Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  5:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I signed up and took the 1st Wilton cake decorating class last month. It was a challenge using the tools and learning how to make flowers.

I found the experience fun and can't wait to take the other 3 classes to build upon my skills I learned in the first class.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  5:41:58 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“After I completed my first cake decorating class I purchased the kit which has all the tools you could possible need for cake decorating and for the remainder 3 classes. For Valentine's day I made my Husband a chocolate cake and used a writing tool, star tool to make flowers and the leaf tool for decorating his cake. I made the cake and frosting from scratch and he said it tasted pretty good.

The kit has everything I need to start my own decorating business if I want. I just need to learn how to use them better. My first cake came out pretty good. The icing I made was the one we learned in class and my husband didn't really care for its taste. He wants me to learn to make butter icing and I am working on perfecting that.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  5:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I asked my next door neighbor if I could use his backyard for a garden and he said yes. I planted corn, green beans (bush & pole), peas, zucchini, beets, radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, lettuce, sweet peppers, and a watermelon and cantaloupe. We used organic pest control that I found a recipe online. I read the book "Montrose: Life in a Garden" and found the information helpful and interesting.

Well it was our first garden here in Florida. We did have a small harvest of some of the things that we planted and for the others none at all. It was an eye opening experience. We learned what worked and what didn't and will address these items for our next planting season. I still have one tomato plant producing and a broccoli plant going to seed. Right now we are preparing the garden area for the next planting season.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  5:55:36 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“This last fall I purchased 8 different herbs to grow and use in my cooking. They were rosemary, 3 different varieties of mints, basil (which I use a lot of), oregano, dill, fennel, 2 different types of parsley, catnip (for my cats). I purchased a Herb book and chose these because I felt that I would use them for cooking.

I have always used dried herbs, but found that fresh herbs are so much better and I plan on adding to my herb garden. I really love having fresh herbs to use when I cook and going out to get them from my garden.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  5:57:33 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I have grown over 8 different types of herbs in my garden. I use them all in my cooking and love having the freshness of their flavor in my dishes.

It was such a wonderful experience to have fresh herbs to use. I now want to learn how to dry them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  6:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“This last spring I took a class on geology. One of the sections we discussed was the weather and we even learned how to use a barometer in class. We learned about high/low pressures and how they interact together. I found the class interesting and insightful. I really a lot about the weather patterns of my area.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  6:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Weather Merit Badge!

“This same class another section we learned was about all the different types of cloud formations and how to recognize them. My husband and I now look at the cloud formations and see how many we can name.

With the knowledge that I learned from the class, I can predict what kind of weather we will have for the day from the clouds and/or wind for the day. It is a fun exercise my husband and I do together daily on our morning walks.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  6:16:30 PM  Show Profile
Tina Page (#1265) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I was given a couple of reusable bags and purchased some for under one dollar. I fold them and keep them in my truck, ready to grab at the store or farmer's market.

I have been mostly successful at taking them in with me. I still have them package my meats in a store bag which I then try to recycle in some way. This keeps my bags cleaner.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  6:22:12 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (#5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I bought and read Blogging for Bliss by Tara Frey. For a topic, I chose something I love... the town where I live. Flagstaff, AZ is a quirky, unique town. It's a vacation spot for many, but it's my home. People love Flagstaff and I thought they might enjoy reading about life in Flagstaff from one who lives here.

I actually started the blog on blogspot in 2011, but only posted twice. The name I chose for my blog is My Flagstaff Home (A Reflection on Life in Flagstaff throughout the Seasons). I chose topics to cover in my blog: Downtown Flagstaff, Flagstaff Happenings, Weather, Gardening in Flagstaff, Cool Places to See, Great Places to Eat. These topics inspired me to think of post ideas. Working on this merit badge starting last summer has moved me forward with this endeavor.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  6:24:20 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (#5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“While I started my blog in 2011, I had only posted a few times and was discouraged with the lack of page views. With inspiration from this merit badge challenge, I set out to make changes. First, I began posting more. Then I got a domain name (myflagstaffhome.com). I started submitting my blog to blog lists and search engines. And what do you know? In the first month, I went from practically no page views to several hundred! I listed my blog on GirlGab and I have seen traffic come over from there as well.

It was really encouraging to see my blog traffic increase as I started posting more and got the word out about it. People seem to like the topics I cover.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  6:25:39 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (#5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I have really gotten into my blog now, thanks to MaryJane's Farm and the merit badge challenge. I now post a couple of times a week and I ALWAYS include photos. I'm now even considering starting a My Flagstaff Home youtube channel, so I'm exploring that as something to tie to my blog. I have begun to comment on blogs and youtube videos and my screen name is MyFlagstaffHome with a link to my blog.

This has become such a fun thing for me now. In just a few short months, I went from almost no visitors to my blog to well over 2000 visitors.

You should check it out!

http://www.myflagstaffhome.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  6:29:07 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (#5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I already knew how to knit, but had made only basic straight scarves. Then I found a pattern online and realized there was a youtube tutorial to go with it. Have you heard of verypink.com? What a wonderful resource with free patterns and videos. So... I taught myself (with the help of a video) to make an enterlac scarf. So, pretty!

It went great! It was beautiful. I made two more to give as gifts. I've attached a photo and I taught a friend to knit and she is working on her first scarf with some needles she is borrowing from me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  6:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (#5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“Okay, so I have already become an addict. My friend taught me how to make clog slippers that are felted. At one point I was knitting with three needles at one time! The slippers were huge when finished, but after felting, they fit like a dream. I actually met with a few friends to work on these. We knit together on three different nights for several hours.

This project was such fun, I made another pair in a different color. Now my mom wants me to make a pair for her. I've attached photos. They are so cute, they look like little teddy bear feet. I am so crazy about knitting now and have since made numerous dish cloths in varying patterns. Wow, knitted dish cloths work so much better than sponges and I even use one for washing my face now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  6:36:48 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I live in a very small yet historically rich community. There are exactly three organizations to choose from and belong to all three. The one that I am most active in is The Feliciana Country Gardeners Club. Since St. Francisville is historic land mark we are dedicated to not only preservation but bringing in people to enjoy the history and beauty to help support to up keep of it all. We donate our time and money to the grounds of historical sites and public buildings, schools and government buildings.

We continue to support our schools, our community, and our families with hands on projects”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  6:42:37 PM  Show Profile
Mary Steitz (#5651) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“Sewed a half apron from watching a you tube video. It was made from 5 fat quarters so this was a new technique for me.

I love it and especially loved the tip to use dental floss to gather the top of the apron. Very clever!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  6:52:51 PM  Show Profile
Mary Steitz (#5651) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“Coordinated a sewing project to benefit our local Heartbeat program.

Over 20 women participated in 3 day events to cut fabric kits and then sew baby items. Almost $1,400 worth of new baby items were donated including quilts, pack n play sheets, bobby pillows, nursing covers, bibs, burp cloths and tummy time blankets.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  6:56:06 PM  Show Profile
Mary Steitz (#5651) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Collected 6 reusable bags for shopping and use them regularly. I love it! Especially my bags made to keep cold items. I like NOT using all the plastic bags that tear and break.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  7:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“As I shared in the first level the Garden Club is a community Service with several purposes. Since St. Francisville is a small yet historic community in need of commerce and upkeep, we are one piece in the puzzle. We host Garden Symposiums that bring in guest speakers from all over the world and attract attendees from all over. My time is strictly volunteered and we provide everything for it. The town benefits completely. We sponsor a scholarship to local high school. We provide landscaping to local schools and businesses in an effort to keep st. Francisville going strong.

I help with all projects. I am also the photographer for the club. I have so enjoyed working with this group.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  7:09:00 PM  Show Profile
Phyllis Inglesby (#5645) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Using 6 reusable shopping bags I packed all of my groceries into them and put them into my car. This turned out great and liked the idea of not bringing home any more of the plastic ones.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  7:10:58 PM  Show Profile
Phyllis Inglesby (#5645) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“Did a 3 ring binder for someone in our new Faithful Farm Girls Sisterhood. It turned out wonderful and she is very happy with it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  7:13:18 PM  Show Profile
Phyllis Inglesby (#5645) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“By crocheting a 100% pure cotton yarn dish cloth. I did it in a simple single and double stitch. Turned wonderful in the color variation and I added a curly edge on top and bottom.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  7:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I used the pattern McCall's M5825 for the basic structure of my aprons. My fabric was a deep red with black silhouette's of kids, tree's and flowers. I used black fabric to make a bow attached to the right corner of the bib, ties, straps and pockets, then I sewed black lace across the pocket tops and along the bottom of the apron. On the Bib I sewed an applique that has a basket of berries and says Grandmother's are Berry Special.

I wore this apron to my local Farm Store.

I then made a similar apron for my sister Judy. I used Home Front Girl Military fabric for the bottom and bow. The fabric is light brown with words written in pink and brown. It is full of military sayings, your my hero, so proud, etc.

I used a pink fabric for the bib, ties, straps and pockets. Then added pink lace across the pockets and bottom of apron. I then hand-embroidered across the bib, "You are my Hero".

Both aprons turned out really pretty. I made Judy this apron in honor of all she does for people. Through her church, she serves meals, passes out clothing, pet food and a smile to Homeless Veterans and people in need.

She steps in where help is needed. She is always ready to help family, and friends if needed.

I made this apron also in memory of our brother Bill who was killed in Vietnam, my husband who is a WWII veteran and all our Military who protect us everyday, especially the spouses and family on the home front. They are all Heros”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  7:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Beverly Gamache (#5778) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I went through my house and boxed up all the cleaners in my house and gave them to my daughter as I did not just want to toss them away.This included among other things my Tide and a stain and odor remover for pets. I will be looking into DIY replacements for the products that have been giving away and have started a journal with the recipes that I will be trying. I do have to see if I can locate a laundry soap recipe that I used many years ago when my budget was much tighter and the homemade version worked very well and was made in large quantities.

My Mission Statement: This house will only use natural home-made cleaners. In an effort to keep our home environment as chemical free as possible. To the benefit of all who reside here. Both two-legged and four-legged.

I even took the time to sew together a plastic bag dispenser to reuse all those grocery bags. Eventually I hope to have enough reusable grocery bags made that I wont need any of the plastic ones. Around here we go shopping once a month and I fill up my HHR. So thats alot of bags. At least for now they are reused.

This was very interesting and although I have read many mission statements, I have never thought about writing my own or the meaning behind them. I think every home should have one. My journal is getting filled with many ideas to try for green cleaners. which also include shampoos and body lotions. I'm sure that some of these recipes will tossed and favorites will be found. Cant wait to try so many of them. I have shared my thoughts with my daughter who is just as excited as she is raising three special needs children and money can be tight at times. So she said pass on the good recipes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  4:19:27 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I read a bit on the history of origami. ORI meaning "folding" and KAMI meaning "paper". It is the traditional Japanese art of paper folding. There seems to be a little uncertainty on where it was originated. There are early examples of paper folding in China, Germany, Italy, Spain and a few other places. There are many different types of origami, but my favorite is wet-folding. This is paper that is dampened so it can be moulded easily.

I originally thought that making my own origami project would be super easy… boy was I wrong! I found a great website, origami-make.com and there are step by step instructions on how to make so many different animals, clothing, flowers, and insects! I chose to make a butterfly and a duck.

I had a blast! It was definitely trial and error! I think when I earn the next level, I will look into using origami paper instead of scrapbook paper. I would love to make an origami butterfly garland and hang it by the fireplace in honor of spring!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  4:22:56 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I researched the benefits of learning how to relax to promote good health. There are techniques that strengthen the immune system, which is great if you are dealing with an illness, whether it be a physical or mental illness.

Relaxation has been proven to help, asthmatics, diabetics, and lower blood pressure and cholesterol.

I have been practicing yoga for quite some time now, and I have learned the importance of the deep breathing. We have even meditated in class, and I cannot believe how energetic I feel for the rest of the day.

I used to fall asleep with the tv on at night, because I couldn't quiet my mind down. I bought one of those sound machines that will play 90 minutes of a rain shower, ocean waves, babbling brook, or thunderstorm. I put on the thunderstorm, take deep breaths, and I slip peacefully into a perfect slumber! My husband on the other hand has woken up in the middle of the night thinking our roof was leaking because of the fake thunderstorm!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page