Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  4:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“This is the second installment on Rosedown Plantation and Martha Turnbull. I worked at and attended a Garden Symposium where Suzanne Turner the Author of the book Martha Turnbull the Mistress of Rosedown Plantation was speaking. I had the privilege of not only hearing her speak but meeting and speaking with her. I enjoyed my visit and I enjoyed reading my signed book. Martha Turnbull was an incredible woman with a great interest in many things. Her husband was often gone and she was left to run the plantation.

I remain fascinated by this women and her daughters. They were multi-faceted in their abilities and interest. Totally modern in an antiquated system. I am however NOT impressed by Daniel Turnbull or his father. While obviously good business men, they were both not to my liking. In addition to the Symposium, I worked two years in a row during Spring Pilgrimage at Rosedown Plantation. I was assigned the Master bedroom and the upper porch so I could point out the features in the gardens.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  4:04:11 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I have been spending a lot of time in the buildings here in Saint Francisville. The antique store I work at sometimes used to be the general store - selling everything from flour to embalming fluid. Yuck! I had the chance to talk to the owner who, although quite old now, is the grandson of the original owners.

The ceiling has been draped with fabric to catch the falling pieces. No refurbishing work has been done. The bank built in 1800's is now Grandmother's Button's. A gift shop. The original vault is there and instead of money it holds the owners prized button collection which you can walk in a see. All floors and wall and ceiling a re original and well kept.

Most of the buildings that I visited including, court houses, plantations, bed and breakfasted that use to be private homes, market hall which has always been a public meeting building, the churches built in the 1800's.....all have been remarkably well cared for. Most have original wood work. This is because St. Francisville is a tourist attraction because of the Plantations. The one thing that I loved and I used in my home were the door pattern and the trim work that I found in the buildings and houses built during the regency period.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  4:29:23 PM  Show Profile
April Whitehair (April Whitehair, #5806) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I received many buttons from my mother who had been collecting for years. I also added several of my own to the collection. The ones I collected were all free, off of old clothing and from torn or stained clothing that we couldn't sell at the church rummage sale.

With my own buttons and the ones I got from my mother I now have many, many buttons.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  4:31:28 PM  Show Profile
April Whitehair (April Whitehair, #5806) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I made a pink and white button bracelet. The bracelet turned out well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  4:40:00 PM  Show Profile
April Whitehair (April Whitehair, #5806) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“This was the first time cross-stitching. I cross-stitched a small picture of a bird house.

I enjoyed cross-stitching. I can see my self doing more, just for fun, in the future. I think this project turned out well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  4:45:25 PM  Show Profile
Beverly Gamache (sageradish, #5778) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I sewed a straight seam by hand and by machine. I learned how to do some seams that I had not tried to do previously. Like the flat felles seam you would find on a pair of jeans. It being the strongest seam and it wont fray cause the raw edge is hidden. Also learned of some ways to finish a straight seam using pinking shears, zig zag, hemming and serging. I have made many pillow cases in the past and always use the french seam to hide all raw edges and give a very finished look.

I still think I like to sew seams with my machine more than hand sewing. But I did learn some new ways to finish my sewing projects which I will be using in the future.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  4:57:07 PM  Show Profile
Beverly Gamache (sageradish, #5778) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I already knew how to crochet and have been doing so since I was 13 years old. I did however go over the instructions in MaryJane's Stitching Room. I decided seeing that I was in the need of some dishcloths that I would make some of them. Then while on a visit back home my grandson who always sees me crocheting wanted to learn. So I taught him how to make a foundation chain followed by a simple single crochet.

Well I went a bit crazy with the dish clothes. But for the three hour minimum time investment I made 9 dish clothes which I have attached a picture for. Then I just continued on and made ten more. Sent 5 dish clothes home with my two oldest girls. My grandsons project is a winter scarf that he is working on and he has completed three inches of it. I don't think it will be ready for this winter but not bad for an eight year old boy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2014 :  3:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have been recycling for many years at our rural home. Curb-side is not available to us but about three miles from our home is a drop off spot. We have been recycling the usual things: paper, plastics, metal and glass. However, now I know that I can go to the district office about fifteen miles away and recycle CFL's, flourescent bulbs and batteries too. I also see that they offer paper shredding days too.

It was interesting to see that the company (Three Rivers Solid Waste Management District) is funded by a $12 user fee that is sent to every property owner in the county. I also did a web search to see where in my area I could recycle electronics and see that a Best Buy about twenty miles from me will do this.

I was very happy to find a place where I can recycle batteries and thanks to this research, I did that today! I also found that periodically there is a tox-away day at the district office so I will be watching for that to dispose of all the non-green cleaners I have collected while working on the Going Green Badge. I was surprised to see that things like paper plates and ceramics are not accepted. Plus, I will no longer put the pizza box in recycling since the website says that cardboard with food debris is not acceptable. That can go in my compost pile, I think. Thanks for this badge which really helped me research this topic and recycle more responsibly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2014 :  3:25:43 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Johnson (#5773) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I had some dish towels from Hungary that my grandmother brought back on one of there trips umteen years ago got some sun bonnet sue patterns with days of the week. It turned out great used to do these when I was a kid. ”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2014 :  3:36:31 PM  Show Profile
Mari O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Beginner: I was able to get rid of all non-burnable waste and reduce my weekly trash pickup.

Intermediate: Educated myself of which glass(es) are and are not recyclable.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2014 :  3:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Mari O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Pretty for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“Beginner: Started with a simple drawing of a barn.

Intermediate: I used the acrylics given to me by my daughter for Christmas to paint their new mailbox, using 12 colors.

Expert: I have painted with oil for years. Additionally, I have entered my paintings in our local county fair for years.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2014 :  3:45:52 PM  Show Profile
Mari O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“Beginner: I have my own chicken flock and currently sell organic eggs.

Intermediate: I currently can milk a variety of animals. In May, 2014, I am receiving a delivery of critically endangered chickens.

I've won many ribbons and had a blast!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2014 :  4:23:13 PM  Show Profile
Mari O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Birds Merit Badge!

“Beginner: Research all birds that land in our yard in addition to wandering the woods near our home.

Intermediate: Built numerous bird houses and feeders to observe them for identification from my bay windows.

I loved the enjoyment of watching their antics.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2014 :  4:32:36 PM  Show Profile
Mari O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“Beginner: Walked through our home and lubricated anything that squeaked. Oiled my bike chain. All garden tools oiled and maintained.

Intermediate: To the door that continued to squeak, I tightened the hinges with a screwdriver. The screwdriver was ineffective so I fixed it with a hammer. Problem solved.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2014 :  4:43:49 PM  Show Profile
Mari O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“Beginner: I own horses.

Intermediate: I have owned thoroughbred race horses and standard bred race horses. I read "Soul of a Horse."

Expert: To date, I have rescued 2 (two) miniature horses and care for them daily. They are both hard work and costly, but very rewarding.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2014 :  4:48:12 PM  Show Profile
Mari O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level 3 R's Rule Merit Badge!

“Beginner: Use tongue depressors to mark rows of the garden. Sharpened and cleaned garden tools prior to storing them.

Intermediate: Constructed a scarecrow, filled with straw and clothed.

Expert: I have always use watering cans AND old boots as planters. We pick up cans (to recycle) along the road. We get cash for the cans and the wildlife loves our planters!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2014 :  4:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Mari O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“Beginner: Reorganized my entire kitchen cabinets.

Intermediate: Created a perpetual list of needed items.

Expert: Sharpened every knife in the drawer, including my husband's pocket knife! I only cut myself twice!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2014 :  4:55:02 PM  Show Profile
Mari O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“Beginner: First aid kits are strategically located throughout the entire estate.

Intermediate: I am a first-aid instructor and plan on demonstrating the training at our next Farmgirl meeting.

Expert: I am an instructor. I have participated in many life-saving opportunities.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  2:29:35 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Stoll (#5264) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I sewed a half apron out of 2 cloth bags. I opened the bags and then cut out the chickens to form pockets on the front. This was great! I was extremely pleased with it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  2:33:02 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Stoll (#5264) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I designed a sampler. I used several different types of stitches including french knots, running stitches, back stitches, chain stitch, cable stitch, and more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  2:44:44 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I chose to make yogurt. I researched methods for good technique by reading Home Dairy with Ashley English. I decided to use the crockpot method and wanted to try one of my newest kitchen tools - a Wonderbag which I learned about in MJF magazine April-May edition to incubate.

I used the correct technique with a store-bought plain yogurt as my culture. The first batch was not as thick as I wanted so it became a batch of homemade vanilla frozen yogurt and was yummy! The second time, I added powdered milk to my milk base and it turned out exactly like I intended. It is science but seems like magic! LOL”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  2:51:56 PM  Show Profile
Tami Beeler (#765) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have been going to thrift stores now for several years looking for great used material and buttons. Over the past two years I have collected over 70 different types of buttons ranging from cloth to sterling .... I love buttons.

I have begun storing them in plastic boxes with dividers so I can keep them organized. I have separate ones for cloth, plastic, metal, men's, and sterling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  2:56:08 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I did a lot of research for this badge and shared my findings in the chatroom at: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66025

It is so much information to take in and I was quite disappointed to learn that the electricity I use is coal-sourced. However, I did find that my electric co-op has a program to get up to 30% of my energy from renewable resources.

It is obvious to me that wind and solar are the most reasonable sources these days but their output can be inconsistent. Therefore, it is really lifestyle changes that need to occur. The days of not thinking about my power usage are over. I truly love this about the Farmgirl lifestyle that helps me to reach out to learn things I didn't even know I needed to know...and once I know it, I can't un-know it so it spurs me to make lasting and sweeping changes. Thank you for that!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  3:05:28 PM  Show Profile
Monica Leigh Hancock (mlhancock, #5851) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“Since my home is already green, I made a gift basket for my best friend. I made the basket from rolled newspapers. I then filled it with handmade laundry soap, all purpose vinegar based cleaner, handmade scented candle, and all natural handmade soap. I included the recipes for all items in a cute index style card box. I also gave her the latest copy of Mary Jane's Farm Magazine.

She absolutely loved it. She said she had wanted to start trying to green up her home and life, but didn't know where to start. I told her that I would be there to help her as much as possible. I also recommended she subscribe to the magazine and join the sisterhood.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  4:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I know how to knit but it has been a while so I am rusty. I thought the best way to get into the swing of things was to join the farmgirl swaps and practice by making Washcloths to trade. I forgot to take a photograph of my first one, but this is my second trade and I am pleased with my work.

I remembered how to do cables and I was able to add some crochet in the form of a little flower.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page