Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  4:21:39 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I no longer use any toxic pet care products, and have begun using organic foods, home-made foods, and essential oils for tick repellent. I make my own toys and beds. I belong to an all breed dog club, and we have shared our tips with each other. My 2 dogs and 3 cats are all spayed/neutered.

Several members of my dog club are now using essential oils for their dogs. One member makes homemade collars that she sells to the rest of us, and we have all shared recipe tips to cook for our dogs.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  4:28:53 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a half apron with a pattern from the book "Retro Aprons" by Cindy Taylor Oates. Love it! I really like the fun chicken fabric that I used.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  4:34:22 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“From Friday afternoon, August 12th, to Monday morning, August 15th my household has gone without cell phones, radio, tv, internet, and anything on the computer. We did yard work, went for walks, played with the dogs, knitted, baked and sewed (me), and read books. My husband did some cleaning in the barn, something he has been meaning to get to for a long time.

This was a very productive weekend. I was shocked to realize how much time is taken up by electronic things. The biggest pulls for me were the radio and Facebook. I tend to turn those things on by habit. This weekend helped me to realize that I enjoy the quiet, and have been fine without all the outside stimulation.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  4:37:16 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I watched the trailer for the Vanishing Bees movie, and plan to now watch the whole movie. Very scary.

I have Russian sage, snapdragons, and sunflowers in my yard. The bees are really attracted to the sage and sunflowers.

I just finished reading "The Secret Life of Bees." Great book; one that I will share.

I love watching the bees in my yard. I tried to get a photo, but well, they wouldn't sit still! I will be looking further into the movie "Vanishing Bees" to continue to learn more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  12:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Mica Garbarino (frolickingfarmgirl, #6985) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I got rid of all chemical cleaners and went green using all natural cleaners for kitchen, bathroom, dusting and laundry. I am using Mrs. Meyers Cleaners. I love it, won't go back to harsh chemicals.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  12:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Mathis (Andi, #5199) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“I ordered the ChillOver powder.This stuff is amazing! After a day of blueberry picking my friends and I tried out the the blueberry jam recipe and the lemon blueberry ChillOver. We liked it so much we have ordered more and are going to try making marshmallows with it.

The recipes turned out wonderful. I will definitely be using chill over powder again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  12:43:04 PM  Show Profile
Susan Bird Olds (Bird Brain, #7085) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I love hand-sewing and really wanted to create a simple storage system for needles and pins of various sizes. I settled on a book-style mini-portfolio of felt that I embellished with buttons and embroidery. It has five pages that contain seed bead needles, sewing and embroidery needles stuck into the felt. It's small and easy to keep on an end table. I have made some for friends as well.

I love how it turned out!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  12:58:45 PM  Show Profile
Susan Bird Olds (Bird Brain, #7085) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“There are thousands of historic and contemporary quilt blocks and I decided to create one myself. The block I created is called "Eggs and Bacon."

I think it's a hoot, although the colors belie the theme somewhat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  1:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-DeMooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I watched the trailer for Vanishing Bees, and found it very interesting and went on an watched the whole thing on Netflix. It really makes you think. I have two neighbors with bee hives and I have a lot of bees in my garden. They particularly love all my herb flowers and at this moment, my raspberries. I have a lot of fruit coming, thanks to those bees.

I had read Secret Life of Bees a number of years ago, but I really enjoyed re-reading it.

I am finding myself getting more interested in perhaps getting bees myself. I know someone who raises bees and I may ask her if she would be willing to teach me. I’ve been listening to a homesteading podcast where they have been learning about bees with their first hive. This may be a project for next year. It would be fun to think about being a little bit of the solution to all the bee problems.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  1:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-DeMooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I have recently purchased six Silver Laced Wyandotte chickens. They should be starting to lay about the end of September. I have had to build a completely new chicken pen for them as the last time a I had chickens a number of years ago, sadly the barn was not raccoon proof. They are really quite beautiful birds. I am able to purchase organic chicken feed at our local feed dealer.

I have also been raising meat rabbits for the last two years. I have two does and one buck. The does are Flemish Giants and the buck is a California. With this amount of rabbits, I find that we are able to eat rabbit once a week. My husband and I slaughter and butcher the rabbits ourselves. I have also taken a rabbit sausage making class and make my own sausage patties.

Both chickens and rabbits get vegetables and weeds/grass etc from my organic garden.

I really like being able to provide our own healthy protein.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  2:03:44 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-DeMooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“This is an interesting badge for me, as we are on a well and during the summer have to be careful with our water usage or we can run out for a time. I have a large vegetable garden and water it by hand, but with 5 people in the house, showers, laundry etc all use up a considerable amount.

None of our taps are leaking.

Ways to conserve water:
Shorter showers
Convince certain household members to have less showers/tubs per day!!
Water around base of plants rather than using a sprinkler
Don’t water the lawn
Only run washing machine or dishwasher when full
Purchase water conserving appliances when old ones die
Water garden cool ends of the day instead of during the hot middle so less evaporates
Don’t wash cars
Place a ˝ gallon container of water in toilet tank to reduce usage
Install a rain barrel
Use nipples for chickens and float bowls for livestock instead of large buckets or bell waterers.

I have inserted a 2 liter milk jug in one of our toilets to reduce the water used each time and we haven't had any problems. The other tank has a floating mechanism and doesn't have space to put in a milk jug. Unfortunately this is the toilet that gets the most use, but every little bit will help.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  2:11:17 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-DeMooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I am still just learning to crochet. I have made a number of simple dishcloths, so I worked on learning new stitches and following a pattern. It didn't take 3 hours to make a dishcloth, so I made more than one.

I have enjoyed participating in various dishcloth swaps and learning new stitches. I'm still struggling to create something circular, but I'll keep working on it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  2:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-DeMooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I learnt to cross-stitch probably 20 years ago from a friend while on a camping trip. I have done many projects in the years since. I did a bookmark for this badge which I used in one of the swaps. I have also taught my daughter to cross-stitch. She doesn’t think it is for her at this point in her life, but she does know how if she wants to come back to it later.

It was fun to do a small project as it had been quite a while since I have done any cross-stitching.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  2:32:46 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I have kept a gratitude journal for the past month, and have been pleased by the change this has made in my overall attitude throughout the day. I find myself looking for things to be grateful for! I didn't have any problem coming up with something new each day. The Book of Awesome is amazing and funny! I found myself laughing out loud at some of his "awesome" selections.

I will continue my gratitude journal, and continue reading the Book of Awesome. I have found that a grateful attitude is contagious, and some of my co-workers are coming around to the positive side!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  11:22:40 AM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Tatting Merit Badge!

“I cannot knit (with needles) or crochet, so I was feeling a little skeptical that I could learn tatting.

I copied the tatting guide from the MaryJane's Stitching Room book, and chose the largest needle and thread (the better to see). After about 30 minutes; the instructions were on the floor and I was tatting a chain! I managed to get a 3 foot chain done.

There are some things that I can pick up on quickly, tatting happened to be one of them. On day 3 I was making little snowflakes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  11:28:21 AM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“I continue to visit my elderly neighbor lady. Every time I go to the store, I check and see if she needs anything. I recently took her out to a farmer owned produce stand, helped her get peaches and tomatoes, and helped her can all of it. I don't like tomatoes or peaches, so the work was purely for her.

I have also been helping another neighbor (single mom) get around. She's learning to drive, but until she passes her written test, she cannot drive.

As for sewing diapers; the local women's shelter didn't want any. But they gave me a list of needed items. So far I've donated clothes, toys, toiletries, a digital camera, and a cellphone.

The hardest part was definitely the canning. Both my elderly neighbor and I can't wait for the season to be over. But she'll have food to eat this winter. I think the cat will also be glad when it's all over.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  11:32:35 AM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“The cross stitch fabrics that I know about are aida, even weave, hardanger, plastic canvas, and linen. I prefer Aida; sizes 18-14. It's easier for me to work with.

I did a Peter Rabbit cross stitch for the fair. I used a size 14 aida cloth. It may look small, but it called for a lot of colors.

I was born with Asperger's syndrome, and one of my difficulties is numbers, I find that I have to recount my stitches a lot. Which makes cross stitch hard for me.

I am pleased that it won a 1st place ribbon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  11:35:27 AM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have researched what is available in my local area to recycle. We do not have curbside available where I live, although it is available in town. I can recycle rigid plastics #1-#7, glass food containers, tin/steel food cans, aluminum cans, cardboard, newspaper, shoe boxes, cereal/food boxes, magazines, and office paper. Electronics have to go to a specific place and there is a charge per pound.

I have begun to collect these items, and have found out where and when to take them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  11:38:52 AM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“As a quilter, I researched organizations where I can use my quilting skills. There are many (local and national), including Project Linus, Quilted Comforts, and the one I ultimately chose, Quilts of Valor. The quilts made by QOV are donated to veterans upon request of their family in honor of their service. I have attended "sew days" where we work on blocks to create one quilt, or we may work on individual quilts.

I have finished my latest project for QOV, with approx. 40 hours of time into this quilt. This quilt will be presented to a Vietnam veteran in September!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  12:07:50 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Rockingham County does not require recycling however they have 6 convenience center that recycle all pet plastic, glass, bi-metal, newspaper, cardboard, aluminum, scrap metal, alkaline batteries and used oil. At the landfill it self we reuse brush, grass and leaves. We take tires to be recycled off sit. We recycle antifreeze, small appliances, tvs, and refrigerant appliances. All the locations have Salvation Army boxes.

I have decided to go ahead with the badge requirements and recycle all possible items. I was going to wait 5 months until I retire but I'm going to go ahead starting today. Really want to see just how much I really have to throw out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  12:12:12 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I went through the house and found that the many places I put things that I had 85 buttons. Most of them from clothes that wore out and I took the buttons off and put in drawers so if I need one I can find it.

I now have all my buttons in a "button box" which is actually a pint jar. I look forward to finding more and completing the other stages of the badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  2:29:17 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I have recently replaced my old pots and pans (Teflon coated) with new stainless steel. I was making a meringue recently and saw flecks of black in it. I realized this was the Teflon coating coming off into our food. I have also gone through my mother-in-law's older pots, and found some great cast iron skillets and canning equipment. These items have now been moved into my kitchen!

I am really enjoying cooking with my new pots and pans, and feel much better about not using Teflon any more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  2:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“As my older relatives have passed on, I seem to be the person who inherits the recipes! (Ok by me). My mother-in-law passed several years ago, and I have finally make it a point to go through her old trunks. I found several recipe books that have now made their way into my kitchen. I already have several aunts' recipes and my parents.

I have selected several recipes to try in the coming weeks, helped by my husband who remembers many of the dishes. Looking forward to some great meals.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  2:45:58 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“I decided to try a few new things in my garden this year and for root crops chose red potatoes, parsnips and leeks. I know that some say leeks aren’t a root crop, but my research tells me that they generally are considered to be a root crop. I’ve purchased them at Farmers Market in the past and really like them so thought I’d give them a try. My mom always planted parsnips in her garden but in all my adult years and gardening I have not. Thought it worth a try. I always plant beets and carrots, and have my favorite varieties, but do try different ones.

We have researched different ideas for storage for our root crops, but usually leave them in the ground and dig as we need them. In our climate, typically the snow layers insulate from the cold and if we mark where they are planted we can usually just go dig up what we need. The leeks will be kept in the refrigerator. I don’t have a large crop so they probably won’t last long.

I didn’t put any potatoes in the photograph as I didn’t want to dig any of them up just yet. I did post a pic of the plant with blossoms on it in the Garden Gate section of the forum. I’m always happy with planting a garden and even happier when things grow. This year has been relatively successful and I hope to try a couple new things next year ... just for fun!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  3:32:48 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I made and wore a bracelet. I thought it would be uncomfortable but I didn't know I had it on.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page