Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  1:59:38 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I decided to start my own collection of Spode, collecting 2 patterns, Cowslip and Buttercup. Because they are somewhat similar, they can be used together. I have hunted in antique stores and online. I have my collection stored in a china hutch but until today wasn't completely sure what pieces and how many I did have.

Today I did a complete inventory! I have a list for each pattern, how many of each piece and what they are valued if they needed to be replaced. I have a couple of pieces that I am still trying to find a value on but have a close idea of their worth. This is going to be so helpful for future collecting.

During my research, I found a couple of pieces that I would love to have someday...a jam jar, a 3 tiered plate and if I ever win the lottery, a soup tureen complete with underplate and lid! This one is hard to come by!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  2:01:26 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I have all of my Spode collection stored in a china hutch in my kitchen. Occasionally I move things around to display different pieces. I decided today that I need to use these lovely things more often...and not save them for special occasions! Every day can be a special occasion!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  4:18:43 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Apples Merit Badge!

“For this merit badge, I created a light dinner that used apples in 3 different dishes. I also created a bakeover using apples that turned out delicious! I have been drying apples for a long time and have made my own apple pie filling.

I decided to make a chicken salad with chopped apples, chicken, grapes, pecans and celery. I added a golden harvest muffin that includes shredded apples and carrots. For dessert, sliced apples and cheese.

For my Apple Blueberry Crumble Bakeover, I diced 3 apples and sauteed them with 4 T. butter, 1/2 c. brown sugar, a pinch of salt, cinnamon and 1/2 tsp.almond extract, along with a handful of fresh blueberries. Once the apples had softened a bit, I added the crust, which I made out of 3/4 c. Budget Mix, 1 c.old fashioned oats, 1/2 c. softened butter and 3/4 c. brown sugar. Once this was crumbled together, I poured it over top of the fruit and then baked at 350 for about 25 minutes. When it had cooled, we served it with vanilla ice cream!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  4:23:05 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“I contacted our local extension office about information on foraging for plants in our area. They were stumped! I was referred to a Master Gardener in the tri-county area. They could not help me either!

I finally found a wonderful book, "Foraging Oregon" by Christopher Nyerges. It is wonderfully illustrated and covers wild foods from all of the different environment types in Oregon...the ocean, desert, foothills, mountains, alpine and riparian areas, and also urban area...and recipes to prepare them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  4:25:33 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I have purchased organic produce in the past if I felt that it looked fresher than its non organic counterpart...but had not purposely bought organic because of the name on the label. I decided to try buying organic and really do a taste/quality comparison for myself.

I started purchasing a new organic product each week. The first month I tried organic spaghetti sauce, animal crackers, canned tomatoes and produce. I would buy all of them again except the crackers...the taste just wasn't great, but not because it was organic.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  4:28:29 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I continued to make more food favorites from scratch throughout the summer...bread, doughnuts, breaded fish sticks, sweet rolls and a healthy baked sweet and sour chicken, just to name a few.
My daughter and daughter in law would also try new recipes along with me!

All summer we shared goodies back and forth, seeing how everyone liked them. Not once did we find a store bought product that was better than homemade!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  4:33:26 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I have been sewing almost all of my life. I have several sewing kits...one at each of my sewing machines, one in the living room by my chair and one at the ironing board.

When my daughter moved into her own home, I made sure she had necessary sewing items to go with what she had already. I also recently replaced my old straight pins with some new pretty colored ones!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  4:35:30 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I have been sewing almost all of my life so I already knew how to sew straight seams by machine and by hand.

I've used a lot of different techniques over the years including french seams and flat felled seams. I got a serger 30 years ago when they were fairly new on the market and started using it to finish seams, as well.

I had a sewing/cooking 4H group for several years and taught my girls how to sew straight and finish their seams. That was one thing that my grandma taught me...the seams needed to look just as nice on the inside as they did on the outside!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  4:39:35 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“The expert level of this merit badge involved several different people in my life: my elderly father in law and his room mate; my grandmother, living in an assisted living home; an elderly friend of ours, who has been struggling with his health; my son and daughter in law; and a local home that supports unwed mothers.

During the last couple years of his life, I helped my husband take care of his father, driving him to all of his doctor appointments and taking care of him when he was recovering from his surgeries. I made sure that he had food in his fridge when he wasn't able to get out to his local senior center hangout. I tried to get him to let me bring in flowers for his room while he was staying in a physical rehab center, but he didn't think he needed any...even though it would've brightened up his room!

Although she lived almost 3 hours away, I tried to visit my grandmother while she was living in an assisted living home. When I couldn't make it, I made sure that I wrote her a LONG, "newsy" letter, as she called them...talking about each member in my family and what everyone was doing. She loved to keep up on everyone's comings and goings, especially when she was no longer able to get out and about herself.

My son and daughter in law are parents to 3 boys, ages 5,4 and 2 1/2. We have taken care of the boys on numerous occasions so they can have date nights or afternoons, most recently this past weekend when they had a real night away to celebrate their anniversary.

There is a wonderful home in a town nearby that houses and supports unwed mothers who have no where to live and no one to help them. They attend school, learn about finances, learn to cook and take care of themselves, so that when their baby is born they are prepared to live independently. They have a lot of community support, which is wonderful! There was already a woman who donates a case of diapers each month. They said they were in great need of pillowcases...so I sewed up a stack of them for the home. The girls are also learning how to knit. The home sponsors an auction and the girls were making items for it and also for their babies. I went through my yarn stash and donated a couple of grocery bags full of yarn for them to use.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  4:44:21 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I am always surprised when I see a tv commercial for ancestry.com or 23 and Me, when people have absolutely no idea who their ancestors are...not even much about their grandparents! I feel sad for them....I can't imagine NOT knowing who my family is and where they came from! Both of the sides of my family and both sides of my husband's family have always found it very important to share their history.

I can't remember a time when we weren't sharing old stories about relatives. All of my great grandparents immigrated to the US and I especially loved hearing about when they lived in Switzerland and Hungary. One of our cousins spent an extensive amount of time putting together a family history/genealogy for all of us. My sister had my grandparents sit down and videotaped several sessions with them about their family history.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  4:46:41 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I continued to buy a new organic food each week for the next 2 months. It's not hard to make organic choices in the supermarket...or even Costco. It was fun finding new things to try...just the organic version!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  4:48:34 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I continued buying organic for the next 5 months. I bought the same things that I always buy for my household, just the organic versions....everything from honey, organic baking mixes, canned beans, salsa, fresh produce, eggs and meat.

I think that's important to know your organic farmer, if at all possible. Unfortunately, there are those who aren't actually organic, even though they claim to be. I think it's unfortunate that people pay the price for organic and aren't getting their money's worth in these situations.

I've enjoyed buying organic for the last several months! I will probably continue to do so.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  3:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“There are only 2 different types of canning methods that are safe... the water bath and pressure cooker methods. I have heard of people using their ovens to can...or a water bath method in their bathtub! Not safe!

The type of food that you want to can determines which type of method you use.

Fruits, jams, fermented foods and tomatoes, with the addition of an added acid, will use a water bath method. These foods have a higher acidic level...anything that registers a 4.6 ph or lower. A temperature of 212 will be enough to kill any mold, yeast and bacteria in these foods.

Meats, fish, stews, soups and the like will use a pressure cooker. These are low acid foods. A pressure cooker allows the temperature to reach 240 degrees to kill unwanted bacteria.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  3:55:41 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I love to can! I think it's very relaxing and I always look forward to summer when fruit is ripe so I can make jam.

A friend of mine was visiting this winter and I was wanting to send her home with some goodies. We went out to my pantry and I sent her home with several jars of jam. She said she had never made jam but would love to learn! So, we made plans for her to come out this summer and can with me! This picture shows a couple of kinds of jam, pickled asparagus, pickles and relish.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  3:57:59 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I have canned a lot of different low acid foods over the years. They take a bit more time but it is well worth it.

I have canned venison and moose meat, chicken soup and chicken broth, smoked fish and steelhead and stew. I have shared them with family and friends. The canned stew made a great, easy meal when my parents went camping. My daughter loved the canned moose meat when she was in college away from home. My dad especially loved the canned smoked salmon...who wouldn't love that? This picture shows a canned chicken soup that I made....just heat and add rice or pasta.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:01:38 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“I have always had horses, ever since I was a little girl. We have always raised quarter horses. I think that they are the most versatile, all around horse that you can find. We use ours for ranch work, roping and pleasure riding.

Several years ago, I was able to tour the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, KY. Oh! It was such a great time! Not only is Kentucky beautiful, but the park and grounds and horses were beautiful, as well. We stayed for the all breeds horse program and I got to see a Friesian horse up close and personal. I told my husband if I ever win the lottery, that is the first thing on my list to bring home!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:04:22 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“Everyone has stress in some form in their life. Stress is pretty hard to escape. It can affect us physically, causing anxiety, loss of appetite, eating too much, loss of good sleep, headaches, high blood pressure and digestive issues. If left unmanaged, it can cause serious health issues and even disease.

What we CAN do is learn how we REACT to stress and not let it get the best of us and our health. It's important to find the way or ways that you personally can relax and unwind...reading, walking, some kind of physical activity, getting some sun, getting enough light, prayer, yoga, quiet time, a hot bath at the end of the day, a massage...

I spent 5-10 minutes each day the first week just being QUIET after my Bible reading. Just being quiet...not moving...just resting. How wonderful! It really made a difference in my afternoon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“There are several things that I can do to relax. I walk a lot outside when the weather is nice...inside on the treadmill when it's not.
I also like to knit, crochet, quilt and sew.

I continued to do one of the above everyday for at least 15 minutes. I really look forward to my quiet time of the day. I come away more focused and refreshed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:10:01 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“This past summer I decided to take an embroidery class. I have been embroidering for years but thought there were new things that I wanted to learn. I invited my mom to go along, too.

We also took a knitting class. Even though I have been knitting a long time, I am mostly self taught and wanted to learn new techniques from another source.

The classes were a great idea and so much fun! The ladies in the embroidery class were a fun group to get to know! They even meet twice a month at the local quilt shop and you can go down there and sit, stitch, visit and relax.

I continued all through the month of February, doing something each day for relaxation. I try and walk at least 4 times a week for an hour, which burns calories, stretches tight muscles and clears your mind. I have also been doing a lot of reading and stitching. I enjoy this kind of quiet time because it's true quiet time...sitting and being quiet and resting. All of them create a balance in my life.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“My parents were getting older and it was getting to be harder for them to manage a Christmas tree. Also...my mom loves Christmas and dad a bit of a scrooge!! So my sisters and I decided to buy them an artificial tree for their Christmas gift.

I delivered the tree to their house for a surprise and set it up for them, showing dad how easy it would be. The look on his face that he had been outvoted by his girls was priceless! Haha
Now that my mom is a widow, it is so easy for her to just bring the tree out of the attic when she is ready and not have to worry about going out by herself to find one.

She has her own special collection of ornaments so I have made her several Christmas quilted wall hangings and other decorations for her house.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:15:25 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“I started the planning for my expert Homespun badge in December 2015. I knew that I would need an entire year to finish. Thank goodness I did!

First of all, I made a list of the gifts that I would make for everyone and started working on them right away. EVERYONE got something handmade! I knitted an afghan and pillow, made an embroidery book/envelope, made shirts, made a quilt, made an advent box/calendar for my 3 grandsons, made a wool project for my daughter in law and made homemade body care products.

As I have a collection of beloved handblown glass ornaments, I decided to hang a new evergreen garland around our dining room entry. I filled it full of the hand embroidered ornaments that I had finished and over a dozen hand crocheted snowflakes. I got so many compliments on it...it was so pretty! I plan on doing it again next year. The picture is of the ornaments that I embroidered.

To fulfill the requirement for making a tree full of ornaments....I gave my daughter in law a box of crocheted snowflakes for her primitive tree that she likes to put up. She lives with a houseful of boys who love Star Wars and she does her own tree in her kitchen window. She will now have a tree full of snowflakes!

This badge was a lot of work...but so rewarding! I'm glad that I stuck it out and finished it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:23:52 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“I finished my great, great nephew's stocking on 1/15/17 and posted it under general chat. Going through the badges, I saw where I needed to post it again. Everyone loves my stockings.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:26:54 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Fishing Merit Badge!

“I have learned the knots that are listed in the beginner section of this badge along with the uni and double uni, perfection loop, dropper loop, nail, and blood knots. Some of the knots were easier than others.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Fishing Merit Badge!

“We have perch or sunfish, large and small mouth bass, muskie, crappie, pike, trout and carp are the main fish. I fish mostly for trout. I fly fish mostly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:31:01 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“Several of the neighbors have horses - pintos, quarter and miniature. I pet and talk to them everyday when I walk by. At times I would love to own one.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page