Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:26:15 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“I have been baking bread since I was a newlywed 32 years ago but have learned MUCH in those 32 years! I've always known baking is more of an exact science ... getting just the right amount of leavening agents so your product turns out the way you want it to.
While I've always used baking powder and baking soda when called for, I was never exactly sure what made each one similar and different. I recently read up on how each works and how they are not interchangeable!

I also learned that baking soda is about 4x the strength of baking powder and why you will sometimes need to use each one in the same recipe.

I've made several recipes using baking powder, baking soda and cream of tartar. One of my favorite recipes was an Amish Sugar Cookie which used cream of tartar and soda. I loved the silky texture. My favorite biscuit recipe calls for an addition of cream of tartar. They were higher and finer textured than some that I have tried. I also tried making a Cream Biscuit using a self rising flour and cream. These seemed to raise well...and then deflated quickly! I always use unbleached flour and have recently found a whole wheat pastry flour from soft wheat that makes the most delicate pie crust!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“I love making my own bread! Store bought does not even compare. And the smell that fills your house is wonderful!

I've used several types of yeast in my breadmaking...regular active dry yeast, quick rising yeast and a special yeast for pizza dough. I prefer just the regular yeast over the quick rising. I just prefer the texture and how it works better.

I really do like the pizza dough yeast. I think it gives it just the right amount of leavening.

Besides making our weekly bread, I also make some special dark dinner rolls that have cocoa powder, whole wheat flour and orange juice. They were a big hit with the family!

I also tried an Irish Soda Bread. I remember reading when I was young in the Little House books how Laura's mother would make it for the holidays. The recipe I tried included whiskey, caraway seeds and raisins, but I substituted currants. I wasn't too sure how this mix of ingredients would taste together...but it really wasn't too bad! I still prefer the texture of a yeast bread to one made with baking soda.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:30:43 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“Over the years I have tried several different sourdough starter recipes....some created so much gas they blew the lid right off the jar...and some never did much of anything! I finally found one that worked for me...I used the starter recipe in the King Arthur Flour baking book. This one uses a rye flour to start, eventually being replaced over the next 10 days or so with unbleached flour.

This starter was by far the best I've ever used! I tried a new sourdough biscuit recipe that was "ok"..I thought it was a little dry. But the sourdough pancakes....they were divine! The batter foamed up like meringue and they were a little slice of heaven! Definitely worth keeping a starter JUST for those pancakes!
I did learn that even if you keep your starter in the fridge while you're not actively using it....you still need to feed it once a week!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:33:56 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“During my spring cleaning, I went through and cleaned cupboards and tossed things I was not using. I now only have leftover dishes that are functional and have lids. I gave my bread machine to a new home. I have a collection of Le Crueset pans but needed some good stainless pots to go with them and my cast iron skillets. I now have a good, functioning set of cookware!

I love having everything organized! I have just the right pots and pans to cook the way I enjoy and to be able to fix anything to just my husband and myself or the whole family!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:36:25 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I was always frustrated when I was baking and had to go between my mixer and baking counter over to where I had my spices stored. I rearranged the cabinet above my mixer and now I have an entire baking section completely stocked with whatever I need to bake! It has been both a time saver and just a joy to work at my baking counter!

So much more efficient! I love baking day at my house!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:37:44 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“After struggling with knives that at the time I didn't even realize weren't that sharp because they weren't of very good quality, I invested in an entire set of Hammer Stahl knives. WHAT a difference a sharp knife makes!!!! I LOVE these knives!

My husband is the chief knife sharpener around here but he just showed me how to keep these new knives sharp. Much easier than trying to sharpen scissors!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:43:02 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“We live part of the year in Oregon and part of the year in Montana. Montana has a bigger population of wild game than Oregon ... Oregon does not have moose. But both states have deer, elk and bear.
I married an avid hunter almost 32 years ago and have learned when all of the hunting seasons begin and how to apply for hunting licenses and tags and where it is legal to hunt for that particular area that you have a tag for.

I have hunted with my husband on many occasions, the last being this past November in Montana. I helped him hang the deer immediately in our shop to cool and then quartered it to wrap up and take home to Oregon where we would finish the cutting and wrapping process. I have learned a lot from him about field dressing and proper care of the meat. He is always very particular about cutting off the fat so there is no off taste and keeping the meat clean.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:45:05 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“When my daughter turned 12, she enrolled in a hunter safety program and I took it with her.

This past February my husband and I along with my daughter and her husband had a sausage making day! We had several bags of wild game "scraps" that we had saved in the freezer and we made 4 different kinds of sausage and hamburger for the 4 of us.

I am proud to say that I got 100% on my hunter safety test! This was a few years back. I am now currently learning how to use my new bow and proper bow safety.

The sausage turned out delicious! My favorites were the spicy Italian and sweet Italian ... so good with peppers and linguine!
I would much rather prefer eating our own wild game than buying meat in the store. I know what I'm really eating this way and we control the fat content!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:47:54 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I decided to set an exercise goal to use my home gym, Monday through Saturday. I had a different routine for each day posted on the wall where I keep my machine.

I kept my goal and worked out with my machine for a year straight! I feel like I gained some muscle strength and toned up.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:49:35 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I decided that the home gym wasn't enough. I really wanted to lose weight. My doctor suggested the website, MyFitnessPal. This was life changing for me!

I started using MyFitnessPal that day! It all finally clicked for me! You aren't restricted in WHAT you eat, but you learn how to make better food choices to stay in the amount of calories that you allow yourself. You learn proper portion control. It is amazing how many calories are in some foods! And then, some you might think are calorie dense are low. I lost 40 pounds over the next year and have kept it off for another year now!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“While on my fitness journey, I joined a "power hour" class at our local gym and also a kick boxing class!

While I really enjoyed my classes in town, I got tired of driving 20 miles each day. I have a treadmill at home and continue to exercise 4-5 times a week. I would rather walk outside around our farm than work out in a building.

I also just joined a water aerobics class at our local pool and I love it! It is only 2x a week and breaks up the walking plan. I used to love to swim as a child and I am having so much fun!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  2:17:18 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I have known how to embroider since I was a young girl. I thought that instead of a traditional sampler, I would make this pillow for my guest room as it is a sampler of sorts, incorporating different kinds of stitches in its design.

I love Crabapple Hill patterns and I really enjoyed making this one. I turned my stitching into a pillow for my guest bed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  2:31:30 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“Both my grandma and my mom taught me to crochet at a young age. I have taught my daughter and recently taught my daughter in law how to crochet. As soon as my grandsons are old enough, I plan on teaching them as well!

I like to make these light weight receiving blankets for baby gifts. I buy really nice flannel, finish the edge and turn under and them crochet around the edge and add a pretty lace trim. I have made quite a few over the years and I think handmade gifts are special.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  3:02:57 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I have wanted a linen table runner for a long time. When I couldn't find any ready made vintage looking lace to sew on it I decided to add my own by crocheting around the edge.

I am really pleased with how this turned out. I have a custom size runner that perfectly fits my table. I had to make some adjustments to the pattern to fit the size of my runner. I was surprised that it took as long to finish as it did ... I worked on it on and off this spring into summer. I like to crochet in the evenings when my husband is done farming for the day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  3:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have a small recycling center in town. Since we live 10 miles out of town, we don't have any curb side recycling service. The recycling center continues to add items for recycling, but as of right now, you can recycle newspapers, magazines, phone books, brown, clear and green glass, plastic bottles and jugs, cardboard, motor oil and milk jugs, aluminum cans and foil and tin cans.

After looking around the facility, I realized how easy it would be to recycle items that I had been currently throwing in the trash. I was also surprised by how many items they accepted for recycling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  3:11:00 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have always recycled my newspapers but after visiting our recycling center I decided to try and recycle more.

I have been cleaning my garage and made a larger area for recyclables. I have a better area for newspapers. I have a space for plastic bags and am now taking those to our local farmer's market to re use. I have a box for cans. We rarely have soda cans but I have decided to donate what I save to the local high school fundraiser where they will have them recycled.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  3:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level FArmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“This badge sounded like fun! It reminded me of a college prep English class that I had taken years ago. We always had new vocabulary words and their definitions every week.

I signed up for a word of the day from Merriam-Webster instead of looking up a random word each day. This helped me to remember better to study a new word each day since it was delivered right to my inbox.

I would study the word each day and wrote down the definition, sometimes putting it into a sentence and tried incorporating that word into my daily use. I kept this up for 2 weeks.

Also, I am not a big texter, but I made an effort to not use any texting abbreviations. It makes me crazy when people do that!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  3:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Carol Locker (CountryGalPal, #6586) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“My husband and I have been beekeepers for three years now. So, I was rather intrigued by anything having to do with bees. I feel like for as much as I know about bees, there is always something more to know.

I watched the trailer and heard many of the things being repeated that I hear often in a local beekeeper club. I am in the middle of trying to move, so I've been trying to get starts off of a number of plants. It actually worked, and I was able to plant a new start as well as still having something that I plan to take with me to the new home (if ours ever sells). Finally,

I wasn't quite sure how beekeeping was going to fit in with the story line for the Secret Life of Bees. Indeed, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a good read. While I would consider myself a slow reader, I found myself being captivated by the story and couldn't wait to read more.

I think it was a fantastic way to earn my first sisterhood badge. Hurray for me! I view life as one big learning opportunity. Now I may have just caught the "fever" because I can't wait to earn my next one.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  3:49:06 PM  Show Profile
Carol Locker (CountryGalPal, #6586) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I actually started out by reviewing the BLM.gov web site. However, I then went to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Forestry web site. I found out about quite a few trees native to Ohio. Many of them are within my yard. When I moved here 11+ years ago, I set out to plant a wide variety of trees. Little did I know that some were native. As my husband and I hope to move to Tennessee soon, I took it upon myself to also review a list of native trees to Tennessee provided by the Nashville Tree Advisory Committee.

I guess I hadn't actually thought about trees being native to a specific area. I just figured that with water and light they would grow. Surprise! I found out more about the requirements for a few trees and the environments in which they thrive.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  3:56:47 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Silva (#371) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I crocheted a washcloth using cotton yarn. I chained 20 stitches and did each row in single crochet. I finished by going around the edges with single crochet using two stitches on each corner.

I love my first project and can't wait to try another.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  4:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“After purchasing our 3 recycling buckets we made a space in the corner of our garage for a "recycling center."

Our children are in charge of managing the recycling bins. They take things from the kitchen out to the garage area and then on Monday evenings they are in charge of moving the bins out to the curb for pick-up. We have done this since we moved to the area.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  4:04:13 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I got my Beginner badge working for the Scrip office at our school, so for my Intermediate I continued working for this office by filling gift card orders for parents.

I love working there, it is quiet and I only work with one other person. She is the same elderly woman that I started working with initially and now we have lunch together occasionally as well. I put in six hours a month which means I have accumulated around 40 hours since my beginner badge, and a new friend.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  4:07:10 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I read MaryJane's recommended website and write up on the difference between feedlot and grass-fed beef. I did try to open the ieatmeat.org link to find out about some farmers, but it just redirects back to the Food/Products page.

I grew up on a farm where we butchered so I love getting information about the food we eat in any form. My current favorite book to recommend on the subject is The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. We know the background of our meat whenever possible, preferring to hunt or butcher our own.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  4:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“We switched to a green household cleaner company about 10 years ago after we had our daughter. I wrote a mission statement to keep in my FarmGirl journal about how this was important for our environment. I have a green idea journal on Pinterest which makes it easy for me to reference things I want to remember, and recently have encouraged my mother-in-law to switch to a greener home by sharing some of my products with her.

I think that I am the most happy with sharing my knowledge with my mother-in-law. Sometimes I think that the baby-boomer generation is harder to convince of the importance of green when they were brought up with the wonders of convenience and disposable as a new thing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  4:18:28 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I am actually applying for the Beginner and Intermediate levels at the same time. All of my life I have loved collecting recipes, especially recipes from my grandparents and great grandparents. I have become known in the family as the recipe keeper! I have gone through both grandmothers' recipe collections and copied all of those that I cherish from growing up. Also, the recipes that they brought over to the US from Hungary that are family treasures.

I have a whole "master set" of recipes from my great grandmother put away so they won't ever get misplaced. I have copied them off numerous times for cousins and other family members who didn't have access to the recipes themselves.

I have my own recipe box where I have recipes from both sides of my family that I use all year and some just for special occasions.
My brother passed away a couple of years ago and he had been working on his own cookbook. He left me his contribution of recipes in a book he put together. It is a treasure!

When my daughter moved to her own place, I gave her a recipe box filled with her favorite recipes from home. Last Christmas, I started with a bundle of recipe cards that were to be a stocking stuffer for my daughter in law, but turned into another entire recipe book! She loved it!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page