Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  4:21:27 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Follestad (#6468) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I used Saplings we had to cut down from under our power lines and bamboo that I had on hand and twine to build the trellis. I shoved some longer and thicker sapling trunks into the ground and used the bamboo as cross beams and then wove twine through out the trellis. For the bean teepees I used more bamboo and twine.

I think it turned out pretty well. All structure are sturdy and stable. The trellis will be used for cucumbers and since I usually grow bush beans, I'm using the bean teepees for peas to climb on.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  4:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Follestad (#6468) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman at Arms Merit Badge!

“I completed the online hunter safety course at www.huntercourse.com/usa/minnesota/

It was fun to learn all the safety stuff and the different types of guns too.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  4:32:21 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl Villebrun (Tapestry, #353) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knitted a neck cowl using size 19 single point needles as a gift for one of my sisters in law.

Great! I loved the changing colorway of the yarn and it was very easy to make. I'm late applying for this badge due to the holidays and a broken ankle but trying to get caught up now. Thanks!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  4:52:14 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Cotney (BeautifulBibliophile, #6448) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I took a cute shortbread tin with scottie dogs on it that I'd been saving and made a sewing kit for my work out of it. I put an antique needle book my MIL had given me, a pair of scissors, different spools of thread, scissors, a tape measure, a seam ripper, buttons and safety pins in it.

I now have a cute little sewing kit that doesn't take up much room in my office, but can handle most any sartorial emergency!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  4:57:58 PM  Show Profile
Vera-Ellen Turner (Vera-Ellen, #1477) has received a certificate of achievement in Stiching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I purchased the towel apron kit from Mary Jane several years ago. I was clearing my sewing things and came across the kit. I hand sewed all but the ties. I wear it in the kitchen and while collecting eggs each morning.

It is beautiful! I have a lovely apron collection. I purchased the first Mary Jane magazine years ago strictly for the aprons she highlighted in the magazine. See the picture!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  4:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“I grew radishes, rutabagas, carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, potatoes, and parsnips.

Radishes we eat right away as they are so easy to grow and take only a very short time. The rest can be preserved in a root cellar, in a ditch in the ground covered in dirt (done right before the first frost), dried, freezing (blanch first), or canning (pickled or plain).

The method of preserving seems to be as much about personal preference as anything. I am preserving according to how I am going to use them, such as frozen or in ground for in stews, dried for camping, pickled for a garnish or side dish. I have already started freezing the rutabagas and we have eaten all the radishes fresh. I have dried some carrots and am patiently waiting for the beets to get big enough to pickle.

My only regret is that I forgot to plant my root vegetables with my usual tea and I have had a bit of a problem with bugs as a result. Next planting I will remember.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  4:30:37 PM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I learned with this badge that in my area you can only put general items like plastic, cardboard, glass and paper.

The week of April 19th I used cardboard boxes marked plastic, glass, paper and cardboard. I filled the boxes and then took them to the recycle center. I think it turned good. I do like curb side recycling better.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  4:33:35 PM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I recycled the entire month of May. I went 2 times a week to take all the items that can be recycled. I also set out boxes at my local church for the kids to bring things that could be recycled. They got to learn how to recycle and what could be recycled.

I feel that this project turned out well. I was able to really to make a difference by teaching the children at church how to recycle and then letting them use the items brought in to make a creation. What was left over I took to the recycle center.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  2:46:03 PM  Show Profile
Caitlin Hargett (crazydogmom, #6460) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I researched the new recycling program in my area and I got a letter sent to me with a list of items I can and cannot recycle.

I started the process to obtain my own recycling bin through the city.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  2:49:54 PM  Show Profile
Caitlin Hargett (crazydogmom, #6460) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I set up a worm farm for composting and read Worms Eat My Garbage.

Worm farming is actually pretty tricky. I lost all my worms in the first week and had to buy more. So far these have lasted about 3 weeks, but I don't have them happy enough to eat all the compost I have to give. I'm going to keep up with it and hopefully find a good system for all of us.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  3:01:36 PM  Show Profile
Corine Runnion (#6367) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“IN 2009 i took all of the 4 Wilton Cake Decorating classes and got my certificate of merit for all.
Course 1 Discover Cake Decorating
Course 2 Flowers and Borders
Course 3 Fondant and tiered cakes
course 4 Fondant and Gum Paste
since the i go online to keep refreshed and learn new ideas.the last class was online last week.

i have done many cakes since then, I will post a picture of one I created for a friend's anniversary.

everyone seems to enjoy the cakes and have done many birthday cakes, anniversary, baby shower etc.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  3:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Cassidi Shingleton (Farmchica2, #6478) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I spent the last year living in Mexico but did not have the opportunity to participate in a Cinco de Mayo celebration and I didn't even understand what it really was so I decided to look it up and find out what it was all about.

I also decided that since I already knew how to count to ten in Spanish that I'd learn to count to 1,000.

It was really interesting to find out about why Cinco de Mayo is celebrated, where it's celebrated and how. I found out that it is in memory of the battle of Puebla and how the Mexicans beat the French army and by so doing actually protected the US borders as well. I found out that in Mexico people from Puebla are about the only ones who celebrate it and they do so with fireworks, decorations, and of course fiestas. Cinco de Mayo is actually more popular here in the states than in Mexico. I also thought it was fun learning how to count so high even though it took me a while, and it's actually is a good skill to have.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  3:14:43 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have collected over a dozen cloth bags to use while shopping.

It is fun selecting which bags to use according to my mood. I'm getting better at remembering to grab them on my way IN to the store, so I don't have to run back out to get them from my car.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  3:18:08 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“Actually had 2 leaky faucets that needed new washers.

We quit taking baths and shower only.

This one is a little gross, but we stopped flushing after every "visit". I don't know how to figure out how much water we have saved.... but it must be a lot! I read that flushing uses more water than showering.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  3:21:37 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have a recycling center in town. They take almost everything, including old computers and electronics.

It's nice to know we can get rid of small and large items without just filling up the landfills.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  3:23:41 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Cancelled curbside garbage pick-up. Now we take our trash and our recycling to our local center. We only fill our garbage can once every 3 or 4 weeks. We take our trash the same time we take out our recycling. Since we get paid for some of our recyclables, sometimes we break even on our trash bill!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  3:27:44 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“Sorted out plastic containers, recycled items that didn't have the matching part - where did they go? Amazing how much room I now have in that cabinet.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  4:40:01 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I have always loved lighthouses. I found a sketchbook of different lighthouses to draw. I chose one to draw in pencil.

I tried to make this as close as I could to the picture. I'm not completely happy with the trees. I need to practice a lot more to make it better. It was relaxing and frustrating at times. But it also encouraged me to learn more. I know I'LL never be an artist, but I can say I tried.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  4:45:18 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“My girlfriend, Mindy, & I set up our glampers at a campsite that I built. We stayed out there for the weekend. We left everything behind and just enjoyed the outdoors. We sat by a fire every chance we could get. Played games. Looked at the stars, cooked over the campfire. It was just nice to be there without anything to distract us.

We felt so relaxed, got to share ourselves more & came back so-o-o refreshed. Looking forward to doing this again in September.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  4:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“I decided I needed a few days away after the hectic garden & canning season. So I packed up what I needed & went out to my glamper at my campsite on the back of our 40. I brought 2 books, a magazine, and some knitting. Ahh! I looked forward to just me, myself, & I--alone & peaceful. I spent 3 days & 2 nights, enjoying every minute.

I read both of my books and my magazine, took naps when I wanted, and did some knitting on a scarf as a gift for my son for Christmas. I was so happy to have a heater in my glamper, as the temps dropped into the 40's with cold winds out of the north! I cooked most of my meals by the fire, except for the last meal of homemade chicken noodle soup. It was wonderful to just be totally by myself and do some self indulgence! I loved the experience, even the cold weather.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  4:52:21 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I found this old pattern at a rummage sale for a ruffled, full apron. I chose a garden print with all sorts of neat designs. I made 2--one for me & one for a friend. I took me 5 hours to make both of them.

After I got going on them, I loved them. The ruffle was different than I was used to doing, so I had to REALLY think how to place it on the straps. They turned out so nice. I gave one to my friend, Mindy, who comes glamping with me in her camper. She loved it, too! We wore them to cook in around the campfire.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  4:55:16 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I did re-research the differences in how health and beauty products were made. (I had done this many years ago, and decided to do it again!) I made myself some toothpaste using only basic & natural ingredients. As I have so many allergies even to naturally made products on the market, I have made it a point to either eliminate them from my shelf or make homemade & natural ones.

The toothpaste I made from baking soda & hydrogen peroxide,5 drops tea tree oil & 5 drops peppermint oil. It is gritty, but cleans my teeth. I asked a friend who is a dental hygienist about using it, and she said that would be great & would help with plaque. I love the taste of the peppermint. My teeth seem to be doing just fine. I am allergic to fluoride, and could not find anything I liked to use in the natural form. This replaced it! I store it in a small mason jar container.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  4:56:37 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I have added making lotion and deodorant to my basic list. The lotion is made of purified water, almond oil, beeswax and vitamin E oil. They are blended to together for a smooth, rich mix. For my deodorant, I mix coconut oil, arrowroot powder together.

I love using these products. I feel safer knowing exactly what I am using on my body. It took me several tries to get the right combinations, but I am completely satisfied. I wrote my recipes on index cards and placed them into my recipe box for easy references later.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  4:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“The root vegetables that grow in our area is potatoes, carrots, beets, turnips, & rutabagas. There are many others that are available at our grocery stores. I counted at least 5 others.

I found all these ones I listed at our store,and sweet potatoes, parsnips. Since our rutabagas always get worms, I buy them at the farmers' market in the fall, and freeze them for later use. Right now, most of the veggies are grown out-of-state from us. Come a month or so they will show up from our local farmers. By they, I mean, potatoes, carrots, beets.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  5:02:43 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I bought a tree book called, "Trees of Michigan". I went out my back door and looked at our trees. I identified a maple, a pin cherry, and a spruce.

These three trees are known to be grown throughout our area. The maple and pin cherry were here when we bought this property. We planted the spruce the second year here. I love to take the book through the trails on our property and see how many I can identify.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page