Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2018 :  09:38:05 AM  Show Profile
Marsha Jaramillo (Marjean #308) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“It was a pleasure to sit down with my Mother and talk about what she knew from her family tree. I love genealogy and have traced back the 4 sides of my family off and on over the years. It was always difficult to find information about my Mom's Father's side of the family.

I was able to trace 2 sides back 5 generations coming over on the Mayflower. My Mother's Mom was adopted so we don't have any information about her side. My Mom's Grandfather changed their name at some point before coming to Florida. So, that is why the trail always went cold so to speak.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2018 :  09:50:56 AM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (#4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate and Expert Level Public Service Merit Badge!

“I was just elected for a provincial body of physical and health educators (PHE MB) in the province of Manitoba. I was co-president for two years prior, and have been an active part of this group for 14 years. I have learnt a lot. I worked very hard to better my leadership skills and learn the duties of President.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2018 :  10:51:41 AM  Show Profile
Marlene Laverty (MarleneL, #7503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“I started this badge by keeping a food journal. I was surprised at what I was eating. Nothing like keeping a journal to hold yourself accountable. No wonder I have been over weight for the past ten years. I started by eliminating corn oils, vegetable oils, and all fast food. It was tough, but reading Animal, Vegetable, and Miracle was inspirational and it helped me to re-think my food choices.

I also started to sprout my own seeds. I picked and organic non gmo seed mix to sprout. I also added more fruits and veggies to my diet.

The food journal was a bit embarrassing. I knew I wasn't eating right, but seeing it in writing helped me make better choices. I sprouted some seeds and discovered I liked them a lot! I finished reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I need to sprout more each week than I thought. Adding more fruits and veggies is just a matter of replacing all my bad food choices with much better ones. Using coconut oil and olive oil to cook with helped too. After a few weeks I started to feel better too. I think I am starting to look better too!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2018 :  10:52:44 AM  Show Profile
Marlene Laverty (MarleneL, #7503) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“I started by looking at the different meditations available and how it affected the mind and body. I decided to start working with guided meditations. After a little web search, I found some for free on the web. I did find a meditation coach that I really liked so I decided to buy one of his guided meditation downloads and put it on my mp3 player.

I read that meditation can help lower your cortisol levels, lower blood pressure, and also help bolster memory and some studies hint that it can even create new neurological pathways in the brain. Amazing!

Well, I have been doing my meditations for over a week now and I have found that I am becoming a bit more organized, a lot less stressed out about everything, and more creative. I am able to do a 12 to 17 minute guided meditation after my morning yoga and I love it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2018 :  09:29:13 AM  Show Profile
Helen Ettlin (Helen Ettlin, #7130) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“Despite a home inspection, we found that our attic only had 3" of insulation. We added 12" of insulation and resealed around all vents and skylights. We did the same with our daughter's house.

It turned out great, our power bill dropped significantly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2018 :  09:29:56 AM  Show Profile
Helen Ettlin (Helen Ettlin, #7130) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have recycled for nine years and got my daughter to recycle as well. When we moved to this area, we found we had to drive about ten miles to the nearest recycling center. Rather than going once a week as we had been doing, we went once a month with a larger load.

Unfortunately, our trash company decided to raise the rates on recycling centers to the point that most host companies decided to remove them. There are now no recycling centers open anywhere near us.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2018 :  09:49:48 AM  Show Profile
Sheila LaPoint (VT Oma, #5766) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I read the Ball Blue Book, Guide to Home Canning, Freezing & Dehydration.

I looked at three different canned goods to try and decide how they were canned.

I learned about two different method, one was the Boiling Water method, and the other was the Steam - Pressure method. I learned that Boiling Water Method was for foods that is high in acid and that the boiling water should be at a temperature of 212 F. Steam-Pressure Method is for foods that are low-acid foods, which must be heated to temperature of 240 F to destroy bacterial spores.

I also looked at 3 different canned goods. Diced tomatoes Italian style which I thought would be the boiling water method, Whole kernel corn, I thought would be the Steam Pressure canning method, and last was some Applesauce, which I thought would be made using the boiling water method.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2018 :  09:50:24 AM  Show Profile
Sheila LaPoint (VT Oma, #5766) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I brought my supplies up from the cellar and washed them up. I realized I had to run to the store for more lids. I made 2 different kinds of jam.

1. Organic Strawberry Jam, I went to an organic strawberry pick your own place the day before.
2. Rhubarb Jam where I picked the rhubarb from my yard, I bought some rhubarb jam from a road side stand and it was very good, so I wanted to try making some.

I cooked the fruit and Liquid Certo when it was ready I put it into hot jars sealed them and then put them into the water bath for 10 min. took them out and had them on the counter waiting to hear the ping which meant the jar was sealed, I also looked to see if the center of the lid was indented. All my jam sealed: 5 strawberry jam and 5 rhubarb jam.

My husband said the little bit of strawberry jam that was in the pot tasted good, he cleaned it up. I will be sharing some of my jam with my sister in-law and a niece, and will explain the process and my recipe with them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  10:26:16 AM  Show Profile
Gae Gundersen-Barry (GGBQuilter, #7534) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I recently read the book 'The Secret Life of Bees' and watched the movie. My garden has established bee friendly plants: yarrow, beebalm, lamb's ear and lilac.

I was happy that my niece had the book and I was able to borrow it. She also enjoyed the movie and suggested I watch it after I finished the book! This has been a fun badge for me plus my niece! She is thrilled that I am earning badges. I am happy that I already had a few bee friendly plants in my garden!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  10:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Gae Gundersen-Barry (GGBQuilter, #7534) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“This badge has already been earned! I am fortunate to share that my dogs have always been pampered and that their Vet has a holistic practice. Flower essence from Green Hope Farms is endorsed and very beneficial for Honey & Macie. They know when a box has arrived in the mail! They each take MSM as well. Dog food has always been researched and Honey and Macie have been enjoying GMO free food for quite some time.

Healthy pups! That is the result of an outstanding Vet, flower essence, MSM and GMO free food! So thankful I can pamper Honey and Macie!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  10:28:38 AM  Show Profile
Gae Gundersen-Barry (GGBQuilter, #7534) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“This level badge has already been earned! Honey and Macie are not exposed to toxic products. Apple Cider Vinegar is used as a preventative for ticks & fleas. Both pups are spayed and have regular check-ups. Titre levels are checked to avoid unnecessary shots. Honey and Macie live toxic free happy and healthy lives!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  10:29:33 AM  Show Profile
Gae Gundersen-Barry (GGBQuilter, #7534) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“Being a person who now basically lives an 'unplugged' life, it is easy to earn this badge. I did not have to unplug for an extended period of time because I'm rarely plugged in! Several years ago, I started to realize the amount of time I was plugged in at work and the strain it was putting on my body. I made unplugging at home a priority. I have been retired for a year and am thrilled that I can be unplugged almost daily!

Being unplugged is a wonderful experience as there is so much less stress on my eyes, neck and back! There is also more time to sew, read or just sit and enjoy the sounds of nature!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2018 :  09:50:42 AM  Show Profile
Ann Gee (#7351) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a full apron by using a panel and fussy cutting it. I used the large picture on the panel for the bottom of the apron and added fabric that matched and added some ruffle also. I appliqued a smaller picture that was on the panel for the top and used Velcro on one end of the neck piece to attach the pc that goes over the neck.

I spent a lot of time on this but I was very happy with the results. I wore it to my quilt groups meeting where we all wore aprons that we made. Wow, such fun aprons!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2018 :  12:21:19 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I researched the opportunities that having a library card for my area afforded me. I also read two books that were on my TBR list. Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy and Bone Gap by Laura Ruby, I shared this on my blog.

Bone Gap ended up being one of my favorite reads this year. I enjoyed the magical realism aspect and read it in one sitting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2018 :  12:26:20 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“What is the supreme law of the land? - The Constitution
What does the Constitution do? - It establishes America's national government and laws of the land, as well as guarantees it's citizens certain basic rights.
The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are they? - We the People
What do we call the first 10 amendments to the Constitution? - Bill of Rights
Name two rights or two freedoms listed in the First Amendment (five are possible). - Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion
What did the Declaration of Independence do? - Declares United States independent from Britain
Name two rights in the Declaration of Independence (three are possible). - life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
What is freedom of religion? - One of the freedoms protected in the bill of rights, but it means that Americans are free to choose their religion without fear of persecution from the government
What is the economic system in the United States? - Capitalism
What is the "rule of law"? - the restriction of the arbitrary exercise of power by subordinating it to well-defined and established laws

I was really thrilled that for beginner through expert I hardly had to research anything and that I remembered so much from school about our government. I thought doing this exercise was a great way to celebrate Independence Day. Read about it on my blog.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2018 :  12:27:49 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“Name the three branches of government. – Legislative, Judicial and Executive
What keeps one branch of government from becoming too powerful? – Checks and Balances system, i.e. president can veto laws, judicial branch can challenge and bring rulings on laws, Congress can pass with 2/3rds votes
Who is in charge of the executive branch? – The President of the United States
Who makes the federal laws? – United States Congress
What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress? – House of Representatives and US Senate
How many U.S. Senators are there? 100 Senators
Name one of your state’s U.S. Senators and one of your state’s U.S. Representatives. Nancy Pelosi, US Representative & Kamala Harris, Senator
What is the term of a U.S. Senator? 6 years
What is the term of a U.S. Representative? 2 years
What is the term of the President? 4 years
Who is the Commander in Chief of the military? The President
Who signs bills to become laws? The President

I learned who my senators and representatives are, which is great since I'm in a new place. Everything else I knew from either discussions with my political friends or from school. Read about this post on my blog.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2018 :  12:28:54 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“Who vetoes bills? The President
What does the judicial branch do? They verify that the laws passed are within the parameters of the Constitution
What is the highest court in the United States? The Supreme Court
How many justices are on the Supreme Court? 9
Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now? Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Under our Constitution, some powers belong solely to the federal government. Name two (four are possible). Regulate commerce with foreign countries, Coin money
Under our Constitution, some powers belong solely to the states. Name two (five are possible). Education of residents, ownership of property
Who is the Governor of your state now? Jerry Brown
What is the capital of your state? Sacramento
What are the two major political parties in the United States? Democratic and Republican
What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now? Paul Ryan

I didn't know a lot of the answers to these questions, so I feel like I really learned something about the powers states and the federal government have. I also found out who my new governor is! Read about this post on my blog.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2018 :  12:32:21 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“I did comprehensive research to answer the following questions:
Research the difference between rocks and minerals.
According to the United States Geological Survey,

'A mineral is a naturally occurring inorganic element or compound having an orderly internal structure and characteristic chemical composition, crystal form, and physical properties.

'A rock is an aggregate of one or more minerals, or a body of undifferentiated mineral matter.'

Learn about the characteristics of minerals and identify the three types of rocks.
There are 5 characteristics of minerals. They are:

Solid
Formed by inorganic processes
Naturally occuring
Definite chemical composition
Definite crystalline structure
There are three types of rocks:

Igneous Rocks – solidify from molten rock
Sedimentary Rocks – these rocks are layered
Metamorphic Rocks – these form where sedimentary, igneous or preexisting metamorphic rocks are changed by heat pressure and/or chemically reactive waters.
(per American Museum of Natural History)

Research the ways rocks and minerals are used in our everyday life.
Rocks and minerals are used in many varieties of ways in our daily lives. I chose the top 5 ways that I found most interesting and had not heard of before.

Beryllium – used in the manufacturing of light, X-Ray tubes and by the nuclear industry
Gypsum – used in the manufacture of ‘sheetrock; or wallboard
Molybdenite – when alloyed with other metals, this improves hardness. Used principally in catalytic converters but also to make jewelry
Soda Ash – used to make glass containers
Vanadium – used in metal alloys for aerospace applications

Detailed here.

I was refreshed on geology from elementary school, so that was really interesting. I also learned about uses for minerals I never knew existed such as Soda Ash and Vanadium.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2018 :  12:35:29 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I started a latch hooking project. I've been latch hooking since I was little, but haven't done it in years. I've spent over 25 hours on this project so far and I'm barely 30% of the way through!

So far so good. I'm really enjoying the way it is turning out and am looking forward to giving it to my mom for her birthday.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  12:54:46 PM  Show Profile
Ann Socolofsky (#7692) has received certificates of achievement in Each Other for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I am glad to be a part of the farm girl community. I have followed the magazines for years and I decided to take the plunge.

I would like to be recognized for the Entrepreneur Badge. I believe I have achieved all three levels.

In 1998 I was diagnosed with a serious lung disease called pulmonary hypertension. I was a newly divorced mother with sons, aged 9 and 7. Although I was trained as a family physician, I soon discovered that it was hard to keep a regular clinical schedule and care for my sons and my personal health. I went on disability for a short time, but that didn’t suit me at all, so I created my own business.

I started American Medical Exams, PA in 2006. I specialized in the medical work up that is required for all immigrants who become legal United States citizens. This requires a special certification from the government as a civil surgeon. Over the years I have helped more than 2300 people, from countries all over the world, become US citizens. (At last count, 33% were from Mexico, 20% were from India, and the remainder were from every continent except Antarctica.) I have taught other physicians how to do the same work that I have done.

In addition, I expanded the work at my office. I have provided help for military veterans with disabilities and for uninsured patients. I think this meets all three levels of the badge. (Here is my website.)

I am still doing clinical work part time. I am also developing a blog to help other physicians find ways to work when they face similar problems.

However, I am slowing down to devote time to my family and hopefully, find a farm of my own. I look forward to having the time to work on more merit badges and make friends within the community.

If I can help other women become successful entrepreneurs, I would be happy to provide this service to the community.

I have now been a successful entrepreneur for more than 12 years!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  1:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Spohn (#7469) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“I turned a 3" x 3" tiny tin into an accordion scrapbook. Unfortunately, my father recently passed away so I wanted to make a keepsake of memories for my mom who was, of course, very sad and depressed. When you open the tin and open the accordion card stock pages filled with favorite photo moments and uplifting phrases, it is meant to bring a smile to my mom's face.

I am very happy to say that the mini scrapbook has made my mom very happy and she even carries it with her in her purse. She said she is able to open it whenever she is feeling blue and it lifts her spirits.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  1:38:49 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Cox (OneRedZinnia, #5585) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Calligraphy Merit Badge!

“Using different mediums I created a sign which reads "Some See A Weed Some See A Wish".

I did my best but I have to admit Calligraphy is not my area of expertise! I used different mediums to create my sign. I used different nibs and then also used colored chalk. It is a small 5x7 sign which I will display in my craft room. I'm glad I tried this craft. I now know how its done. Even though I struggle with getting it to look uniform I know with more practice I will get there!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  1:48:19 PM  Show Profile
Deb Anderson (#7670) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a half apron from some curtain material I had left over. I found the idea/picture on Pinterest. I spent 2.5 hours in total on the project. I completed this apron on the fourteenth of July this year.

My apron turned out so well I am going to give it to a friend that I will be visiting on vacation.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  1:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Tina Smith (TinaSmith, #7472) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I made a simple stitch blanket. I combined several simple stitches I recalled from childhood, and just kept adding until it turned into a small throw blanket.

It turned out good. First time I have not made a triangle! I tend to loose count, and end up with odd shapes lol.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  2:05:17 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (#4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level In The Garden Merit Badge!

“I took poles we have had left over from fencing and tied them up with left over baler twine. I then planted pole beans and Scarlet runners around the poles.

This is the best results I have had. This photo was taken a few weeks ago. The beans are reaching the top of the pole! Very happy every time I look at it!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page