Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  7:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“It's been 7 weeks now that I made a decision to make better choices in my eating. I joined Weight Watchers to help me with that accountability and to be an encouraging presence.

Choosing high quality foods that are good for me in appropriate amounts has been awesome. I've lost over 13 pounds and feel so much better. It has been a long time since I've seen the scale tip under 200 pounds -- I'm 1 pound away from that. Yahoo!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  7:07:37 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Weaving Merit Badge!

“I never thought I'd enjoy weaving, but I love it. Our Farmgirl chapter made small looms in order to make bookmarks. It was addicting.

I ended up making about 20 as I couldn't stop -- I loved seeing how different combinations of fiber turned out when woven together. Beautiful. I gave some out to friends and plan to make some for my pen pals.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  7:11:11 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I spent some time reading about Frida Kahlo. I'd come to easily recognize her heavy eyebrows in her self portraits, but new nothing about the woman.

While sharing some of her story with friends, I was so saddened by the short volatile life she lived. Although uncertain, she probably died at her own hand and was eager to leave. She even referred to herself as a [bleep]. It amazes me that one who can see so much beauty, sees so much of it with distortion.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  7:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Dena Corry (dena91, #5620) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“After reading about Mary Jane's button collection in a recent MJF issue, I was inspired to start my own. At our local 4-H fair they have a WONDERFUL fabric sale, old buttons included! I bought 2 bags of vintage buttons, mostly pearled and black/brown. To add some color I visited our local fabric store and bought buttons in various shades of pink, red, blue, green, and purple.

I love how it turned out! I brought some canning jars up from my basement and divided the buttons by colors. I made a jar of just pearl, aqua and browns, reds and pearl, blues and pearl, and black, purples and greens. I put the jars in my bedroom window where the sun shines through the glasses and over the buttons in the afternoon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  4:39:10 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I already started using reusable shopping bags earlier this year, but just recently rounded out my collection with two new tote bags I got from my girlfriend who has a 31 Gifts business.

I love them and use them when I go to the store. My favorite two are black and have "slow food" and "real food" embroidered on them in lime green. People ask me about them all the time!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  4:44:15 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I made up recipe boxes for Christmas for my 5 daughters and daughter-in-law. I put recipes in each box that I have always used along with some newer recipes. I typed the recipes out on my computer and them put them on recipe cards. I then laminated each card so that they could be wiped off easily and would last years.

The girls all loved the recipes and boxes. My daughter-in-law loved the recipes. She was born in Czech Republic and my son and her live in Germany. She can't wait to make some of them for my son so that he can have a taste of home.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  4:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (ShellyS, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made this half apron from Sew Simple Simplicity pattern A2011. It turned out alright. I use it to collect eggs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  4:51:50 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (ShellyS, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I like the way it turned out although I still need some practice. I wear it every time I'm in the kitchen.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  4:57:51 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (ShellyS, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I made a gift basket for my Aunt. It had homemade Laundry detergent dry and liquid and homemade peppermint and cinnamon soaps and some homemade bath salts.

It turned out very nice and my Aunt loved it asked how she could make her own.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  5:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (ShellyS, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I made laundry detergent, soaps, and homemade cleaners. Just plain vinegar works great. I shared my recipes with my farm girl sisters.

I love making my own laundry detergent i won;t buy it from the store again. The soap turned out great. I've been using homemade cleaners for years.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  5:05:40 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Crick (Madinet85, #4915) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I spent approx 6 hours sewing myself a full apron. I made a smock type apron to keep myself clean during cooking. I didn't use any ruffles, but I did my first dart and buttonhole on this project!

It turned out great, I've worn it twice already and it definitely keeps the flour and dirt at bay during my cooking sprees.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  5:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Osborn (#406) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have accumulated at least 20 reusable shopping bags and all for free. I keep them in the trunk of my car and use them when I go to the grocery.

It was hard to remember to bring them into the grocery with me at first, but it has now become a habit. I will now even use my bags when I go in most stores, not just the grocery. I have accumulated so many, I will give gifts in them and encourage the recipient to reuse it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  5:21:28 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Osborn (#406) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I found a great "recipe" for making my own all purpose cleaner and have been using it for at least six months.

Recipe: 2 cups hot water, dissolve 2 Tbs Borax in the hot water, add 1/4 c. vinegar, 1/2 c. castile soap and 40 drops of essential oil. Place in a labeled spray bottle.

This does a great job of cleaning and I can change the scents if desired.I do not have to worry about any chemicals that may harm my cats.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  5:24:14 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Osborn (#406) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I searched my area for types of recycling available. Fortunately, just down the road from my home is a high school, that has a community recycling area. I can take all of my papers, cardboard and plastics there. We also recycle aluminum cans, but we do take those to a facility that pays for them.

The recycling seemed hard to get used to at first, but has now become a natural process. I helped get recycle bins at my workplace as well, and this has been well received.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  5:27:07 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Osborn (#406) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have been recycling paper, cardboard and some plastics for awhile. My trash company now offers curbside recycling and accepts plastics with bases wider than the mouths and glass so have increased my recycling. Last week, I only had 1 bag of trash for pick-up. In better weather, I sometimes burn some trash and add coffee grinds, vegetable clippings and egg shells to my compost pile.

I have found a new love for recycling and re purposing. I have set a goal for myself to get my actual trash down to 1 bag a month!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  7:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“Made 2 aprons, loaded with flowers, burlap and denim, for the purpose of toting gardening tools and supplies. One of them is to be an Easter present for my daughter, along with a trip to the nursery to get flowers for her barrel. I put mine on and went to the grocery store. My family gets grumbly when I don't feed them regularly, can't they see I'm stitching!

The fabric from my apron came from a jumper I found at a garage sale (I got it for the pansy fabric), and striped denim I got at Goodwill. My daughter's apron was made from a tired bed sheet and a old sample from an upholstery shop. They had to have tool loops for carrying our garden tools, pockets big enough for seed packets and note pads. mine had to have a pocket big enough for my garden plan and a pencil/pen pocket. Add ruffles and bows, and you have a pair of rugged aprons that look like they just sprouted out of the flower beds. They were both a lot of fun to make.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  7:12:53 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“I tracked my TV time for a week (New Year's week) and found I watched 19 hours worth of television. Of those hours, 11.5 were spent on movies, and 7.5 on broadcast shows: 9.25 hours were spent stitching, 4.75 eating, and 5 just watching. Any movies not kid friendly were not watched during the time they were there and awake. Eating in front of the TV is a bad habit and should be stopped. The 5 hours I just watched were spent seeing a new movie with the kids and ringing in the new year. I might try this again when we do not have a holiday.

Of all the members in our house, I watch the average amount, my daughter watches a lot less, and my partner watches a lot more (football, hockey, auto racing).

We saw a show on the spice "vanilla." Vanilla is native to Mexico where a very tiny bee that pollinates the plant exists. When a young black boy figured out how to pollinate the plant by hand, vanilla production began in other parts of the world. Vanilla production is dropping off in Mexico because there is not as much demand for the product. Personally, I will look for vanilla produced in Mexico so as to no only get a very high quality product, but also support native agriculture. Very interesting and informative show.

For New Year's Eve, we watched 80's movies, then rang in the new year with our local channel. Wonderful fireworks show.

We are working to watch less television (already got rid of paid television and use only an antenna now) and be more selective in the shows we watch.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  7:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“We have increased our organic intake so that nearly everything we buy is organic or local. I have eliminated High Fructose Corn Syrup from all my shelves and monitor all products (especially baked goods) before buying so that none returns to the house. I have found the phone numbers of the local CSA's and get my honey from one of them. I hope to start with another one this upcoming season for local grass fed meat. Finally I replaced our desserts with fresh fruit for almost 2 weeks now.

I also read "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan as I already owned the book and had it in my planned reading stack. WOW!

Eliminating the HFCS was easy, especially since most organic products don't use it. Going more organic is a little more difficult as it is not always easy to find everything I usually use in cooking, especially spices. Going to fruit for dessert was wonderful, but all that fiber that our bodies were suddenly getting....need I say more.

We are making changes to our diet and as a result enjoying the food we eat a lot more. I hope to eventually be off most of the supplements as well as better food means better nutrition for me and my family. I will save so much financially and health wise in the long run.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  7:26:18 PM  Show Profile
Corri Riebow (pariscreekfarmgirl, #5663) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I have always loved watching birds and other wildlife. For the beginner level Birds merit badge I researched the birds in my area. Right now we are experiencing a hard winter and I was especially interested in learning how the birds that stay over winter in Michigan survive the cold temps. I also made my Wish List of birds I'd like to observe.

I learned some interesting facts about how birds keep warm during the winter. Some things were obvious, like filling your feeders so they can find food. But some things were new to me such as the fact that chickadees shiver to keep warm...not the same way humans do but more of an internal shiver. Here is my list of birds I would like to observe this year...1. Great Horned Owl 2. Eastern Screech Owl 3. Barred Owl 4. Pileated Woodpecker 5.Bald Eagle 6. Red Tailed Hawk 7. Belted Kingfisher 8. Ruby Throated Hummingbird 9. Cedar Waxwing 10. Indigo Bunting 11. Scarlet Tanager 12. Nothern Cardinal 13. Black-capped Chickadee 14. Baltimore Oriole 15. Great Blue Heron 16. Ring-necked Pheasant 17. Northern Flicker 18. Mallard 19. Canada Goose 20. Common Raven

I've also included a photo of a male Cardinal visiting one of my feeders.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  7:31:50 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“My grandmother taught me how to chain and do the single and double crochet stitches when I was just old enough to manage a hook. We have a great yarn shop here in town called The Black Purl and the owner helped me get started again with some beautiful yarn by Ella Rae. I used a 5.5 mm hook and retaught myself the single stitch working especially on consistent tension making an infinity scarf. It is 60" around and 6" wide and took me about 8 hours total to do. It curled so I also had to learn how to block a project as well.

I wore it for an hour and then popped it in the mail to a friend who is in Texas that is not used to the cold as a surprise! I have already started a new one for myself, checking the internet for more things to learn and have added on double, basket, and grit stitches as more of a sampler scarf, but in the same color. It is going much faster this time!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  7:39:28 PM  Show Profile
Marti Wynne (Smarti, #5654) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I collected six "green bags" that refelect my personality and they are in my vehicle where I can use them. They are great!!! They are now at my fingertips!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  7:46:23 PM  Show Profile
Lynne Parmenter (#5089) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“My Sister In Law taught me to knit a basic stitch to make a scarf. She suggested that I use wooden needles to begin with. The yard doesn't slip with these needles. I did use wooden needles, size 5.5m. It took me almost a year and a half to complete it. This year I do want to finish all my projects that I have started.

Well. Let me just say I added the fringe to hide a mistake. It came out ok. There is no holes which I was told that was good because that meant I didn't miss a stitch. I forgot to count my stitches at the beginning so at one end of the scarf the edges have curves. I was also told that my stitch is very tight and because of this my scarf is thick. That's ok though....we have had a few days and nights below 0 degrees here in New Hamshire and the scarf is warm. Yes, I have used it and will continue to do so.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  7:50:43 PM  Show Profile
Amber Warfield (Awarfield, #4582) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I purchased 8 reusable grocery bags to use on my shopping trips. I got mine at Aldis.

I now keep my bags in the car at all times so I can use them on every trip. If I know I'm going shopping I put them in the front passenger seat so I don't forget them on the way out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  7:57:21 PM  Show Profile
Megan M (#5220) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“Almost everyone on my list recieved a big basket of homemade jams, jellies, honey from my bees or a scrappy pomander/ornament. Based on wrapped items, 25% of the items "under the tree" would have been homemade from me.

I also made more than 50% of the ornaments on my tree this year.When hanging up the ornaments with my husband, I made him keep tally of "Megan" vs. "Santa" in terms of who "made" the ornament.

Based on feedback, people love the canned gifts and ornaments.

Our tree turned out great and we received lots of comments when friends were over or on Facebook. I also did a blog post on the topic so that others could enjoy it as well. Next year - expert level!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2014 :  2:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Betty Hoffman (Dapple Grey Lady, #5589) has received a certificate of achievement in Each other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I started making goat milk soaps a year and a half ago. A year ago it became a business and all began with having a use for the extra milk we were getting from our dairy does. Getting good reviews on my soap products and regular orders has led to having my product being in a couple of local feed stores. My business is called Lottadoe Soaps. My husband named our farm, Lottadoe Farms and so Lottadoe Soaps was born out of the farm name.

My soap business has been growing little by little. I have a few regular repeat customers that have let me know how they love my soap.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page