Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  11:38:59 AM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K. #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I loved this and embroidery is easier then I thought. Both children and I learned together how to stitch 4 different stitches. I made a small sampler that I made into a patch to be sewn into my new messenger bag. I found the pattern online for free.

I really love the pattern and how it turned out. I can't wait till the kids get their's done as well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  11:52:12 AM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K. #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"Listened to "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" while I sewed. I would so be like her with the turkey...to funny. Sprouted mung beans...although they didn't get very big and sprouted a mix that turned out great. Got my kids to eat them by saying they were "Gnome salad." They liked them. No more yucky oils or bad sweeteners. Bought honey in bulk from a local apiary. 10 new way: homemade roll-ups, swiss chard in soup, lasagna, and bread, smoothies, dried veggies in yogurt cheese, more veggies in quiche, fruit snack in the afternoon, dried fruit in granola, and veggie roll-ups with cream cheese.

Can't wait to do the next level. Got the paperwork for our local CSA!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  4:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K. #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"Helped my sister-in-law to change to organic milk. Also let my in-laws try the organic free range chicken we got and they are sold. This year they will go with us on buying a whole organic steer, 25 chickens, and a whole pig from a local PA farmer. Talk about letting the food speak for itself! They thought it was the best they ever had...even made broth from the chicken.

The chickens were 7-9 pounds each. They were cornish rocks but not the genetically altered ones so he could let them grow longer naturally free range without their legs breaking. They looked normal to us but when we tried to cook one in the crockpot...LOL it wouldn't fit so into the dutch oven it went."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  2:35:28 PM  Show Profile
Karen Galindo (RaspberryBee #915) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

I had trouble deciding what to put my sewing kit into. After trying out the kit as the list suggested I felt I needed to add a few things and find a larger holder. I went with an arm chair bag a friend made for me a few years back. Its purpose is to sit on the arm of a chair with a weighted pin-keep and & sack to put threads and scraps in. It makes a really nice 'bag' to carry my sewing kit in now. The main kit is my original button tin as a kid & it holds most everything except the pin-keep (made from a sweater I felted with water and felting needles) & a tiny tin with multiple sized safety pins.

I put the kit together with the items listed. In addition to the thread, buttons (multiple sizes and colors), scissors, needles & two types of pins I added an emery board to keep my needles sharp, snaps & hooks (you never know), a seam ripper (I always need this tool), two thimbles & a few paper clips (what I put between cloth & button). I know it seems like a lot to have for a kit but I tend to need what I do not have with me so with this kit I am planning ahead.

I have used it over the past few weeks upstairs in my sewing room & downstairs while watching movies. As the weather warms up I plan to take it on the back porch & then the backyard. It will be a great kit to have in the tent this summer or anywhere the wind might take us. Thank you for this opportunity to put this together. I have a kit for embroidering, silk ribbon & needle punch but not just a simple sewing kit…thank you again.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  3:05:14 PM  Show Profile
Karen Galindo (RaspberryBee #915) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

I have always loved buttons. I am told that when I was an unhappy little one my mother use to pull out her button tin and all would be well for quite awhile. As I got older (8-10) I was no longer allowed to play with the box without supervision. I used to pull out my favorites and put them in my pocket and go about my day. Sometimes they fell out while I played without my knowledge or they showed themselves in the laundry. I did not understand that Mum wanted her buttons to stay her buttons. I was given a cool old tin to start my own collection along with a few buttons from my mother. I used to ask my mother’s friends if they had any buttons they no longer wanted and write to my grandmothers/aunts to send buttons. The plea for buttons sometimes worked and sometimes it didn't. My collection was slow to grow as I was (still am) particular about what buttons I would put in my tin. I have a penchant for mother of pearl (mainly white ones), china calicos/stenciled and any fancy button. I keep my favorites in bowls, jars and bottles around the house. I have started using some of the mother of pearl on a crazy quilt so there are bowls and containers in the areas that I stitch in most often. The picture enclosed shows my main spots for collections. My desk is an old vanity dresser minus the mirrors and I made one of the drawers over in purple velvet for my button collection. I can sift through them anytime I like. The other tin holds mainly buttons on cards handed down to me over the years. As time goes on and the older ladies in my/my husband’s family pass on I inherit the sewing items. The buttons in the pictures show those that I have inherited and collected from others along the way. Really the only buttons I have purchased are my “favorite” ones. I can not pass up a bag or bottle of shell buttons at an antique store or garage sale.

I am happy with my button collection. I love seeing buttons in my desk drawer, bottles in the kitchen, by my bedside. I love knowing that my new dress has red buttons on it that used to be a family members. I love knowing that some day down the road I can share my button collection with a person younger than me and maybe, just maybe she will put red buttons on her new dress. A circle complete.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  10:46:07 AM  Show Profile
Deana Miller (dmiller2003 #1118) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I bought three reusable bags from Target and four from another store. I also have reusable cooler totes for refrigerated and frozen items. I have two of these. I take them to the store when buying groceries.

I keep them in the vehicle so I do not forget them when I go to the grocery store."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  10:59:37 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I started reading the book, but was uncomfortable with some parts of it, so I skimmed through the last half of it. I watched the trailer of the movie, which inspired me to rent the movie and watch it.

We also have bee-friendly flowers in our garden, the main one being Lantana. There are also roses, yellow Jessamine, etc."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  11:16:49 AM  Show Profile
Christine Veert (northernkid, #955) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"Starting the first part of January each week I have bought a new organic item to try. I bought organic celery and made wild rice casserole with it and also ate it just raw. I made banana mash with organic yams. I made white bean casserole with organic dill. I made chili out of organic pasta sauce. I tried organic hemp granola and loved that. The only kind of apples, herbs and celery I will buy now are organic. I am continuing to try new things and increase our organic food intake.

It was fun to try new things and we enjoyed knowing that there was no nasty pesticide on the food we were eating. We felt healthier and the food does have a better taste."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  11:32:49 AM  Show Profile
Christine Veert (northernkid, #955) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I collected 50 plus buttons and started a collection that I really love.

I found some very old and interesting buttons."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  11:45:19 AM  Show Profile
Christine Veert (northernkid, #955) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I started a journal and recorded what I was grateful for each day not recording the same thing twice for 30 days.

I discovered that I had so many things to be grateful for and it made me start looking for the blessings in my life."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  11:56:13 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Harper (odd betty, #1047) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"Every year I hand make the bulk of my gifts. This year the men 17 of them received my own recipe beef jerky. Grandchildren, five of them were delighted with sock creatures. Mom-in-law and sister-in-law loved their old fashioned knitted shawls. My green way to help keep energy use down. I emboirdered many sayings for gifts. My favorite this year was "Age is better with wine." I need to check in the kitchen areas but I made 50 jars of gourmet canned goods. The pickles were made using a fresh grape leaf instead of salt to cause crispness. I could go on and on...

I was proud to keep telling my other half that we didn't go shopping. I had it all under control."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  09:50:46 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Harper (odd betty, #1047) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"I work in the special ed room in our school district. These children are very tactile. So I made 20 beans bags for the preschoolers and some for my grand kids too.

The bean bags were a welcome new supply for the kids. They can be stacked and do not fall over easily. I used different colored corduroy fabric so they can hold up the children's play. I was pleased to see the occupational therapist had put them to use in her sessions."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  10:07:49 AM  Show Profile
Melody Tigo (coffeemom, #833) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I got rid of my non-green cleaners and made my own using the "recipes," from the MJF magazine. I made cleaning spray, window cleaner, laundry detergent and fabric softener. I actually began a "green," journal before discovering MJF. In it I have fresh, organic recipes. I have clipped ideas from magazines for reusing and recycling. There are pages of "recipes" to make cleaners, laundry detergent, fabric softener, etc. I began teaching my sister how to do the same things by copying pages for her. I gave my sister spray bottles filled with basic cleaning spray, window cleaner, a "sample" of laundry detergent and fabric softener. She is now making her own!

I am very impressed with everything I have made for cleaning and laundry. They actually work better than "store-bought."
I feel empowered to be doing this on my own. My sister is thankful that she has learned these things from me and now we work together to find new ways of going green! We have grown closer as sisters and friends as we work on projects. I spread the word when I talk to my other friends and share "samples" with them as well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  10:24:27 AM  Show Profile
Juanita Massey (needy, #1020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Make-do badge.

"From the MJF magazine I made a bath mat from my husbands old tee shirts, The best mat I have ever owned.

It turned out great. I didn't have the size circle needle, so I used a size 13. It was real easy to do and I like making do and recycling. By the way I love your magazine and when you had the special on, I gave a subscription to a friend."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  10:55:53 AM  Show Profile
April Johnson (April Showers, #972) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Organic on a Budget badge.

"I made some sourdough starter and after a week I took out two cups for the bread and another two cups for the cinnamon raisin rolls. It takes all day for them to rise and then I baked them in the evening. I had the bread rise and bake in an old fashioned cast iron pot. I used the recipe off the MaryJane website. The no knead artisian bread. Both recipes are there.

They both turned out good. The bread was a little heavier than most but I am new to this so maybe thats just the way it is."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  12:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Deana Miller (dmiller2003, #1118) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have purchased both a steam mop and a steam cleaner. I will use these products to clean my home instead of using chemical cleaners. They steam clean and disinfect without chemicals, using water only. The mop replaces my wet jet. So along with replacing the chemicals it also eliminates the disposable pads I used. The steam cleaner has adapters to clean all surfaces of my home, eliminating chemicals and paper towels. I love knowing that what I am using helps keep my family safe. I will continue to find more natural and safe alternatives throughout our home. We also recently switched to an all natural laundry detergent and liquid dish washing detergent. Now I am looking into how to make my own laundry detergent, and natural room sprays using essential oils, to name a few."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  12:56:09 PM  Show Profile
April Johnson (April Showers, #972) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"This is a lap afgan I made for my daughter. I made a two-tone green one and also a red one. The picture does not show the colors very well. I did the work in rows and changed colors at the end of the row.

They both turned out very nice. My daughter says she cuddles under them all the time while watching t.v."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  1:03:12 PM  Show Profile
April Johnson (April Showers, #972) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I made a two tone green and white lap afgan I made for my daughters bedroom. It is a double crochet pattern."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  09:13:09 AM  Show Profile
Rise St Arno (Rodeorise, #597) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I taught my church's youth group to knit a quick light-weight decorative scarf they could wear even in Florida.

About 20 girls showed up some with their moms or friends. One girl had a hard time so she quit knitting & made us all laugh by putting her needles to use to keep us all amused."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  09:26:03 AM  Show Profile
Christine Veert (northernkid, #955) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I was resistant to this merit badge because we have hard water that I can hardly clean up with the harshest of chemicals. Then I met a local carpenter and corn farmer who was installling a new shower for us. He told me to use plain vinegar and let it soak. So I looked into green recipes and tried some out.

I tried pure vinegar, baking soda, made my own laundry soap with a vinagar rinse cycle, and warm water and micro-fiber clothes on the windows and mirrors. I was amazed on how effective it was. My windows have never been clearer. Our clothes are so soft and fresh and the hard water stain is a snap with vinegar. I am so glad I tried these because my daughter suffers from asthma and allergies and she should not be breathing in all those chemicals. Making a pledge to keep using these is easy because it is so much healthier. And I now have an organized journal with my new recipes and tips to try."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  09:51:50 AM  Show Profile
Christine Veert (northernkid, #955) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"My daughter and I had "sew," much fun doing this. We found matching vintage sewing baskets and supplied them with all the sewing supplies needed. Then we made pin-keepers from found objects. One was a little dutch shoe ornament and the other was a rusty candle holder. We sewed little circles and filled them with sawdust from our neighbors sawmill.

They turned out great and we are thrilled with our own personal kits."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  10:13:56 AM  Show Profile
Christine Veert (northernkid, #955) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"Since I already had many pictures on the wall I used my embroidery to make a carrying case for my bible. I used seven different embroidery stitches and used the blanket stitch to affix it to the case I sewed.

I just love how it turned out and wherever I take it people comment on how cute it is. When I tell them I made it for a merit badge they want to know all about it. I received the bible from my parents when I was 8-years old and so it was starting to look tattered. Now it looks brand new and should be good for another 30 years."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  10:20:22 AM  Show Profile
Christine Veert (northernkid, #955) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected six shopping bags and carry them in my van and I'm starting to use them.

The stores in our town have just started to charge per bag, so it's a good time to save money and be green at the same time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  10:35:11 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Galbreath-Fleming (missgive, #927) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have collected well over 100 buttons in the past month. I have hand-painted story buttons, specialty buttons, metal and wood buttons - all kinds. I don't sew, but use them in my art-work and scrap booking. I joined a button swap in the Farmgirl Barter Forum, organized by Channah. I love the buttons I have received and found it lots of fun!

I love the buttons which can act as centers to a fabric flower, can be an edge or broder of a page or be the focal point. It reminded me of visiting Zula Frick's Button Shop in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana. Zula was an elderly African-American lady who was seamtress to the well-to-do members of society and as their seamstress she collected buttons. She displayed them in drawers and could tell you the story of the gown it came from and who wore it. I loved visiting her shop 27 years ago and this reminded me of that time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  11:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addy731, #906) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Before it was a fad to carry your own shopping bags, I started trying to reuse the plastic ones or use paper bags because it really bothered me to ball up the aftermath of a large trip to the grocery store and dispose of them. Let's be honest...you have every intention of returning them to the store's recycle bin, but I always forgot and my husband would throw them away when I wasn't looking. I now keep a small army of reusable shopping bags in both of our cars for whatever we buy (clothes, groceries, etc.)

I use them everywhere I go and even got the Hubby to use them as well. My mom started buying a few herself and uses them when we go to the farmers' market too!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page