Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  4:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Lissa Napora (weavingthefuture, #5730) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I read blogging for bliss: crafting your own online journal

My chosen topic is my life in general, mostly concentrating on my various farmgirl interests such as canning, gardening, cooking, and also focusing on my crafty activities such as spinning, dying and weaving.

I was thrilled to find that my library has a copy of blogging for bliss, and that it was in, so i could borrow it immediately. It's a lovely book with lots of great ideas.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  5:09:28 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I crocheted a bracelet with a variegated yarn. I found several matching purple and blue buttons to attach for the closure and all around the bracelet. I enjoy wearing it.

I love wearing pieces with yarn and buttons. It feels like my style.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  5:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I learned ribbing, puff, picot and post stitches. I taught my niece, son and 4 homeschooled girls to crochet. I made a wrap for myself and a ruffled capelet for my daughter.

My daughter gets so many compliments. It is truly a unique piece.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  5:20:45 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level BirdsMerit Badge!

“We are blessed with a diverse population of birds. We have hawks, Northern Cardinal, Blue Jays, sparrows, wrens, chickadees, Brown Thrashers, hummingbirds and even Bald Eagles. I enjoy seeing them all! I would like to see the Bald Eagle again. I have only had one sighting so far.

Whatbird.com has been an incredible resource for identifying and researching native birds.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  5:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Will-do Badge!

“I have made 5 aprons with a homemade hot pad and a dish towel. I have made 4 chef's hats. All these for my children, niece and nephews to use when helping me in the kitchen.

They are super cute. It makes the children feel special to have their own kitchen gear.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  4:02:29 PM  Show Profile
Juanity Massey ([needy, #1020) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I have my home about 95% green now. I am using up what I had. My home is as clean as it has ever been and it smell great too. I don't have to worry about chemicals.

It has been great and the worry is over for the chemicals.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  4:09:03 PM  Show Profile
Lissa Napora (weavingthefuture, #5730) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“@e have cut back our consumption of pop/soda considerably over the last decade or so. My husband gets kidney stones that are related to eating certain foods, and something in pop contributes to it; and I react badly to high fructose corn syrup, so we have lots of motivation to stay away from the stuff. But sometimes nothing hits the spot like a cold, carbonated beverage... for the last few years i was looking for a way to address this desire...

I experimented with making home brewed root beer, using root beer extract and yeast. It was really easy, and I found a variety of brands of extract with different nuances of flavor, but we didn't really care for the yeasty taste.

So the next experiment was with water kefir. I brew the water kefir for 24-48 hours, then remove the grains (to use in the next batch) and rebottle the liquid with the addition of any of a variety of fruit juices, and let it carbonate in an air tight bottle. the result is a slightly tart, fizzy and very refreshing beverage.

My favorite juice to use is 'cherry cider' which is available from several local farm stands in the summer. My second favorite is my own canned strawberry lemonade. Any natural juice works, as long as it doesn't contain preservatives (which prevent fermentation).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  4:13:32 PM  Show Profile
Lissa Napora (weavingthefuture, #5730) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have been recycling for decades, but have only had curbside recycling since we moved to this town about 10 years ago. I love having curbside recycling.

We have a special trash can in the pantry where we keep our recyclables (according to what our town recycles). Every other week we move it to the bin provided by our town to be picked up.

It's always been an uphill climb to get my husband to be more conscientious about making sure that he puts everything that's recyclable into the recycling bin instead of the trash....but he is paying more attention and I am seeing a lot of improvement.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  4:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Emily Rose Yost (EmilyRoseBud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“Our Farmgirl Chapter met last Saturday night for our monthly meeting. We brought along magazines, pictures and scrapbooking supplies. We shared the materials and made vision boards, or collages. Each sister had a different theme.

I hung my vision board up in my room! I love seeing the motivational quotes and pictures! This will keep me motivated and keep my vision in sight!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  4:34:23 PM  Show Profile
Jen Daniels (Jen D, #4930) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level "Out There" Women Merit Badge!

“Our farmgirl chapter had a get together. It consisted of one of our Farmgirl's husband passing on his knowledge of survival. He showed us several bags he keeps for different situations. We all collected all the items in the list for our own survival packs. We plan on taking these on day hikes this summer. We also had a chance to look through books about native plants. We learned several more than just ten. However I did make a list with pictures of the ten most common to keep in my hiking backpack.

This was a great experience!! I expanded my knowledge of survival and I feel much more safe and reassured with my survival pack!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  4:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Lauthe (#5699) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level "Out There" Women Merit Badge!

“Our farm girl Crystal had her husband give a 30 min lesson on the items he keeps in his bug out bag and what the uses of each item are for.

We also made car survival bags fills with a mirror, para cord, matches in a water proof bag, a mirror, poncho, lanyard, and whistle.
I now keep it in the car for emergencies, if ever needed to help someone or myself.

They turned out great! Now I feel that I can get through a small crisis or am able to help out with some odd things someone may not have but need.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  4:46:16 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Lauthe (#5699) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“We made vision boards with picture of the things we want most in our lives.

Mine have a few categories of, on the kitchen for my transformation to healthy and homemade foods and baked goods. Next, is my garden, for the garden and green thumb I am working on for our home. My farmgirls, so they will always be in my life and showing me this great sisterhood. And the last category is our family, for the family my husband and I are going to have so that we may grow strong and love one another!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  4:49:40 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sheri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Weather Merit Badge!

“Clouds are formed when water vapor from the worlds water sources rises into the colder areas of the atmosphere and condenses into larger particles around microscopic debris until the vapor has been cooled to the saturation point. At this point the cloud becomes visible.

All weather producing clouds form in the troposphere. Tropospheric clouds are divided into physical categories and altitude range (high, middle, low, and vertical or multi-level). The ten genus types are derived from crossing these two categories.

Cirriform – generally thin and occur mostly in the form of filiments and only found in high altitude family
Stratiform – non-convective clouds with a mostly sheet like structure
Cumuliform – limited or free-convestive clouds that appear in heaps
stratocumuliform – rolled or rippled clouds of limited convection (combine cumuliform & stratiform characterististics)
cumulonimbiform – towering free-convective cumiliform clouds often with complex structures that include cirriform tops

High altitude clouds have the prefix cirro- (cirrostratus & cirrocumulus)
Mid altitude clouds have the prefix alto- (altostratus & altocumulus)
Low altitude clouds have no prefix

Vertical clouds include thick stratiform, cumuliform, and cumulonimbiform, all of which can produce precipitation. The low to mid range vertical clouds are comprised of nimbostratus and cumulus mediocris, while the towering vertical group has no stratoforms, only cumulonimbus and cumulus congestus.

Within these groups there are many subtypes which probably completely fascinate a nephologist and possibly a meteorologist too. What this means in laywoman’s terms is: clouds that exist within an altitude range are lovely to look at, but vertical clouds can produce precipitation.

I was married to man who had a private pilots license who told me a lot about clouds from a fliers perspective. If a cloud has a distinctive outline and is continuing to grow taller, there is a good possibility of rain or other precipitation of a violent nature (thunderstorms). I found that to be generally true in the South. In the Northwest, the clouds are usually already sitting on top of you when they do that. I have learned to pay attention to the relative humidity and barometric pressure (my joints talk), then watch which direction the wind blows and what type of clouds come in for clues on weather changes.

The photo is from my move from Georgia to Washington. We had just entered Montana and I could see we were heading for bad weather.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  4:16:34 PM  Show Profile
Jacinda Jenks(#5732) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“This last weekend I visited my family in Eugene and Florence. While I was there I stopped by Barnes and Nobles bookstore and bought a book about birds, Field Guide To Bird's Of North America by Edward S. Brinkley. While in Eugene I skimmed over the book to familiarize myself with the color code and abbreviations. This afternoon when the car was unpacked and laundry started I decided to make a list of the type of birds in my area:

Ducks, geese, and swans
Loons and grebes
Auks, murres, and puffins
Pelicans, commorants,and boobies
Gulls and terns
Wading birds
Rails, gallinules, and coots
Quail, grouse, and turkey
Vultures and diurnal raptors
Shorebirds
Pigeons and doves
Owls and nighthawks
Kingfishers and trogons
Woodpeckers
Hummingbirds
Vireo
Chickadees and titmice
Wren and dipper
Small woodland birds
Thrushes, mimids, and waxwings
Jays and crows
Blackbirds and orioles
Finches
Sparrows
Larks

Now I can't wait for my next chapter meeting so that I can plan a bird watching trip with my fellow farmgirls.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  4:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Jacinda Jenks(#5732) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“Two years ago my now 12 year old wanted chickens for his birthday. So Grandma gave him a gift certificate to the local farmers co-op for his birthday plus a few magazines about chickens. Because of some family health issues we had to hold off on getting the chickens for a year. However last spring he became the proud owner of 6 Rhode Islands. Since then I have acquired 6 Black sex-links of my own. Between the two of us we have lots of fun taking care of them.

We love our hens! Since then we have adopted a hen from a friend that was unable to keep it and Lakenvelder rooster from another friend who lives in city limits and was unable to keep him either. Surprisingly they all get along even though they have not been altogether from the beginning.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  4:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Lauren Sorgaard (rodsannie, #5705) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I sent a letter to all of my relatives and asked for them to send me their favorite family recipes. I also went through my mom and my favorite aunt's recipe boxes and copied my favorites.

I come from a large family on both sides and had a huge response to my request, over 300 recipes were received!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  4:39:55 PM  Show Profile
Lauren Sorgaard (rodsannie, #5705) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I took all the recipes I gathered from my family in the beginner phase and made a cookbook.

I made an over 400 page cookbook that I put on lulu.com and made available for my family to be able to purchase (at no profit to myself, just whatever covered printing charges)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  4:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Ann Woody (Ann Woody, #4665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I tossed all the plastic repurposed yogurt, cottage cheese type containers,that were used for storing leftovers.

Banished some large blue granite granny ware from the kitchen(bottoms developed leaks long ago).

I feel good about getting rid of those things. Now I will use the pretty corning I inherited from my mother. Besides now I can reheat in the storage container.

I will use the large lids for a birdbath, bird dust bath or maybe a butterfly puddler this summer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  5:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I read the book "Beef" by Andrew Rimas and Evan D. G. Fraser. I also found a couple of local farmers/ranchers who sell beef locally.

The history of beef was quite interesting. I raise dual purpose chickens myself, and dual purpose cattle make a lot of sense to me. I raised and showed beef animals in 4-H and FFA when I was growing up, never truly understanding the history behind beef. Our own animals were pasture raised and finished, while my show animals had to be partially grain finished in order to reach their weight in time for the market. I have already switched to grass fed beef, local when it's available. I am hoping to get more local beef this year when the local farmer starts selling again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  5:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I watched the trailer of the movie at www.vanishingbees.com, read Sue Monk Kidd's "Secret Life of Bees," and planted bee balm and other bee friendly flowers in my herb garden.

I have watched the movie "Secret Life of Bees" twice already. I am also planning on planting more bee friendly plants this year, if I can keep the chickens from eating them. I have found that the hummingbirds are also fond of some of my bee plants.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  5:11:50 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“Raw honey has not been processed other than to remove it from the hive and transfer it to containers. Processed honey has been pasteurized and has possibly been adulterated with non-honey sugars prior to packaging. I have found a local honey vendor, a couple of them, and I read "Bees: Nature's Little Wonders" by Candace Savage.

I have always enjoyed honey, but am now more careful in my selection of the honey I bring home. I buy honey by the gallon and use it daily, especially in my morning tea. I found the book fascinating and my daughter is already begging to read it too. I know she will enjoy it.

Sometimes when no one is looking, she and I dip or fingers in the honey jar for the pleasure of sucking the honey back off of them. It is a real treat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  5:15:33 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Green Energy Merit Badge.

“For the last month and a half I have been tracking our energy expenses, I have finished converting all our light fixtures to more energy efficient bulbs, and I have taken a hard look at ways to lower our energy expenditures.

As a family, we already carpool for work and school, and combine trips when we have errands to do. I have my thermostat programmed to 65 degrees for when we are home, and 55 degrees when we are not or at night (they complain, but they live). We don't have an air-conditioner, so we use window fans and heavy curtains to control the temperature as well. We use our fireplace as a source of heat. We are looking to solar for a possible source of electricity and hot water.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  5:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge.

“Many commercial beauty products are tested on animals or use ingredients that have been tested on animals. They also may use animal ingredients such as whale oil in perfumes. Cruelty-free and organic products on the other hand use only plant or mineral derived ingredients and do not test on animals. Over the past few years, I have been steadily replacing all my beauty products with natural and organic beauty products. This past weekend, my daughter and I made some homemade bath salts/fizz using Epsom salts, baking soda, sea salt, and essential oils.

I do not use a lot of beauty products as my hair is very fine and my skin is very sensitive. I have found that I have fewer problems with natural and organic products, than with commercial products. My daughter is reaching an age in which she is becoming interested in beauty products as well (heavy sigh). She enjoyed making the bath salts with me, and promptly took a long bath using them.

Hint: baking soda in the bath water makes shaving less painful and your legs are smooth when you are done.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  5:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Jacinda Jenks (fairlady, #5732) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“Several years ago I took a class at my local quilt shop on how to make this flower pincushion/bag combo. The pincushion is filled with crushed walnut hauls which makes it nice and heavy, that way when the bag is hanging it won't slip off. A few days ago I looked on the internet to find some ideas for a pinkeeper pattern. I found two that I really liked and couldn't decide which one to make so I made both. The brown felt book pinkeeper has a pocket on the inside of the front cover and one on the back cover. This is were I store my threading needle, eye hooks, and buttons. Then in the pages I have secured needles, safety pins, and straight pins. The other case that I made stores my cloth measuring tape from my grandmother, thimble from my neighbor, folding sissors, a few different types of needles, and white and black thread. Both of these pinkeepers I keep in the pouch of my flower pinchusion, which makes it very handy when you need to quickly mend something.

Last weekend I showed them off during my farmgirl meeting. Everyone wants me to teach them how to make them. Success!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  5:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Jacinda Jenks (fairlady, #5732) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“After making my half apron I used the same apron pattern to make a full apron. This apron is also reversible with black and yellow polka dot on the back. I also used jumbo ric-rac for the bottom and large for pockets.

I like how bright and cheerful the apron turned out. My fellow farmgirls loved the fabric, my husband on the other hand prefers the half apron fabric. I love it.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page