Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2016 :  2:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Mica Garbario (Farmgirl Freckles, #6985) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I have raised chickens. I also eat or buy local farm fresh, or farmer's market eggs that are grass fed, cage free, pasture raised. I also eat local chicken meat. I have learned to milk not only cows but goats as well. I love the experience. I highly recommend it to everyone!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2016 :  2:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Mica Garbario (Farmgirl Freckles, #6985) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I not only used color pencils but also added ink and paint to an image I found on Pinterest. I love how this turned out.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  4:16:32 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer DeAngelo (#2522) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have bought or sewn multiple reusable shopping bags. I have 3 that I have made and about 10 that I bought. I use them whenever I shop in order to cut down on my plastic use.

Sometimes I do forget to bring my bags, but I always reuse the plastic bags I do acquire to stuff sewing projects of clean out the kitty litter. I would say I remember my bags about 85% of the time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  4:27:36 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer DeAngelo (#2522) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I recorded all of my information in my FGSH journal. I chose Italian as my culture. I have dual citizenship with the U.S. and Italy, which is why I chose that culture. I have never visited Italy, but it is on my bucket list. I took Italian in high school, but did not remember how to count to ten. I looked up the information and practiced. I can do it by heart again. I researched some simple greetings just as good morning: buongiorno and goodbye: arrivederci. I researched family life, cuisine, and the language of Italy and recorded my findings in my journal.

It turned out pretty well. I learned a lot of new information that I did not previously know.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  4:29:15 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer DeAngelo (#2522) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I researched an influential female Italian. Her name was Trotula of Salerno. She was alive during the 11th adn 12th centuries. She was:
1. a female physician
2. a pioneer in women's health
3. considered the world's first gynecologist
4. advocated the use of opiates to dull labor pains for women
5. main focus was alleviate suffering for women
claimed both men and women could be responsible for infertility.

I also learned a few new Italian phrases. I don't know all of them by heart yet, but I am working on it.

Mi scusi. (Excuse me. [Formal])

Non parlo bene l’italiano. (I don’t speak Italian well.)

Parla inglese? (Do you speak English? [Formal])

Parlo inglese. (I speak English.)

Mi sono perso. [M]; Mi sono persa. [F] (I’m lost.)

Sto cercando il mio albergo. (I’m looking for my hotel.)

Sì, lo so. (Yes, I know.)

Non lo so. (I don’t know.)

Non so dove sia. (I don’t know where it is.)

Non capisco. (I don’t understand.)

Capisco, grazie. (I understand, thanks.)

Può ripetere, per cortesia? (Can you repeat, please? [Formal])

This turned out great. I am learning more about my background and I am finding it quite interesting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  4:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer DeAngelo (#2522) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“Italian Christmas Traditions:

Feast of the 7 Fish...
On Christmas Eve, Italians will have a dinner that consists of 7 individual fish dishes.

Christmas Eve Mass...
Italians will go to church services at midnight on Christmas Eve

I plan to have the Feast of the 7 Fish this year. I have been planning meal ideas on Pinterest in order to plan an affordable and delicious meal!

I have been able to find some cost friendly meals that I would like to try this year for Christmas Eve dinner. Some are light- shrimp cocktail and some are heavy- scallop Alfredo. I can't wait until December.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2016 :  3:41:48 PM  Show Profile
Lenorah McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I recycled everything for the month of September and part of October. I got my companion to help most of the month.

I liked the small amount of trash I actually had to take to the landfill, where I work. The actual time to put the recycled items in their proper places really took no more time than throwing out the trash bags. I will continue to recycle and compost as much as possible.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2016 :  3:45:05 PM  Show Profile
Lenorah McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I made a list of the birds in my yard and garden for two weeks. I most want to see an eagle take flight. I saw one in a tree in the field out back last spring but I didn't see it fly.

I am more aware of what birds to feed this winter and where I can put the feeder so as not to bring them near my chickens.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2016 :  4:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Guthrie (Patricia99, #6991) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“Made a bookmark. I'm certainly glad that looking at the back of the bookmark won't be required for this badge! It turned out very pretty. I had to un-stitch a few times, but finally completed it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2016 :  12:06:59 PM  Show Profile
Donna Rowe (Mrs Noah, #6295) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner, and Intermediate Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“My favorite thing to do is to make things of practicality for others. My pastors wife wished for study bags for each attendee in one of our classes so I made 24, each unique. I ended up with some leftover and was happy to put them in my Operation Christmas Child collection!

The ladies (girls!) had a difficult time just choosing one which made me all the happier that they approved my combinations. Kind of a "Whew!" They still don't know who made them as I asked to keep it that way.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2016 :  1:55:58 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“My dogs already have their Canine Good Citizen titles, so I took it one step further with my Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Jester. We have earned our Companion Dog Title from the American Kennel Club! To earn this title the dog must earn 3 qualifying scores at 3 different dog shows under 3 different judges.

We started in August at the Greeley, Colorado shows (although the training for this started months earlier). We earned 2 qualifying scores in Greeley. We finished the title on September 30th at the Grand Valley Kennel Club dog show in Grand Junction, CO. To earn a qualifying score a dog must heel a pattern on leash, under control at all times and in heel position. The dog must sit every time the handler stops.

There is also a figure 8 pattern, again with the dog in heel position. Next is a “stand for exam” where the dog must remain standing and allow the judge to touch them with the handler standing 6 feet away. The toughest exercise for us was the “Heel Free.” The dog must repeat the heeling pattern from before, but entirely off leash. The dog must remain by the handler’s side during all the turns and speed changes.

Next is a recall exercise, where the dog is placed on a stay and the handler walks across the ring, turns and faces the dog, and calls the dog to come front. The dog must come at a brisk pace and sit directly in front of the handler. The judge then tells us to “finish,” and the dog moves into heel position. The last 2 exercises involve staying position, both in a sit for 1 minute and a down for 3 minutes. During these exercises the handler is across the ring and the dogs are all in a line together about 2 feet apart.

This is Jester’s 4th AKC title, so he is now officially “Jester CD RN BN CGC.” (Companion Dog, Rally Novice, Beginner Novice, Canine Good Citizen). So proud of my boy! Now on to train for the next level!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2016 :  3:06:22 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I took the time to cut up a few pairs of old jeans, and salvage as much fabric as I could. I then mended and reinforced 4 pairs of jeans. That being fixing holes, rips, and belt loops. I had to do the work by hand so it took up most of the time.

The other thing I did was I made a constellations coin purse. I didn't have a pattern so I had to start from scratch. I chose to embroider the constellations: Virgo, Canis Major, Libra, Big Dipper, The Phoenix, and Orion. I then added gold beads for stars and one red bead for Mars.

I actually made 2 coin purses, but I didn't like the first one, so I started over with a smaller pattern.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2016 :  3:10:55 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Tatting Merit Badge!

“First I made a bunch of snowflakes from 2 different patterns.

A friend of mine commented on my tatting, she knew how to tat with a shuttle, but not a needle. She made the suggestion that I teach a basic tatting class.

To make a long story short; An announcement was made that I would be teaching needle tatting. 10 people signed up. So I made copies of the instructions, and wrote a easy pattern for them to learn.

In the end 6 people showed up (those who couldn't made appointments) and the class lasted 4 hours!

It was difficult to teach a class, but luckily my friend was in it, picked the instructions up quickly, and helped me walk around and help people who were lost. I didn't have time to take pictures.

They requested that I teach 2 more classes on how to tat a snowflake and starch the snowflakes. I haven't set a date yet.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2016 :  3:19:13 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I researched the benefits of taking time to relax such as: lowering your blood pressure, increasing blood flow to major muscles, improving concentration, and improving mood.

I've been busy since July! If it's not canning produce, then it's giving people rides, or finishing projects. Not to mention all of the gardening. I need to stop!

I actually managed to get plantar fasciitis in my left foot from all of this running around.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2016 :  3:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I have a weak immune system which causes me to get nauseous for no good reason. When that happens I first need to turn off all sounds, lay down if I can, and do my breathing exercise. To do the breathing exercise you take a deep breath through the mouth and blow through the mouth (like you're trying to blow a fly away).

Now because I managed to get plantar fasciitis in my left foot; I'm on a forced rest. So I relax by putting my feet up and watching documentaries on tv.

It's actually tough to stop everything, especially when you have the energy to do things. But I have a trip planned for next month, so I have to heal before then.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  1:04:19 PM  Show Profile
Elise Grant (#7156) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I took my son on a walk around our neighborhood and house and helped him to identify our trees.

We are doing nature unit studies for home school and it was fun to help my son get excited about the trees around us.

It was a good reminder for me to remember nature around us and to learn a bit more about some types of trees that are planted for landscaping. (I am a horticulturist, so I like to get new ideas!)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  1:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Melody Hingl (GoatieGirl, #6700) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“I've been getting into Hunting for the past several years, but each year I dive more into harvesting my own organic wild meat to help my family make it through the cold Pennsylvania winters. I've grown up eating venison, but in the past 4 years I've branched out and started hunting squirrels, doves, geese and turkeys for the meat. I've read our Pennsylvania Hunting and Trapping Digest thoroughly to make sure that I'm in compliance with the local Game laws. I've also been reading about the safe handling of game meats, because my husband and I are remodeling our basement kitchen for canning and harvesting purposes.

I feel that I'm ready for this fall's Hunting Season and I'm very thankful for the opportunity to be able to harvest our own Wild Meat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  1:18:16 PM  Show Profile
Melody Hingl (GoatieGirl, #6700) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“In April of this year, my husband and I ordered 15 chicks (3 different breeds) from our local feed mill. We had previously acquired 9 old chickens from my Mother-in-Law, but they weren't laying much due to their age and the cold over winter. It has been such a joy watching our baby chicks grow into full fledged layers. Our chickens began to really start laying on October 1st and since then we have started our own booming neighborhood egg business. It has been so much fun.

I've come to realize that I absolutely love having chickens. They are a stress reliever after a long hard day's work. Gathering the eggs, is such a joy for me. I can't seem to choose just one breed that I love the most, and I imagine that I will most likely own chickens the rest of my life.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  1:32:07 PM  Show Profile
Brenda White (#6769) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“My daughter who is now 29, was diagnosed at 20 months with a severe to profound hearing loss. She started wearing hearing aids at 2 years of age. I have learned a lot about deaf culture and sign language. My daughter was raised in a educational setting called total communication. She reads lips (which isn't taught but is something she just can do) signs and speaks. My family started learning sign language when our daughter was about 2 1/2 years old.

My education has turned out well! She now lives in Washington D.C.and is a chef. We Facetime often using sign and speaking. I communicate well with her deaf friends and have been accepted into their community.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  12:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Alvarez (TinyChinaCows, #7224) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I've had this National Geographic “Field Guide to the Trees of North America” on my bookshelf for a while, so, when I read the requirement for the "Speak for the Trees" badge, I snatched the book from the shelf and headed outside. I live in an apartment complex, but we have many different trees that need identifying! I identified the three required for this badge, but I'm certainly going be taking more tree-finding walks while the weather is nice!

I had lots of fun identifying our trees! The first one outside my building has peeling bark that looks like it's been painted in watercolors and tosses these fuzzy spheres at us every year- It's an American Sycamore, native to the Eastern US. (I took a photo, included below.) Another nearby tree turned out to be a Crepe Myrtle - It showers the sidewalk with flowers every year and is native to Japan and China!

Finally, it turns out that we actually have two different species of oak trees pelting us with acorns lately. One is Live Oak, native to our area and festooned with Spanish Moss. The other seems to be a Laurel Oak, which, according to my book, is a hybrid and is frequently used in Florida landscapes. On my next walk, I'm going to try to identify some of the Palm trees we have around here.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  12:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“In mid summer I planted some basil and rosemary in large pots for the purpose of having them in the house during the colder months. I have already been able to "harvest" some from each plant and have been using them in cooking.

Fresh herbs are much more tasty! I can actually tell when something is seasoned with the fresh herbs!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  3:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (Bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Going Green for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I made laundry soap, dish soap, all purpose cleaner and window cleaner.

The main ingredients I used were Vinegar, washing soda, castile soap, and essential oil.

I've been using green cleaners but they are expensive. I think these cleaners work just as good and they are cheap and easy to make.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  3:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (Bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Organic on a Budget Merit Badge!

“I made a food budget and ordered Mary Jane's budget mix. I planned meals around it for a month.

I'be been purchasing local grass feed beef, local chicken and eggs, and local fruits and vegetables whenever possible.

It feels good to know where your food comes from and that it's fresh. The hubby and I both enjoyed the budget mix creations. The picture I submitted is beef stew and dumplings.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  3:18:37 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (Bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I read worms eat my garbage. I found a worm factory on Craigslist and keep it in the kitchen. I also started a compost bin for the garden.

I started with worms I found in the yard and they are thriving and multiplying in their new home. The compost is coming along nicely and I plan to purchase bulk worms for it from our local supplier this spring.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  3:48:35 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“Instead of making a scrapbook (too expensive!) I made a shadow box collage. My father and I went to Universal Studios Hollywood and the WB studio tour. We had planned this trip for a year.

I papered over the backing of the frame with acid-free paper, and used acid free glue and ink. I printed a few photos to wallet size, wrote a few funny stories on labels, and gathered trinkets from the trip.

After assembling the collage, I papered the back and stapled the backing to the frame with a staple gun.

It was difficult to fit so much into such a small collage. There wasn't even a backboard on the frame, so I had to measure and cut one. Aside from that, it turned out well.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page