin. I have never calculated how much compost dirt I’ve collected and used, but I have enjoyed using this rich dirt in the garden beds and seeing more worms in the soil.

The first time I saw and heard about vermicomposting was in NYC 1995. I went to a client’s apartment and she showed me her small handmade plastic worm bin. I was fascinated, how neat to throw a banana peel into the bin and eventually it would end up being worm castings. I was hooked and wanted a worm bin ever since. That dream came true last August. I bought a three-tray worm bin and started off with 100 worms. Since then I have added 200 more worms and in total have harvested 15-20 gallons of worm castings. I feed the worms with eggshells and coffee grinds I collect from Mother Earth Café and veggie pulp from the local juice bar.

I just finished reading Amy Stewart’s book “ The Earth Moved”. I sure am glad it was a suggested reading because I felt as if I met a kindred spirit. Like Amy, I care for my worms as if they are apart of my family. I check on them daily, I feed them; I make sure their home is comfortable and even moved them inside for the summer because of the heat. (I have since discovered, hopefully a remedy to help cool them off next summer by freezing water bottles and putting them in the bin.) Reading “The Earth Moved” also helped answer a few questions I had. Like what are those microscopic white dots that seem to move? I thought they might be little worms, but no they are Springtails!! I questioned the timing of rotating my trays or why are the worms going to the bottom of the bin or why they sometimes crawled to the top. I found all my answers in Amy’s book.

In South Florida where I live, we have been having a major problem with spiraling white fly not to mention other bug invaders. However, these spiraling white flies eat everything in sight. At first they were identified on Ficus trees, but I found out they have no mercy and attack pretty much every living plant including my huge Traveling Palms. My personal belief they are mutated bugs from the years of depleted soil from fertilizer and pest sprays. Every 2 weeks I’d get out a 6ft ladder to spray organic solutions, soaps and other concoctions. At one point I broke down and used chemicals. Nothing was working. My trees were black, dying and still infested. One day I was reading about worm tea and the article stated it was good for getting rid of the white fly. I was so excited because I dislike using chemicals at the core of my being and not to mention the labor involved. Immediately I made my first batch and was absolutely amazed by the results. Within a week after spraying worm tea, (not even spraying the entire tree because they are quite large) my palm trees came back to life healthier then ever!! The black was gone, no infestation and they are green and healthy!! I only wish I would have taken a before picture of the dying palms all black and lifeless to have visual proof of the life giving power of worm tea. I can also say the application lasted over 8 months. WOW!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  2:29:28 PM  Show Profile
Yavonne Tudisco (pokey220, #5243) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I've collected six plus reusable bags for shopping.

I keep the 6 shopping bags in my car and a few extras in the house. I've been using them for quite sometime, however I find myself more committed to using them since being reminded by earning this badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  2:35:27 PM  Show Profile
Yavonne Tudisco (pokey220, #5243) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I earned this merit badge by creating garden trellis out of poles and string to help keep up right my eggplants and green peppers. Also I created a bean teepee by using 3 8ft strips of wood.

I am so happy with the outcome of both projects. Last year I planted pole beans for the first time and realized the trellis I used was not at all tall enough. Nor did I create the proper wire trellis for the eggplants and bell peppers. This year my beans look happy :) and the other veggies seem to be doing well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  2:43:19 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I learned how to fold three different shapes, 3 different flowers and three different animals.

(They are interspersed with the other miscellany on my inspiration shelf).

My daughter folded all the flowers, a couple of the shapes, and a couple of the animals with me. It was a lot of fun. We are bother looking forward to doing the next level and creating a piece using multiple sheets of paper. A star for the Christmas tree would be lovely.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  2:52:19 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“I made at least 25% of the ornaments on our tree and I made at least 25% of the presents I am giving away for Christmas.

I gathered together a good many of the wooden spools I have saved over the years and painted the edges silver or gold. I then wrapper pretty paper around their middles, and used wire to attach beads to them. Partway through my daughter caught me having fun and joined in to help. Pictured are a few of the ornaments we made. As for the gifts, every January I make a list of family members and what I want to get them for Christmas, then spend the year finding or making the items. This year I chose to make nearly half of all the gifts. I have gained a great deal of pleasure from doing this and only have 2 gifts left to complete before Christmas. Keep your fingers crossed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  2:59:13 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I hosted Christmas Dinner using my family recipes (a lot of them). I made apple pie and cherry pie, a dozen different kinds of cookies, butternut squash, zucchini (a volunteer from the compost pile), sweet potatoes, ham (locally sourced), deviled eggs (from our own chickens), and tons of other food. We ate from my grandmother's china using my great grandmother's silver. The picture is all the leftovers that remain.

Some were family recipes, some were new, and some I made up along the way. We had a great time. lots of laughter and great food.

The first family recipe I made was when I lived in Germany. in 1985 I called my mother collect from Germany to get the recipe for stuffing. I then made Thanksgiving dinner for myself and the other single soldiers I worked with. The story gets told every year and never gets old. Family recipes are an important family connection, especially when there is distance between family members.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  3:02:21 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“I read the book "The Soul of a Horse" by Joe Camp and checked out his web site, and did some research on the Mustang breed.

His book told me a few things about animals in general that I had already discovered, but more importantly many things about prey animals that I had not found out.

I also discovered that Mustang ultimately means "stray" or "feral animal", rather than being a particular breed. Mustangs are as "mutt" as the American people are in terms of having a diverse genetic background. The Appaloosa breed came of the this collection of genetics, developed by the tribe most considered master horse breeders: the Nez Perce.

I have loved animals since I was a child, and still have a love affair with them, especially horses. Having my feelings confirmed about animals was gratifying. I found the differences between the needs of the predator and the prey to be significant and telling. I will be more conscious in using this information to develop my relationships with the already in my life, and those yet to come.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  3:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Lynne Parmenter (#5089) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“I earned my merit badge by making quilled Christmas ornaments. I started with the sheep. Shapes for this are a tight circle, loose circle, teardrop, triangle, bunny ear and a holly leaf. The materials were listed as a corsage pin, round toothpick or a quilling tool. I did not buy a quilling tool. The store was out when I purchased the quilling paper so I used a round toothpick. I enjoyed making it so much I continued with my own creations. I made candy canes, wreaths and trees. I made so many that I inserted one into Christmas cards for my local friends and neighbors who I hand delivered their cards.

I think they turned out great. I did receive a lot of compliments and some even suggested I make them to sell. As I mentioned above, I enjoyed learning how to quill.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  3:13:20 PM  Show Profile
ne Parmenter (#5089) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I prepared my business plan for a flower shop.

I actually went to trade school in Boston Massachusetts for floral design and a business degree for a flower shop. This was a dream of mine. I worked in a flower shop for 8 years. When the supermarkets started selling flowers and even doing weddings and sympathy it really hurt the little guys business. Couldn't compete with the cheaper prices. Supermarkets could purchase in a large quantity so they got a better price. When business slowed down I then became a Realtor.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  3:16:58 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I spent an hour and 7 pieces of origami paper folding and assembling a kaleidoscope. After I got it put together and turned it a couple of times, I realized only 6 colors were showing. I took it apart and put it back together and now have 7 colors showing.

It looks really nice, did not take many folds, but was rather difficult to assemble. Tomorrow I will show my daughter how to make shirts, pants, and skirts. They have got to be a little easier, and we can use them in place of bows on the Christmas presents.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  3:28:54 PM  Show Profile
Shari Doty (sharikrsna, #607) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I made four themed dish drainer quilts for a friend of my mom. Had to go on ebay to find the special fabrics she requested, the rest was easy- just followed MaryJane's instructions!

They turned out beautiful, and the lady was thrilled!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  3:31:38 PM  Show Profile
Shari Doty (sharikrsna, #607) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“I have actually been doing this for a long time, but after receiving Glamping as a wedding gift from MaryJane, I took it to the next level-added several comfy/glamorous touches to my camp.

It was very comfortable and nice to look at. I took lots of pictures. The attached one is one I posted on Farmgirl Connection, though I can't remember which thread!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  3:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Shari Doty (sharikrsna, #607) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“I brought my Glamping book camping, showed it to all my girlfriends, and taught them how to make campfire banana splits, the pineaple rum skewers, and some of the cocktails in the book.

They all wanted a copy of the book! Several of them have purchased glamporific gear since then.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  3:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“Three of my Sisters came to stay for the Fall Craft Fairs. We cooked all our meals from the recipes that I collected for the beginner level and also made recipes from the Canning cookbook I made for the Intermediate level.

It was such a job cooking with my sisters, we each taught each other tips for cooking. We went down Memory Lane by using family recipes.
They copied recipes from my Canning book that they loved.

We hope to repeat this special togetherness in May for the spring craft fairs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  3:38:36 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a full apron from a Simplicity pattern # 4987.

It is gathered at the waist and I added a lace ruffle around the bottom.

I wore the apron to my daughter-in-laws home. Everyone loved it, she even ask me to make her some aprons.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  3:41:33 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“For the first time in many years I made homespun Christmas gifts. My daughter-in-law ask me to make her a comfy blanket, I made a queen size one using, cozy flannel on the bottom, warm @ natural batting and a print for the top then binding all around the blanket.
She also ask for aprons. I made her three full aprons and one half apron. For one of the full aprons I used a pattern that I used many years ago when I made them for my Grandma.

For Christmas ornaments. I found a beautiful piece of Christmas fabric at the Quilt store, I made a table runner with that. I also made our Christmas cards. My husband and I had out picture taken with Santa and Comet his Reindeer, so I had copies made and incorporated those in the cards.

Then from DYI, I made a Christmas Cranberry/Popcorn wreath for the birds.

Christmas is my favorite Holiday. I really enjoyed making all these gifts.

My daughter-in-law will receive her gifts on Christmas Eve when we have our family dinner, the table runner looks bright and cheery on the coffee table and the birds are loving the wreath . I hung it on the back deck shepherds hook by the door between two feeders. We can sit and watch the birds enjoy.

Making these Homespun gifts really brought back a lot of memories when I made so many gifts for my then little Grandkids.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page