Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  4:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd (thebyrdhaus, #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“Since my husband retired and we are on a fixed income, we decided we needed to make some changes. We started by more closely monitoring our electric usage and other expenses in January in an effort to lower our household cost.

Our January electric metered usage was 878 KWH. We keep out thermostat set at 67 and wear sweaters. My husband and I both stay active so even in winter months he spends a lot of time outdoors. I stay active in the kitchen and in the house and don't sit much so I keep warm. At night we turn our heat down to 63/64. We only turn heat up when company complain…lol. We invested in a new energy star refrigerator and range this year in a effort to lower energy cost. We have also replaced our light bulbs as they burn out with energy star light bulbs. I have found I really like the plastic ones shaped like the Edison bulbs.

We put a lot of miles on our car and used an excessive amount of fuel in January. We do try to limit our local miles and make our trips out so that we combine errands and don't just run to the store every time we need something. We do get 26.5 miles per gallon on an average on our car. I read that driving one mile per hour slower will add six minutes to the trip, but save you $1.04 in gas. So we do try to watch our speed. We have 4 kids in the military. Those trips to see grandbabies will continue. I will cut expenses in other areas.

We have cut cost and will continue. Results on how we have done will be released when applying for expert level.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  4:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Since we live in Europe, many items can be recycled. In fact we are required to recycle. We recycle glass (sorted by color), all plastics, all metal, paper/cardboard, and wood. We have a system where my oldest takes the metal, paper, and glass items to the recycle bins around the corner. My husband carries the other recycles to the bins where he works. We also recycle many unneeded but useful items by taking them to our local freecycle center so someone who needs them can use them.

We have been taking our items to the recycling points for several months now.

Recycling at this level, especially with things having so many different drop off points,takes some getting used to but now that it is part of our routine it is not big deal and we are glad to be helping to keep things out of landfills.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  4:19:31 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level
Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Since we live in a country with an extensive recycling program and we eat mostly whole foods pretty much all of the packaging can already be recycled but I am conscientious about choosing products with recyclable packaging when there is a choice and choosing products with minimal packaging to begin with (i.e bulk items instead of individually wrapped items).

I have done lots of research about safe homemade cleaners for my home. I use Norwex cloths to clean most things with just water and I use baking soda or vinegar for anything that needs a little help. I use green cleaners for my toilet and for messes on carpet or furniture.

I have been making and successfully using homemade dishwasher powder for a while now. I am always interested in ways to reduce our chemical usage, this badge prompted me to continue brainstorming new ways to do so.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  4:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!!!

“Since we are living in Germany I am focusing on German. I can count to 10 in German and already know a few phrases to get around in the community.

Since I'm basically immersed in this culture here and will be for another two years this is both interesting and useful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  3:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Lynette McPherson (Aalea, #6300) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We started a rabbitry here at Rill Gardens. Last weekend we had 2 deliveries of 8 kits each. So far this winter we've delivered over 50 kits. Yes, we raise these rabbits for food!

I was a bit skeptical about eating rabbit but I discovered once you cook it in the crock pot it tastes like Chicken! I enjoy spend time each day with my herd of 40 rabbits and kits. And they have given me amazing free fertilizer for my garden beds.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  4:00:32 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“I made the following new recipes:

Breakfast BakeOver (bacon, onions, eggs, and griddle cake mix)
Lunch BakeOver (chicken & apple sausage, carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoe, pineapple, and orange & walnut scone mix)
Dinner BakeOver (chili and focaccia mix)
Dessert BakeOver (papaya, frozen strawberries, dried coconut, sugar, and brownies mix)

And, I shared my recipes online and in the chatroom.

The amount of liquid produced by the fruits and vegetables you put in your BakeOver affects the "doughyness" of the mix used to cover it. Conclusion, high liquid fruits and vegetables need a drier dough topping.

Experimenting was a lot of fun. Delicious too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  4:08:50 PM  Show Profile
Megan Ellis Raffaelli (mme00129, #6287) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“A week ago, I purchased five two week old Ameraucana pullets to raise for yard eggs. (Henrietta, Hilda, Ethel, Ladybird and Drumstick).

Right now, I still have all five inside and they are learning to come to my voice when I sing as well as flying around their brooder.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  4:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Chaille Chilcote (#6197) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I went to our local recycling facility and they had a flyer that told what could be recycled and what could not.

It turned out very well the flyer was simple and easy to understand and read.

Made it easy to start recycling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  4:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Chaille Chilcote (#6197) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“After I picked up the flyer from the recycling facility I would reference it for when I was about to throw something away.

Seeing how we live in the country I drive to a near by city to drop off our recycling. It cuts down on are garbage so much.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  4:18:43 PM  Show Profile
Chaille Chilcote (#6197) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I continue to take my recycling to the same facility and have told my friend about the place as well so she can start recycling.

I believe getting my husband on board was the biggest goal and he is doing well.

I just feel great about not throwing items away that can be recycled knowing that they will not sit in a landfill for forever.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  4:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Melanie Jones (#4211) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“About two months ago I started walking on my lunch break at work, and immediately started loosing weight. Just about one month later I lost ten pounds and noticed I was gain back a little, also my appetite that had been slightly suppressed was returning.

I came to find out I am having my third baby! So bring on the walking and healthier eating!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  4:29:50 PM  Show Profile
Carole Prevost Meier (ceridwen, #3610) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“For the expert level I decided to involve the employees of my small business to recycle. They have been educated in separating their garbage, washing their cans etc. For our club meet, we no longer use Styrofoam cups but ceramic cups for our coffee/tea. We do use plastic forks but we wash them after each use. We each have our water glass. There is a compost bin that is used for our coffee grounds and teas as well as other foods.

I'm enjoying how it turned out. I have a lot less garbage, hence less makes it to the landfills. We have been using this system at home. As stated in my beginner & intermediate level, we stopped our weekly rubbish pick up to reduce cost and wow. We are down to less than one bag of rubbish a week (including the business). We compost etc ... Love the savings and the rich soil I get for my gardens. This system has no end date.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  4:33:33 PM  Show Profile
Carole Prevost Meier (ceridwen, #3610) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“On Nov 1/14 I posted on the Scattered Prairie Henhouse about gratitude and asking if anyone would like to join me in earning the gratitude badge. It would also be a way to motivate each other. Posts are available from the Henhouse forum. The Book of Awesome was purchased on 06/04/14 but I didn't start reading until November.

It's not easy coming up with a different gratitude every day! I've always written 5 things that I am grateful for (I have been keeping a gratitude journal on and off since 1997), for this exercise, I made sure one of the gratitude was not a repeat. Sometimes you really go back to the basics - it's really the simple things in life that counts. As for my fellow farmgirls, I'm hoping that they didn't forget to apply for the first level like I did! So grateful I remembered! (that's only because I took the time to update my Merit Badge Binder with the new additions). My journal is ongoing. Working toward the other levels.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  4:41:12 PM  Show Profile
Megan Ellis Raffaelli (mme00129, #6287) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“-Definition of jubilee: A special anniversary of an event

-The British Diamond Jubilee had events in each of the Commonwealth of Nations through out the year to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's 60th year reign. I thought it was very interesting that each nation participated in a lighting of thousands of beacons beginning on June 4th. For the non-royalty events, a bank holiday was declared and people were encouraged to celebrate the holiday by having block parties.

-I have posted my two ideas for how I will be celebrating this year's Jubilee.

As of right now, I'm working on planning my picnic menu and beginning working on my chicken coop banner.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  4:47:34 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Birds Merit Badge!

“My husband made this feeder out of a canning jar, wire and a chick feeder.

I hung it by my kitchen window where I can watch blue jays, cardinals, mourning doves, sparrow and wood peckers feed every morning.

It took them awhile to figure out how to stand on the feeder to eat but once they did they were eating all the time. Now that. Now that it's warmer I will cut back on the feed.

I love watching the birds feed and to be able to identify the many different types.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  4:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (ShellyS, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I've oiled every door and hinge in the house. I oiled all the bikes and they needed it, also i oiled all my garden tools and put them away. No squeaky doors in my house.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  4:53:57 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (ShellyS, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“The back door has a problem closing and staying close. So i got my tools and got to work.I replaced the door handle and dead bolt lock.

The door closes great and locks now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  4:59:03 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (ShellyS, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Knotty Farmgirls Merit Badge!

“At our farmgirl meeting we learned how to tie a square knot, a bowline knot and a two half hitch knot.

I made a rope swing for my daughter in the back yard.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  5:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (ShellyS, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“Today I took 5 minutes to myself no television no radio nothing pure silence. Breathing deeply i cleared my mind and relaxed.

I felt great after doing this i'm going to make this a daily thing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  3:50:52 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I live in the country and there are no young kids around me so I went to my daughters house and oiled the chains on all of their bikes. I also checked all the tires with a tire gauge and aired up the ones that needed air.

The grand kids now know how to take care of their own bikes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  3:59:21 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Connecting Growers & Eaters Merit Badge!

“I volunteer at the Crosslines Ministries Garden during the summer. I put in well over 6 hours each summer. The food grown is given to the ministry food pantry which gives it to people.

Some of the people that received the fresh produce now grow some of their own.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  4:02:38 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I learned how to sharpen my kitchen knives using a whetstone. Now I am able to keep my knives sharp which is great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  4:11:24 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“I haven't been in a jubilee but I was involved in Washington State's centennial celebration. For it I was in a parade of covered wagons and horseback riders showing what people did 100 years before. It was exciting and very fun to pretend. Although it didn't have the name Jubilee it was a good example of one I think.

The Diamond Jubilee was quite a celebration. How fun to have a party for weeks on end. Although I have to imagine the Queen must have been quite tired from it all. I love how the whole community got involved. From just supporting the Queen along parade routes to having street parties. I really liked the effort people went to light beacons from the highest points in her dominion. Even people that weren't fully happy with their country could still find ways to celebrate a steady woman in their kingdom.

So far our farmgirl jubilee will involve a tea party, with apron wearing). There aren't very many farmgirls around me but my daughters and I will have enough of a party. We are planning on planting the sunflower house like in the recent MJF magazine and the first weekend in May is just about the right time to start it. I am also starting plans to combine my two small fairy gardens into more of a fairy city this year.

So far I am enjoying my apron and shopping for new supplies for my fairy garden expansion. The seeds have been bought for the sunflower house but since it is still a little chilly here in Montana it won't get planted until the Jubilee.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  4:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a half apron following the clothespin apron pattern from the Ideabook. I actually made 3. One for a farmgirl, one for me, and one for a friend who loves chickens. I also learned how to use my sewing machine better. I learned how to use the embroidery function on my machine to embroider names, phrases and designs on to my sewing projects.

I love my apron! Although I have quite a few already from people I seem to always need another one. I have a clothespin apron from a farmgirl swap that I love for clothespins. My clothespin apron is being used for gardening to keep my tools close at hand when I need them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  4:25:12 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I researched gray water and how it can be collected. I reuse water from my fish tanks to water my house plants which has the added benefit of the fish waste for fertilizer. The kids waste a ton of water by leaving faucets running when they don't need them to be. They have been practicing turning the faucets off as well as dumping used drinking water in the house plants instead of down the sink. I have been using a 10 gallon bucket for a rain barrel under our major downspout for 2 years now. This spring I am upgrading to a 50 gallon rain barrel.

The 10 gallon bucket works great since we don't get a lot of rain but it isn't the prettiest and occasionally we get enough rain across our roof that the bucket fills before we empty it. The new one will let us use the water is smaller volumes and hold more water.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page