Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  3:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (AdeleHale, #6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I read through our power company's website to find out where our electric comes from. It turns out our electric company, Diverse Power, in LaGrange, GA, influenced President Franklin D. Roosevelt to create the Rural Electrification project! I shared what I learned on the Farmgirl Sisterhood merit badge board, which you can see here: www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic/asp?whichpage=7.8&TOPIC_ID=70118#882827

I learned a lot about how power is generated. I never really thought about it before.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  11:59:31 AM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I took a Level 1 and Level 2 Wilton Cake Decorating Class at Michael's Craft Store.

I learned so much - from how to bake a cake, how to level it, how to frost it and how to decorate it! I thoroughly enjoyed taking these classes four 2-hour classes.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  12:01:32 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I made a cake to celebrate the engagement of friends. I used the Dot technique, the Pull technique as well as I tried to color the actual cake to match the colors of the outside - three different colors. I also created mini cakes using the scallop technique, leaves technique and Wilton rose.

I had fun making it - I was a little worried the engagement cake wouldn't turn out - but I think it worked out well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  12:06:02 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Apples Merit Badge!

“I researched some varieties of apple trees that grow well in my area, when to plant them, and how to take care of them. When my new trees arrived, I planted them.

Thank you very much Trees of Antiquity. I ordered a Cinnamon Spice, Cox Orange Pippin, and a Calville Blanc. They came in Thursday and I planted them Saturday. I followed the planting directions meticulously and am looking forward to their coming out of dormancy and beginning to grow. I tossed a bunch of wildflower seeds around the base of the trees for added interest. In a few weeks we will get a load of cow manure and begin our edible forest plans. I'll keep you posted on how well that goes.

I also got two cherry trees and an Italian prune plum. We are going to relocate two young plum trees on our property and add a couple of pear trees to our expanding orchard. After that I think we will put in a grape arbor.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  12:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“The most common food allergies are: Peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, milk, eggs, soy, and wheat. About 3% to 4% of our population actually have food allergies.

In my family and circle of friends, we have MSG allergy, peanut and tree nut allergy, and saltwater seafood allergy (iodine). That pretty much puts most Asian food off limits. We have to watch the baked goods we get, and pay attention to the source of the seafood: shrimp bad, crayfish good. These allergies are life-threatening for my friends and family.

We have milk sensitivities in our family, and I have flare-ups of a childhood wheat allergy sometimes as well as issues with alcohol (something in it will trigger an allergic reaction sometimes). Nothing life threatening, just uncomfortable or inconvenient.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  12:23:43 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (Forever Young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“My passion is collecting Cookbooks. Not just any cookbook but ones that interest and appeal to me. I have a collection of old vintage dating back to 1922. I have tried researching it but can't find another like it. The vintage cookbook that means the most to me is called "The Modern Family Cookbook" first published in 1942 by Meta Givens. I have the later edition 1953. This book belonged to my Mom. Every holiday I would call and ask for our favorite candied sweet potatoes recipe. One day she gave it to me, I will always treasure it.

I also collect Canning, Christmas, all sorts of cookbooks. I love to sit and read them. I own 400 different ones. My collection is not unique but something I love. If I feel overwhelmed or run out of space with to many cookbooks, I take them to a thrift store to share with other collectors.

I started collecting cookbooks because I love to cook and Can. I enjoy experimenting with recipes to make them to my own taste.
One cookbook that I enjoy reading for fun was first published in 1887, called "The Original White House Cookbook." It has such interesting stories and different ways on how they cooked back then.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  12:37:27 PM  Show Profile
Diane Kasperzak (DiDi, #3657) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“I spent last summer going to horse shows. I saw Arabian horses, Quarter horses, Appaloosas, Morgans, Friesians, and Clydesdales. Quarter horses are a favorite because my sister shows them and I have become a 'groupie' at the shows with all of the rides from her barn. I help with any small tasks at the shows, run errands, and photograph them horses and riders during the shows.

I have a better appreciation for what the riders do, especially in the show ring. The horses are beautiful, but they are huge and powerful. It takes such skill and focus for the riders. I admire the riders and the horses, and I very much enjoy the opportunity to watch them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  12:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Diane Kasperzak (DiDi, #3657) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“I put together a scrapbook for my sister of her and her horse, Madison, at the Region 6 Quarter Horse Show in Massachusetts. I also created a shadow box with a photo of my sis and Madison as the background, with a rosette ribbon that they won, and an inspirational newspaper quote that my mother gave us.

My sister loved the scrapbook and the shadowbox! They turned out great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  12:46:34 PM  Show Profile
Diane Kasperzak (DiDi, #3657) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I researched the photography terms and found several of them to be intriguing (especially framing and leading lines) and something I hadn't considered when taking photos. I will try to use these techniques in the future.

I have taken well over 20 photos of horses, country scenes and family pets, three of which were posted in the Chat Room.

I got a blue ribbon at the Eastern States Exposition for the black-eyed susan photo posted in the Chat Room,and a white ribbon at the Four-Town Fair for the photo of my parents' dog, Baby Sammy, also seen in my post.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  12:48:28 PM  Show Profile
Diane Kasperzak (DiDi, #3657) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning am Intermediate Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I admire so many of the famous photographers' photos, but I am particularly drawn to close-ups of flowers. There are many such photos on display on-line and I was also inspired by a woman I worked with who also takes flower photos. We went to the Bridge of Flowers in Shelburne Falls on two occasions, and I posted my 10 favorite photos from those trips in the Chatroom. I also entered several of the photos in the local fairs, and shared 8x10's with several elderly family members to send them cheer.

I read "50 Incredible Photographic Techniques and Tutorials" and "Ten Top Photography Composition Rules."

I was astonished when I first saw my photos; I won a few ribbons at the fairs; my family loved the colorful photos; I learned new techniques; and I look forward to another wonderful trip to one of my new favorite places, the Bridge of Flowers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  1:10:03 PM  Show Profile
Diane Kasperzak (DiDi, #3657) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I have taken photos for several events where I have taken more than 100 photos at each. One occasion was a high-school graduation. In addition to a photo album for the graduate, I framed several photos of her with her family members. I also have made several calendars with photos that I have taken.

I read "Advanced Photography Techniques," "Six Advanced Tips for Photography Composition," and "18 Composition Rules for Photos that Shine."

I posted one of my favorite photos of a chipmunk sitting on a raccoon statue, along with my thoughts about taking photos, in the Sisterhood Chatroom.

I have recently been informed by the National Wildlife Federation that I was a finalist in its 2015 photo contest, and that my photo of a chipmunk sitting on a raccoon statue (taken in my backyard) is on the NWF website in the Honorable Mention slideshow. The photo was also awarded a blue ribbon at the Eastern States Exposition.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  1:12:55 PM  Show Profile
Diane Kasperzak (DiDi, #3657) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“I researched the four types of basket weaving. I used a basketry kit with a shaped mold to make a small Shaker "kitten head" basket. It definitely took more than three hours, and I actually spent a few hours a day for a few days making the basket.

I love the little basket! I entered it into the Four-Town Fair in Somers, CT in the basketry category, using a troll vignette as the "background." [More about trolls when I earn my "Collect it!" badge]. My basket was awarded a blue ribbon!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2016 :  1:04:02 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“My angels are all over the house, some sit and some hang. I have a collection of some smaller ones that hang on a dowel tree in my bathroom. They are either fabric, wood, lace or crochet construction. I have one soft sculpture angel that hangs in my bedroom that looks farmgirl-y and reminds me of my mom so she is named “Marguerite” which is my mom’s middle name. There are some that hang in my project room which is where I do my crafting, journaling, etc.

I had a calendar that had artist drawn pictures of angels for all of the months and I selected my favorites of those and asked my hubby to make frames for them. They are square so I was not able to purchase ready-made frames locally for them, but he did a beautiful job on them. Two of them are framed in an old window frame that still had the glass in it and I use it as a wall hanging.

I also have a collection that are specifically Christmas angels that vary in size and construction and are usually displayed on my piano at Christmas.

Most of my “year round” angels are sitting on my piano as music is a greater passion for me. They vary in size and construction, but one special one is a sculpy angel made by a farmgirl that is holding a heart that says “I Love Music.”

Working on this badge has inspired me to take a closer look at my angels, reorganize their display and appreciate them and what they mean to me even more. And, yes, they are everywhere in this Armstrong household!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  1:12:16 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Pottery / Ceramics Merit Badge!

“The three most common types of clay are earthenware (fires in a temperature range of 1700 to 2100°F), stoneware (fires in a temperature range of 2100 to 2300°F), and kaolin (fires in a temperature range of 2335 to 2550°F). You can throw it on a potter's wheel, roll it out like a pie crust, wrap coils on each other, or pinch it into whatever shape you desire.

Earthenware is a secondary clay that picks up many minerals and other materials before settling in a river bed. Because of this, it must be fired at a low temperature. Kaolin (china clay or porcelain) is primary source clay which means it is very pure and found at the source of the material it is made of. It is fired at the highest temperatures. Stoneware is the middle ground between earthenware and koalin and is fired at mid-range temperatures.

I read Ceramics: A Beginner’s Guide to Tools and Techniques by Elisabeth Landberger & Mita Lundin (very interesting book, I loved the different firing techniques at the end).

I found a local pottery supply in Tacoma and intend to take a sample class on using the potter's wheel.

At our local craft store, I got some clay which does not need to be fired. I pinched it into a bowl and let it dry.

Many, many years ago (pre-children) I took a pottery class in college. We didn't get to learn how to use a potters wheel, but we did learn about pottery construction and burnishing. We used terracotta (low fire) to make our pieces, and when some of the achieved the "leather" state, we burnished them (rubbed them with a spoon until they were shiny). Since low fire clay is porous, burnishing it makes it more water tight. (I remembered something from college at least).

Working with the clay made my hands very tired until I got it warmed up. Like working with playdough. I love pottery and have quite a few daily use pieces of my own, so making my little bowl got me to thinking about all the other things that would be fun to make.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  1:23:51 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I didn't have to contact our local power company as I already know how our electricity is produced. I researched 6 different types of energy production.

Our area is powered by hydropower from the Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River. Of all the energies I researched hydropower is the most expensive but it is also the most efficient and environmentally friendly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  1:26:24 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“We didn't have any leaks but I did replace our toilet fixtures with new energy efficient fixtures. Also we are on a well so have always been conscientious of our water usage.

This turned out well. We can't really tell the difference but new fixtures are supposed to use half the amount of water.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  1:30:35 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Have been recycling for an entire month plus. This area is pretty "green" and I couldn't find anybody who doesn't already recycle. I feel good about the fact that we have only one can of garbage per month and that we are doing our part to help the environment.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  1:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-DeMooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knit these fingerless gloves, with some yarn I bought on Saltspring Island last fall. I picked up a free wrist warmer pattern with the yarn, but unfortunately ran out of yarn Ύ of the way through the second one. The yarn shop has sadly gone out of business, so I couldn’t get more yarn. I went on to Ravelry and found the pattern for the fingerless gloves (rather trickier knitting) that was for that specific yarn, so after pulling out the first set, re-knit the yarn. All this took well over 20 hours, over the time, I knit in the company of quite a variety of friends.

They turned out really well, and I like the second set with the “short fingers” much better than the wrist warmers. I think they will keep me much warmer when working in our cool warehouse.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  1:40:53 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-DeMooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“I track the amounts that we spend on groceries in my accounting program. The average amount per person per meal, based on a 4 month average - $2.32. This is just what I spend on groceries, I have three teenagers and they all eat out sometimes, so this might be a bit higher. I was surprised that it was this low.

I skipped lunch one day which made me realize how challenging getting much else done is for those who don’t get regular meals. I was feeling quite out of energy and a bit shaky by dinner time. I feel so blessed to have a warm house to live in, and cupboards, fridge and freezers full of good healthy food.

I donated $10 to the food bank. I had been in the habit of doing this, every time I grocery shopped and then somehow the habit slipped away. I’m going to get back into the habit, it’s a good one.

It was very interesting to discover what our average meal costs, I would have guessed more.

I'm going to get back into the habit of donating to the food bank regularly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  1:46:21 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-DeMooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I listened to “The Earth Moved”, finishing it Nov. 29th, 2015. I had no idea there was so much to know about worms. It was actually quite fascinating. I was rather concerned that worms could actually destroy forests as we have a patch of mixed woods on our property and have used one area as a site to allow our sheep manure to break down. I will have to go and take samples at various places in our woods and see if I find worms or not. I decided not to start a worm ranch as I really just use our compost bins for everything.

I have used compost in my garden since we moved here 18 years ago. In the last year I have increased the size of my compost bins as I have expanded my garden. I use them for all the kitchen vegetable scaps, the garden waste and my rabbit straw and manure. I have two bins, so I will dig out the one on the right this spring and add to my garden beds, then move the other into the hole, thus putting the freshest materials on the bottom and start building back up again. I try my best to alternate brown and green layers, however over the winter I don’t have much garden waste for the green, but my rabbits keep going.

In most of our area, we are banned from putting food scraps in the garbage and are provided with bins for recycling of the food. Unfortunately our garbage route hasn’t got this in place yet. I was concerned about being fined and tried a system suggested by our local environmental agency. I took a metal garbage bin, drilled holes about 1/3 of the way up and then sunk it into the ground. You could add any kind of food scraps including, meat, bones, etc. I found it quite fascinating all the creatures which made their way into the bin to break down the food scraps. Lots of beetles, and other creatures etc. It seemed to be working really well until summer when a fly or flies must have got in, and I opened it to find it swarming with maggots. That was it for me. Back to composting.

I found "The Earth Moved" very interesting and learnt a lot from this book. My compost bins produce a lot of great compost for the garden.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  1:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (AdeleHale, #6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I researched all about recycling in Columbus and learned a lot! It turns out we have a recycling center, as well as recycling trucks that will provide us with city recycling bins and pick up our recycling at the curb. Our recycling center picks up plastics 1-7, cardboard, all kinds of paper and aluminum and steel cans. There are also four mobile recycling trailers and one of them is just up the road from us.

We are going to put in a request to get one of the new 95-gallon recycling carts as soon as they are available, as well as a couple of plastic recycling bins to carry ours to the recycling trailer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  1:21:28 PM  Show Profile
Melody Hingle (GoatieGirl, #6700) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I've dehydrated many different types of fruits and vegetables. I've also been using a dehydrator for years, to make Venison Jerky. This summer, I used my oven to dehydrate and dry some of my garden herbs and I also made several batches of Jerky. In the dehydrator, I made apple rings, dried potatoes, carrot chips, kale, strawberries, and various other vegetables from my grandmother's garden.

I've made breakfast for my family using some of the dehydrated fruits in Pancakes and some of my frozen vegetables in omelettes. I also use my Jerky for a high protein snack on hunting trips. Dehydrated fruits make great additives to homemade trail mixes for lunches too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  1:29:27 PM  Show Profile
Linda Olivera (#1919) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate & Expert Level [Subcategory] Merit Badge!

“I make all kinds of aprons – recycled jeans aprons, Souvenir Towel aprons, and reversible wrap aprons, among others. This is one of the aprons I made from a pattern. It is called a Lilly Apron.

The apron has two nice large pockets that hold whatever I may need to carry. The straps are wide and comfortable, the band across the top of the chest means it stays put and keeps me clean no matter what I am doing, and the gathered skirt is roomy and non-binding. I wear this apron outside a lot and everyone who sees it comments on it. My neighbor always comments on my different aprons when I wear them to her house or she sees me outside.

For Christmas last year another farmgirl and I exchanged gifts, but before we did, we both specified something we wanted that we knew the other could make. Connie said that she wanted me to make her an apron; she knew that I love aprons and make various types of them.

I designed this farmgirl apron and made one for both me and Connie! I designed it to be a fancy-go-to-town apron, yet with bright prints that would be good for everyday use, too. I added pale blue, yellow and white rick rack along the six seams and crocheted trim down both sides. The bottom edge of the apron has points; I used a man's necktie as a pattern for the shape of each of the seven panels of the apron to allow the apron to flare out at the bottom. The seven fabrics used for the panels represent interests that Connie and I have in common – music, cats, food, and chickens. This apron is also fully lined with white cotton fabric, because all the seams needed to be secured and protected from washing. After all, even a go-to-town apron needs washing. It's amazing what looks I can get when wearing an apron to town, even in my small town.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  1:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Heidi Weismann (#6778) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“As of February 1, 2016 I have begun a new "regime". I have started a new workout program that I have been writing down as to what to do what day on which week etc. I have planned it out through the end of April and hope to continue with it long after. It includes strength training (to help with stacking wood) and cardio. I am also adding more yoga and pilates since they really just make me feel good. I am also adding more "power" foods to my diet. Foods rich in protein to help with the strength training and foods rich in "good fats" ie: nuts, olive oil etc.

I have always been active and worked out but it was more like "which DVD will I do today" with no real schedule. I don't want to lose weight I want to tone up and stay in the best shape possible. I can include date started and what I have planned on to be the 3 month end date but I would really like to say that the date finished will be "never" since I want to always continue to work out in one way or another.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  2:06:51 PM  Show Profile
Linette Batterman (#6768) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“In late December I started journaling about where food in the Black Hills comes from. Then I learned how to sprout, I am continuing to learn how to do that.Ten ways to incorporated more fruits and veggies wasn't as easy, but we are still working on it (it helps to make a weekly meal plan and stick to it).

We have pretty much gotten most of the artificial sweeteners and hydrogenated oils out of the cupboards. I have also been sharing what I have been learning with friends and family.

I have found a local source for milk, meat, poultry and pork and there is no membership fee! BH Milk also has limited amount of organic produce this time of year. There is a farmers market for most of the summer in Spearfish and RC and several garden stands in Spearfish for fresh produce when things start coming into season. Breadroot food coop in Rapid City has a optional $20 yearly fee, it gets you a discount on most items.

While I was learning how to sprout, I also sprouted Einkorn wheat berries (more on that later, when I start learning how to make bread!) I have learned that food is more nutritious when sprouted!
While eliminating artificial sweetners and hydrogenated oils out of the cupboards, I cleaned the cupboards and checked all expiration dates! We have increased the use of butter, olive oil, grape seed oil, coconut oil, flax seed oil (really good for salad dressing) and less refined sugar, including learning how to use raw sugars.

During this process, I have reevaluated how we eat and have been making lots of changes! I have also been sharing with family and friends as I learn, some think I'm nuts (especially the less processed milk), some think it is great and some are already doing it!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page