Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  2:28:17 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Available recycling (no curbside):
- Aluminum
- Antifreeze
- Appliances, large (i.e. refrigerators, washers, dryers)
- Batteries, lead-acid (car, truck, boat)
- Cans (aluminum, steel)
- Cardboard, corrugated (i.e. packing boxes)
- Carpet padding
- Cooking oil
- Glass (green, brown, clear)
- Oil/gasoline mixtures
- Paper (newspaper and inserts, magazines, catalogs, office paper, unwanted mail)
- Plastic bottles and jugs (#1-#5)
- Tires (limit 4 tires per visit, NO off-road tires or big truck tires)
- Used motor oil, filters, and bottles

Interested in working towards my intermediate level, and figuring out how to implement a recycling plan.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  2:31:26 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“-Our power is generated via nuclear, natural gas, solar, coal, and hydroelectric., with nuclear, coal, and natural gas each being 30%.

Nuclear
- Inside a closed system, water is heated by uranium fuel and kept under pressure
- Water is run through a steam generator
- Water is used over and over again. Generator heats a separate loop of steam which turns the turbine to make electricity
- Steam is condensed by cooling water, and then reheated to repeat process

Natural Gas
- Combustion of natural gas forces turbine blades to spin
- spinning turbine is attached to a generator, which produces electricity
- Steam is cooled in a condenser by water from a nearby river or lake. The condensed water returns to the plant and the cycle is repeated

Solar
- Right now it is only a VERY small percentage
- By 2019, hoping to produce 60% of energy via non-carbon emitting energy

Coal
- coal is ground into a fine powder & then burned in a boiler to produce steam
- steam spins the turbine, turning the generator and producing electricity
- steam is cooled in condenser with water from nearby river or lake. Cooled steam turns into water & is returned to the broiler to be used again
- cooling water returns to lake or river. Water is used to condense the stream, and then goes through cooling towers before reentering a river

Hydroelectric
- Water is held behind a dam creating a reservoir
- When water is released through the dam, it passes through a turbine generator producing electricity
- When energy demand is low, some of the plants pump water back into the reservoir to store for reuse.

I had no idea that that our power was via coal and nuclear, though I knew part of it was natural gas. Eventually, when we move, we would like to be powered primarily via solar and wind.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  2:36:58 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Houck (teehee80, #6259) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-arms Merit Badge!

“I had already taken hunters safety classes when I was a kid so I took a concealed carry class at my local gun store that is recognized by my state as the class needed to obtain a permit for carrying a concealed handgun.

It was very informative & more fun than I thought it would be. I have grown up hunting & using firearms with my family but had never taken this class or previously obtained my concealed carry permit.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  2:43:47 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca White (Beccalou, #6430) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I put together a sewing kit with a handmade pin topper. I knew that I wanted something a bit different then just the basic jar with a topper. I looked for an old tea cup or a child's shoe, or a tin mug. But I found a beautiful glass mug with roses on it and had some rose material at home. so I used that. I grabbed some fiber-fill and made it into a ball and put the rose material around it, I fastened it with some wire that I had. Then I added some thread in several colors, an needle threader, some old fashioned buttons, and a small pair of scissors. on the top in the pin keeper, I added PINK safety pins, several straight pins with glass heads and an assortment of needles. I then decorated around the band of the top and added a lace bow on the handle.

"Cute as a button" would be a good description. I love the vintage vibe that I gave it with the roses on the mug and the roses in the pin keeper. The green lace and the green and white ribbon just add to that vintage feel. This is a wonderful sewing kit and one that I plan to leave out in the guest bedroom, so that others can see it as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  2:49:18 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca White (Beccalou, #6430) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“When shopping years ago, I always opted for Paper bags because they were reusable for many things and would eventually break down. When the reusable bags started being offered at different grocery stores as well as others (such as Jo-Ann's), I was more then ready and eager to use them. The last count is about 16 bags. I keep 5 in the big farm truck, 3 in my little truck, and three in the car. The rest are being used to hold Yarn and crafts right now. That way if we end up having to travel somewhere to get something, I have something to take with me to keep me occupied.

Since I have been using them for so long it really has become second nature to grab them when I go shopping. Even when I go to a store that does not have bags I take them in with me, Like Tractor Supply. I think I am at a point, that I would be lost without them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  3:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Harmon (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I planted two vegetable gardens,several in the bucket method, and herbs in pots.

I Researched and am using organic pest control. I am trying a new way of planting tomatoes. I am using bat guano and worm castings.

I Read “Montrose: Life in a Garden” by Nancy Goodwin.

I really enjoyed the book and decided to write a blog about the whole process and why one should garden. I included several pictures of my garden and herbs. I also wrote about “Montrose: Life in a Garden” by Nancy Goodwin.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  3:48:29 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I have enjoyed embroidery for years, and going back to it just a few years ago, I got into redwork, and lately I have been working on a teapot block quilt, but only have 15 of the 18 blocks embroidered as I work on it here and there during this past year. It will get embroidered and together this year but could not count it as a project.

I did a sampler which I designed on a nice square of fabric I purchased in a back of fabric from a local auction. It is always fun to find treasures and many of the things I don't want I pass on or take to the thrift store. I enjoyed this project, but wanted to use my sampler as a pillow cover, which I have now done.

I put some of the book and verse locations of some of my favorite Bible verses. I also did some of the stitch designs shown in your sampler ideas and books I have purchased and some I have used on crazy quilts. It turned out wonderful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  3:55:47 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Cotney (BeautifulBibliophile, #6448) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“Whenever I buy something new to wear, I clip off the little envelope with spare buttons in it and save it in a special box on my dresser. I decided to go through this box and see how many buttons I had.

I wound up with a collection of 170 buttons, not counting beads, sequins and clasps! Some had been there for 15 years or more, and I had a hard time remembering the garments they came from. I am proud to say that I held on to these buttons and what I varied collection I have.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  4:01:16 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Intermediate Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I copied patterns from one of my MJF books and embroidered three veggie towels for my glamper. I also embroidered and stitched my MJF Sisterhood patches onto a denim jacket that I wear to town or glamping. I decorated it awhile back with rick rack and some other things.

Both the towels and the jacket turned out well. I use the towels and do not just have them hanging around. Friends comment on the fact that I use both these hand embroidered towels at home and while camping. I did several sets a few years ago for my kitchen and enjoy using them. They dry well and hold up well. As for the jacket, it makes for great conversation and I have a few ladies that are thinking about joining the sisterhood. Yeah!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  4:09:27 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I have some red work that I have hanging in my bedroom but did that some years ago so cannot count it. I just wanted to tell you how much I did enjoy doing it. I did make a "glamping" pillowcase and embroidered GLAMPING on it and some flowers plus I crocheted an edging, but did that almost 3 years ago now so cannot count that either, but it was a fun project. I purchased some stamped pillowcases to embroider, thinking from Hobby Lobby, and they are called tall flowers. I made them in many colors and enjoy using them on my bed. They are what I did for this badge and enjoyed doing them and enjoy using them.

These cases turned out very nice and are cheery to sleep on. My daughter liked them so much and thought I really needed to share them with her. I may have to do a special pair for her in the future. Thanks for all the wonderful project suggestions. I enjoy telling my knitting circle what I have been working on besides knitting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  4:12:02 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I have crocheted for years and enjoy making scarfs, hats, and even have enjoyed doilies and bags. I do also make dishcloths but prefer the knit ones to the crocheted ones. I have made some pretty potholders also.

For this badge I made a scarf, crocheting it the long way and using up scraps of yarn. It was crocheted in the back of the stitches and made it ridged which adds to the texture and prettiness of it. I actually made three of these scarfs and have two to send in my box to the Native American Elders Project in Utah, which I mail out each August with hats, scarfs, socks and mittens and this year even a sweater.

My scarf turned our very festive and I worked on it once at my knitting circle so I could show another lady how to crochet. She likes knitting better, but she at least tried to crochet.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  4:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I decided to make a carry tote, actually making two and use one for my library book tote, and the other I am using to take to a friend's home where I am teaching not only her, but her two daughters, ages 8 and 6 to crochet. I have crocheted in front of them, and at my knitting circle when I was working on a scarf and also while glamping and a friend came to visit.

My totes are so nice. I used double strands of yarn and also sewed a corduroy lining for them. I used one of them at the grocery store and the cashier checked it all over as she was learning to crochet so I shared to pattern with her later.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  4:16:02 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I have been teaching several people to crochet, and have a few more ladies that have asked me to do so. I start them with a chain and then in making a scarf, or dish cloth, and then they can move on to a hat. For my project, I again took much left over yarns, and used some double and some single and made granny squares, small ones, about 4 inches square. Then I crocheted them together into a very long shawl for myself. I put fringe on it also of multiple colors. It is cheery, heavy, warm, and I use it when glamping, either early morning just to pop out with my Daisy Dog or in the evening sitting outside by the camp fire.

I believe this piece turned out very lovely. I have had lots of compliments on it. My daughter in love (yes, love, not law but they are legally married for 25 years now, she and my son) is an avid crocheter. She checked it all over when coming out for breakfast one morning recently while I was glamping near the lake. She plans to make one for a friend and use up some of her scrap yarns.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  4:22:34 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“I completed a basket of expert level (for me), and created a gift basket of another basket I made. I gave the gift basket (filled with a homemade candle, homemade apple-ginger-mint tea, and a proper tea cup) to my daughter's fearless Girl Scout Leader. It took me over 20 hours to complete everything.

I learned about reed shrinkage when adding reed, and not to add reed when coming over the edge of the basket. I learned that wet reed will slowly slice your fingers to ribbons if you are not careful. I learned that long wet reed is a fabulous cat play thing and I will have to pick cat hairs out of the basket when I am done.

Maybe next time I should add a little soap to the water I am soaking the reed in so I can take a bath instead of just getting soaking wet each time I worked on my basket.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  4:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Harmon (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I put together a beginner’s sewing kit with a homemade pinkeeper owl made by my dear friend Anne Lister from England.

I Included:

Several different colors of thread
Buttons
Scissors
Needles
Straight pins
Safety pins
Thimble
Measuring tape
Bee's Wax
Oh and my crochet hooks.

I love it and the buttons are easy to view in the mason jam jar inside the tin. I did learn that one should not put this together with the help of the cat since he ran off with Mr. Hoot!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  4:29:38 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Harmon (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I read Blogging for Creatives by Robin Houghton The book suggested on Farm girls did "How Designers, Artists, Crafters and Writers Can Blog to Make Contacts, Win Business and Build Success by Tara Frey" did not have any matches on Amazon. However, I was able to refocus my own creativity and repurpose my "old blog." I also went to Girl Gab and visited several of the sister farmgirl's blogs to gain insight and inspiration. I also have made a effort to blog at least twice a week with a Farmgirl Sisterhood post every Friday. This way, I can record and share my and other Farmgirl's journey.

The book was fabulous but a bit boring at times. I was disappointed that I could not find the author Tara Frey. Yet, The best part was visiting the other sister's blogs and gaining so much inspiration! For example, http://www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.blogspot.com/2015/05/farmgirl-friday-blog-hop-198.html has the most beautiful apron and what a fun idea to be in a blog hop. I have never done that and thought this was a great thing to try. Moreover, Farm Sister Jennifer had a great recipe for Yogurt-Dill Dressing. You can see it here and print it! I can't wait to make this!
http://dragonflyhomerecipes.com/

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  4:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Harmon (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I revamped my old blog after lots of inspiration from MaryJanesFarm’s GirlGab.com.

My first goal was post all about Farm girls. I wanted everyone to know about this new adventure that I have joined. I also wanted to share how I found Farm girl Sisterhood! I also sent an e-mail to join Girlgab

http://gingerharman.blogspot.com/2015/05/farm-girl-friday-post-no1.html

I was very pleased with how the post turned out and have decided that every Friday I will share an update on my Farm girl journey. I was also happy that the links were able to open a new window so other's may join Farm. girls and provided photo credit to Mary Jane.

I have had 28 views of the post and one comment from a gal from England. I look forward to posting much more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  4:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Cotney (BeautifulBibliophile, #6448) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I read online about the history of origami and learned how to fold cranes and goldfish. After a few tries - they turned out great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  4:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Cotney (BeautifulBibliophile, #6448) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Being a librarian, publishing houses and booksellers are always giving me tote bags as promotions and at conferences. I have made a collection of the nicer of these and I keep them in the car to use when I shop.

It has turned out well and is very easy for me. The bags are sturdier than those awful plastic bags at the store. When I come home with my shopping, I simply put all the bags together in one and hang them on the back door knob. That way I see them and can take them out to the car the next time I go out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  4:47:04 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Cotney (BeautifulBibliophile, #6448) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“As an English major, I always try to watch my grammar and spelling, but now that I am a library director I try even harder, because it is more professional. Summer term just started at the Community College where I work, and I began a "word of the day" feature on the library's Facebook page to help students improve their vocabularies.

Our students and faculty have responded enthusiastically to the " word of the day" posts, and I feel that it helps keep me on my toes vocabulary-wise.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  2:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (#6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I collected six reusable shopping bags to use when I shop. I've been buying them all along, but I put them all in one place, next to where I keep my purse, so I can grab them together.

I commit to only using them when I shop, even if that means I carry items out by hand, buy more at the store, or return home to get them if I forget them when I leave.

It's worked out well so far.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  2:33:59 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I have always wanted chickens! There is something soothing about their cackling. Our chicken flock was one that consisted of 2 australorps, 4 easter eggers, and 3 "unknown." Every day or two, we moved their coops, letting them get fresh grass and all the bugs they desired. It was free ranging with safety, since we feared our German shepherd might think they were food. I say all of this in past tense, as we have now had to move our beloved chickens to a friend's house due to our HOA. We still get to enjoy their delicious eggs - with their bright orange, creamy yolks. We love the array of colors we get from them... including blue, green, brown, and speckled brown.

Chickens will one day again grace our yard! There is a sense of accomplishment when you hear their songs of rejoicing over just laying, and going out and picking up a warm egg. What a joy and a blessing!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  2:37:32 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“We are in a community surrounded by horse farms. We also happen to have a daughter that is in love with horses and desires to one day jump. Through homeschooling her, and letting her complete multiple extra projects and unit studies on horses, I have learned about various breeds. My favorite breed happens to be Morgans. I enjoy their versatility, as they are great for leisure riding, pulling a carriage, and as working/farming purposes. I also appreciate their gentle disposition, especially considering I have little ones, as well as their beautiful appearance.

One day, far down the road, we hope to own a few horses. Our goal is to actually use them on our farm, so that they too can "earn"their keep. My mom's family is Amish, and I have always loved their simplicity, including using true horse power, rather than man-made 'horse-power.'”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  2:40:45 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“There are literally hundreds of birds native to South Carolina! With living on the coastal region, we have the opportunity to see multiple "shore birds" including ducks, geese, gulls, grackles, egrets, sandpipers, boobies, and the like. We also have the common birds found in most backyards, such as sparrows, hummingbirds, crows, bluejays, thrashers, mockingbirds, killdeer, cardinals, wrens, warblers, chickadees, robins, blackbirds, vultures, etc. Owls, wild turkeys, and bald eagles are favorites with my children! One bird I have not seen, though I have heard, are the woodpeckers. One bird I have never seen in the wild, here or elsewhere, are swans. While I have seen orioles up in Maryland, I have not seen any down here, though they are said to be native here. I really want to see buntings, as I think they are beautiful!

The one thing working towards this badge has done is really show me how many different types of species and sub-species of bird there really are! There are quite a few birds we ave seen that I cannot distinguish between! I have a greater interest in trying to figure out exactly what kind of bird we are seeing and trying to identify them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  2:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“Herbs are something I have had a huge passion for, of which has grown immensely over the recent years. I have fond memories of my mother having an herb garden in the backyard, growing up, though I only recall her using them for culinary purposes or to make teas. I have found that I also enjoy using them in tinctures, salves, as poultices, etc.

For this badge, I decided to research five of my favorite herbs.

1. Arnica - This is one of those herbs that we take internally in processed tablet form, but love love love as a dried herb. Due to the possibility of causing massive issues if ingested, I chose not to grow this herb in our yard, but rather purchase organic dried flowers. It is FANTASTIC used as a poultice or salve, for pain. We also use it for bruising, as t seems to really help reduce bruising as well. With numerous young children, goose eggs happen on a relatively regular basis - a poultice of arnica and comfrey (I'll touch on that one in a minute) are applied, and the sweeping and pain quickly dissipate, and the bruising diminished. We also use it in a salve for sore muscles. Due to the chances of causing issues when it gets in the blood stream, we do not use arnica on open injuries!

2. Comfrey - This is probably my second favorite medicinal herb. We use it most commonly as a poultice, though I have used it in salves as well. Comfrey is a healing herb. It will help you grow new tissue at a much quicker rate. Due to the rate of how quickly new tissue will grow, we do not use comfrey on open wounds either... we do not want the chance of new tissue growing over bacteria, locking it under the skin, allowing it to fester. With that said, comfrey is fantastic for sprains, "goose eggs," and other common injuries - even broken bones!

3. Yarrow - Yarrow is our favorite herb for open wounds. Used as a poultice, it is great for pulling out infection. We use this whenever there is an open cut, or an infection on the skin. I haver recently learned that it can also be taken internally for the purpose of decreasing blood pressure, though I personally have not tried it.

4. Plantain - This "weed" is an all time favorite! For one reason or another, we actually do not have any growing in our yard!!! I truly wish we did! This works great for pulling out the sting of a bee, the poison of a fire ant, or even is suppose to help with the venom of a spider or snake (haven't tried the latter two!) It also seems to be an anticoagulant - in that it will help stop the bleeding of minor injuries, when fresh plantain is bruised and used.

5. Chickweed - This "weed" grows abundantly here, especially around our strawberry plants! We often use it fresh, for stings, bites, etc. It is also great for getting rid of warts. Filling a bathtub of dried chickweed, or bruised fresh chickweed, is a great muscle relaxer, after a hard day of physical labor. You can also take it internally during flu and cold season. It is also quite yummy fresh in salads, and quite nutritious, as it is high in Vitamins A, B, C, and D, as well as iron, calcium, and potassium!

I enjoy using all five of the herbs listed above! I am hoping to one day grow more medicinal herbs, as right now I limit myself more to culinary herbs. I would like to eventually get my Master Herbalist certificate!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page