Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  3:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Doris Meisell (SouthForty, #3794) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“We have been using our our shopping bags for several months. Not only is it a green thing to do, they actually are so much easier to load and carry than those flimsy things that love to split when you are halfway up the driveway! How many times have we done the "jig" to avoid a broken toe by some rouge can that decides to become airborne right about time the dog decides to zigzag in your path!

We use our own bags and avoid collecting more plastic. When we do exceed our carrying capacity and end up with store bags, we try to use them to wrap dangerous things (like broken glass) before placing in our garbage. We do not currently have a recycling program with the current refuse service. We are rural and there aren't a lot of choices out here.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  3:25:19 PM  Show Profile
Doris Meisell (SouthForty, #3794) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I decided to jump in and get my feet wet by raising some chickens and its been a love affair since day one! I ordered them from a hatchery as day old chicks and have spent the past year and a half tending to them. I originally planned to order 15 to start but ended up choosing six different breeds. I plan to branch out with ducks and goats and a cow and a couple of horses ... but that will have to wait until we have more space. For now its five dogs, three cats, and six chickens! Did I mention how nervous this makes my DH whose planning a quiet retirement?!

This is one of the best decisions I've ever made! Not only do we have fresh eggs that come from a source that I control (well except for the worms and bugs they find on their own) but they provide hours upon hours of entertainment and contentment for me. We had to move them 1,200 miles and thankfully everyone survived. I love each and every one of them. Although I did pick them partially because they are meat birds, I have no intention of ever eating one of these. They are excellent layers and are not much trouble at all. I can honestly say that there have been days where a stick of dynamite could not rouse me out of bed but the minute I remember that I must raise the coop door, I am out there in a flash, sometimes in nightclothes and mudders (boots) ... and let me tell you, on those mornings back on the east coast where we struggled just to get up to the freezing mark by midday, that says a lot about chicken love. Thank goodness we probably won't have long hard freezes like that here back in our home state of Texas.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  3:33:07 PM  Show Profile
Heidi Weismann (#6778) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“Well I was stuck in the house due to snow and figured it was a great time to organize that dreaded plastic container collection. Amazing what I found: so random mason jar rings and lids, many a lid without any matching container (much akin to the missing sock in laundry). I emptied slide out drawer and cabinet onto the kitchen floor, wiped out surfaces and began to try and match. I recycled 8 lids and did away with the "ricotta cheese" containers that are good but since not clear you never know what is truly in them until it is way too late!!!

It turned out great. I scaled down to just a really chosen few good containers. All lids are stacked next to appropriate containers and I now have much more useable room. I hope I can continue to keep it need as it is much easier. I took pictures before, during and after but I am not sure how many I can attach so I will at least attach the finished look.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  3:41:00 PM  Show Profile
Amy Cloud Chambers (Song sparrow, #6098) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“My mother taught me to knit many years ago, but I never really tried to finish anything (music took first place in my interests!). But now I have grown very interested and wish I had paid more attention. I started with a simple garter stitch scarf in stripes, using up yarn from Mom's stash. I had in mind a dear lady from the nursing home, which would also help motivate me to working on another badge. It took hours to complete (way beyond the three-hour requirement!) But in actuality, this project propelled me into a love of handiwork long forgotten since my childhood. And although I finished it after some more advanced projects that I tackled for Christmas presents, it was a project of the heart for two reasons. 1) Because of the person for whom it was made, which I will tell more about in another badge application; and 2) Because it brought handiwork back into my life after years of being busy with other things. This simple project became a source of great joy!

I think it turned out very well, and certainly I have received very kind compliments from henhouse and forum sisters. They seem to really like the colors, and I like the long fringe. It's kind of glamorous for my dear friend, who will receive it as part of a Valentine's package of goodies.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  3:43:38 PM  Show Profile
Amy Cloud Chambers (Song sparrow, #6098) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“After I tackled the project for my Beginner badge I enjoyed it so much that I decided to knit Christmas gifts for family and friends. I chose more advanced projects that would allow me to experiment with new stitch techniques and fibers. The results were mostly very lovely and I learned so very much about about the art and craft of knitting! I knitted two sets of scarves and arm warmers for my very cosmopolitan brother and sister-in-law, who are always on their i-Phones. For these projects I learned to use a circular needle, knit cables, and work with mohair and alpaca blend yarns. For my mother, I made a lap afghan, which introduced me to so many new stitches and techniques that I started and ripped it out eight times before I got the hang of it! Pictures of these projects are included. I also made my poor daughter what may be the ugliest sweater vest ever created, which taught me a valuable lesson about making yarn substitutes. The cats received knitted catnip fish, which taught me to knit with double-pointed needles. I even knitted a basket out of jute twine to hold the various food jars for my granddaughter's hermit crabs, a most unusual project!

All of the gifts were well received, even my dear daughter's ugly sweater, which gave us all a laugh. The cats have torn their gifts to shreds, but I can't really tell if the hermit crabs like their basket.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  4:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Amy Cloud Chambers (Song sparrow, #6098) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I have been a cross-stitched on and off over the years. I wanted to advance my skill a little and try my hand at working something besides basic aida cloth. For a Farmgirl swap I ended up trying stitching on a plain dish cloth using waste canvas. I combined ed several designs to create my own design which I tailored to my swap partner. I had to do the math (ouch!) to get my newly created design placed exactly how I wanted it to be on the dish cloth.

It was a new experience working with waste canvas and trying my hand at creating a design. Removing the canvas thread by thread after the stitching was completed was the most time consuming, but I think the end result was worth the effort. It made my swap partner very happy!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  2:31:58 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (Sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I continued working with our local AWANA program after my "maternity leave" time last spring and into the fall. I have increased my responsibility with this organization as well now overseeing 1/3 of the program.

My 20 hours consisted of:
2.5 hours each on regular meeting days of:
12/14/14, 12/21/14, 1/11/15, 1/25/15, 2/1/15, 4/19/15, 4/26/15 and another 2 hours during the awards ceremony last May. Plus several hours of planning during the summer.

This has been a fun and rewarding experience, working with the children and watching them grow and develop. I have gown as I've moved into a leadership position.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  2:34:50 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (Sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I continued working with our Local AWANA program taking on a leadership position as mentioned in the Intermediate level application. In addition to AWANA I noticed that our chapel needed a children's church program. So I started one.

I listed the following five needs for our community:
Children's Church
Home school care during our Chapel's Women's Bible Study
More Home school programs
Red Cross Instructors
Someone to organize Chapel Background checks

I took on all but the Red Cross Instructor part of this.

I have worked well over 40 hours planning, organizing and running our children's Church program which began in November. I have also spent at least 40 hours working at our AWANA program. About 20 hours have been spent planning a class and teaching Home-ec to our local home school coop and an additional 100 hours have been spent starting and running a Classical Conversations program for our community. I also spent approximately 20 hours running a home school room for our Bible study.

For the most part these programs went very well. I have however backed off of some of them because it was too many commitments for me. I am no longer running the home school room. I will be continuing to teach at our local coop as well as running Classical Conversations, Children's Church and working at AWANA. This has been challenging, rewarding and fun for me! It has also been beneficial for our community. I have watched our Children's Church program grow from 8 kids the first day to 19 kids last week.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  2:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (Sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I have read Blogging for Bliss and chose to blog about finding joy in the chaos of motherhood.

I have thought about blogging for years and attempted it a couple times but didn't stick with it. This badge has helped give me the push to actually do it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  2:53:30 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (Sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I have started a blog on wordpress (self hosted) called Kids, Crunch, and Christ. (kidscrunchandchrist.com). I am blogging about the things most important to me, parenting, homeschooling, natural living, faith, community service and giving, and creativity. I have published 20+ blog posts and gathered a handful of followers.

I am enjoying blogging and have set some intentional goals this year to continue blogging and grow my blog. I hope my blog can help encourage other moms on their journeys!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  2:54:53 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (Sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I have started customizing my blog with various buttons and graphics. I created my own header image and put it in my blog, I also have begun creating my own graphics for the blog titles and some infographics inside the posts. I have 20+ posts most of which have pictures.

I have been visiting several blogs I enjoy and commenting. My name seems to link to my personal blog. I have also been looking for linkups to participate in. I have started putting the blogs I follow in Feedly to be able to check for new content and comment easier.

I am still enjoying blogging and looking forward to the growth I will hopefully experience this year. I have even created freebies to offer to my email list subscribers and video tutorials to go on my blog!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  3:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (Sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“A jubilee is a special anniversary or event, especially one celebrating 25 or 50 years.

I attended a 25 year anniversary celebration several years ago for a reenactment group I participated in, they didn't call it a "jubilee" but it fits the definition.

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee was to celebrate 60 years of her reign. There were pageants, an "informal" luncheon with other monarchs, and other events, as well as the lighting of thousands of beacons. The queen toured the UK and her children and grandchildren toured other nations in the commonwealth.

Regular people could participate in a few of the events, one such way was when the queen's jewels were on display and opened to the public but one of the largest ways was by pledging community service hours in honor of the jubilee.

I shared ideas in the chatroom last May when this idea first came up!

This was interesting to learn about. Unfortunately things did not work out to have our own celebration last year. Hopefully this year we will be able to!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  3:03:40 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (Sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“Our pets see a German veterinarian. They tend to be more holistic than US vets to begin with. She avoids invasive procedures as much as possible and recommended homeopathic or all natural remedies when we have had issues.

I purchase the best pet food available from our PX. I'm sure the Germans have wonderful choices but I can't read the packaging so I feel more comfortable with what I can read. Our pet food is 100% grain free. It is primarily chicken based.

We appreciate having a dentist who likes to keep things natural like we do.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  4:24:29 PM  Show Profile
Brenda White (#6769) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I'm a firm believer in recycling. We have a recycling system at work and also at home. I work in a dental office. We have boxes to separate cardboard, box board, plastics, paper and then we make a trip to Michigan State University recycling program. We have surprised ourselves with how much we do recycle. At home we have a large tote of recycled items that we then put in a city receptacle that is picked up bi-weekly including cardboard, plastics, cans and paper.

It has turned out to be very fruitful and we have received an education in how much we wasted and now how much more we help the environment by a taking a few extra minutes to sort and help our earth for future generations.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  4:31:49 PM  Show Profile
Denise Thompson (levisgrammy, #43) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have collected reusable shopping bags. I have made some of my own also.

I have continued to use my shopping bags for each shopping trip thereby not adding the plastic bags to our local dump and having them end up in the landfill.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  4:34:53 PM  Show Profile
Denise Thompson (levisgrammy, #43) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I took a month to see how this would work for us. While shopping I found I could buy products that are in reusable glass or in containers that I can recycle cutting down on waste.

I learned to make my own laundry soap so I no longer purchase soaps with dyes and phosphates. I also save on not needing packaging. I use a large jar to store my homemade laundry soap.

I find making my own laundry soap has had a great impact on our septic system. Also there is no packages that need to be thrown away or recycled.

I continue to use this soap on a regular basis. Saving money in the long run.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  4:38:32 PM  Show Profile
Denise Thompson (levisgrammy, #43) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I earned my merit badge by making a sewing kit for my granddaughter.

I included a pin cushion, buttons threads, needles, straight pins and safety pins, scissors and a measuring tape. I made a fabric lined basket to hold everything.

The sewing kit turned out well and I presented it to my granddaughter at her first hand sewing lesson with me as her teacher.

I have attached a picture of the basket I made to hold the sewing items.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  4:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Connie Harrington (Rural Farm Girl, #6777) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knitted a cotton multicolored dish cloth in a checker board pattern dish cloth measuring 8x9 inches. I worked with my neighbor Becky on knitting a scarf.

I love the look of this project. I Put a knitted border around the entire thing which makes the pattern stand out more. I looks great.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  4:46:07 PM  Show Profile
Connie Harrington (Rural Farm Girl, #6777) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I got a crochet book and found a stitch and decided to make a scarf. I choose the crazy stitch and using green and purple variegated cottons I crochet a 7 x 65 scarf. I have never been able to crochet in the past because I would pick up extra stitches.

I really loved the results. The sides were almost perfect. The colors muted and had a almost painted design. I loved the scarf results so much that I gifted it to my granddaughter Hailey. She thinks it will be really warm and loves the color. I only wished I had a picture with her wearing the scarf. I will try to get one for my records.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2016 :  2:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Doris Meisell (Southforty, #3794) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I used to do this many years ago and just fell out of habit. Looking up new words and incorporating them into use was easy to do back when I had many papers to write. Since embarking on my quest to obtain my Farmgirl Sisterhood badges, I find myself trying to do all of them at once... but that's another story!

Here is a photo of a huge dictionary that I got for $1 at a yard sale. It's been awesome in giving me the easy access to so many new / make that "OLD" words, many of them are obsolete. I can spend hours reading these things.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2016 :  3:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Doris Meisell (Southforty, #3794) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“Thank you for helping me to return to an old favorite, journaling. I have kept a journal off and on for most of my life. Of course, when I was younger there was a lot more focus on things that happened or people that I was interested in. But as the years go by, I find that I focus on my blessings and all of the reasons that this life is so beautiful!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2016 :  3:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Heidi Weismann (#6778) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I got 6 re-usable shopping bags of various sizes figuring that would be best. I have put 3 in my car for groceries, another is in my car and in it I keep a warm blanket, mittens, scarf, hand and foot warmers and a hat (just in case), the other 2 I use in the house to tote laundry up and down the stairs. ( I use the bigger ones for this)

I love using the bags and so much easier than getting about 10 of those plastic bags at the grocery store that really don't hold anything or hold up-plus I have to do away with them or they just pile up. The one in my car for "just in cases" is tucked behind the seat just fine. The ones I use for laundry are such a back saver and so easy to tote up and down the stairs and once I can again hang laundry outside it will be even easier.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2016 :  3:39:36 PM  Show Profile
Denise Thompson (levisgrammy, #43) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We started our own flock originally by purchasing chicks from a hatchery. We had Black Austrolorps to start and used their eggs to hatch a flock using an incubator given us by my father.

The present flock are Black Sex Link and they were purchased from a hatchery.

They enjoy free ranging as much as possible and they are fed organic feed.

We enjoy about 6-7 big brown eggs everyday this time of year.

We will be enlarging the flock this Spring.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2016 :  3:47:12 PM  Show Profile
Charity Van Ausdle (#6821) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I've always loved buttons, they can dress-up any drab clothing. I started my collection at a young age, my mother worked in a craft store, they had a five cents bin of single buttons.

I have well over 50 button, mainly bought not found.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2016 :  3:52:40 PM  Show Profile
Charity Van Ausdle (#6821) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I've been bird watching once, and loved it. So I made a list of all the birds I wish to see in future trips.

The list:
Brant, Thayer's Gull, Bald Eagle, Great Blue Heron, Pacific Loon, Cooper's Hawk, American Kestral, Merlin, Peregrine Falcon, Sanderling, Brown Creeper, Western Screech Owl, Gray Jay, Steller's Jay, Bewick's Wren, Winter Wren, Song Sparrow, Brewer's Blackbird, Purple Finch.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page