Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  3:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn Hartman Sullivan (#6318) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I did some research about what the rules were for recycling in my area -- what was acceptable and what was not.

I was happy to work on this badge. I have been an avid recycler for years, having a wonderful curbside service when I lived out west. At that time and in that place, we had to separate our recyclables into glass, paper and aluminum. Early on, there wasn't a lot that was accepted, but we were glad to recycle what we could.

I moved here about 4 years ago and rented an old barn to live in on a farm. The owner of the farm kept a big dumpster up near the road for our garbage, but did not provide recycling bins. Luckily, my daughter lived very close by and didn't mind my bringing my bin over to empty it into hers, because she had a curbside service. Every few days I would load it into the back of my car and haul it over to her place. My grandsons would often come out to help me break down boxes, etc.

Then about a year ago, I moved in with my sweetie. The neighborhood has trash pickup and curbside recycling available, but he does not subscribe to either, as we bring our garbage into town to put in the dumpster at his business.

Chester County, PA provides single-stream recycling bins in several locations for people who don't have home garbage pickup, and one of their little stations is alongside the road on our way to work. I set up a little recycling bin near our door and make sure that we bring everything in to drop off once or twice a week on our way to work.

The teensiest little bit of conflict began to arise, however, over what exactly could and could NOT be recycled. Dude never wants to throw away anything that might possibly have a future use, so he had always put nearly everything into the recycling bins. I had always been told that the plastic caps should be removed from bottles before recycling -- Dude just chucked them into the bin. I had always been told NO to waxed cartons, like milk cartons -- Dude threw those right in, saying that the wax would melt off during the recycling process. So I was quite happy to find (during the course of my research for this badge) that Chester County has miniature versions of their "Yes and No" posters available online!!!! I printed the posters and have them in my hot little hands. I plan to laminate them and post them next to our bin, so that there's no question in future (and no arguments!) about what may and may not be recycled.

Just saying -- NO to milk cartons.
Surprisingly -- NO pet food bags!
And NO caps or lids.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  3:55:12 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“A jubilee is a celebration of a special event. It can also be called a jamboree. I have attended/participated in two jamborees for the Boy Scouts of America. I helped man a booth with information regarding electricity and a short presentation on electrical safety.

The scout jamborees are exciting with a lot of energy. The boys ask great questions and are excited to see new things.

For Queen Elizabeth's jubilee it seems that the regular people in England were excited for her and did a lot of singing in the streets and cheering for their queen.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  4:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Houck (teehee80, #6259) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Breadmaking Merit Badge!

“I made cookies using baking soda as the leavening ingredient, biscuits using baking powder as the leavening ingredient, & zucchini bread using both baking soda & baking powder. I learned that baking soda is much faster acting than baking powder & should only be used when you are going to immediately bake your bread after mixing your ingredients such as in quick breads. Also, baking soda has a bitter taste so it is best used when baking something that has acid in it (such as lemon juice, yogurt, or buttermilk) that counteracts the bitter flavor.

Everything turned out really well!! My husband especially loved the zucchini bread! I was having to chase him away from it while it cooled so I could take a picture before he started nibbling on it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  4:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Houck (teehee80, #6259) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Breadmaking Merit Badge!

“I went to a Sisterhood get together with my Farmgirl Sisterhood sisters "Sisters On The Hood". We made bread together from one of the sisters home recipes. After we baked the recipe together I went home & experimented using "Instant Rapid Rise" yeast instead of "Active Dry" & used less rise times & kneading.

My results were very much the same but I believe the "active dry" loaf had a better quality taste & texture than my "rapid rise" loaf. I assume that this is due to the linger rise times allowing the full flavor of the yeast to come across in the bread.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  4:16:25 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson (atkinst2, #1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I have been keeping a gratitude journal for about 6 months now. I write one thing to be grateful for each day. I found it to be easier for me to do this on a calendar.

I also enjoyed the book "The Book of Awesome".

I think that the task of writing at least on thing to be thankful for each day the next day is made better. It is so easy to see only the ugly in this world today and by forcing those things out and looking for only the good things is good for the mind heart and body.

I have the book as an ebook so I can easily go back and read a passage anytime I am feeling blue.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  4:19:53 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson (atkinst2, #1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“While visiting friends in Arizona I had the opportunity to help out some friends with their horses. I helped clean the stalls and feed each horse.

The three that they have are:
Sierra, a miniature pinto paint, Argento, a Paso Fino and a mare that is a Rocky Mountain.

I think my favorite is still an Appaloosa like the one my family had when I was a child.

I love being around horses. If I ever get to live somewhere where I can have horses again, I would surely have horses like I did growing up in Utah on a ranch.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  4:23:38 PM  Show Profile
Betty Hoffman (Dapple Grey Lady, #5589) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“Jubilee ~ (n) noun. A special anniversary of an event, especially one celebrating twenty-five or fifty years of a reign or activity.

When my parents had their 50th anniversary, we had a celebration with all of our family at my home. The cake was made as close to their original one with the original caketop by one of my sisters. We have lots of pictures commemorating this very special event in our family.

The British Diamond Jubilee for Queen Elizabeth was on June 5, 2012. Some of the celebrations were: The Big Jubilee Lunch where people were encouraged to have lunch with neighbors and friends. A pageant on the Thames, a BBC concert, 2,012 beacons lit throughout the UK, and finally a day of celebrations in central London with a service at St. Paul's Cathedral followed by two receptions, a lunch, a carriage procession and finally a balcony appearance, flypast and Feu de Joie. The queen also traveled widely across many places.

I posted about my plans for jubilee. I will also wear my aprons.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  2:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Miranda Strickland (Missus Miranda, #3535) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“About a week ago, I got fed up with the amount we were either tossing or burning, and started looking in to where I could take things for recycle. As it turns out, there is a facility 20 minutes from our farm, and more a little further, but take bigger items or items our local facility doesn't take.

I have found a few places to take glass bottles, plastic jugs and bottles, and paper, and now I just need to set up a system for it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  2:45:55 PM  Show Profile
Linda Olivera (quiltee, #1919) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I finished my MJFG 2015 Jubilee Apron using the pattern found in the MJF magazine and selected as our official Jubilee Apron pattern. I also made 2 identical aprons for new Farmgirl friends I am meeting this week. I wear my aprons, and now this apron, in the kitchen and all around the house. I love aprons and they are hanging in various places in my house.

I love how these aprons turned out, and the large pockets are great for clothespins or whatever else I want to put in them. I used 2 different fabrics with cherries on them and a polka dot strip at the top of the pocket to add a band to the pocket. Because of these fabrics I call these my "Cherries Jubilee" aprons. LOL! I added a machine-embroidered label that says "2015 Farmgirl Jubilee" on the top left-hand pocket band.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  2:51:39 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I found a zentangle design online, and I copied it and sort of changed it to what I wanted. I drew it in pencil first, then wrote over that with a micron pen. I colored it in with watercolor pencils, and then painted it with water.

I made this little picture for my aunt and sent it to her in a card. I like how it turned out, and I hope she likes it. I think in the future I would prefer using the watercolor pencils as only embellishment for a predominately white paper. Watercolor pencils are new to me, and I'm still getting used to how they work.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  3:02:00 PM  Show Profile
Jackie Beauchene (miles2go, #6270) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I covered a small cardboard box, that has a lid, with material. I used a hot glue gun for the task.

I then made a mini pillow out of stuffing and fabric and glued it to the top of the box.

The pillow is my pin cushion, (the fabric has little scissors all over it) and the inside of the box has all of my hand-sewing supplies. I love it! It is very accessible and very crafty looking.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  3:11:49 PM  Show Profile
Cathie Toppari (#6366) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I have my own flock of chickens (and ducks). I have 3 Rhode Island Red, 4 Barred Rock hens, one Rhode Island Red Rooster. and 8 ducks (mix of Khaki Campbell and Mallard. At the moment, we are raising them for eggs (which they give an average of 7 a day). They are fun to take care of and watch. Try to be in a bad mood after feeding them treats (especially grapes).

It turned out so well, I got 8 more chicks (4 Asians and 4 Bantams). I think I am becoming addicted... ha ha.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  3:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Cathie Toppari (#6366) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have a fairly large collection of buttons that I have collected and were given to me by my Mother in Law. I have all different sizes and have used many on many occasions. The last time was when I crochet hand towels to give as gifts and used my buttons on them.

They were helpful to have, I'm glad I had them. My Grand kids also enjoy stringing them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  3:43:32 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkins (atkinst2, #1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Safe Toys Merit Badge!

“I made 7 different little monster bean bags and gave them to my Grandson for his birthday.

He loves them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  3:54:39 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn Hartman Sullivan (#6318) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I made more of an effort to educate my household as to what could and could not be recycled and set up a recycling area at home.

Although we had already been recycling for a while, I still needed to do some tweaking of our system. Some things that were not really acceptable were being put into our bins I printed small versions of the County single-stream requirements to keep in our at-home bin, so there won't be any question about what's acceptable and what's not.

Now that it's gardening season, we are even taking our kitchen waste out to the garden and building a "comfort bed" for compost. So very little going into the actual garbage these days!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  4:01:02 PM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level
Recycling Merit Badge!

“We pay for having curbside recycling in my hometown. If you simply dump everything in the recycle container. You also have the option of dropping your recyclables at a trailer if you don't want to pay for curbside.

I did got a fabulous handout from the city office that did list items that were not accepted at the recycling trailer. All right there in 4 color printing!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  4:04:36 PM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“Did a gratitude journal & read the book The Book of Awesome. (I thought the letter was part of beginner so I hadn't submitted this yet).

I had as part of my FitBit logging done my gratitude journal everyday in February. I didn't get the Book of Awesome from the library until mid month.

It was hard to think of something new everyday with no repeats. I found I was so thankful for multiple aspects of my family, friends and work every day but I tried to not repeat those aspects.

I found the book interesting however it was hard to find gratitude in small of the smaller things in life since those were often a result of family, friends or work.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  4:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Heidi Bragg (#6211) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I maintained a gratitude journal daily for more than a month.

I have been reading the recommended book. The one thing I enjoy about taking time to express my gratitude is that more and more small things happen for which I am grateful.

I don't win the lottery every day, but I am fortunate in so many ways!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  4:18:55 PM  Show Profile
Linda Cole (#4879) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I went to the local senior center and ask the lady in charge who there could knit. She introduced me to a lady named Mary Germain. Mary ask me what I wanted to be able to knit and I responded "socks". She showed me how to count my stitches and to pearl and knit. I proceeded to make a square after many, many tries. After the square I made a shaw. Then made a boggin. The boggin looks like the cap worn by the wolf in little red riding hood. I gave these to my daughter,(the cap as a joke). She wore these to church and got many compliments. It amazes me what a person will like.

The shaw turned out fine but the boggin just did not make the grade even thou the mistakes I made were small ones. I guess I should make my daughter a set that is not laughable.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  3:21:19 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (critzyj, #5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I did a big kitchen makeover in the past months, reorganizing all of my cabinets and drawers. I have eliminated all storage containers that were not being used, gave some to a young couple moving into their first house, and put the rest in a garage sale.

Freedom! It's a pain to organize, but feels so good when it's done. I love opening each and every cabinet and drawer in my kitchen now that everything has a place.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  3:23:01 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (critzyj, #5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“For me this level was about make a kitchen "don't need" list or sorts. I had too much stuff taking up space in the kitchen. In particular, there were things in the back of cabinets that I like and want to use, but forgot I had, so I rearranged things and so I can see and access what I have and gave a bunch of stuff away.

Reorganizing in this way was refreshing and reminded me that if I can't see it, I won't use it and if I don't use it, I need to find it a new home. I love my kitchen now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  3:25:21 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (critzyj, #5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“This was a great excuse to sharpen my knives. I have a traditional sharpener and a fancy electric one. Even still, I can't even remember the last time I sharpened my knives.

I just added "knife sharpening" to my periodic chores list... those things I do a few times a year. Now, I will remember and always have sharp knives when cooking. This was a great reminder.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  3:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (critzyj, #5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Let's get Physical Merit Badge!

“In the past year I have been making more of an effort to buy organic. In addition, I keep a vegetable garden and use only natural pesticides (Bt, Neem oil). I also can, dehydrate, freeze, and store food in other ways, so I can eat my own organic produce throughout the year. Still walking regularly, too.

I love this focus on healthier living.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  3:53:16 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (critzyj, #5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Let's get Physical Merit Badge!

“My goal at the beginning of 2015 was to do three races as a walker. I did my 19th half marathon in January and am registered for another in August. I will likely do a 15k in December to complete this goal.

I have been motivated to keep up on this journey and I registered to walk a FULL marathon in January 2016. It will be my 5th one, but my last was over five years ago. That said, the preliminary stages of training have begun. I'm walking 3-4 miles 3-4 days a week. In June the half-marathon training schedule will begin and in August the serious training for the full marathon distance will begin.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  4:08:05 PM  Show Profile
Diane Kasperzak (DiDi, #3657) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“I researched the meaning of the word 'jubilee' - which is not necessarily an anniversary, but any occasion of joy and celebration. I believe I took part in a jubilee when, as a troll collector since the 1960's, I celebrated the second troll craze in the 1990's. I developed friendships with other troll collectors by mail, wrote and published in newsletters troll poetry that I wrote, and photos of trolls that I took. I even went on a troll tour in Denmark and Norway (home of the trolls).

I researched the Queen's Jubilee - her 60th birthday celebration. People celebrated world-wide - and in particular, regular people took place in the light of torches to celebrate the occasion - thousands of them! - around the globe.

I posted on the Farmgirl chat room, my ideas for celebrating the Farmgirl Jubilee - by both delivering in canning jars to local friends and family, and by mailing to those far away, a description of the Jubilee, along with a packet of carrot seeds and a recipe for "carrot-cake" refrigerator oatmeal.

Well, I am happy to learn about anything positive, and a jubilee certainly is that. I'm also looking forward to sharing with my friends and family, each year, something fun to honor the Farmgirl Jubilee. I can't wait to hear what next year's theme will be!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page